Melbourne Football

Rd 23 City vs Jets 7:50pm Sat 18th March Aami Park

haz

42 minutes ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

Muscat, Arzani and Genreu added to the team. No Jakobsen. Chris Beath referee.

3-2 City. 

2 Reds (one to each team, but only one correct)

2 Penalties (both incorrect calls).

PS the whole Jakobsen situation has gone past the point where I thought he was a good Visa signing. He is now on "Duff" level. *Yes yes I know Duff's injury was inflicted on him and yes yes I know he stayed back to help mentor the players*

Not very clear what the precise situation is with either Brandan or Jakobsen.

"The Argentinian winger will miss out on the rest of the season with an ACL injury picked up innocuously on the training track and the fan favourite will look to begin his road to recovery this week. The curious case of Michael Jakobsen also continues with the former Danish international given another week to rest his troublesome calf, working hard off the field to prevent any further issues heading into an important run home with the Club. Valkanis has stressed the importance of Jakobsen to his side heading towards the Finals Series and is taking no risks with the central defender who has been one of his side’s best this season." 

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Not very clear what the precise situation is with either Brandan or Jakobsen.

"The Argentinian winger will miss out on the rest of the season with an ACL injury picked up innocuously on the training track and the fan favourite will look to begin his road to recovery this week. The curious case of Michael Jakobsen also continues with the former Danish international given another week to rest his troublesome calf, working hard off the field to prevent any further issues heading into an important run home with the Club. Valkanis has stressed the importance of Jakobsen to his side heading towards the Finals Series and is taking no risks with the central defender who has been one of his side’s best this season." 

Aaron Hughes anyone.

• Like 1

Jakobsen's last match was on 4th February, when he lasted 45 minutes. As for Valkanis saving him for the finals, with five matches to go including visits to Western Sydney, Sydney and Perth, I can't see us guaranteed of a finals place at all.  Likely yes, but cerainly not guaranteed.

On Brandan, I asked the question last night in Live Chat whether his injury was actually a torn ACL and whether he needed surgery, but there was no answer. On injuries in general it was said that at the start of the season is was intended to give us regular up-dates by video on the web-site (I recall at least one) but for "technical reasons" (or similar words) the club wasn't able to continue with that.

• Like 1

Jacobsen rested for another week, "we need him for finals ha ha thats if we make the finals. If he is ready NOW then play him, he has not played for 4 weeks so how is he going to be right for the finals, the rust would be set in now and it will be two or three games to get back to match fitness so by then we will be out of the finals so why save him?

This club amazes me with the bullshit that is put out, the same applies for Brandan, has he torn the acl or just strained it for goodness sake just be honest with the fans not all this crap that is put out. Finals, forget it .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Jakobsen's last match was on 4th February, when he lasted 45 minutes. As for Valkanis saving him for the finals, with five matches to go including visits to Western Sydney, Sydney and Perth, I can't see us guaranteed of a finals place at all.  Likely yes, but cerainly not guaranteed.

On Brandan, I asked the question last night in Live Chat whether his injury was actually a torn ACL and whether he needed surgery, but there was no answer. On injuries in general it was said that at the start of the season is was intended to give us regular up-dates by video on the web-site (I recall at least one) but for "technical reasons" (or similar words) the club wasn't able to continue with that.

3 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

Jacobsen rested for another week, "we need him for finals ha ha thats if we make the finals. If he is ready NOW then play him, he has not played for 4 weeks so how is he going to be right for the finals, the rust would be set in now and it will be two or three games to get back to match fitness so by then we will be out of the finals so why save him?

This club amazes me with the bullshit that is put out, the same applies for Brandan, has he torn the acl or just strained it for goodness sake just be honest with the fans not all this crap that is put out. Finals, forget it .

With a 30+ year old player a calf was always going to be 5+ weeks, but the club's bullshit about it is just not acceptable, as is the Brandan secrecy. I just don't get it.

6 minutes ago, cityfan101 said:

The AAMI park pitch will be in great condition for this one....Storm played there last night, Rebels play there tonight then our game Saturday. 

I'm sure it was this time last year the turf was in terrible shape after so much use. 

With the talk around the Australian Super Rugby clubs, that may not be an issue next year.

Edited by Blackout
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

It's still not clear with Brandan. Still no mention of surgery.

"One man who won’t be a part of Saturday’s contest will be livewire Fernando Brandan. The Argentinian suffered an ACL injuring on the track last week, ruling him out for the rest of the season. Despite stressing his loss, Valkanis expressed the value of his side’s squad depth coming into this stage of the season, saying he has several candidates ready to compete for the winger’s spot. “Fernando Brandan will be a big loss for us. Not only is he a crowd favourite but he’s a favourite here amongst the boys,” he said. “He’s got a never-say-die attitude and he’ll never stop working and that’s whether it’s on the ball or off the ball, he gives everything to this team and we’re going to miss him dearly. “Now it’s about him working to get back and I know it’s a long process but it’s a sort of injury that you need time and patience but he’s at a good club where he’ll get looked after and do his rehab and be back bigger and stronger next season"

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's still not clear with Brandan. Still no mention of surgery.

"One man who won’t be a part of Saturday’s contest will be livewire Fernando Brandan. The Argentinian suffered an ACL injuring on the track last week, ruling him out for the rest of the season. Despite stressing his loss, Valkanis expressed the value of his side’s squad depth coming into this stage of the season, saying he has several candidates ready to compete for the winger’s spot. “Fernando Brandan will be a big loss for us. Not only is he a crowd favourite but he’s a favourite here amongst the boys,” he said. “He’s got a never-say-die attitude and he’ll never stop working and that’s whether it’s on the ball or off the ball, he gives everything to this team and we’re going to miss him dearly. “Now it’s about him working to get back and I know it’s a long process but it’s a sort of injury that you need time and patience but he’s at a good club where he’ll get looked after and do his rehab and be back bigger and stronger next season"

I've had many knee injuries in my short life. I believe he probably has only got a slight tear, the type of ACL injury where a player doesn't require an operation and rest is the best rehab. The same type of injury happened to myself (stepped in a sprinkler hole) during training, I was able to run-it-off although in pain and it wasn't until it swelled up that I went to get scans and it was only a slight tear. It kept me out of sport for about 6 months, I was in a brace for about 3-weeks but once it was off I could still run, but it's not worth the high risk of returning back so soon which is understandable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cityfan101 said:

The AAMI park pitch will be in great condition for this one....Storm played there last night, Rebels play there tonight then our game Saturday. 

I'm sure it was this time last year the turf was in terrible shape after so much use. 

Why not just get in the Army and have them get a tank to do donuts on the pitch?

• Like 1

City Kids Set to Get Chance Against Jets

David Davutovic, Herald Sun

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/aleague-melbourne-city-set-to-give-chance-to-daniel-arzani-and-denis-genreau-against-newcastle/news-story/8cf2b621e0513576c0fb95f80d694679

(There's an article link at the top of the Web page covering the Kewell interest)

IN a week where the spotlight has been shone on youth, Melbourne City looks set to unleash youth duo Daniel Arzani and Denis Genreau.

While the talented teens will start on the bench, a player at the other end of the age spectrum Tim Cahill looks set to start in his final game before joining the Socceroos.

Gun Danish defender Michael Jakobsen (calf) will miss yet again, leaving young Ruon Tongyik to lead the defence on Saturday night when City hosts Newcastle Jets at AAMI Park.

Ange Postecoglou revealed that Tongyik, 20, would’ve got a Socceroos call up if not for red tape, and City coach Mike Valkanis said more kids will get a chance.

“We’ve got a few youngsters, no doubt we believe in them. That’s the future of the club and they’ll get their opportunities,’’ Valkanis said.

“From Genreau, to Arzani, these boys are more than capable of coming in and helping us and we’re looking forward to giving them more opportunities to play.
Melbourne City youngster Denis Genreau.

“It doesn’t matter what age a payer is, if he’s capable of playing he’ll play. Ruon is another that’s come in and made tremendous steps.

“Depending on how the game goes will depend how we use each of them.”

Valkanis was “quite confident” Jakobsen would be fit for next week, though it’s not the first time City have made such a claim since he limped off six weeks ago.

Nicolas Colazo is likely to fill the left wing role usually filled by Fernando Brandan, who tore his anterior cruciate ligament at training last week.

“It’s upsetting to lose a player like Brandan, for his character and not only his playing abilities,” Valkanis said.

“He’s an amazing boy, a crowd favourite and loved by all his teammates. He’s very passionate, works very hard."

On Jakobsen: “The split round helped us manage him exactly where we want him to be at, and come in and find match fitness for the final four games.”

Cahill, who has started just two games in the last two months, played the full 120 minutes of an 11 versus 11 training game last week.

Valkanis hinted that he would start before he gets off to Tehran for Socceroos duty, with Australia facing Iraq on Friday.

“Tim is in a good spot physically, especially last week with spike in load at training in preparation for finals. Tim’s ready to go,” he said.

10 hours ago, jeffplz said:

I heard Jakobsen's pretty much 99% fit but the decision was a strategic one.

That is, we're saving him for the finals before we're actually confirmed as being in the finals...

Very uneasy about this kind of strategy. He could easily hurt himself again in training next week.

18 minutes ago, LB said:

Lol I didn't hear that one.

TBH my source is generally 50/50 but he was pretty confident. He mentioned Caceres on right wing, Colazo left and Fitzgerald benched. Cahill AM. 

Fuck this club.  Let's start our best performing player (lately anyway)  on the bench

9 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Fuck this club.  Let's start our best performing player (lately anyway)  on the bench

If this is true, Valkanis is starting a pattern of starting a "live wire" player on the bench. I wonder if the same happened when he was head at Adelaide?

25 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

We're saving him for the finals.

We're saving everything for the finals.

If we don't win tonight we probably won't make the finals.

And that's final.

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And that's final.

But I'm not a rapper

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

And that's final.

Haha please. There's not a snowflakes hope in hell that Wellington, Newcastle or CCM are going to make up 10-13 points on us in 5 games.

• Like 2