Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Sydney FC 7:50pm, Friday 24th February

kingofhearts

It's a line in the sand game for me. We last won two league games in a row in mid-October. We have absolutely pissed our last games against Sydney and Victory away and if we'd held on for the win in those two games (without even considering all the other games that we've thrown points away) we'd be one point off second place and still within touching distance of top spot (considering we have two more games against Sydney).

Sydney is not 17 bloody points better than us and it's about time we showed that, in no uncertain terms.

• Like 2

It's going to be interesting to see how Sydney bounce back from the derby loss. The way the players were talking post-game was essentially, "Yeah, but this is the only game we've lost all year so its fine". The Smurf's delusions of grandeur might get us over the line.

Edited by IssySG
  • Like 1

Down hill spiral for Sydney now. They got trashed in a very important game last match and now that the business end of the season is here they will fall apart.

They are 7th in possession stats in the league and have been the best counter-attacking side, so theoretically WILL destroy us if we go back to our garbage game plan, even though we should have won last time, which just proves how fragile they are mentally.

A pivotal game for both sides as in if the smurfs lose they will collapse mentally, if we lose then it stops our positive momentum.

Who will panic? that's the big question, Arnold or our player list.

Edited by playmaker

54 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Down hill spiral for Sydney now. They got trashed in a very important game last match and now that the business end of the season is here they will fall apart.

They are 7th in possession stats in the league and have been the best counter-attacking side, so theoretically WILL destroy us if we go back to our garbage game plan, even though we should have won last time, which just proves how fragile they are mentally.

A pivotal game for both sides as in if the smurfs lose they will collapse mentally, if we lose then it stops our positive momentum.

Who will panic? that's the big question, Arnold or our player list.

:droy: :droy: :droy: 

We played them in Round 10. It's taken them another 10 rounds to lose a match for goodness sakes. How in the world does this give you even an idea that they may be mentally fragile due to our draw 10 weeks ago? It proves the total polar opposite of what you've suggested. And then to tie in mental fragility with their possession stats (which is obviously working).... I just don't get what angle or where your ideas are coming from. It make no sense whatsoever. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 3

Talk of Sydney being mentally fragile is absurd. They have almost tied up the Premiership and will have to have a massive turn-around in results not to finish in the top 2. Beaten only twice this season, once in the Cup and once in the League, tightest defence in the League by a factor of two, etc. etc. The reality for City is that we're fighting to keep a place in the top four.

Doesn't mean that we can't beat them om Friday of course, but to say that Sydney are teetering on the brink after one League defeat doesn't make any sense to me.

Just hope that the weather is kind for Friday, that we see a cracker of a game with a big crowd, and City give it our best shot.

• Like 1

Agree. Talk of Sydney being mentally weak is that far off the mark its not funny. If anything they are the opposite; personally I think we have the better squad yet we’re not the ones that have just lost their first game in Round 20. Sydney have been clearly the best side all year, but for mine at least our best is better than their best.

I think we’ll get at least a point this week, and am very confident of taking all three points; but it wont be because Sydney are ‘mentally soft’

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Agree. Talk of Sydney being mentally weak is that far off the mark its not funny. If anything they are the opposite; personally I think we have the better squad yet we’re not the ones that have just lost their first game in Round 20. Sydney have been clearly the best side all year, but for mine at least our best is better than their best.

I think we’ll get at least a point this week, and am very confident of taking all three points; but it wont be because Sydney are ‘mentally soft’

This. We match up well against them and have for a while. I don't remember the last time we actually had a bad game against them and if we end up in the granny with them I'd be tipping us

• Like 1

Hopefully Franjic and jakobsen return,  I'd be playing colazo at left back. I think Arnie will switch up squad a little and ibini will start. 

Apart from that the it's the same as last week for me.  Kamau I'm assuming will be back and can sit on bench due to outstanding form of Fitz. Same with cahill and Caceras form 

1 lost in 20 rounds is anything but being fragile mentally. 

If we make the GF  and play Sydney (which I'm now doubting) I reackon would win. Arnold is a choker. 

This week if Jakobsen starts we have a chance but if he has a calf then we might not see him for a month and more than likely lose but at this stage of the week I'm leaning towards a draw.

38 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Yes we have the better team but, until the last few weeks, I wouldn't have said we have the more cohesive and fluent team.  It's the old "team of good players versus the good team of players" situation.  This game will show where we stand.

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

:droy: :droy: :droy: 

We played them in Round 10. It's taken them another 10 rounds to lose a match for goodness sakes. How in the world does this give you even an idea that they may be mentally fragile due to our draw 10 weeks ago? It proves the total polar opposite of what you've suggested. And then to tie in mental fragility with their possession stats (which is obviously working).... I just don't get what angle or where your ideas are coming from. It make no sense whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Talk of Sydney being mentally fragile is absurd. They have almost tied up the Premiership and will have to have a massive turn-around in results not to finish in the top 2. Beaten only twice this season, once in the Cup and once in the League, tightest defence in the League by a factor of two, etc. etc. The reality for City is that we're fighting to keep a place in the top four.

Doesn't mean that we can't beat them om Friday of course, but to say that Sydney are teetering on the brink after one League defeat doesn't make any sense to me.

Just hope that the weather is kind for Friday, that we see a cracker of a game with a big crowd, and City give it our best shot.

They are mentally fragile. Arnold will go into 'blame the world' mode like he usually does and the players will follow suit. History shows Arnold will destroy himself and his team.

39 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

mate I've been trying for years now to get my hands on what strides has been smoking.

It's a mix or petrol and Bindeez beads

39 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

The smurf pussies are all upset about the banner and Chris Beath apologised for missing the penalty decision . What a joke, and watch the decisions go against us this week.

It's basically a first questionable decision to go against them all season and they get an apology, FFS where are our 10+ apologies.

They lose one game and whinge like pussies, mentally fragile they are, they are going down

8 minutes ago, playmaker said:

The smurf pussies are all upset about the banner and Chris Beath apologised for missing the penalty decision . What a joke, and watch the decisions go against us this week.

It's basically a first questionable decision to go against them all season and they get an apology, FFS where are our 10+ apologies.

They lose one game and whinge like pussies, mentally fragile they are, they are going down

Not to mention that most some of the Sydney fans are interior designers and decided that seats in the stadium are so 2016.

28 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Actually we have received several apologies this season. 

Refereeing this season has been the worst ever. Hasn't been a round let alone a game that a massive mistake hasn't been made.

I'm with you on one of your previous "quality posts" regarding marquee refs.

The time has come.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, playmaker said:

They are mentally fragile. Arnold will go into 'blame the world' mode like he usually does and the players will follow suit. History shows Arnold will destroy himself and his team.

Based on what logic? Of course if we beat them it's easy to claim they are but I would have backed us regardless of their derby result. However as of this moment there's nothing to show they are fragile at all. They put in a good performance and were unlucky with some calls. How does this info lead you to beleive they are fragile I don't know. 

While it's certainly pretty premature (if not, completely arse about) to consider Sydney to be mentally weak, I can sort of see them being susceptible to a pretty poor run into the finals, given they're eight clear with only seven games to go. But, if we beat them, it's game on for the title, with Sydney playing Victory the following week.

I think it's just a case of Sydney, in my opinion, not looking any more talented on paper than, say, Brisbane or Perth. They've just had the toughness to get a result in every game they've needed to (Cup Final aside). But now that the aura of invincibility has been broken, if we beat them this week, it could be a very interesting run home for them.

11 hours ago, n i k o said:

Based on what logic? Of course if we beat them it's easy to claim they are but I would have backed us regardless of their derby result. However as of this moment there's nothing to show they are fragile at all. They put in a good performance and were unlucky with some calls. How does this info lead you to beleive they are fragile I don't know. 

They lose when it matters, FFA cup, the last game against WSW for the 'Invincibles' tag, and now the business end of the season the cracks are appearing.

They are starting to moan from the top. Arnold is weak.

You can see the pattern, it's the 'vibe'.

Edited by playmaker

6 minutes ago, playmaker said:

They lose when it matters, FFA cup, the last game against WSW for the 'Invincibles' tag, and now the business end of the season the crack are appearing.

They are starting to moan from the top. Arnold is weak.

You can see the pattern, it's the 'vibe'.

It's a long bow to say that their last game was the one that has really mattered in the league this season and not the 19 that preceded it. They've lost one game all season (next best is five) and conceded 10 goals (next best is 24). If that's not a sign that they've been mentally tough this season - at least to this point - then I don't know what is.