Melbourne Football

2017 AFL Season

Hellenic Hero

Friend of mine closely linked to an AFL club does not put much into pre-season games - or as Judd put it, during pre-season we are all premiers.

For me, as a bombers fan, I would love the game to develop another notch and Beveridge deserves full credit for changing the game even if the doggies don't win another premiership.

On 07/03/2017 at 7:40 PM, Hellenic Hero said:

Just thought I'd get it started early: am a huge Dogs fan so still recovering from the win celebrations. 

Thoughts on the season ahead?

@Hellenic Hero All your shitty threads star with 'Your thoughts on this' if you have nothing to do just shut up. Who gives about the 2017 AFL premiership. 

• 2 weeks later...

I hate Essendon even more than I once did, and the thing that pissed me off the most was how the media attention was taken off a truly brave person in Roughy and thanks to the media wankfest, the "brave" tag was put on the ******* druggies. I hope they don't win another game.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

I hate Essendon even more than I once did, and the thing that pissed me off the most was how the media attention was taken off a truly brave person in Roughy and thanks to the media wankfest, the "brave" tag was put on the ******* druggies. I hope they don't win another game.

Who gives a fuck about Media Attention in AFL?

Classic Example: In 2011 Geelong defeated Collingwood by three points in Round 8, and then in the Last Round (Round 24) we pumped them by 96 points... yet still the entire year until the last couple of days before the Grand Final the media would only talk about how Collingwood were deservant favourites for The Flag.

Also the AFL media loves nothing more than to build up teams on the rise and not talk about teams who are already good... because it makes for boring conversation. A few years back it was North, then it became the Dogs (who did live up to the hype) and now its Melbourne.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hellenic Hero said:

BANNED FOR LIFE

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

BANNED FOR LIFE

Don't you mean: "SUCH IS LIFE"?

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/ben-cousins-sentenced-to-one-year-in-jail-over-stalking-drug-possession-20170328-gv84sb.html

Seriously anyone who defends the WCE Hierarchy circa 2006 can go and get fucked... its a joke what these guys let happen to their players and even their past players at the time. (It also took so fucken long before they decided to intervene as well.)

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, cadete said:

Don't you mean: "SUCH IS LIFE"?

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/ben-cousins-sentenced-to-one-year-in-jail-over-stalking-drug-possession-20170328-gv84sb.html

Seriously anyone who defends the WCE Hierarchy circa 2006 can go and get fucked... its a joke what these guys let happen to their players and even their past players at the time. (It also took so fucken long before they decided to intervene as well.)

I can't see how this is WCE fault. Players are adults and make their own decisions, if the AFL/ASADA isn't testing or providing adequate punishment then its on them not the club.

1 minute ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I can't see how this is WCE fault. Players are adults and make their own decisions, if the AFL/ASADA isn't testing or providing adequate punishment then its on them not the club.

Believe me the duty of care the club showed was ridiculous... remember I was the same age as a lot of the players, knew a couple well from school (And Cousins sister FWIW) and went out to the same places in Perth at the time.

Ask me to tell you what I know in RL because as I am not going to post PPL's names and the things they did over ten years ago on a Public Forum.

3 minutes ago, cadete said:

Believe me the duty of care the club showed was ridiculous... remember I was the same age as a lot of the players, knew a couple well from school (And Cousins sister FWIW) and went out to the same places in Perth at the time.

Ask me to tell you what I know in RL because as I am not going to post PPL's names and the things they did over ten years ago on a Public Forum.

This isn't just a WCE problem though, the stories I can tell about some of the Melbourne based players I've witnessed first hand are nothing unheard of. The players just need to take some responsibility for their actions too is what I am getting at.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Club knew about the problems and did nothing to stop it, they are just as responsible for allowing the culture to fester. 

Just now, hedaik said:

Club knew about the problems and did nothing to stop it, they are just as responsible for allowing the culture to fester. 

But if the players are delivering in their performances (they won the flag FFS) why should their personal lives be anyone's problem? The club should only intervene when it impacts on the performance of the team, which it clearly didn't.

22 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

But if the players are delivering in their performances (they won the flag FFS) why should their personal lives be anyone's problem? The club should only intervene when it impacts on the performance of the team, which it clearly didn't.

Because in todays society nobody can be held accountable for their own actions. Its always someone else's fault.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

It impacts the perception of the club (and sport)  and the ability to attract sponsors which is the only thing that keeps clubs going. 

There are plenty of bush leagues available to play in if players don't want to act as role models or uphold standards. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

It did it just took a while...

Cousins smacking Kerr down club Bay View Steps.

Chad Fletcher almost dying as a player at Vegas.

Daniel Chick and Andrew Embley punching on.

The above alongside Judd is the sole reason the Eagles won the Flag. They were a fast side who caused Clearances so that could spring and gut run to kick a goal or the run or serve up perfect sevice to not perfect towards.

Also I only stuck to Items that are already known there, that's just the surface.

14 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I would change that to:

It isn't JUST the Weagles fault.

The AFL's disinterest in a decent drug testing or deterrent policy certainly helped.

Ultimately though you are right, it's down to the individuals, who are now all living with the consequences of their actions.