Melbourne Football

2017 AFL Season

Hellenic Hero

3 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Was a cracker game,  borough boys got a lot of ticker.  They looked completely gone when they were down by 13 with what 4 minutes to go,  to fight back the way they did,  what a win. 

If Richmond had kicked one more after there first two in the last term they had it won...

What generally happens when we are playing a side with a lot of AFL players away from home in that its even at three quarter line (usually we are goal in front) and then often the AFL side will kick around three goals through some quick pieces of play. 

And then the AFL sides can hold on to the footy usually due to their players being trained how to play in more complex systems (ESP down back) than we use and we end up running out of time by being hurried when we actually finally do get the ball. 

However when the AFL sides fail to get far away from us that we still have a sniff then its game on... because the Port players are playing for keeps opposed to blokes playing who lets face it are playing more for themselves  than anything else.

1 hour ago, Thrillhouse said:

corrupt cunts, what a fucking joke that shitcunt cotchin is playing this week 

Magical twists of luck seem to appear on the horizon of all apparent AFL Fairy tales... and "The Tiger Army" has been longest and worst written of all the Fairy Tales written by the AFL and its Associated Press Agencies.

Home Finals, Brownlow Suspensions for Opponents, Finals Non Suspensions for Captains... its been a Pat Cash like finals draw and even Adelaide appear to be a boring Ivan Lendl like opponent for them to beat in an over hyped Grand Final.

Also maybe the papers could report the most obvious reason why Richmond are winning games of football: That they have entire List to pick from with only five gamer Nathan Drummond unable to be selected. Anyone in AFL knows injuries determine your chances more than anything else.

(It should be noted 19 AFL listed match fit Tigers players lost to The Borough yesterday).

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

I disagree with the MRP rulings based on outcomes rather than intent, but if there was any consistency at all Cotchin shouldn't be playing this week. The Barry Hall incident is the perfect precedent in that there does seem to be way more leniency at the MRP if finals are at stake. 

However I'm glad it was thrown out since it would've been a travesty to miss a GF for a hit that came about only because Cotchin went harder and lower than Shiel, and actually protected his body.

Edited by Nate
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Nate said:

I disagree with the MRP rulings based on outcomes rather than intent, but if there was any consistency at all Cotchin shouldn't be playing this week. The Barry Hall incident is the perfect precedent in that there does seem to be way more leniency at the MRP if finals are at stake. 

However I'm glad it was thrown out since it would've been a travesty to miss a GF for a hit that came about only because Cotchin went harder and lower than Shiel, and actually protected his body.

I have not cared about the Brownlow for ages now... TBH for years I reckon its lost its prestige and is more for Occasional Punters than anything else. Bingo for Footy Fans.

When Matt Pridis won the thing it confirmed in my head it was the Football Equivalent of the Modern Melbourne Cup where G2 European Raiders come over to take a race which our Good WFA Horses now bypass but over ten years ago used to win.

(And at both events some WAGs' get tanned up for the event and steal the show.)

However it be pretty funny if Danger managed to poll the same as Dusty when you consider his MRP case outcome and then the MRP case against Cotchin and its outcome.

Edited by cadete

1 hour ago, Thrillhouse said:

2nd year running a team of shitcunts have won it :droy:
here's hoping the afl feels so bad for how shit a coach bucks is we get gifted 1 soon 

2016 - Dogs Fairytale

2017 - Tiges Fairytale

2018 - Dees Fairytale confirmed.

P.S. never speak ill of lord bucks.

Up until a few weeks ago, despite having lived in Melbourne for about a decade, I genuinely thought Richmond didn't have that many supporters.

Im genuinely shocked and appalled to realise how many of them are fair weathered and are now emerging from under their rocks to celebrate "their victory"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Up until a few weeks ago, despite having lived in Melbourne for about a decade, I genuinely thought Richmond didn't have that many supporters.

Im genuinely shocked and appalled to realise how many of them are fair weathered and are now emerging from under their rocks to celebrate "their victory"

Collingwood and Carlton are very similar. 

On 30/09/2017 at 11:58 PM, Jimmy said:

2016 - Dogs Fairytale

2017 - Tiges Fairytale

2018 - Dees Fairytale confirmed.

P.S. never speak ill of lord bucks.

The level of play in The League has been depleted by the two new teams hence these average premiers of late.

And that's not sour grapes on my  part... It Happens in horse racing all the time. You can only beats whose in front of you which what Richmond and the Dogs did.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cadete said:

The level of play in The League has been depleted by the two new teams hence these average premiers of late.

And that's not sour grapes on my  part... It Happens in horse racing all the time. You can only beats whose in front of you which what Richmond and the Dogs did.

It certainly has, which is why the "high pressure" tactic used by both teams has worked. Allows for average players to contribute more, not hard to follow and it takes very little skill. I doubt Richmond will keep it up next season, much like the doggies, it is a very September-friendly tactic. Hard to keep it up when the desire isn't there - once again see this years Bulldogs.

• Like 1

This has gone to a whole new level. So many people wandering around with Richmond merch on. The absoulte worse thing happened when I was stuck in traffic and a bloke in a banged up magna had a tigers scarf in the back window and was just pumping the Richmond theme song on repeat with all the windows down.

Kill me.

• Like 3

On 02/10/2017 at 5:22 PM, Jimmy said:

This has gone to a whole new level. So many people wandering around with Richmond merch on. The absoulte worse thing happened when I was stuck in traffic and a bloke in a banged up magna had a tigers scarf in the back window and was just pumping the Richmond theme song on repeat with all the windows down.

Kill me.

I live near the G - I couldn't move my car for four days because I would never get a space back... and had to make even supply runs I was literally besieged by the Tiger Army.

So I was like Medieval George Costanza having to deal with dudes everywhere up down my street who have finally left their Outer Suburban Patio's to have a beer elsewhere for the first time since 1993 so they are going to make it count.

Lets see how long the Media give them next year... until they concede it was a Pat Cash once off thing as the Bulldogs got way to many excuses from the Media right until the end this Season.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2017 at 9:48 AM, cadete said:

So to expand on this point: If the A-League were to add another two teams, then in your opinion the A-League will become weaker as there are not enough players to sustain a higher level of competition?

Just now, NewConvert said:

So to expand on this point: If the A-League were to add another two teams, then in your opinion the A-League will become weaker as there are not enough players to sustain a higher level of competition?

The a league has the world's worth of talent to draw from, afl (and nrl) is geographically restricted to limited playing numbers 

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

The a league has the world's worth of talent to draw from, afl (and nrl) is geographically restricted to limited playing numbers 

But the number of visa players is restricted to 5 and limited by budgets as well. And in the near future the number of visa players will be reduced to 4. And neither 4 nor 5 make a team.

11 hours ago, NewConvert said:

It depends how it's done... But you could def argue the failed Northern Expansion Clubs did not assist with the standard of play.

And the fact Hoff is still playing... I think the answer would be: Yes.

12 hours ago, NewConvert said:

This had been one of my concerns for a while. Now the expansion from 8 to 10 worked (in fact the standard probably settled at a higher level) due to the FFA going from 3 imports to 5. 

There will be no problem with imports but there will be with the Aussie half of the squad, especially if the cap doesn't move (there are still quite a few Aussies playing overseas, some might be tempted to return if there was more cash). 

It's very obvious that Australia's big drop from Professional to Semi-Pro is now the biggest problem we have with the game here.

Ethnic clubs used to run your Reserves and Late Teenage Grades for you. And they did a far better job of it as well... 

Edited by cadete

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Is there a more spineless and soulless organisation than the Suns? Folded quicker than Superman on laundry day.

Imagine the crusifiction they'd have copped from the media had they not. Papers wanted their coming home story and what with the family issues going. They would have copped a pasting. Weak yes. did they have any choice, probably not

7 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Imagine the crusifiction they'd have copped from the media had they not. Papers wanted their coming home story and what with the family issues going. They would have copped a pasting. Weak yes. did they have any choice, probably not

Tbh im more referring to Pick 2 for Weller. Even Daddy thought that was pathetic.

this-has-been-the-worst-trade-deal-in-th

The Ablett one is understandable when the humanitarian side of it is looked at.

2 minutes ago, Nate said:

we (Carlton) are gonna be fucked without Gibbs next season, guaranteed wooden spoon.

Hope all this short-term pain pays off in a few years.

My boys at NM should give you a good run for your money tbh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hellenic Hero said:

TTIM: Jake Stringer

Is Crozier any good? Can't remember watching him play tbh

He’s ok, good in the air and does the odd good thing. Will play 200+ games and be a good club servant, but won’t be a star. Pick 30 or so would be reasonable for him so I think you slightly won the deal. Think there may have been favours returned for Hamling. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1