Melbourne Football
Hellenic Hero

2017 AFL Season

cadete    6,081
On 19/10/2017 at 4:08 PM, hedaik said:

Surely we've now made up for all our shit trades/picks from our early years

Nope, with his hand picked squad of Claremont mates and relatives Nesham will always remain the Caligula of recruiting.

The Aardvark    290

Can't believe how overrated draft picks are.

I can understand the thinking from GC with the Weller trade, a bird in the hand and all that. It's probably slightly overpriced (and massively considering the actual trade market) but really Weller is a gun, and if presented with a choice between a young player who has already had two seasons of AFL development put into him where he has shown he is atleast a very good player and actually wants to come to your club as opposed to a very talented 18 year old that has yet to play against men and based on previous recruits is a 40% chance of leaving inside of 4 years then I'd be picking the former.

By no means would I advocate regularly trading out high draft picks, but if you can get genuine quality you should take that opportunity, especially considering draft picks are at best a 50% shot of actually being good players, and I'm including top ten picks in that.

Shahanga    3,617
4 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

Can't believe how overrated draft picks are.

I can understand the thinking from GC with the Weller trade, a bird in the hand and all that. It's probably slightly overpriced (and massively considering the actual trade market) but really Weller is a gun, and if presented with a choice between a young player who has already had two seasons of AFL development put into him where he has shown he is atleast a very good player and actually wants to come to your club as opposed to a very talented 18 year old that has yet to play against men and based on previous recruits is a 40% chance of leaving inside of 4 years then I'd be picking the former.

By no means would I advocate regularly trading out high draft picks, but if you can get genuine quality you should take that opportunity, especially considering draft picks are at best a 50% shot of actually being good players, and I'm including top ten picks in that.

Your logic is sound. Just shits me that we give OMeara, who IF he gets his knees right will be another Gablett, for what, pick 10, then the next year fork out pick 2 for Weller who I know nothing about. 

As a club if you continue to accept unders and pay overs your future will be bleak.