Melbourne Football

The nux vs The mighty City Sat 18th Feb 5:35

kingofhearts

Some may say there's nux to no chance, but it's a strange one; we have so many coming back from a week off that you'd think they would be hungry for success - thereby a run towards the toilet seat is quite possible (if only my waist line was that slim 😉). After all most teams at this stage of the season start to gear their training towards tactics and how they line up against final opponents so our 7 suspended last week might prove a God send since those guys come back fully fit and eager, while those who played last week are keen to keep their place - all will battle to be the best (making each other better).

Then again, we are still inconsistent.

As are Wellington.  They've really struggled since the new year, only winning twice - both at home and once against CCM and once the tards (the rescheduled one during mid week).

So honestly who knows who's gonna turn up

• Like 1

This match is the same as all the remaining ones this season. We have to win as many as we can and drop as few points as we can as we have several teams within striking distance of us. Anything outside a top four finish makes it very difficult for us, and should be regarded as a failure anyway.

• Like 4

With Perth and Brisbane playing each other this becomes a must win game

Team I'd play

Sorenson

Franjic.        Tongyik.      Jakobsen.     Colazo 

Brattan.      Kilkenny 

Caceras

Kamau.                Fornaroli.               Fitzgerald 

Sozer Malik Cahill Brandan Genreau 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, neio said:

With Perth and Brisbane playing each other this becomes a must win game

Team I'd play

Sorenson

Franjic.        Tongyik.      Jakobsen.     Colazo 

Brattan.      Kilkenny 

Caceras

Kamau.                Fornaroli.               Fitzgerald 

Sozer Malik Cahill Brandan Genreau 

Both the best line-up and most likely imo. Surely Fitzy and Caceres deserve another start, in which case Colazo simply HAS to play LB, or at least LWB in a 3-4-3

Edited by bt50

1 hour ago, R410 said:

Both Kamau and Fitzy played well but IMO Brandan has to start, and its either one of those or Caceras who has to miss out.

Spot on.

Brandan must start. Where? Fitzy and Kamau both had probably their best games for us and dragging either would detrimental. Fornaroli is a given. So basically Fernando has to warm the pine and hope he gets enough minutes to impact to get his spot back. Kamau and Fitzy now have to back up to keep their spots. Same scenario for Caceras Cahill. Caceras to start. 

Top players fighting for gametime is a sign of a top club. 

I have got no idea what will happen but I know what should.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jovan said:

Spot on.

Brandan must start. Where? Fitzy and Kamau both had probably their best games for us and dragging either would detrimental. Fornaroli is a given. So basically Fernando has to warm the pine and hope he gets enough minutes to impact to get his spot back. Kamau and Fitzy now have to back up to keep their spots. Same scenario for Caceras Cahill. Caceras to start. 

Top players fighting for gametime is a sign of a top club. 

I have got no idea what will happen but I know what should.

Put Brandan central. Was great last time he was there against that draw with Sydney

51 minutes ago, Dylan said:

AM sorry

Thought so. 

I really think Caceras did enough to start. I agree with you Fernando central would be interesting especially how he played when in that position against Sydney and who could forget his goal.

But it gets back to the basic adage that you dont change a winning team. (Obviously we draw but you get my meaning). 

So for me the only player guaranteed a start is Fornaroli the rest are dependent on their last game and balance. 

So I would play Kamau, Fornaroli and Fitzy  as the front 3. Then Kilkenny and Brattan  (only just ahead of Genreau) as the deeper sitting mids and Caceras as the AM. 

Edited by Jovan

For mine the selection dilemmas will be: centre back (assuming Jacobsen is fit). Will Tongyik hold his spot over Muscat?

AM will Caceres hold his spot over Cahill or a Cahill/Fornaroli combination?

Wings: will One of Kamau or Fitzgerald make way for Brandan and if so which one? (Surely Colazo will move to left back).

12 hours ago, Shahanga said:

For mine the selection dilemmas will be: centre back (assuming Jacobsen is fit). Will Tongyik hold his spot over Muscat?

Wings: will One of Kamau or Fitzgerald make way for Brandan and if so which one? (Surely Colazo will move to left back).

You mean Malik? 

14 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I just hope Tongyik plays. Sure he has a little bit to learn but he gives me confidence in the backline as he always looks so solid and competent.

• Like 2

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Thomas SORENSEN (gk), 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3.Josh ROSE, 6.Osama MALIK, 8.Neil KILKENNY, 9.Nicolas COLAZO, 10.Anthony CACERES, 11.Bruce KAMAU, 12.Nick FITZGERALD, 17.Tim CAHILL, 18.Paulo RETRE, 21.Ruon TONGYIK, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Fernando BRANDAN, 34.Denis GENREAU, 36.Dylan PIERIAS, 40.Yaren SOZER (gk),

**two to be omitted**

Ins:  2.Manny MUSCAT (returns from suspension), 6.Osama MALIK (returns from suspension), 17.Tim CAHILL (returns from suspension), 23. Bruno FORNAROLI (returns from suspension), 26.Luke BRATTAN (returns from suspension), 27.Fernando BRANDAN (returns from suspension)

Outs: 14.Daniel ARZANI (omitted), 29.Braeydn CROWLEY (omitted), 35.Christian CAVALLO (omitted), 41.Yusuf AHMED (omitted)

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/team-news-cahill-and-fornaroli-among-six-inclusions-for-wellington-trip/9ep8ruyxov61utrzsoz3k570#zWfgFuXI2ARLovJU.99

1 hour ago, neio said:

Squad is in, no Franjic or jakobsen,  both listed at 1 week injury. 

So Malik partners Tongyik,  and either muscat plays or they stick with Pierias 

Or Colazo, Ruon, Killer and Pierias.

Caceras and Genrau can keep their spot with Brattan in Midfield.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

For me this seems the most balanced but whatever the starting lineup ends up we have an unbelievable squad the bench alone are all starters and the omissions are decent players. Why we are not entrenched in the top 2 beggars disbelief. 

Sorensen 

Pierias   Malik  Tongyik  Rose

Kilkenny 

Caceras   Brattan 

Kamau       Fornaroli      Fitzy

Sozer  Cahill Fernando Colazo Genreau 

Omitted : Retre  Muscat 

Positions of contention are:

Rose or Colazo 

Malik at CB. Other options are Muscat Rose or Kilkenny. 

Brattan starting ahead of Genreau or Fernando and even possibly Colazo.

Caceras or Cahill. 

Lastly  Pierias ahead of Retre. Not sure a 16 year should be relied on so soon.

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

For me this seems the most balanced but whatever the starting lineup ends up we have an unbelievable squad the bench alone are all starters and the omissions are decent players. Why we are not entrenched in the top 2 beggars disbelief. 

Sorensen 

Kilkenny 

Caceras   Brattan 

Rose or Colazo 

Caceras or Cahill. 

Which is precisely why the complaints around signing injury replacements are silly; we'd never get anyone decent enough in for those wages that would even look close to pushing people out of this squad.

It's a bloody good squad, its not overrated; most of our players would walk into any other team. Which draws you to one of two conclusions ; either the coaching staff arent up to it or the players dont care. For mine its pretty fucking obvious which one it is.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Which is precisely why the complaints around signing injury replacements are silly; we'd never get anyone decent enough in for those wages that would even look close to pushing people out of this squad.

It's a bloody good squad, its not overrated; most of our players would walk into any other team. Which draws you to one of two conclusions ; either the coaching staff arent up to it or the players dont care. For mine its pretty fucking obvious which one it is.

Agree agree fucking agree!!!

30 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Sorensen 

Kilkenny 

Caceras   Brattan 

Rose or Colazo 

Caceras or Cahill. 

Colazo over Brattan but apart from that spot on.

34 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Sorensen 

Pierias   Malik  Tongyik  Muscat 

Kilkenny 

Caceras   Brattan 

Omitted : Retre  

The biggest back hole you could find: Rose

Fixed ;)

Edited by [LIBBA]

4 hours ago, Jovan said:

Sorensen 

Kilkenny 

Caceras   Brattan 

Rose or Colazo 

Caceras or Cahill. 

I agree with your sentiment re Pierias, but he played well. If (seriously) he can get off school, I'd play him, 16 or not.

As to Colazo, the bloke sitting next to me said a couple of months ago "Colazo can't play in the middle". Taken a while, but now I agree. I'd play him at left back, as to me, the 35 year old Josh Rose is now just a fill in.

Malik to me is a holding midfielder only, wouldn't even have to stop to think whether I'd play Manny or him.

Also I seem to be the only one on this forum who thinks Brandan is the best winger at the club and one of the best players in the squad? I would bring him straight in.

Cahill. Without Durante will cause chaos if he started as striker, but that would require Bruno at #10 and City seem reluctant to do that, so I guess it's the bench, though his critics look at his general play and forget the match winning X factor. Personally wouldn't complain if he started.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I agree with your sentiment re Pierias, but he played well. If (seriously) he can get off school, I'd play him, 16 or not.

As to Colazo, the bloke sitting next to me said a couple of months ago "Colazo can't play in the middle". Taken a while, but now I agree. I'd play him at left back, as to me, the 35 year old Josh Rose is now just a fill in.

Malik to me is a holding midfielder only, wouldn't even have to stop to think whether I'd play Manny or him.

Also I seem to be the only one on this forum who thinks Brandan is the best winger at the club and one of the best players in the squad? I would bring him straight in.

Cahill. Without Durante will cause chaos if he started as striker, but that would require Bruno at #10 and City seem reluctant to do that, so I guess it's the bench, though his critics look at his general play and forget the match winning X factor. Personally wouldn't complain if he started.

Brandan is definitely our best winger and probably best in the League BUT Kamau and Fitzy played exceptionally well and if either don't start then potentially it could set them back mentally for weeks.

Malik v Muscat is a lesser of two evils thought and after his poor game against Tards I'd play Malik.

Rose did enough and has been reasonable enough to regain his spot and unless your going to lock Colazo at lb for the rest of the season then I'd keep Rose.

Starting Cahill means dropping Caceras and gets back to the last game and he deserves to start. Playing Bruno anywhere apart from #9 is a sackable plus bashable offence.

Lastly that bloke sitting next to you obviously has got no idea and listening to him must be really annoying. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bt50 said:

You may be correct about replacements for Gameiro and Kuzi, but if you are then the squad was seriously unbalanced right from the start. IMO it is still weak defensively. With Jakobsen injured (every second week) and Chapman gone we have only Tongyik as a CB. 

But I agree that the coaches should have done a lot better than they have. Why they have been so stupidly stubborn over the team set-up is completely beyond me.

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You may be correct about replacements for Gameiro and Kuzi, but if you are then the squad was seriously unbalanced right from the start. IMO it is still weak defensively. With Jakobsen injured (every second week) and Chapman gone we have only Tongyik as a CB. 

But I agree that the coaches should have done a lot better than they have. Why they have been so stupidly stubborn over the team set-up is completely beyond me.

Malik, Muscat and Rose all have played semi regular stints at CB in their A League careers and Kilkenny has proven capable this season as well. I agree another quality CB would make a big difference, but as i said last season, for me there's nothing wrong with the cattle comparatively, even in our defensive positions; its the system we have employed for the past three seasons that leaves us exposed at the back. Ive certainly been amazed that we never tried 3-5-2 this season given it seems obvious when looking at our squad. But then again, i;m not a manager or anything other than an armchair expert.

Edited by bt50