Melbourne Football

Dylan Pierias

haz

How 2006 Caltex Socceroos inspired Melbourne City's Dylan Pierias' rise

Josh Bennett @JoshBennett50

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/how-2006-caltex-socceroos-inspired-melbourne-citys-dylan-pierias-rise/1ehjozepo46z41a0s0rsuyotpq

As a six-year-old, Dylan Pierias got up in the middle of the night, like most of Australia, to be thrilled by the Caltex Socceroos' exploits at the 2006 FIFA World Cup.

Now, as a 16-year-old he became the first millennial to play in the Hyundai A-League.

Thrust into City’s starting line-up after a raft of suspensions and injuries last weekend, Pierias showed maturity beyond his years in an eye-catching performance against a full-strength Brisbane Roar outfit.

Playing at right-back in a makeshift City back-four, Pierias proved he’s more than capable at A-League level to help Michael Valkanis’ youthful side to an impressive 2-2 draw at AAMI Park.

But if it wasn’t for the exploits of Tim Cahill, Harry Kewell and Co in Germany over a decade ago, Pierias may not have been playing football at all.

“I was playing Aussie Rules at the time just for my local club,” Pierias told the Herald Sun’s Matt Windley (@MattyHeraldSun)

“We still liked soccer though, my family, so I hopped up and watched the World Cup games and just loved it.

“Tim Cahill, he was one of my favourite players. I asked my dad if I could give this game a go and he said ‘sure’.

Melbourne City's Tim Cahill has scored the opening goal on six occasions this season.

“That tournament changed my life. The games I was watching influenced my thinking at the time.”

Fast-forward ten years and the youngster is now sharing a training pitch with Cahill and could line up alongside the Socceroos legend this weekend against Wellington Phoenix.

It’s been quite a month for the Year 11 student.

An integral member of City’s Youth team, Pierias played the full 90 minutes as Joe Palatsides’ side claimed a thrilling last-gasp 3-2 win over Sydney FC in the Y-League Grand Final just over a fortnight ago.

Pierias has begun training with the senior squad over the past two weeks and had the opportunity to work alongside the likes of Socceroos defender Ivan Franjic, Danish international Michael Jakobsen and Uruguayan sensation Bruno Fornaroli.

But it’s a certain Tim Cahill which has left the biggest impression on the youngster, admitting he was left star struck when he first came across Australia’s all-time leading goal-scorer a few months back.

“He was still at the club one day and I saw him. He was so nice when I saw him, that was really cool,” Pierias said.

“He just said ‘how’s it going mate? What’s your name?’ I said ‘Dylan’, he said ‘I’m Timmy’ and I said ‘yeah, I know’.

“Obviously it’s pretty cool that now I’m training with him and possibly could even play with him.”

And with Ivan Franjic and Michael Jakobsen both sidelined with injury, Pierias may just get that chance this weekend in New Zealand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Squady at best

Geez harsh, we've only seen him once haha. Was good last week, won't be getting too carried away til we see a bit more of him, but has earnt himself another start imo. Wait and see whether he deserves to retain it going forward.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Geez harsh, we've only seen him once haha. Was good last week, won't be getting too carried away til we see a bit more of him, but has earnt himself another start imo. Wait and see whether he deserves to retain it going forward.

ebmuq7N.jpg

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

I wonder if it would be worthwhile if we could arrange a loan deal with an overseas club in a competition better than the NPL, yet not as high as the HAL, somewhere like Malaysia (Nabout played there for a bit before going to Jets, it seemed to do him a lot of good), or maybe Indonesia or Thailand. I watched a game in the AFC cup (equivalent to Europa for Asia) between an Indonesian team and a Thai team, the quality wasn't that bad tbh.

It would be a good experience, can go to international school and get to play full time at a higher level than they are already, it could be something to consider for a year or so.

If Franjic is fit though, he should start there is no doubt. Pierias did well though I thought, a proper RB not a converted winger who made some great tackles and was ok going forward, pretty impressive for a 16yr old I thought.

17 hours ago, bt50 said:

we need to see how he would go against a 'fresh' Sydney not a 'tired' Brisbane before blowing any trumpets!

15 hours ago, fensaddler said:

One or more of our current crop of kids will make it big in Europe and/or as Socceroos.  I have a feeling we are lucky to be watching a golden generation coming through.

are you serious? seems most young kids from oz that head overseas make a pretty quick return journey eg: Daniel De Silva. It's a lot tougher in Europe believe you me than little ol' down under - especially when we have 16 years old's playng A-League :)

56 minutes ago, #1fan said:

we need to see how he would go against a 'fresh' Sydney not a 'tired' Brisbane before blowing any trumpets!

are you serious? seems most young kids from oz that head overseas make a pretty quick return journey eg: Daniel De Silva. It's a lot tougher in Europe believe you me than little ol' down under - especially when we have 16 years old's playng A-League :)

No 1, seems to me the problem with the younger ones that go to Europe is that in the back of their minds is Plan B go back to the A League  and earn decent coin. As a result they found themselves in a cutthroat situation in Europe and instead of being absolutely desperate to make it they shirk it a tad and hey presto back for the easy cash. Except  they haven't been playing regularly and even that easy cash starts to be hard.

Compare Eli Babalj with Vince Grella. When Grella found himself out on loan not getting a game, he dug deep. In short it was the making of him. Most of the current batch sulk and go home.

• Like 2

Just now, Shahanga said:

No 1, seems to me the problem with the younger ones that go to Europe is that in the back of their minds is Plan B go back to the A League  and earn decent coin. As a result they found themselves in a cutthroat situation in Europe and instead of being absolutely desperate to make it they shirk it a tad and hey presto back for the easy cash. Except  they haven't been playing regularly and even that easy cash starts to be hard.

Compare Eli Babalj with Vince Grella. When Grella found himself out on loan not getting a game, he dug deep. In short it was the making of him. Most of the current batch sulk and go home.

I dont think Babalj has stopped sulking since birth

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Shahanga, mate you're dead right! The aussies actually have it pretty easy compared to our European counterparts. They've got the A-League to fall back on, not so lucky overseas. That other kid who went to Liverpool, I see he's on his way back as well.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/02/03/exclusive-australian-whiz-kid-brimmer-be-axed-liverpool

The crop of footballer's in Europe is prestige to what we have here.  Spent a few years overseas and it ain't easy and making a living off football is even harder!...unless you're playing first team, a starter and in high demand. For example the two highest paying teams in Spain for example, Barcelona and Real Madrid and possibly Villarreal and Valencia pay big bucks to the big names, the other 16 teams either pay very very poorly or don't even pay their players. Football is one hell of a tough business.

5 hours ago, Shahanga said:

There is also the I'm a big fish in a small pond but when they get to europe they realise how small a pond Oz is in terms of football. Also when the golden Gen went to Europe, the NSL did not pay as well as the A-League.

Add that the Africans, Eastern Europeans, Russians and Asians have come up the pool of talent has increased but the number of clubs that pay decent coin has remained more or less static (Chinese and Petro dollar clubs have added to the mix but not by a large number). 

As far as Babalj is concerned, I could never see what the hype was about given that he had the turning circle of an ocean liner.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Just named in the 'Next Generation 2017: 60 of the best young talents in world football'

A thoroughly modern-day right-back, Pierias made headlines in February this year when he debuted for City at the age of 16 to become the first player born this millennium to play in the A-League (last year's Australian Next Generation entry, Sebastian Pasquali, was previously the youngest player to appear in the competition). Ufuk Talay, the Young Socceroos' coach, believes Pierias, now 17, is one of several youngsters he works with who has what it takes to succeed at the highest level. “He's a very smart player, technically sound and can play out from the back,” Talay says. “He's very athletic and has a good engine to go up and down as a full-back.” Further opportunities to play senior football are yet to arrive for Pierias but may not be far away if he continues to develop under the guidance of more experienced first-team squad members.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2017/oct/04/next-generation-2017-60-of-the-best-young-talents-in-world-football

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Nothing saying he is injured.

In Dylan Pierias and Sofia Sakalis, Melbourne City have two of Australia’s best young prospects.

Pierias is a speedy right-back and when he made his debut against Brisbane Roar last season was the youngest player in the history of the A-League to do so.

Meanwhile Sakalis, a skilful attacking midfielder, was only 15 when she played her first senior game in the W-League earlier this season.

Both players are earmarked as potential stars of the game with Pierias captaining the Young Socceroos while Sakalis featured for Australia’s U-17 team that played in Asia earlier this year.

Pierias told FourFourTwo that when he made his senior team bow he had to ask for time off from his studies.

“I was still in school so I had to take a week off because I had to train with the first team for a whole week, and then I made my debut,” said the now 17-year-old.

“I was so excited the week leading up to the game especially when the coach told me that I was potentially going to start, so I was nervous.

"But then when I found out I was starting, for some reason I felt more relaxed.

“Growing up all I ever thought about was being a professional footballer. The first thing you think of is being able to make your debut so when I did it was a very special moment for me."

When Sakalis made her senior debut in the 5-2 win against Newcastle Jets at 15 years and 124 days, she was the eighth youngest player to do so in W-League history.

Matildas superstar Sam Kerr is still the youngest at 15 years and 45 days, but for the City teenager her debut was a memorable occasion.

“It was an amazing experience, especially being at AAMI Park,” Sakalis told FourFourTwo.

“I was buzzing to come on, even though it was for such a short time. It was amazing to be surrounded by some of the best players in Australia.

“Training hard and leading up to it, it's an experience that I won’t forget for a while.

“It’s amazing to think that from such a young age watching everyone play and then in the glimpse of an eye being a part of those teams - all the hard work has finally paid off.”

Pierias hopes that this season will provide even further opportunities to play in the first team.

“It’s hard to get game time because Melbourne City’s team is stacked at the moment,” he said.

“So, it’s hard for the younger boys to get a sniff. But I feel like every day I’m getting closer and closer to getting a game.

“I was on the list to be in the squad against Brisbane but I didn’t play but that was a step forward and hopefully I see some more game time in the future.”

And while Sakalis is also looking to get more minutes under her belt, long-term she is also eyeing a Matildas debut.

“Ideally that’s where I want to end up,” she said. “Obviously my next goal would be to make the U-19 Matildas and then moving on from there to the Matildas.

“But, you know, I’ll have to keep performing.

“Being in such a good environment as Melbourne City with all facilities and the players, there is so much to learn from them. It’s amazing how I can go from being a fan to being a part of the W-League.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/perieas-and-sakalis-melbourne-citys-wunderkinds-480243

• 4 months later...