Melbourne Football

2017 AFL Season

Hellenic Hero

11 hours ago, Jovan said:

Fucking Collingwood is a rabble.

Sometimes AFL Clubs (ESP the big Victorian Ones) can look so primitive and unprofessional when it comes to coaching appointments...

Collingwood lost Grand Final after Grand Final in the 60's, 70's and 80's largely with former Collingwood Greats as Coaches until eventually they hired Leigh Matthews (Only after bringing back Bob Rose for a second time) and eventually Matthews won them a flag. 

And then what do they do... they sacked him for the Captain of that side in Tony Shaw who had no coaching experience and subsequently was a massive failure. At this point it appeared they had learnt from their mistake and they boldly pinched a experienced Mick Malthouse from West Coast who had no former ties to Collingwood.

Malthouse then makes two Grand Finals with sides who were not brilliant but who played at their capacity in the 2000's and then rebuilds the list quickly for the time and wins the flag with a young side in 2010 and then loses the following Grand Final in 2011 to an ageing opponent. So what do they do?

They sacked the coach who the young playing group love and has proven himself capable of rebuilding a side, who has made two Grand Finals in years for... a former Collingwood Captain in Buckley. Stuff like this should not being happening in a Professional Sport in 2011.

The dumbest thing is that if you look at the best four Captains of the late 90's only Carey did not launch a successful coup at his old club to be coach... and the others in Voss, Hird and Buckley all have failed.

It should also be mentioned that the evidence of the benefits of a coach from outside of the club was already quite evident when Sheedy took Essendon from the league's biggest under-achievers for over a decade to a League Powerhouse. Geelong also went from a Country Club who only won  at home to a Grand Final side with the appointment of Malcolm Blight in his first Season.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, cadete said:

Sometimes AFL Clubs (ESP the big Victorian Ones) can look so primitive and unprofessional when it comes to coaching appointments...

Collingwood lost Grand Final after Grand Final in the 60's, 70's and 80's largely with former Collingwood Greats as Coaches until eventually they hired Leigh Matthews (Only after bringing back Bob Rose for a second time) and eventually Matthews won them a flag. 

And then what do they do... they sacked him for the Captain of that side in Tony Shaw who had no coaching experience and subsequently was a massive failure. At this point it appeared they had learnt from their mistake and they boldly pinched a experienced Mick Malthouse from West Coast who had no former ties to Collingwood.

Malthouse then makes two Grand Finals with sides who were not brilliant but who played at their capacity in the 2000's and then rebuilds the list quickly for the time and wins the flag with a young side in 2010 and then loses the following Grand Final in 2011 to an ageing opponent. So what do they do?

They sacked the coach who the young playing group love and has proven himself capable of rebuilding a side, who has made two Grand Finals in years for... a former Collingwood Captain in Buckley. Stuff like this should not being happening in a Professional Sport in 2011.

The dumbest thing is that if you look at the best four Captains of the late 90's only Carey did not launch a successful coup at his old club to be coach... and the others in Voss, Hird and Buckley all have failed.

It should also be mentioned that the evidence of the benefits of a coach from outside of the club was already quite evident when Sheedy took Essendon from the league's biggest under-achievers for over a decade to a League Powerhouse. Geelong also went from a Country Club who only won  at home to a Grand Final side with the appointment of Malcolm Blight in his first Season.

Totally agree top post.

Whats the most infuriating thing that has also developed in the last decade is the frequency of coaches being sacked.

Most times when a coach is sacked in recent years has very little to do with his actual performance more so the public reaction. 

There have been heaps of cases when the coach should be sacked but the boards/presidents are not confident enough to pull the trigger for the fear of the fallout in public.

Imagine if this happened in the Serie A. Buckley would have been sacked in October 2011.

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

pretty keen for sydney to rape the drug cheats
hoping for richmond to win so geelong go out in straights again

bye week is a fucking stupid idea

It be a very Geelong thing to finish second and go out in straight sets... but its still better than not playing finals again and re-signing Bucks. :tooth:

Both "Bye Week" and a "Final Eight" both make a mockery of the Home and Away Season.

They should go back to the Final Five which still had three weeks of Finals prior to the GF but gave the Minor Premiers a week off and only 1st, 2nd and 3rd a second chance.

1 hour ago, Embee said:

I have no love for Geelong, but I hope they spank the fuck out of Richmond, after all the fucking 'Tigger Train' shit, imagine them going out in straight sets and then having Dusty leave to North during the off-season. 

Seriously prior to the game at KP - I listened to thirty minutes of a Pre-Game on the Radio where literally the only thing mentioned about Geelong was that the game was almost as important for us because we might drop out of the eight.

However, it was so much more important for Richmond because they could have a 95,000 Home Final... seriously the AFL Media with its obsession with Cinderella Stories just makes coverage of the game look bloody amateur.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cadete said:

It be a very Geelong thing to finish second and go out in straight sets... but its still better than not playing finals again and re-signing Bucks. :tooth:

Both "Bye Week" and a "Final Eight" both make a mockery of the Home and Away Season.

They should go back to the Final Five which still had three weeks of Finals prior to the GF but gave the Minor Premiers a week off and only 1st, 2nd and 3rd a second chance.

they didn't resign Buckley did they?

Edit: fuck me they did :droy:

Edited by Dylan

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

If she doesn't get a go in the AFL, for a back-up job, I heard the US military are very welcoming of trans people

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2017 at 10:40 PM, Thrillhouse said:

umpires pets out in straights :D
danger played a ripper in his 200th 

LOL @ your constant Straight Sets crap -  Your entire club is a joke stuck in 1995.

Your President with his favorite Ex-Captain knifed the Premiership Coach who was the biggest factor from bringing your club back from its lowest point... This being co-incidentally when another Ex-Captain knifed his Premiership Coach.

You gave a Four Year - $2 Million Contract to a bloke from Freo who literally looks like the last time he was in any AFL side's Best 22 was actually in 1995 and even then only for a shitty Gerard Nesham recruited Fremantle Side playing in front of 12,000 fans on Sunday at Subi.

Edited by cadete

Also the dumbest thing about Collingwood re-hiring Bucks is that nobody is even any good at the moment, look at where last year's Premiers are or even look at the honorific kicking in a Qualifying Final was on Friday night. Port Melbourne kicked far better against the AFL packed Bulldogs side on the Sunday.

There is no Good Geelong or Great Hawthorn side floating around, FFS the WCE and Freo sides that played the Hawks in their Grand Finals are much better than these supposed top sides in last couple of years. 

Yet Bucks still cant make the eight - And some how Geelong will still manage to lose in straights sets once again despite playing finals every season bar one in the last ten years.

Edited by cadete

Just now, Embee said:

Thanks for fucking nothing Geelong, probably going to have to see Richmond in a Grand Final now. I think I might deactivate all my social media platforms for the next 25 years.

I'm not having a go at you mate, but what's the difference between the celebration when my boys won the flag last year, and Richmond making a big run in the finals celebration wise? Last year people were seemingly happy to see Dogs fans celebrate and lap up the flag, why don't people want Richmond fans to do the same? Genuinely curious.

Just now, Hellenic Hero said:

I'm not having a go at you mate, but what's the difference between the celebration when my boys won the flag last year, and Richmond making a big run in the finals celebration wise? Last year people were seemingly happy to see Dogs fans celebrate and lap up the flag, why don't people want Richmond fans to do the same? Genuinely curious.

Because Richmond supporters are easily the biggest pack of ferals in the comp. They have a ridiculous number of band-wagoners who pipe up every time they win more than 2 in a row but go back to ignoring the sport altogether or abusing their team and coach the rest of the time.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, cadete said:

LOL @ your constant Straight Sets crap -  Your entire club is a joke stuck in 1995.

Your President with his favorite Ex-Captain knifed the Premiership Coach who was the biggest factor from bringing your club back from its lowest point... This being co-incidentally when another Ex-Captain knifed his Premiership Coach.

You gave a Four Year - $2 Million Contract to a bloke from Freo who literally looks like the last time he was in any AFL side's Best 22 was actually in 1995 and even then only for a shitty Gerard Nesham recruited Fremantle Side playing in front of 12,000 fans on Sunday at Subi.

i know we're shit and not going anywhere anytime soon, i just love how the addy is extremely thin after a loss

1 hour ago, Thrillhouse said:

i know we're shit and not going anywhere anytime soon, i just love how the addy is extremely thin after a loss

I would not know as I have never read that thing or lived in Geelong, and I dont want to go to Geelong for anything but an AFL match. The only other time I ever went there regularly was when I had to play Soccer there twice a year at school. 

Regardless  PPL constantly want to remind me at most AFL games that "At least they dont live in a hole like Geelong" even though 99% (TBH so far results stand at 100%) of these PPL always live much further way from the CBD than I do despite wherever I have been living at the time.

Like how when I was literally taking the fastest way home by walking from the MCG back to mine I was told by a Richmond Fan: "To Go Back To The Sticks" on Friday night. This being from a guy who when I asked him where he was from told me he was from the Outer East.

(So his fucken car was bloody parked further away from the ground than my house).

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Seriously,

Imagine if the List Managers at Footscray conceded that the AFL is in a Hewitt Era and that last season's flag was nowhere near as hard to win as those over the past decade and used the hype of the media to play some serious money-ball.

Contracted players can be traded and they could have gotten have made some serious advances by trading Johannisen, Stringer, Libba. Instead they will get half of what could have gotten now. The money that they talked about Johannisen being worth prior to this season was a complete joke for Running Half Back.

Edited by cadete

8 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Can Adelaide be beaten? 

They were awesome tonight 

Yes. North beat them by 10goals remember.

Will they be beaten? Geez it looks a big ask for either of the Tigers or Giants. I don't recall a side being so even across the field as Adelaide are this year. Won't begrudge them the flag at all, best side all year, even if i think GWS' best is better.

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

Yes. North beat them by 10goals remember.

Will they be beaten? Geez it looks a big ask for either of the Tigers or Giants. I don't recall a side being so even across the field as Adelaide are this year. Won't begrudge them the flag at all, best side all year, even if i think GWS' best is better.

They are very good at providing targets for which other and then hitting those targets as they move forward.

Even when the go short in the center or at HF they always eventually seem to end the play in a good Fowards entry. I don't watch too much AFL of other teams but their strongest suit appears to be their coaching.

It's by far the years most successful system at any club however Grand Finals make things a lot more hurried... In saying that I expect them to win.

Edited by cadete

56 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Not relevant. Just my personal opinion.

Well if maybe you should do some research into who a lot of are those Masked Antifa People who you see on TV attempting to fight Fascists at Counter Rallies actually are...

Edited by cadete

3 hours ago, cadete said:

What a win by the Borough Boys yesterday... the best GF I have been to and to be a part of something like that were there were only two/three bays us Port fans against the Tiger Hordes was brilliant!

Was a cracker game,  borough boys got a lot of ticker.  They looked completely gone when they were down by 13 with what 4 minutes to go,  to fight back the way they did,  what a win.