Melbourne Football

The nux vs The mighty City Sat 18th Feb 5:35

kingofhearts

Really should have been down 2-0 up to the pen... Bouzanis would have let the nux's 1st chance in at the near post. 

The boys must have packed this lil fella ...

IMG_2938.GIF.4eb32f1857665f590ef85e321c0fb0bd.GIF

Fitzy MOM ... and Caceras was great. These two change the whole dynamic of our attacks. Good also to see Killer push forward a bit. Malik and Brattan a concern.

• Like 1

Perhaps the best thing about the result is that as the game went on and the goals went in we started to get some confidence back. Will bode well for Sydney next week which I think we are well within a shot as I have a feeling we are a bit of a bogey side to them 

• Like 1

As entertainment, not a patch on last week, but you can't argue with the result.  Malik's a bloody liability and Brattan is a waste of a starting place. We're horribly lightweight in central defence particularly with Jakobsen out.  But I fancy we have a chance against Sydney.  They are not that good, especially against us, and losing may have burst their bubble.

• Like 2

In an alternate universe not too far away the result if this game was quite different. Whilst Melbourne City were still on their sight seeing tour of Wellington Phoenix scored from their first penalty (awarded for a foul outside the box as usual) and City stayed on the back foot for the rest of the game. There was no lucky deflection from a cut-back (to nobody) and no lucky deflection from Muscat's mis-kick to Bruno. Malik was red-carded in the second half for a nasty dangerous tackle.

It was good to see us win well on the road but we relied too much on luck at crucial moments of the game. Hopefully (although unlikely) we will have Jakobsen back next week

Positives;

Looked more compact without the aggressive forward press, It looked like we are now defending as a 4-1-4-1 and using a deeper midfield press

More cohesive and creative with Caceras as 10 instead of Cahill

Fitzgerald has won a starting spot in my first XI, he brings some directness along with Brandan

Went on with the game when we were dominating rather than our usual cruising

Scoored and didn't concede in the final 30 minutes and won a second half.

Good bench management by Valkanis, Cahill is much more useful as an impact player

Negatives:

Penetrated far too easily in the first 20 minutes when Phoenix played with intensity and more directly. We still struggle against fast direct ball movement

Whilst Brattan is essential to the way that we play his form is still poor

Still can't keep a clean sheet, Barbaroussas was allowed to run with the ball from the centre line and nutmegged 3 players to score

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

I missed the game live but watched the replay. We looked shocking the first 20 minutes, but Nix were pretty awful and we took advantage of it. Hopefully a good morale booster. Been awhile since a good win so I'll enjoy it despite lingering concerns for next week.

Edited by Kinnibari

7 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Does anyone know the story with what happend with Kamau for this game?

No, but it sums up Fox Sports' coverage that it wasn't even mentioned during the game (at least not that I heard).

God, those away games in NZ are painful. It's bad enough that they seem to have a designated Glory or United cheerleader in the commentary box every time we play in Perth or Adelaide, but when the state of the commentary during a game makes you wish for the 'quality' of Brenton Speed, it's a bit of a worry.

30 minutes ago, japiedog said:

i caught parts of the game on Radio, as I was out and about

those Kiwi commentators are  choice bro

it's a bit like listing to the old days of VFL , when Geelong played at home and 3GL provided the commentary.

Hey there was nothing wrong with the great EJ Whitten's commentary!!!

4 hours ago, SF33 said:

No, but it sums up Fox Sports' coverage that it wasn't even mentioned during the game (at least not that I heard).

God, those away games in NZ are painful. It's bad enough that they seem to have a designated Glory or United cheerleader in the commentary box every time we play in Perth or Adelaide, but when the state of the commentary during a game makes you wish for the 'quality' of Brenton Speed, it's a bit of a worry.

FoxSports Shootout spent the entire discussion of the game talking about Nix. Didn't mention us, still next week they'll make up for us when we play Sydney. 

Second thoughts, they'll spend the whole segment talking about Sydney! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

FoxSports Shootout spent the entire discussion of the game talking about Nix. Didn't mention us, still next week they'll make up for us when we play Sydney. 

Second thoughts, they'll spend the whole segment talking about Sydney! 

On Saturday I was watching the afl game,  it was about 5.05 so flicked over thinking I'd get some sort of preview.  Nope talking about Sydney derby.  Flicked back at 5.20 and still derby preview

Then after game about 2 minutes of review of us,  followed by another 20 minutes of Sydney talk. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

and this is what the nux bring to the comp ... nothing

Probably should go into one of the "A-League" threads, but I see this as a potential problem with expansion. If we start culling the weaker clubs from the current 10 we're going to drop back to say 8, producing a pretty repetitive and boring competition by the time we get towards the end of the season, so where is sustainable expansion to come from? IMO unless we focus on the major cities we're going to see the addition of weak clubs that will contribute no more than Wellington does now.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Probably should go into one of the "A-League" threads, but I see this as a potential problem with expansion. If we start culling the weaker clubs from the current 10 we're going to drop back to say 8, producing a pretty repetitive and boring competition by the time we get towards the end of the season, so where is sustainable expansion to come from? IMO unless we focus on the major cities we're going to see the addition of weak clubs that will contribute no more than Wellington does now.

Well for one, expansion in Australia would actually benefit Australian football and not a foreign nation who  is supposeldy a sporting rival