Melbourne Football

2017 AFL Season

Hellenic Hero

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, cadete said:

Can someone on here explain why the fuck what Nick Dal Santo says about footy is worth listening too?

Talk about a bloke trying to hard to be pundit immediately after retirement.

Pretty much goes for anyone in the media doesnt it? At the end of the day we make our own mind up on whether commentators/pundits are any good based on our own opinion anyway. 

35 minutes ago, cadete said:

Can someone on here explain why the fuck what Nick Dal Santo says about footy is worth listening too?

Talk about a bloke trying to hard to be pundit immediately after retirement.

What do you think of Ling? He's the one I can't stand the most. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Pretty much goes for anyone in the media doesnt it? At the end of the day we make our own mind up on whether commentators/pundits are any good based on our own opinion anyway. 

The difference is that Dal Santo is so obvious in his attempts to make comments that will end up as Clickbait to secure another Media Contract, and a lot the judgements he makes just sound stupid from a guy that was only a good footballer who had some pretty obvious flaws to his game.

9 minutes ago, hedaik said:

What do you think of Ling? He's the one I can't stand the most. 

Shithouse... typical of the "Good Bloke" commentators that Channel Seven hire that bore me to depth with their combination of shitty jokes and bland obvious comments that lead me to limit my contact with Channel Seven to Gameplay Commentary only when its the only option.

The best Ex Player for special commentary in my book is Dermie (And I say this knowing he hates Geelong) as his the only Champion Footballer who can combine a good knowledge of modern day football strategy alongside still relevant insights from when he played the game.

Edited by cadete

18 minutes ago, cadete said:

The difference is that Dal Santo is so obvious in his attempts to make comments that will end up as Clickbait to secure another Media Contract, and a lot the judgements he makes just sound stupid from a guy that was only a good footballer who had some pretty obvious flaws to his game.

Shithouse... typical of the "Good Bloke" commentators that Channel Seven hire that bore me to depth with their combination of shitty jokes and bland obvious comments that lead me to limit my contact with Channel Seven to Gameplay Commentary only when its the only option.

The best Ex Player for special commentary in my book is Dermie (And I say this knowing he hates Geelong) as his the only Champion Footballer who can combine a good knowledge of modern day football strategy alongside still relevant insights from when he played the game.

Meh I guess i dont tune in to most of the media boffins anyway. Its an opinions game and most of them just say stuff to remain relevant, Robbo and Jon Ralph are particularly bad for it.

IMO Carey is as good as anyone as far as insight to the game and how its played, but I know plenty of others that disagree completely (tbh usually the people that havent played the game, or been involved with coaching the game, in the last 10 years.)

Doesnt really matter at the end of the day, everyone sees the game differently. 

• Like 1

I like BT, just not so much when hes commentating for Ch7 on a Friday night where the directive seems to be act annoyingly over the top. Hes a lot better on Triple M and when he used to be on Fox Sports. 

Edited by hedaik

IMO the old Broadcasters were the best Play By Play Commentators... Dennis, Sandy Roberts, Drew Morphett even Bruce who were professionals at the craft shit over most of these Ex-Players we have today.

I am still bloody annoyed Channel Seven took over the VFL - Instead of having Donegan (Another Great Old Time Broadcaster) and Clearly who spent their attention equally between Real Clubs and Bullshit Reserve Teams...

We now you have a few bottom feeders including some Bogan Bitch focus solely on some Crap Carlton List Fillers as Port Players are putting them to the sword. (Not to mention in the only game played at Preston all year - Port being the side wearing fucken Red).

Also TTIM: The League is rigged against us come final times but suck shit AFL that Port is above your beloved Soulless Takeover Sides in the only part of the Season where its a level playing field.

Edited by cadete

46 minutes ago, Inferno said:

TTIM AFL: Richmond. Their so call tough style and fans. The only team that can lead by multiple goals in the last quarts or even last 10 mins and lose the game. As it's said in the song,'like the the tiger of old' 

As an Essendon fan I find this highly offensive.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Inferno said:

How many premierships have the Bombers won compared to the tigers?

It really is kind of irrelevant... not even the oldest player in the current AFL was listed when either side won their last Flag so its been a long time for both sides in the context of the average age of posters on this forum.

So, this is the headline:

"Two senior AFL executives, Simon Lethlean and Richard Simkiss, resign from their positions for "inappropriate relationships with two younger women who work in the AFL industry".

So, what would an "appropriate relationship" be? And would it have been OK if the women were older?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

"Two senior AFL executives, Simon Lethlean and Richard Simkiss, resign from their positions for "inappropriate relationships with two younger women who work in the AFL industry".

So, what would an "appropriate relationship" be? And would it have been OK if the women were older?

This story is a fucking farce. Shouldn't even be news tbh.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Obviously as they haven't released the details of the women, it is impossible to say whether this has something to do with their age. I would imagine though that it has something to do with:

a - A person in a senior position sleeping with somebody who works for them.

b - The two blokes are apparently married.

If it is "b" then at another organisation it probably wouldn't matter, but as the AFL is an organisation so firmly in the public eye it is not a good pr look if this came out in a way that wasn't their resignations.

18 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Obviously as they haven't released the details of the women, it is impossible to say whether this has something to do with their age. I would imagine though that it has something to do with:

If it is "b" then at another organisation it probably wouldn't matter, but as the AFL is an organisation so firmly in the public eye it is not a good pr look if this came out in a way that wasn't their resignations.

I guess we could go on about journos and their ethics forever, its a slippery slope but imo this sort of shit should never be published.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I guess we could go on about journos and their ethics forever, its a slippery slope but imo this sort of shit should never be published.

Journalists set up camp outside of James Hird's house the day after it came out that he had apparently attempted suicide. AFL journos have no ethics.

29 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Journalists set up camp outside of James Hird's house the day after it came out that he had apparently attempted suicide. AFL journos have no ethics.

Most journo's have no ethics, yet they like to tell us what shit humans we are pretty much every day.

Case in point : Robbo. One of the AFL's leading knee jerk reactionists, more than happy to slam blokes and shout 'punish them!'. Yet the minute he fucks up its all "Aw im sorry, didnt mean it, people are going too far with it" etc. Have a fucking hard look at yourself cunts.
He didnt need to be lynched at all, but given he leads the way with this fucked up outrage culture we have these days, I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.  

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Just finished reading on this - it looks like it is b with neither of the "younger" women lodging a complaint. I placed the quotation mark on "younger" because one of them is a qualified lawyer hence she would already be in her mid-twenties, that is, an adult. 

What the real story is:

1. we are becoming puritanical. Someone passed judgement on their affairs and decided that they needed to be stoned - well sacked. 

2. Women need protecting, even if they are lawyers and adults.Because their weak moral compass leads them astray. 

So how are these modern day puritanicals different from the Saudis?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Just finished reading on this - it looks like it is b with neither of the "younger" women lodging a complaint. I placed the quotation mark on "younger" because one of them is a qualified lawyer hence she would already be in her mid-twenties, that is, an adult. 

What the real story is:

1. we are becoming puritanical. Someone passed judgement on their affairs and decided that they needed to be stoned - well sacked. 

2. Women need protecting, even if they are lawyers and adults.Because their weak moral compass leads them astray. 

This story is so bizarre. 

Im not for a moment suggesting these guys did the right thing, but isn't it between them and their respective wives? There had been no allegation of any improper contracts or the like.

If the AFL is going to be our society's morale police, they are going to be very busy and won't have much time to run the game. 

Fair dinkum some days I think I've fallen down a rabbit hole.

52 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

If the AFL is going to be our society's morale police, they are going to be very busy and won't have much time to run the game. 

Fair dinkum some days I think I've fallen down a rabbit hole.

I think its bizarre that its gone public, but if this type of thing was going on in a private company I would guess people would still be forced to resign. 

And how out of touch with reality is Bruce last night claiming that Essendon will become everybodys second favourite team? Half the football world wants them deregistered!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NewConvert said:

What the real story is:

Absolutely agree, although tbf i think drawing comparisons with the Saudi's is prob a bit far as far as extremes go.

Sacked and being protected doesnt quite ring as harshly as stoning and being banished to your house for most of your life.

6 hours ago, bt50 said:

Absolutely agree, although tbf i think drawing comparisons with the Saudi's is prob a bit far as far as extremes go.

Sacked and being protected doesnt quite ring as harshly as stoning and being banished to your house for most of your life.

True. However my point that it is the same principle that the Taliban, Saudis, et al, apply just that the consequences are not as severe. Having had a look at the Adelaide advertiser an hour ago, having the photographs of the people involved on the front page and then on the inside does not do them or the relevant people any good. Just more public shaming so that we all now know what adulterers look like.

When I last checked, sexual relations between consenting adults (18 years of age or older) are not illegal in Australia. Maybe it offends some people on moral grounds, but TBH, provided you're not "doing it" whilst at work or on your work premises after hours I don't see that it is the business of your employer. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...