Melbourne Football

2017 AFL Season

Hellenic Hero

4 hours ago, hedaik said:

Hawthorn could get the next 10 wooden spoons and no other opposition supporter would have anything on them

Um, for arguments sake what if Geelong continue to make finals in this period like they have for what will probably be ten seasons at the end of this Season if things dont fall apart?

Personally I would take the Three instead of Four Flags in the first ten years (2007-2017), if it meant supporting a side who continued to remain competitive and play finals for the next ten rather than finish dead last (2018 to 2028). There is also the possibility of what if Geelong managed to win a Flag in this period as well...

I know PPL will say I am being flippant in the way I am talking about Flags (I know I am too - ESP when responding to a Freo Fan) but rocking up and standing in the Outer to watch your lifelong side lose badly week after week when you have grown accustomed to them winning sounds like too much of a massive emotional drain to me.

Carlton did everything possible (legal and illegal) for the 1995 Flag but has the bulk of the last twenty years been worth it???

Its actually not an emotional drain. Geelong supporters keep pretending they reached the Hawks status but they know they didnt, thats why they're not satisfied yet, hence your comment. Geelong is the old man dying with regrets while Hawthorn fucked 300 girls and went fishing with their son every weekend. The other factor is Geelong haven't ended a Hawthorn season in over 60 years, the Kennett cruse was actually in reverse it only came out when the games actually mattered. Hawthorn will always have a leg up on Geelong supporters they know it deep down, you can pretend you'd rather have 3 flags and bunch of mediocre finals appearances but hawks winning 4 with 3peat will always haunt your poor souls, (even if we collect enough spoons over the next 10 yeas to start a soup kitchen for the homeless.)

1 hour ago, HeartFc said:

Its actually not an emotional drain. Geelong supporters keep pretending they reached the Hawks status but they know they didnt, thats why they're not satisfied yet, hence your comment. Geelong is the old man dying with regrets while Hawthorn fucked 300 girls and went fishing with their son every weekend. The other factor is Geelong haven't ended a Hawthorn season in over 60 years, the Kennett cruse was actually in reverse it only came out when the games actually mattered. Hawthorn will always have a leg up on Geelong supporters they know it deep down, you can pretend you'd rather have 3 flags and bunch of mediocre finals appearances but hawks winning 4 with 3peat will always haunt your poor souls, (even if we collect enough spoons over the next 10 yeas to start a soup kitchen for the homeless.)

Ten years is a long time in "Hawthorn Time" mate...

In 1997 you were almost taken over by a club who has not won a Flag since The Beatles visited Melbourne, in fact over a third of your paltry WASP Membership at the time (This was prior to the Family Club becoming a Family for Everyone) voted for the Takeover to actually occur despite you having won a Flag six years prior and no Wooden Spoons since.

Melbourne-Hawks-1-1.gif

Also FWIW its 2017 - With Social Media and Tinder from what I can see its actually far harder to date one descent Group One Girl you actually want to hang out with than it is to rack numbers up on your "Fuck Count" by spending your time swiping and texting with a bunch of Class One Scrubbers.

In saying that I respect what your club has done just like I did when I first starting watching your senior group of players in the very late 80's who scared the shit out of me when I was six. I often find myself in footy discussions with PPL having to remind others how good those sides actually were in comparison to other great sides and player for player its almost impossible to go past those teams.

I also agree you blokes have always been the team we cant beat. I was even really worried back in 2007 that your Green Side back then would make the GF due to this thinking and I have never ever believed the curse was over. (It is like Richmond with us - I can barely recall us losing to them in thirty years.)

Edited by cadete

Yes we were shit, the club and was on its knees and we almost merged. We were ridden off by all and got no help from the AFL... but guess what... like batman we climbed out of a hole fillled with filthy Turkish men and fought our way to glory. A true underdog story for the ages. Probably the proudest accomplishment in our history...

not sure why it's constantly brought up as a negative. 🤔 

Firstly they don't even play the same position and never have. One is genuine small forward the other is roaming half forward who pinch hits on the ball 20% of most games. Stats prove this. Cyril has more inside 50's, more tackles and possession averages and Betts has marks and goals over Rioli. Interestingly Rioli has the second best assist average in the AFL since he started his career and Betts is not too far behind in that stat. 

Secondly Cyril's influence on a game is huge. Pressure acts and goal assists, thats what he does best. Those are the stats you don't see, he's played a massive part in us winning so many of our flags. I'm choosing Rioli over Betts 7 days a week, mainly because he fits our structure better. 

Id say Rioli is a better big game player too but I guess we'll never know... Betts has never played in a big game. 

408286_gl.jpg

32 minutes ago, Hackett said:

Big call...

Haha first time ive ever seen that unbelievably. Bruce’s is still worse; at least Blight kicked it where he meant to, even if it wasn’t actually the goals.

I’ve seen some bad misses, but to miss running dead straight from 2 ½ metres out, not a snap, no pressure etc, Bruce’s is definitely the worst in my book.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Been his issue forever, won't change now.

Its a shame because he can do everything else. 

He's quite a solid contested mark and leads well, just his kicking will decide whether or not we win games as seen on sunday.

12 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

He's quite a solid contested mark and leads well, just his kicking will decide whether or not we win games as seen on sunday.

I really thought last week was a turning point. The coming of Joe. Guess not :(

12 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

I saw him play in his first Season at Windy Hill against Port in like his third game of VFL, he kicked something like five straight or five goals and one point and most of the shots were from 40 metres out and a few on angles.

I reckon he can still get there... as Tom Hawkins went from being a good kick in his initial few games to a crap kick and then back to one of the more reliable shots from a Key Forward in the League.

Seriously its pretty fucken funny how nobody will say what Sellwood was going about to Pendles after/during the match...

Everyone in town knows that a large portion of his 2010 Premiership Teammates (and some current pies players - although most are gone) has made the bloke very unpopular amongst the Victorian Footballer Fraternity in general.

I dont know what Pendles really expects... he has not said it this Season but he has a few times as captain he has called out his Teammates efforts to the press... no wonder his seen as Buckley's Boy.

9 hours ago, cadete said:

I saw him play in his first Season at Windy Hill against Port in like his third game of VFL, he kicked something like five straight or five goals and one point and most of the shots were from 40 metres out and a few on angles.

I reckon he can still get there... as Tom Hawkins went from being a good kick in his initial few games to a crap kick and then back to one of the more reliable shots from a Key Forward in the League.

Agree with that. He's still reasonable young (23) so he's going to still be a bit up and down. He knows he can kick well, he just has to back himself.

I'm more worried that we haven't really got another tall up froward to take the workload off him tbh. The cale hooker experiment needs to end.

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Agree with that. He's still reasonable young (23) so he's going to still be a bit up and down. He knows he can kick well, he just has to back himself.

I'm more worried that we haven't really got another tall up froward to take the workload off him tbh. The cale hooker experiment needs to end.

Well Hurley is more of a fucken forward than bloody Harry Taylor...

On 02/05/2017 at 9:11 PM, cadete said:

Well Hurley is more of a fucken forward than bloody Harry Taylor...

Its so bloody frustrating watching Harry wander around aimlessly in the forward line. Its only when we are 20pts down does Scott move him to the backline where he looks 1000x better. I have no idea why we dont play fucken Black or Stanley as the 2nd tall

21 hours ago, rayv36 said:

Its so bloody frustrating watching Harry wander around aimlessly in the forward line. Its only when we are 20pts down does Scott move him to the backline where he looks 1000x better. I have no idea why we dont play fucken Black or Stanley as the 2nd tall

Taylor played as a forward at East Freo - My brother used to watch him. (I had moved to Melbourne permanently by then.)

So the fact he was recruited with a early pick a bit older to be a Defender from those performances who could come straight into the team says a lot.

I think we get enough out of Menzel and Hawk on the counter attack that what we really just need someone whose good at assisting the midfield at feeding these guys quicker at Half Forward.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Can someone tell me the point of the port and gc suns game being played in China is?

Main Reason : $$$$$$$$$$$ 

2nd Reason : $$$$$

(daylight)

3rd Reason : Expanding the game

9 hours ago, bt50 said:

Main Reason : $$$$$$$$$$$ 

2nd Reason : $$$$$

(daylight)

3rd Reason : Expanding the game

8 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

With 10,000 capacity stadium and the Chinese not showing it on TV I am not sure where the money is coming from.

Beat me to it but this.

Plus having the players play in the shit conditions over there, will the coaches even risk playing their big name players?

I can understand trying to get a foothold in the lucrative Asian market but to myself anyway, i would've gone to New Zealand first if you're looking to expand the game.

8 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Beat me to it but this.

Plus having the players play in the shit conditions over there, will the coaches even risk playing their big name players?

I can understand trying to get a foothold in the lucrative Asian market but to myself anyway, i would've gone to New Zealand first if you're looking to expand the game.

Kiwis are completely uninterested. NZ Union daylight then the NRL. I can't see the afl ever making meaningful progress there

Its a bit more extensive than simply the game, but the PA deal with Chinese backers is exceptionally lucrative, and will get substantially bigger if they can get it to take off over there. And by take off that means fill the ground, and have a demand for it next time; the population of Shanghai is roughly the same as the population of Australia so it wont take much of an interest to clear that amount comfortably. NZ in comparison has a population of about 4.5mil.

Its abetter option than NZ in every way except the practicality of the actual game.

Edited by bt50

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

Its a bit more extensive than simply the game, but the PA deal with Chinese backers is exceptionally lucrative, and will get substantially bigger if they can get it to take off over there. And by take off that means fill the ground, and have a demand for it next time; the population of Shanghai is roughly the same as the population of Australia so it wont take much of an interest to clear that amount comfortably. NZ in comparison has a population of about 4.5mil.

Its abetter option than NZ in every way except the practicality of the actual game.

Sorry completely disagree.

nothingvto do about AFL, seems to be about promoting Australia in China. Austrade or something are kicking in a heap of cash.

Complete bullshit we are giving up a home game for this circus. On top of everything we had to leave Swallow behind so he doesn't die of asphyxiation & he had been a huge force in our change in form. Why they couldn't of had this circus in the off season/ pre-season I'll never know. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

nothingvto do about AFL, seems to be about promoting Australia in China. Austrade or something are kicking in a heap of cash.

Complete bullshit we are giving up a home game for this circus. On top of everything we had to leave Swallow behind so he doesn't die of asphyxiation & he had been a huge force in our change in form. Why they couldn't of had this circus in the off season/ pre-season I'll never know. 

If I hear "for premiership points" again this week I may just give up on footy.

15 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

If I hear "for premiership points" again this week I may just give up on footy.

On that... What's the point of Premiership Points these days anymore?

The Final Eight long has made the Home and Away Season more and more irrelevant, and now we have a Rest Week for all eight teams rather than before the Grand Final.

Matches need to mean something...

16 hours ago, Shahanga said:

What exactly do you disagree with? I'm not saying I'm in favour of the deal at all, but that the primary motivation behind the deal is money.

On 2017-5-10 at 4:48 PM, thisphantomfortress said:

Kiwis are completely uninterested. NZ Union daylight then the NRL. I can't see the afl ever making meaningful progress there

Well then it seems no one outside of Aus cares about the game, then if thats the case they might as well play the game in some local rural town like Morwell or Albury/wodonga, 2 great places to have live sport ;)

But seriously after hearing that the AFL expect that half the crowd will be made up from people travelling from Aus to see it, what a pointless endeavour this is

11 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Well then it seems no one outside of Aus cares about the game, then if thats the case they might as well play the game in some local rural town like Morwell or Albury/wodonga, 2 great places to have live sport ;)

But seriously after hearing that the AFL expect that half the crowd will be made up from people travelling from Aus to see it, what a pointless endeavour this is

I liked shanghai, dunno how people from Adelaide (read racists) will cope

13 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Could play a bendigo diggers under 15s intra club game up there and they wouldn't know the difference. They sell us fake handbags, why don't we just sell them fake athletes. 

LOL - I remember seeing Port play the Diggers in their last season...

The Diggers wore some hideous White Away Kit and got pumped. The game got real boring real fast so the Ferals in the pocket picked out a short bloke out of the Record and we gave him shit for the entire last quarter calling out his name whenever he came near our vicinity.

At the end of the match the bloke started heading our way to throw down... his teammates were literally telling him to calm down and were holding the guy back from us.

• Like 1