Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Sydney FC 7:50pm, Friday 24th February

kingofhearts

37 minutes ago, SF33 said:

It's a long bow to say that their last game was the one that has really mattered in the league this season and not the 19 that preceded it. They've lost one game all season (next best is five) and conceded 10 goals (next best is 24). If that's not a sign that they've been mentally tough this season - at least to this point - then I don't know what is.

Not to forget that they came from behind to beat the tards on Aus day, the game that effectively killed off victory's title challenge 

I actually don't think it's over just yet. Through playmakers hard headed opinion there is the possibility that Sydney may have a few more losses. And while his logic lacks well, logic, it could happen as it did with our women's team. 

I think regardless* of what happens this week the clincher will be the smurfs v tards game the following week. 

*besides perhaps Sydney winning and Tards losing this week. 

53 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I actually don't think it's over just yet. Through playmakers hard headed opinion there is the possibility that Sydney may have a few more losses. And while his logic lacks well, logic, it could happen as it did with our women's team. 

I think regardless* of what happens this week the clincher will be the smurfs v tards game the following week. 

*besides perhaps Sydney winning and Tards losing this week. 

I definitely see where hes coming from, there's certainly a possibility that they might go to pieces somewhat. Even when Brisbane finally fell in their unbeaten streak they ended up losing 5 on the bounce before recovering. Added to the fact that Sydney don't look any more outstanding than the other top teams, both on paper and on the pitch and have seriously rode their luck over the course of the season then there's a case that they could fall away for sure.

Most have taken issue with the 'mentally fragile' part for good reason though; there's no way possible they go undefeated for 19 rounds without showing serious steel, not to mention the come from behind results they've obtained throughout the season.

At the end of the day I still think they'll win the plate by at least 5 points, but may drop a few games on the run home. Come finals however, game on moles. If we can string together some good form over the next two months and finish in 3rd, I'm supremely confident we can go all the way.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

I definitely see where hes coming from, there's certainly a possibility that they might go to pieces somewhat. Even when Brisbane finally fell in their unbeaten streak they ended up losing 5 on the bounce before recovering. Added to the fact that Sydney don't look any more outstanding than the other top teams, both on paper and on the pitch and have seriously rode their luck over the course of the season then there's a case that they could fall away for sure.

Most have taken issue with the 'mentally fragile' part for good reason though; there's no way possible they go undefeated for 19 rounds without showing serious steel, not to mention the come from behind results they've obtained throughout the season.

At the end of the day I still think they'll win the plate by at least 5 points, but may drop a few games on the run home. Come finals however, game on moles. If we can string together some good form over the next two months and finish in 3rd, I'm supremely confident we can go all the way.

We finish 3rd and we effectively have 2 home finals (the second being at Etihad against the Tards)

After the last Derby, i left gutted, but at the same time very confident that if we get another shot at them in the finals, we've got them covered.

Some people might find this strange as fuck, but i cant think of anything better than going away for a final and winning it. Would feel like it was just us in the away bay and the players celebrating. 

Lets get past these cunts first.

2-1 to us :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

Some people might find this strange as fuck, but i cant think of anything better than going away for a final and winning it. Would feel like it was just us in the away bay and the players celebrating. 

Really agree with this statement. Winning a Grand Final on the road would be amazing, even better than winning it at home. You'd have all the die hards that have forked out their hard earned to travel with you at the venue, likely the same die hards that had experienced the past 7 seasons that were Heart and the takeover, and would get to celebrate with them, as opposed to some just going home content after a great win. So much more of a personal experience. The idea alone makes me moist.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Really agree with this statement. Winning a Grand Final on the road would be amazing, even better than winning it at home. You'd have all the die hards that have forked out their hard earned to travel with you at the venue, likely the same die hards that had experienced the past 7 seasons that were Heart and the takeover, and would get to celebrate with them, as opposed to some just going home content after a great win. So much more of a personal experience. The idea alone makes me moist.

Would be amazing and you'd have no excuse to not celebrate long and hard into the night.

Totally agree on the die hards being in the ones there with you as well.

Just gotta get there first. Will be a massive raod trip i reckon as you can only imagine that every airline would jack up the prices

12 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

Would be amazing and you'd have no excuse to not celebrate long and hard into the night.

Totally agree on the die hards being in the ones there with you as well.

Just gotta get there first. Will be a massive raod trip i reckon as you can only imagine that every airline would jack up the prices

Getting way ahead of ourselves, but even a grand final loss, as crushing as it would be would make for a sick away trip. So many people would travel, and the week in the build up to the GF would be so good.

Anyway, to this week, I'm also going 2-1, with us to score the first and last. Bruno double.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Getting way ahead of ourselves, but even a grand final loss, as crushing as it would be would make for a sick away trip. So many people would travel, and the week in the build up to the GF would be so good.

Anyway, to this week, I'm also going 2-1, with us to score the first and last. Bruno double.

Ain't that the truth. Let's win two games in a row first, before we start considering grand final trips.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bt50 said:

Good summary of where my thoughts are too BT.  It still does mean we've got to up our game over where we've been through the middle of the season, but I sense we're moving in the right direction.

3 hours ago, [LIBBA] said:

We finish 3rd and we effectively have 2 home finals (the second being at Etihad against the Tards)

After the last Derby, i left gutted, but at the same time very confident that if we get another shot at them in the finals, we've got them covered.

Lets get past these cunts first.

2-1 to us :)

Just being hypothetical, but if first to fourth is Sydney,  Victory, us and Roar, and in the semis we beat Victory and Roar beat Sydney, would we then get a home final at AAMI?  And if so, unlikely but not impossible?   And yes, getting way ahead of ourselves...

24 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Just being hypothetical, but if first to fourth is Sydney,  Victory, us and Roar, and in the semis we beat Victory and Roar beat Sydney, would we then get a home final at AAMI?  And if so, unlikely but not impossible?   And yes, getting way ahead of ourselves...

Yes. The highest finishing side hosts the grand final.

11 hours ago, Chris p said:

Rugby starting thursday night at aami ? fugg it : : 

And Victory play there on the day after we do. Hardly ideal. The rugby should be played on the Sunday...

Even worse is what's to come in March. Rugby League on 16th March, Rugby on 17th, and we play Newcastle on the 18th.

Victory cop it again on 2nd April with Rugby League the day before.

Just woeful scheduling. http://www.aamipark.com.au/event/coming-events/

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And Victory play there on the day after we do. Hardly ideal. The rugby should be played on the Sunday...

Even worse is what's to come in March. Rugby League on 16th March, Rugby on 17th, and we play Newcastle on the 18th.

Victory cop it again on 2nd April with Rugby League the day before.

Just woeful scheduling. http://www.aamipark.com.au/event/coming-events/

Not ideal, but the League isnt such a big issue, Union seems to have way more of an impact on the surface with the increase in scrums etc

• Like 2

1.Thomas SORENSEN (gk), 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3.Josh ROSE, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 6.Osama MALIK, 8.Neil KILKENNY, 9.Nicolas COLAZO, 10.Anthony CACERES, 11.Bruce KAMAU, 12.Nick FITZGERALD, 17.Tim CAHILL, 18.Paulo RETRE, 21.Ruon TONGYIK, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Fernando BRANDAN, 34.Denis GENREAU, 40.Yaren SOZER (gk),

**two to be omitted**

Ins:  5.Ivan FRANJIC (returns from injury), 11.Bruce KAMAU (promoted)

Outs: nil

Unavailable: 22.Michael JAKOBSEN (calf – 1 week), 20.Dean BOUZANIS (suspended – 3 weeks), 7.Corey GAMEIRO (ACL – season), 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI (ACL – season)

5 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

1.Thomas SORENSEN (gk), 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3.Josh ROSE, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 6.Osama MALIK, 8.Neil KILKENNY, 9.Nicolas COLAZO, 10.Anthony CACERES, 11.Bruce KAMAU, 12.Nick FITZGERALD, 17.Tim CAHILL, 18.Paulo RETRE, 21.Ruon TONGYIK, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Fernando BRANDAN, 34.Denis GENREAU, 40.Yaren SOZER (gk),

**two to be omitted**

Ins:  5.Ivan FRANJIC (returns from injury), 11.Bruce KAMAU (promoted)

Outs: nil

Unavailable: 22.Michael JAKOBSEN (calf – 1 week), 20.Dean BOUZANIS (suspended – 3 weeks), 7.Corey GAMEIRO (ACL – season), 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI (ACL – season)

Sorensen

Franjic     Malik            Tongyik     Rose

Kilkenny

Brattan        Caceres

Fitzgerald       Fornaroli      Brandan

SUBS Sozer Cahill Colazo Kamau Muscat   

Without knowing anything I reackon Jakobsen is close but they are holding him back. He was probably 50/50 against Victory and since then they are being overly cautious to make sure he is 100% come finals. 

Although it is getting a bit like Aaron Hughes situation still early days though. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jovan said:

Without knowing anything I reackon Jakobsen is close but they are holding him back. He was probably 50/50 against Victory and since then they are being overly cautious to make sure he is 100% come finals. 

Although it is getting a bit like Aaron Hughes situation still early days though. 

Hasn't he already played, like, three times as many games for us as Hughes did?

He's missed a few games. Injuries happen. I think people just need to settle down.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, bt50 said:

Sorensen

Kilkenny

Brattan        Caceres

Very hard to argue with this tbh. The only change I'd consider is dropping Brattan for Colazo in the middle, and against any other team I probably would, but against Sydney you don't really want to try anything too risky

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bt50 said:

Sorensen

Kilkenny

Brattan        Caceres

As @bt50 mentioned most likely starting lineup. My only pondering is Kamau. He played arguably his best game against the Roar then was omitted for the Wellington game. I'm assuming it wasn't due to injury or fitness more tactical so I think he might be in the reckoning for a start.  Fitzy or Brandan may have to warm the pine. Fitzy was superb last start but can be pretty predictable, Brandan had less influence last week but worked very hard and brings so much.

Not sure? 

Woke up with the lead chords from So Happy Together stuck in my head.

Must be game day (so fire up kents!!!)

Hope that Cahill and Colazo get a bit of game time together (either starting on field or on bench); thought against Brisbane Colazo final delivery deserved a better target in the box. Would seem a waste of two big talents otherwise.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Hope that Cahill and Colazo get a bit of game time together (either starting on field or on bench); thought against Brisbane Colazo final delivery deserved a better target in the box. Would seem a waste of two big talents otherwise.

Couldn't agree with you more as it seems like the perfect partnership. TBH I don't know why it hasn't been done regularly.

I hope your right.

59 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Couldn't agree with you more as it seems like the perfect partnership. TBH I don't know why it hasn't been done regularly.

I hope your right.

Probably because neither Cahill or Colazo are great going the other way. 

But Colazo did look improved last week so I guess we will know in a few hours.

• Like 1

Formation: 4-4-2

-------------------------Sorenson-----------------------------

--Franjic----------Malik--------Muscat-----------Rose--

Fitzy-------------Brattan------Kilkenny---------Caceras

-------------------Fornaroli--Cahill--------------------------

OR

Formation: 4-3-3

-------------------------Sorenson-----------------------------

--Franjic----------Malik--------Muscat-----------Rose--

------------Caceras----Kilkenny------Brattan-----------

Fitzy---------------------Cahill------------------Fornaroli