Melbourne Football

2017 AFL Season

Hellenic Hero

Can't believe how overrated draft picks are.

I can understand the thinking from GC with the Weller trade, a bird in the hand and all that. It's probably slightly overpriced (and massively considering the actual trade market) but really Weller is a gun, and if presented with a choice between a young player who has already had two seasons of AFL development put into him where he has shown he is atleast a very good player and actually wants to come to your club as opposed to a very talented 18 year old that has yet to play against men and based on previous recruits is a 40% chance of leaving inside of 4 years then I'd be picking the former.

By no means would I advocate regularly trading out high draft picks, but if you can get genuine quality you should take that opportunity, especially considering draft picks are at best a 50% shot of actually being good players, and I'm including top ten picks in that.

4 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

Can't believe how overrated draft picks are.

I can understand the thinking from GC with the Weller trade, a bird in the hand and all that. It's probably slightly overpriced (and massively considering the actual trade market) but really Weller is a gun, and if presented with a choice between a young player who has already had two seasons of AFL development put into him where he has shown he is atleast a very good player and actually wants to come to your club as opposed to a very talented 18 year old that has yet to play against men and based on previous recruits is a 40% chance of leaving inside of 4 years then I'd be picking the former.

By no means would I advocate regularly trading out high draft picks, but if you can get genuine quality you should take that opportunity, especially considering draft picks are at best a 50% shot of actually being good players, and I'm including top ten picks in that.

Your logic is sound. Just shits me that we give OMeara, who IF he gets his knees right will be another Gablett, for what, pick 10, then the next year fork out pick 2 for Weller who I know nothing about. 

As a club if you continue to accept unders and pay overs your future will be bleak.

• 4 months later...

As usual the Preseason AFL predictions from the media are doing my head in...

I think I have read 100 times about basically every club how they may wish to emulate the success that Richmond had with a small forward line like it was some insane masterstroke of coaching and a unbeatable strategy to play against.

The reality is that Richmond just like the Bulldogs before them won the flag because about six sides could have won the flag as the comp was so even  due to being diluted by the two newer clubs that whoever got the most luck was going to go a long way to winning the thing. We all know about the Bulldogs luck but who says the same will not happen again (I bet it will).

The biggest reason Richmond won the flag was not a small forward line, not even the dominance of Dusty (Albeit that is the second reason which shows how the standard of play has dropped that a player can dominate at a 1989 Ablett Snr like level in the modern age).

NO - its the simple fact that only one bloke who had never played a game before was on their injury list prior to the final series and throughout the entire final series. In a Season so even that Geelong (Never a Flag chance) beat both Richmond and Adelaide most AFL coaches with a full list of a top eight side should make the Grand Final at the least.

Edit - Before some Richmond nut has a crack at me I do understand that the Tigers Doctors deserve some Credit like Geelong's back in 2007, but I am not being petty here... If I was I would bring up how weeks prior to when we meet the Tigers in the finals we won and deserved to win against them at our actual home ground.

Edited by cadete

• 4 weeks later...