Melbourne Football

Friday 24th March. Melbourne City vs WSW. KO:7:50

kingofhearts

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Good to see that whipper snapper Jackobsen getting promoted into the seniors

I'll believe it when I see.  Ha.

Seriously a massive in and of course the whole goalkeeping question to be answered. And a win here which won't be easy would go a long way to locking in 3rd.

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Seriously a massive in and of course the whole goalkeeping question to be answered. And a win here which won't be easy would go a long way to locking in 3rd.

Should have added /sarcasm. 

I agree with you. Maybe he went under some other treatment given what happend to Koren and hassnt been cleared as of yet

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Melbourne City FC: 1.Thomas SORENSEN (GK), 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3.Josh ROSE, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 6.Osama MALIK, 8.Neil KILKENNY, 9.Nicolas COLAZO, 10.Anthony CACERES, 11.Bruce KAMAU, 12.Nick FITZGERALD, 14.Daniel ARZANI, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Dean BOUZANIS (GK), 21.Ruon TONGYIK, 22.Michael JAKOBSEN 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 34.Denis GENREAU

Ins: 14.Daniel ARZANI (promoted), 20.Dean BOUZANIS (GK) (returns from suspension), 22.Michael JAKOBSEN (promoted) 34.Denis GENREAU (promoted)

Outs: 17.Tim CAHILL (international duty), 40.Yaren SOZER (omitted)

Unavailable: 7.Corey GAMEIRO (ACL – season), 27.Fernando BRANDAN (ACL – season), 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI (ACL – season)

My XI:

-----------------------Sorenson-------------------------------

Franjic---------Jakobsen----Tonyik---------------Rose

------------------------Kilkenny--------------------------------

------------------Caceras---Brattan-------------------------

Fitzy-----------------Fornaroli----------------------Colazo

Subs: Bouzanis, Malik, Kamau, Muscat, Retre

Valkanis Predicted XI:

-----------------------Sorenson-------------------------------

Franjic-----------Malik----Tonyik-------------------Rose

------------------------Kilkenny--------------------------------

------------------Retre---------Brattan-------------------------

Caceras--------------Fornaroli----------------------Colazo

Subs: Bouzanis, Genreau, Kamau, Muscat, Fitzy

I would go

Sorensen 

Franjic    Ruon    Jakobsen    Rose

Kilkenny      Brattan 

Fitzy           Caceras          Colazo 

Fornaroli 

Bouzanis Malik Retre Kamau Genreau 

• Like 3

We have the worst draw of the contenders for third place, with only one home match. Win and we stay in 3rd, and put more pressure on those chasing us. Lose and the pressure likely comes back on us in our remaining three matches. Logic tells me we must field our strongest side and maximise our chances of winning.

18 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

As unpredictable as this club is, I don't think Valkanis is that stupid. Even if they're both Greek

Doesn't help his cause (being greek) and he's continued the tradition of dumbfounding decisions.  Playing Malik and not Fitzy in recent weeks as prime examples. 

But surely for the love of god he can't bring in Bouzanis now. I've got zero confidence.

47 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I have this bad feeling Bouzanis is going to get the starting spot back

Well, if that happens I will be concluding that Sorensen did something early this season that blotted his copybook on a permanent basis. In terms of football, there is no logical reason whatsoever to change back to Bouzanis.

Edited by jw1739

44 minutes ago, haz said:

The best clubs in each league continuously put out their strongest XI

its not exactly ground breaking innovation is it? Picking your best side?

there I was thinking every team in the country would do the same every single week. Shows how little I know.

13 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

One day we want flexibility, the next we want the same team every single week.

Every team needs to be flexible with depth, but realistically you need to keep the same (high performance) XI. If one of these starting players gets injured/suspended then a bench player will have to step up into the starting side with no problems. Once again I refer to Sydney, look at the players on their bench.

6 hours ago, Jovan said:

Looks like a pretty clear case of the coaching staff and the media team not getting their stories straight. Jakobsen didn't even rate a mention in the team news article.

Reading between the lines, I would have thought that if Jakobsen was actually expected to play, he'd be the first or second (after Cahill) player mentioned in that article.I'd bet $50 he doesn't suit up.

Friday’s clash will see the two in-form sides go head-to-head with City looking to cement their spot in the top three while the Wanderers will be fighting to secure a finals spot.

City will see Tim Cahill exit the side through international duty as the forward prepares to play a part against Iraq and UAE in the national team’s crucial qualifiers.

Daniel Arzani, Denis Genreau and Braedyn Crowley have been added to the extended squad for the contest but Michael Valkanis may look to last week’s bench to replace Cahill in the eleven with Nick Fitzgerald and Bruce Kamau having an immediate impact off the sidelines.

Goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis also returns to the squad after serving his five-week suspension. Competition for the number one jersey will heat up once again with the impressive form of Thomas Sorensen during Bouzanis’ suspension period.

- See more at: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/team-news-city-name-squad-to-take-on-wanderers/1e42lk4ksid7b1eihp1xgegj59#sthash.KGg6VIln.dpuf
Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/team-news-city-name-squad-to-take-on-wanderers/1e42lk4ksid7b1eihp1xgegj59#c6BTLIfS3wtrksSL.99

Edited by SF33

10 hours ago, SF33 said:

Looks like a pretty clear case of the coaching staff and the media team not getting their stories straight. Jakobsen didn't even rate a mention in the team news article.

Reading between the lines, I would have thought that if Jakobsen was actually expected to play, he'd be the first or second (after Cahill) player mentioned in that article.I'd bet $50 he doesn't suit up.

Jakobsen has been missing so often that the media team has forgotten that he is in the squad.

Edited by jw1739

15 minutes ago, neio said:

No jakobsen again,  bloody ridiculous this is getting 

City have flip-flopped on this for several weeks now. His omission doesn't surprise me after this article this morning.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city-press-for-third-spot-as-michael-valkanis-sweats-on-michael-jakobsen-injury-20170323-gv4ozm.html

"Another Dane, key defender Michael Jakobsen, was due to travel with the squad to Sydney but Valkanis and his assistants will leave it as late as possible to make a decision on whether he can play.

Jakobsen (calf) has missed several games now – in fact Valkanis has only had him available for one full game since he replaced John van 't Schip  – and he is loathe to do anything that may compromise his fitness for the finals series."

I'm surprised to see Colazo replaced by Kamau. The combination last match of having Kamau run at the defence in the last 20 minutes worked well - why change? As it is, Kamau will be stuffed after 60, and Colazo doesn't have the pace. In contrast, WSW are unchanged.

Edited by jw1739

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 6:15 PM, Jovan said:

I would go

Sorensen 

Franjic    Ruon    Jakobsen    Rose

Kilkenny      Brattan 

Fitzy           Caceras          Colazo 

Fornaroli 

Bouzanis Malik Retre Kamau G

Edited by Jovan

15 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

No Jakobsen Jesus.  Whyd we get rid of Chapman ffs

I wouldn't think they're that stupid. Most likely Chapman signed the Korean contract and Jakobson injured himself the next day or the scans came back with a injury worse then first thought.

Or....... The CFG coaching group have a hatred of Danes, since Sorenson has been in the squad they left Jakobsen out STAY WOKE!

Edited by haz