Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Sydney FC 7:50pm, Friday 24th February

kingofhearts

4 hours ago, dr lime said:

Valkanis lost us this one. Muscat = ridiculous. And even taking off Cahill at half time: if you are going to pinch a goal with 10 men, most likely to be from set pieces so why not leave him on for 15-20 minutes? And playing Bruno as number 10 was just change for change's sake When he and Cahill have worked well it is usually Cahill roaming around in midfield and arriving late in the box with Fornaroi up top.  Fucking Calamity Rose isn't up to it either although he at least avoided his usual calamity today, but gives us nothing. Just play a kid there. 

Only bright spot was seeing Sorensen back between the sticks, calmly stepping off his line grabbing high balls, reading the game well and being impeccably positioned. Although he must be the worst guesser at penalties ever. Have never even seen him get close to one. 

Mmmmmm I could only see Cahill running around clueless how to control a football and wondering how one touch football is played (less one moment where Bruno went for a curve) Let's face it fuckers we were all in a good mood the last weeks because he didn't start.

Saying Caceras was a let down tonight plus our coach.

6 hours ago, AttilaUGultras said:

Hi everyone, I'm new both in the forum and as a supporter as well.

I've been living in Melbourne for 4 years now and basically the first football match I watched here in Australia was Melbourne fc and since then the team got a special place in my heart.

Now, I'm a wog, I'm from Italy and my team is Torino fc, but since I live here I decided to support the City team, and tonight I've been there at Aami park.

It was a disaster.

And I'm not talking about the game, yes it was shit as well, but I'm talking about us people. The guys may let us down but what I saw was just a bunch of bored kids standing there in silence. Why? Should we sing only when the team is winning? Are the guys playing like shit? We should let them know. Is the coach doing something wrong, we should scream it out.. And never lower our voice.

It's ben 90 minutes of singing a little bit of Depeche mode , and some da da da, that's it. We should roar our feelings out, and it should be about sport and beyond, it should be social and about justice..

Don't get me wrong, I like how things are here in Aus, safe and everything, back to Europe you get stabbed for a football match and it's not really worth it. But no violence = no passion?

Where's the pride? Where's the honour? The feeling of belonging?

You can tell me to fuck off straight away, since I'm no one here, but I just would like to know what you guys think..

cheers and go City

Welcome aboard mate to both the forum and the team. 

6 hours ago, AttilaUGultras said:

I've been living in Melbourne for 4 years now and basically the first football match I watched here in Australia was Melbourne fc and since then the team got a special place in my heart.

Now, I'm a wog, I'm from Italy and my team is Torino fc, but since I live here I decided to support the City team, and tonight I've been there at Aami park.

It was a disaster.

And I'm not talking about the game, yes it was shit as well, but I'm talking about us people. The guys may let us down but what I saw was just a bunch of bored kids standing there in silence. Why? Should we sing only when the team is winning? Are the guys playing like shit? We should let them know. Is the coach doing something wrong, we should scream it out.. And never lower our voice.

It's ben 90 minutes of singing a little bit of Depeche mode , and some da da da, that's it. We should roar our feelings out, and it should be about sport and beyond, it should be social and about justice..

Don't get me wrong, I like how things are here in Aus, safe and everything, back to Europe you get stabbed for a football match and it's not really worth it. But no violence = no passion?

You can tell me to fuck off straight away, since I'm no one here, but I just would like to know what you guys think..

cheers and go City

Are you sure you want to do this to yourself?

We're fucking shit.

14 minutes ago, LB said:

I don't get the caceres selection hate. 11 v 11, he, Bratten and Fitzy were controlling the game, giving Sydney nightmares and creating a ton of space down the right flank. Was looking like a master stroke.

It was Fitzy Bruno and Caceras. Brattan was deeper with Kilkenny. I just thought for most he (Caceras)was too central and a natural wide player would have been more dangerous. 

I liked the set up and think it has merit.

8 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

we were done as soon as that shit lineup was put out
that fucking peasant ninkovic should of been off with 2 yellows 28 mins in 

how fucking hard is it to see that fucking fitzy and fernando have to start on the wings

Disagree, it isn't the lineup I would have chosen but we were playing well until Muscat's brain explosions. I agree with you about Ninkovic, repeated fouling whilst on a yellow and it was ignored by the ref, not even a warning

7 hours ago, AttilaUGultras said:

It was a disaster.

cheers and go City

I won't tell you to fuck off at all but once you've also been crushed by 7 seasons of this you'll begin to understand why it's difficult

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AttilaUGultras said:

It was a disaster.

cheers and go City

Welcome aboard, but it ain't a smart move for a new chum to tell rusted-on supporters what we should be doing. Many of us have had seven years of this. And, as it happens, we've done all the things that you think we should be doing.

• Like 1

It was a disaster.

cheers and go City

I'm also a wog and I totally agree with you. In Australia football is not a passion, it's a pass time. Most of the people here in Melbourne, eat, live, sleep, breath AFL. 

I also feel dissapointed with our active support. But I also understand that most aren't born with a traditional, family football passion running through their veins. Most see it as a night out until their real passion (AFL) starts.

Amicci azurri, it will take a new generation for football to be a close enough passion as it is in our countries of origin. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Shit Scottish bum fluff, shifty convict eyes, disgusting rat teeth topped off with a phaggot receding hairline pony tail. Congrats Ryan Grant you have the 2nd most punchable face in the A-league. (gypsy berisha will always be number one)

I'd argue it's topped off by the fact that it's actually spelt "Rhyan". What a tip rat.

It was a disaster.

cheers and go City

Mate the Melburnians usually put alot into it and sound great but would agree on last night, maybe they got caught up watching the game.

You should get an active membership next year and stir the lads up and get stuck in.

I know the last couple of derby's at Etihad i've stood and sung with the boys and my god is it a job and half! First Derby i couldnt speak properly till Wednesday, i personally have nothing but praise for the way they go about it.

But hey welcome aboard the ultimate rollercoaster.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, neio said:

Guys they are top for a reason,  they are a bloody good team.  Hard enough to beat with 11 men.  Almost no chance with 10

Apart from muscat I don't think anyone was particularly to blame tonight, their 2nd goal was a harsh handball but a top free kick.  And their 3rd dunno if anyone has noticed but ninkovic has been pulling apart defences all season with balls like that into their front 3.

While I'll never be happy with a loss there was enough in the first 40 minutes when we had equal numbers to say that we have turned a corner 

I think they're a bloody tough team. I still don't think they're better than we should be. People were bemoaning how well Zullo had been playing for Sydney this year. Well, trust me, I was sitting on that wing and Nick Fitzgerald did everything short of putting a gimp mask on Zullo. He was tearing him to pieces, time and time again. Look at their lineup. I defy anyone to tell me that on paper it looks like one of the best teams in the history of the league. But they're tough and they're smart, one of those 'whole is greater than the sum of its parts' sides that I can't remember Heart/City ever being at any point in the history of the club. I get the nagging feeling that if one of our whipping boys (Muscat, Malik, Rose, Tongyik even the marquee man) ended up in their colours next season, they'd suddenly look like rock solid cogs in that team.

But we're still just a team that "can beat anyone on their day", like we have been for oh, about 90% of our history. Flaky, inconsistent and pick and choose when we're going to be at our best. Haven't won two in a row in the league since mid-October. Sydney this year is a team that gives it everything they have, week in/week out. Guaranteed, if they had gone down to 10 men, instead of us, late in the first half, they still would have created numerous excellent chances, like every team seems to do against us when they're down to 10 men (they turned a deficit into a draw when they copped a second half red card against us earlier in the season, after all). When we're down to 10, we don't look like ever salvaging anything from the game (I think the last time we did, David Williams was prominently involved).

I think the most galling thing for me about last is that I couldn't fault the effort (well, maybe slightly once it was clear Sydney had the game in the bag): the result was simply down to brainfades. Our one goal took an exquisite piece of individual work, easily one of the best goals this year. Their three looked so, so soft in comparison. Sydney puts a premium on the goals that they concede. The team had a huddle thing going in the middle of the park after the game...it would be interesting to know what was discussed. There needs to be a line in the sand at some point. How much more are we supposed to take?

Edited by SF33
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Mate the Melburnians usually put alot into it and sound great but would agree on last night, maybe they got caught up watching the game.

You should get an active membership next year and stir the lads up and get stuck in.

I know the last couple of derby's at Etihad i've stood and sung with the boys and my god is it a job and half! First Derby i couldnt speak properly till Wednesday, i personally have nothing but praise for the way they go about it.

But hey welcome aboard the ultimate rollercoaster.

I sit on the side up that end and I rarely know what they're singing about when they break out a new chant. It just seemed like the odd random "Shit...Shit...Shitney" from where I was sitting. God knows what that bloke is mumbling about on the megaphone, with all the distortion. And I think the "If you love City, stand up" should used a lot more conservatively. I get that people want to show their support whether we play well, or badly (didn't stop Melburnians clearing out within about five minutes of the final whistle), but when half the crowd is pissed off by what is being dished up on the park and they're thinking "I'm not standing up for these clowns", well, you don't really have a choice, when half the people are standing and half the people aren't. It's really "If you want to see the game, stand up", not "If you love City..." when it's busted out at those times.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SF33 said:

I think they're a bloody tough team. I still don't think they're better than we should be. People were bemoaning how well Zullo had been playing for Sydney this year. Well, trust me, I was sitting on that wing and Nick Fitzgerald did everything short of putting a gimp mask on Zullo. He was tearing him to pieces, time and time again. Look at their lineup. I defy anyone to tell me that on paper it looks like one of the best teams in the history of the league. But they're tough and they're smart, one of those 'whole is greater than the sum of its parts' sides that I can't remember Heart/City ever being at any point in the history of the club. I get the nagging feeling that if one of our whipping boys (Muscat, Malik, Rose, Tongyik even the marquee man) ended up in their colours next season, they'd suddenly look like rock solid cogs in that team.

But we're still just a team that "can beat anyone on their day", like we have been for oh, about 90% of our history. Flaky, inconsistent and pick and choose when we're going to be at our best. Haven't won two in a row in the league since mid-October. Sydney this year is a team that gives it everything they have, week in/week out. Guaranteed, if they had gone down to 10 men, instead of us, late in the first half, they still would have created numerous excellent chances, like every team seems to do against us when they're down to 10 men (they turned a deficit into a draw when they copped a second half red card against us earlier in the season, after all). When we're down to 10, we don't look like ever salvaging anything from the game (I think the last time we did, David Williams was prominently involved).

I think the most galling thing for me about last is that I couldn't fault the effort (well, maybe slightly once it was clear Sydney had the game in the bag). Our one goal took an exquisite piece of individual work, easily one of the best goals this year. Their three looked so, so soft in comparison. Sydney puts a premium on the goals that they concede. The team had a huddle thing going in the middle of the park after the game...it would be interesting to know what was discussed. There needs to be a line in the sand at some point. How much more are we supposed to take?

Pretty much my thoughts exactly tbh.

I thought whilst we had 11, the starting line up and 4-2-3-1 formation was working well. Cahill was a constant threat up front and Bruno was causing them headaches whenever he got near the ball.

Half time this is where the coach has to put his hand up. Subbing Cahill, which seemed logical on one level (too old to do the extra work in a 10 man side) became a disaster when our 10 men had no outlet up front for long balls and thus were trying to pass it out from the back despite being outnumbered (hello 3rd goal). He had to stay on at least for another 25.

We also seemed to have no clue how to play with 10. Frankly this is down to the coach.

So overall we were comprehensively beaten and look light years behind Sydney.

(I guess we were lucky though that Sydney, "being mentally fragile", didn't sink the slipper and score another 4 or 5.)

2 hours ago, SF33 said:

I think the most galling thing for me about last is that I couldn't fault the effort (well, maybe slightly once it was clear Sydney had the game in the bag): the result was simply down to brainfades. Our one goal took an exquisite piece of individual work, easily one of the best goals this year. Their three looked so, so soft in comparison. Sydney puts a premium on the goals that they concede. The team had a huddle thing going in the middle of the park after the game...it would be interesting to know what was discussed. There needs to be a line in the sand at some point. How much more are we supposed to take?

Arnold did the same thing when he was at Central Coast. His A-League overall win% is 50.86, only a fraction behind Ange.

It's all about club and manager philosophy. Arnold is about results, and only results.

In the second half we did not give up, which was to the team's credit.  But the moment Muscat was ordered off, I knew we were stuffed.

GREAT job by Sorenson. And how close did Fernando come to scoring the best individual goal of the season?

I have no idea why so many people seem to  think we should be top of the league because we have rich owners..

I want a COACHING clear-out in the winter, not a squad clearout (with one or two exceptions),

We're in JVS Lite mode right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Arnold did the same thing when he was at Central Coast. His A-League overall win% is 50.86, only a fraction behind Ange.

It's all about club and manager philosophy. Arnold is about results, and only results.

Arnold's Mariners I liked watching, and they were getting results.  This Sydney team bores me to tears.

3 hours ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Arnold's Mariners I liked watching, and they were getting results.  This Sydney team bores me to tears.

I'm just the type of geek to disagree Kiro but (result aside obviously) I think they're actually good to watch. They have some exciting forwards, a clever midfield and a rock solid defence with obvious good foot skills (can't remember the last time I saw a CB taking corners or standing over a dead ball discussing who should take it with a teammate).  But what I like to watch is a machine that works together and plays within its own capabilities. I warned you I was a geek, but looking at their organisation and structure only made me jealous as to why we can't do this?!?!?! Whether you like Annie or not, the guy can coach and build something with what he has at his disposal. I find that really interesting. 

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

But finally to see us defend a bitter deeper and in a more organised fashion in the first half at least warmed my heart (no pun intended).  Players creating a 4-2-4 defensive organised structure made it hard for Sydney to play and the dour tactical battle I found interesting. It's probably too late for the season, but a bit more of that pragmatism and we were well in the game against the leagues best team. If only............................................!?!?!?!?

well, thank you for welcoming me guys, I'll try to be there as often as I can, unfortunately with my job ( I'm a chef ) it's pretty hard to have w.e. nights off.

Anyway I understand the disappointment of years of shit games, Torino has been doing "good" the last three years ( of course ,when I'm far away) but before it was hell , going up and down from serie a to serie b . What I mean is that if the guys or the coach are doing shit we should say it, scream it. We don't want 3 little birds, we want 11 lions, and not 1 but 22 balls on the field, then if we lose fighting it's a different story..

Cheers guys, see you in the pit ;)

16 hours ago, Defibrillator said:

I'm just the type of geek to disagree Kiro but (result aside obviously) I think they're actually good to watch. They have some exciting forwards, a clever midfield and a rock solid defence with obvious good foot skills (can't remember the last time I saw a CB taking corners or standing over a dead ball discussing who should take it with a teammate).  But what I like to watch is a machine that works together and plays within its own capabilities. I warned you I was a geek, but looking at their organisation and structure only made me jealous as to why we can't do this?!?!?! Whether you like Annie or not, the guy can coach and build something with what he has at his disposal. I find that really interesting. 

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

But finally to see us defend a bitter deeper and in a more organised fashion in the first half at least warmed my heart (no pun intended).  Players creating a 4-2-4 defensive organised structure made it hard for Sydney to play and the dour tactical battle I found interesting. It's probably too late for the season, but a bit more of that pragmatism and we were well in the game against the leagues best team. If only............................................!?!?!?!?

I tend to agree with most of what you are saying. My only addition is that Sydney's organisation before the red was good but not great as we managed to break them down on many occasions with a pretty basic game plan. Our defence was good but not great and alway suspect to the over the top counter which is a problem that really hasn't been address since the FFA cup final. And the passing sideways in defence was alway going to be risky. Even with all our defensive issues we still had control of the game and they were looking fragile as I don't think they really have an effective plan B as also seen against WSW. This is why I think they are very susceptible to pressure as we demonstrated with out playing them.

2 incidents caused our demise and both were from weak passes in defence and the resultant brain fades.

After the red it was nothing special on their part. We played the wrong tactic with 10 men, we played the silly high press high possession and move the ball slow which was blatant tactical stupidity with one less player on the pitch, and any A league team would have put us away.

I honestly think the smart move at half time would have been taking Brattan off (who moves the ball at a snail's pace) instead of Tim and play a 4 1 3 1, with a deep back 4, leave Tim up top and counter with Bruno, Caceres and Fitzy and hope for a quick break with quick and direct ball movement.

Anyway, another opportunity squandered; back to the illuminati thread for me.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, AttilaUGultras said:

well, thank you for welcoming me guys, I'll try to be there as often as I can, unfortunately with my job ( I'm a chef ) it's pretty hard to have w.e. nights off.

What I mean is that if the guys or the coach are doing shit we should say it, scream it. We don't want 3 little birds, we want 11 lions, and not 1 but 22 balls on the field, then if we lose fighting it's a different story..

Cheers guys, see you in the pit ;)

You obviously weren't sitting next to me as the poor people around me were wearing ear protection and I think they were preparing a straight jacket to take me away by the 70th minute.

• Like 1

Cahill was an absolute burden. Constant offside and bitching around. But the biggest problem is that such attacking structure nullifies Bruno completely.

Once Caceras been replaced our attack dried.

Fresh Kamau was worse than tired Fitzy. Very disappointing.

Fernando needs to start every game.

Brattan is actually much better when he plays deeper.

Rose continues to improve.

Killer really needs to stop winging about his teammates and dobbing them in to coaches.

Overall I blame Valkanis and not the players or particularly Muscat. Sydney was absolutely doable even when we were 1:2 down we could of draw.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MXG said:

Cahill was an absolute burden. Constant offside and bitching around. But the biggest problem is that such attacking structure nullifies Bruno completely.

Once Caceras been replaced our attack dried.

Fresh Kamau was worse than tired Fitzy. Very disappointing.

Fernando needs to start every game.

Brattan is actually much better when he plays deeper.

Rose continues to improve.

Killer really needs to stop winging about his teammates and dobbing them in to coaches.

Overall I blame Valkanis and not the players or particularly Muscat. Sydney was absolutely doable even when we were 1:2 down we could of draw.

I dont mind Cahills aggression and hunger on the park but im not sure what else he does other than every now and then pop up for a goal. I reckon it would be a good thing that next season he jump on the coaching in the coaching staff and let the front 3rd return to normal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

I can't be bothered with us finishing the 6. Would much rather just miss it and tune out for the 6 month off season

Your wish may very well come true. We have won only four league matches since we beat Newcastle 2-1 at home on 10th November. Two of those victories were over Wellington, and the other two over WSW and CCM, in both cases against 10 men. We didn't win a match in December, two in January and one in February. Nothing short of disgraceful considering the squad we have.

van 't Schip resigned on 1st January 2017. Since then Valkanis has coached for 8 matches, and has a 3-1-4 record.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, 'Einstein' said:

I know everyone's doing their best but we need a manager next season who can change our culture  through his own leadership.  A manager that demands results. A manager that blows a gasket when we've stuffed up. A manager who is pacing the sidelines and right in the f_king zone!

I think we should go for the Brisbane coach John Aloisi, he was a great Socceroo, has a good record with the Roar and has a great media personality.

• Like 4