Melbourne Football

Rd 23 City vs Jets 7:50pm Sat 18th March Aami Park

haz

I missed the first 25 minutes so can't say how we played up to that point. However, in hte last 10 minutes of the first half and until Fitzy came on we were very slow with the ball and not well balanced.

I am struggling to know why Valkanis doesn't start with Fitzy and Kamau. What defenders hate most of all is guys with pace running at you. Playing Caceres wide has shown not to work and even though he has good skills, he hasn't the pace to make the fullback uncomfortable. The same with Colazo on the other side. He is a neat and tidy player, but doesn't give the fullback a testing time. I would rather Caceres and Colazo played centrally with Kilkenny. It is no coincedence we scored 3 goals after the wide men came on and Caceres moved to midfield.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, silva10 said:

I missed the first 25 minutes so can't say how we played up to that point. However, in hte last 10 minutes of the first half and until Fitzy came on we were very slow with the ball and not well balanced.

I am struggling to know why Valkanis doesn't start with Fitzy and Kamau. What defenders hate most of all is guys with pace running at you. Playing Caceres wide has shown not to work and even though he has good skills, he hasn't the pace to make the fullback uncomfortable. The same with Colazo on the other side. He is a neat and tidy player, but doesn't give the fullback a testing time. I would rather Caceres and Colazo played centrally with Kilkenny. It is no coincedence we scored 3 goals after the wide men came on and Caceres moved to midfield.

Well I would disagree and say that it was part of the plan to bring both Fitzy and Kamau on later after we tried Newcastle and it worked a treat. First 25 it was like 83-18 possession we were all over them and probably set up the second half because of it

• Like 2

Yes, we had a win and it was a decent score but we STILL played a lot of really boring football. We haven’t managed to stop playing the slow, play it around the back line possession football yet. Every time they do it I watch the opposition slowly pressuring them into the inevitable turn over. Tongyik, for example, got caught out several times.

The best period was when Fitzy and then Kamau came on. Was it good coaching to have them as impact subs or should they have been on earlier?

For me it again wasn't a hugely entertaining night.

Thank goodness we only have one more home game so I can dream of what could have been and what might happen next year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tony999 said:

8.5k. That's appalling!

No it's not. I also cannot get friends to attend and have even lost a few to that other mob. We need to provide sexy, exciting entertainment on the pitch and/or sexy, exciting entertainment before the game and at half time. Thank God for active otherwise there would be no buzz around the stadium.

Whoever is responsible at MCFC needs to go back to school.

Edited by mjake1234
Add
  • Like 1

Really good win over one of the weaker sides in the league. Valkanis would be a happy man this morning, it would seem the game unfolded pretty much "to plan".

Cahill started and scored with a trademark header. Newcastle ran there backsides off without the ball, pressing. When they started to get into the game we brought on Fitzy who exploited the space their tiring defenders were giving up and Kamau's entrance was a coup de grace.  

There was a lot of comical defending though but we were let off the hook by either good goal keeping or (mostly) poor forward play.

Now the formation, I never quite figured it out, but Caceres wasn't on the wing, looked to be in midfield withCahill further ahead.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Really good win over one of the weaker sides in the league. Valkanis would be a happy man this morning, it would seem the game unfolded pretty much "to plan".

Cahill started and scored with a trademark header. Newcastle ran there backsides off without the ball, pressing. When they started to get into the game we brought on Fitzy who exploited the space their tiring defenders were giving up and Kamau's entrance was a coup de grace.  

There was a lot of comical defending though but we were let off the hook by either good goal keeping or (mostly) poor forward play.

Now the formation, I never quite figured it out, but Caceres wasn't on the wing, looked to be in midfield withCahill further ahead.

4-4-2 diamond from what I could tell. 

• Like 2

Before kick off, I thought that Cahill would come off at the 60 minute mark for Fitzy - as it unfolded it was at the 55 mnute mark, followed shortly after by Colazo being replaced by Kamau. I thought that this was going to happen because by that stage their defenders would be spent and the pace of Fitzy and Kamau would break them.

People are saying that Bruno could have scored more but I was behind the goals and their GK deserves some credit for stopping two great shots. Also Bruno's curling ball around the wall looked pretty good from the far side.

As for formation, I worked out NJs, I worked out the seagulls formation but I could not work out City's. At times it appeared slightly shambolic.

Overall pretty happy with the results but I couldn't understand why Franjic was caught in the wrong place so many times meaning that Malik had to track back pretty quickly to cover - alternatively if Franjic was so far up the field why wasn't Malik in a better position.

• Like 1

Pretty standard win against a pedestrian side, but nevertheless IMO we saw some good performances from various players. Lots of good comments above but I'm out of likes. Most of the players have already received their honourable mentions. It's ironic that when we take off the League's star recruit and bring on Fitzy, thought of at the start of the season as a squaddie, our attack goes from lacklustre to lethal. We looked good from then on. It was either shrewd coaching by Valkanis or a gamble that paid off. Have to say that the first half we were very lethargic, but we don't often score four so to hell with any complaints.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

So, my thoughts:

Good game. The Jets game is based off high intensity play and they seemed a bit lethargic, so that's why we spanked them.

Bruno, Caceras and Fitzy were all great. Brattan and Malik were the only two poor performers. 

Finally, cheers to the Melburnians for trying hard to create some atmosphere when the rest of the crowd was unusually flat: also, cheers to the bloke in the Liverpool shorts and a Melburnians shirt (@elieanid?) who let my 7yr old cousin and I in during the second half, we started playing a lot better at that point so it was quite enjoyable in there.

Finally, my thoughts from the signing session:

Bruno, Fitzy and Retre acted if there was no where else they would rather be. Bruno made my cousin's day by saying he remembered him from the last signing session, and then preceded to describe what my cousin was wearing that day (accurately), so cheers Bruno.

The others were all ok, but the only one I was disappointed with was Brattan: he acted like he didn't want to be there at all. 

But overall, a good night at the football.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

So, my thoughts:

Good game. The Jets game is based off high intensity play and they seemed a bit lethargic, so that's why we spanked them.

Bruno, Caceras and Fitzy were all great. Brattan and Malik were the only two poor performers. 

Finally, cheers to the Melburnians for trying hard to create some atmosphere when the rest of the crowd was unusually flat: also, cheers to the bloke in the Liverpool shorts and a Melburnians shirt (@elieanid?) who let my 7yr old cousin and I in during the second half, we started playing a lot better at that point so it was quite enjoyable in there.

Finally, my thoughts from the signing session:

Bruno, Fitzy and Retre acted if there was no where else they would rather be. Bruno made my cousin's day by saying he remembered him from the last signing session, and then preceded to describe what my cousin was wearing that day (accurately), so cheers Bruno.

The others were all ok, but the only one I was disappointed with was Brattan: he acted like he didn't want to be there at all. 

But overall, a good night at the football.

That a suprise? He acts like that when he's on the pitch.

Next

• Like 4