Melbourne Football

Casual culture

MattN

Not sure where to post this but anyways...

At the game last night I definitely saw a lot more people wearing brands associated with English 'casuals' than usual. When I first arrived here from UK in 2012 I saw little to practically no-one wearing these brands. Last night on the terrace I was surprised at the amount of Stone Island, CP company, burberry, fred perry, classic adidas trainer etc etc that I saw. Not just by the supposed groups at the front but in all parts. Anyone else noticed this? 

47 minutes ago, MattN said:

At the game last night I definitely saw a lot more people wearing brands associated with English 'casuals' than usual. When I first arrived here from UK in 2012 I saw little to practically no-one wearing these brands. Last night on the terrace I was surprised at the amount of Stone Island, CP company, burberry, fred perry, classic adidas trainer etc etc that I saw. Not just by the supposed groups at the front but in all parts. Anyone else noticed this? 

Dressers were very common back when we were yarraside. Wasn't at the game last night but have been surprised how little clobber there is in our terrace any more since we became city.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2017 at 6:21 PM, MattN said:

Hey mate,

I have noticed that as well, but there is one key difference.

The casuals in the NT and the RBB seem to be the cause of the trouble they are known for, but our casuals are quite well behaved and contribute to the terrace displays that we have put on. 

2 hours ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Hey mate,

I have noticed that as well, but there is one key difference.

The casuals in the NT and the RBB seem to be the cause of the trouble they are known for, but our casuals are quite well behaved and contribute to the terrace displays that we have put on. 

Then there is the fact that MV dont dress Casual - They just wear Black or Navy Shirts with poor pictures of Trainers on them... which kind of defeats the point of dressing Casual when you dress like a Criminal. (It's the opposite of the response why PPL started dressing in the first place).

On 2/25/2017 at 7:13 PM, KSK_47 said:

Dressers were very common back when we were yarraside. Wasn't at the game last night but have been surprised how little clobber there is in our terrace any more since we became city.

It is not the same type of dressing as back then... more obvious stuff is worn by those who I see partake as they are mainly younger guys.

In saying that they are def better dressed than WSW, MV and Adel and most likely at least on par with SFC (Always YSIDE's biggest rival in dressing)... so they are doing alright in the Dressing Stakes ESP considering the Yarraside Colour seems to remain present in comparison to other sides.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, n i k o said:

Clearly they dont want to be taken seriously as casuals, if such a thing is even possible here in the Aleague. 

Why do you think semi-organised Football Violence is not possible in the A-League?

Because its the fucken reality.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, n i k o said:

Clearly they dont want to be taken seriously as casuals, if such a thing is even possible here in the Aleague. 

I think they are going more for ultras rather than casuals but as @cadete says if you are keen for scraps in parks with people wearing Burberry scarves before and after a-league games you definitely don't have put much effort in to find those willing

*Edit- I feel I should make it clear that I am in no way interested in football violence. I am just pointing out that although obviously nowhere near to the same extent as in other countries, there are people who are into that scene in Australia

Edited by KSK_47

On 2/25/2017 at 6:21 PM, MattN said:

the Cove and North Terrace are the role models of the modern day Australian casual culture...But it's not what you might think back in England. as Det points out, you don't need to make the effort to stand out as a sore thumb with european brand clothing. so you don't need to stress on choosing the perfect combination. You round up your mates and organise a play date with the other club as to who can throw the furthest construction object in a public area and you're pretty much set... before the coppers shut it down as shown here from today:

65280734a84e07355d98e241fcb0f9ac?width=650

This poor nutter didn't have his eyes at the back of his head...most likely going to get kicked from his clan.

a31476ce9488e35bb28791eee7c55276?width=650

That sums it up pretty much, hope this helps if you're interested. Unfortunately adidas, stone island, fila and the rest of the clothing lines don't sponsor these athletes in this underground sport so you will get next to nothing from this. Maybe a bit of news coverage to add to your cv if you take part in their annual carnival event at Lakeside

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Young Polak said:

the Cove and North Terrace are the role models of the modern day Australian casual culture...But it's not what you might think back in England. as Det points out, you don't need to make the effort to stand out as a sore thumb with european brand clothing. so you don't need to stress on choosing the perfect combination. You round up your mates and organise a play date with the other club as to who can throw the furthest construction object in a public area and you're pretty much set... before the coppers shut it down as shown here from today:

65280734a84e07355d98e241fcb0f9ac?width=650

This poor nutter didn't have his eyes at the back of his head...most likely going to get kicked from his clan.

a31476ce9488e35bb28791eee7c55276?width=650

That sums it up pretty much, hope this helps if you're interested. Unfortunately adidas, stone island, fila and the rest of the clothing lines don't sponsor these athletes in this underground sport so you will get next to nothing from this. Maybe a bit of news coverage to add to your cv if you take part in their annual carnival event at Lakeside

Yes I realise that a scrap with other fans doesn't require a jacket with a logo or any other attire to show you're "fair game". Also the 'culture' I was referring to doesn't neccessarily refer to a bunch of blokes (organised or not) having a brawl or similar behaviour. Although fundamentally, wearing specific branded clobber does portray to those knowledgable an imagine of hooliganism and thugishness but the culture isn't really like that. I see people at grounds in the UK dress their kids in these brands and the last thing they would want is any type of trouble happening, it's more a universal 'passionate football fan' label now. This is probably a shocking explanation but just trying to say it's not limited to people who want a brawl but shows off your passion for the game when you walk in the ground with your stone island jacket on.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MattN said:

but just trying to say it's not limited to people who want a brawl but shows off your passion for the game when you walk in the ground with your stone island jacket on.

Quite right. The dressing culture has evolved and most normal people can differentiate between those who like the fashion elements of trainers/goggle jackets and those who are keen to kick the shit out of a stranger in a park. "Most normal people" being the important words in that statement. Unfortunately in Australia we have a bit of an issue where wearing a stone island jacket or a Fred Perry polo to a football match is like wearing a shirt saying "please fight me" to certain  groups who support other clubs

• Like 6

5 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

Quite right. The dressing culture has evolved and most normal people can differentiate between those who like the fashion elements of trainers/goggle jackets and those who are keen to kick the shit out of a stranger in a park. "Most normal people" being the important words in that statement. Unfortunately in Australia we have a bit of an issue where wearing a stone island jacket or a Fred Perry polo to a football match is like wearing a shirt saying "please fight me" to certain  groups who support other 

Edited by Jovan