Melbourne Football

City Vs Roar, Sat 11/2 - 7.50pm - AAMI

neio

6 hours ago, fensaddler said:

On this showing, I'd be building our future around the best of these youngsters.  Bring in some talent and experience from outside, sure, but build on the talent and enthusiasm that's there already.  I'd rather watch that every week and finish mid-table than watch the bloodless dross we've too often had to put up with this season.

Oh LOVE this. You must be English i have been saying things like this for ages but it always falls on deaf ears. I like your style, by the way i have been a fan of Crystal palace since i was about seven. I was saying to friends at the game exactly what you said, i would not care if we lost games as long as we played like we cared and tried.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, playmaker said:

Out of likes.

This bullshit of not being able to be critical of the referees has to stop. They are a blight on our game there needs to be drastic change.

The game was a 2-0 win for us as both penalties were wrong decisions and their goal was offside. The only penalty was the one on Caceras.

And this crap of the media experts saying 'at least the ref was consistent' is just bullshit. They were both blatantly wrong decisions which does not make it ok. . Because of the wrong decisions we were 0-2 down instead of 1-0 up, and that is a massive discrepancy from what it should have been in accordance with the rules of the game.

I agree, we should be getting Asian league refs as they administer the rules so much better.

There was more in the penalty we were given than the one we conceded, albeit it was still pretty soft.  The one given against us was beyond soft, past laughable and into culpable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnno cpfc said:

Oh LOVE this. You must be English i have been saying things like this for ages but it always falls on deaf ears. I like your style, by the way i have been a fan of Crystal palace since i was about seven. I was saying to friends at the game exactly what you said, i would not care if we lost games as long as we played like we cared and tried.

Born and bred in Walsall johnno!  Most of my football has been following my home town club, and only came out here five years ago.  As I wrote in the fanzine, you don't follow a team like Walsall for the glory, but you do it for the young talent you see come through and succeed (current Premiership players that came through us include Scott Dann and Troy Deeney).

I do know where you are coming from as i said before somewhere in these forums, you and i along with many British football supporters only ever really supported one football team in their entire lives. So when things go wrong we tend to forgive and forget, we just keep turning up week after week and hope our team dose well every year. As you say we don't do it for the glory but when a genuine young talent comes along we like to see them play and succeed, we certainly saw some raw talent last night which augers well for the future of City.

You can't win with kids, but they sure did a good job last night, Genreau impressed me and Pierias made some crucial tackles, disappointed big Crowley only got 5 mins. Overall it was a good game (with poor refereeing), great to come back from being 2-0 down.

I liked Valkanis press conference as well, he could come allright.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

There was more in the penalty we were given than the one we conceded, albeit it was still pretty soft.  The one given against us was beyond soft, past laughable and into culpable.

There was more in the penalty that was ignored than in both the penalties that were given

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Seeing the boys get around after the game made me think that we can yet shake things up from here on. Maybe last week was the kick in the pants we needed and it might send a message to some established players that their positions are not as secure as they might think.

1486870750822.jpg

We shall see. At the end of the day, we only got a point out of the game, although the endeavour was first rate and we were genuinely desperately unlucky. But looking at our remaining games, there is an excellent chance of us doing a classic Heart/early-City "one step forward, three steps back" performance.

Just out of interest, our remaining games: Wellington (a), Sydney (h), Central Coast (a), Newcastle (h), Western Sydney (a), Sydney (a), Adelaide (h), Perth (a).

I'm sure that's what the players were discussing in their huddle after the game, that it was just one result and that that level of effort is now the benchmark. But let's see if they can do it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Very true.  Caceres was mugged.  Foxtel commentary called it as a clear penalty, and looked like it to me in real time at the ground too.

Borrello's pen was simulation of the type JA has accused us of :droy:. There was much more in the Fitzy pen with Ingham grabbing a handful of shirt and then an arm over the shoulder and it could have gone 50/50 depending on the ref - we got a break or 'evener' depending on how you see it. The Caceres pen was as blatant a pen you could get - full charge into his back.

13 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Borrello's pen was simulation of the type JA has accused us of :droy:. There was much more in the Fitzy pen with Ingham grabbing a handful of shirt and then an arm over the shoulder and it could have gone 50/50 depending on the ref - we got a break or 'evener' depending on how you see it. The Caceres pen was as blatant a pen you could get - full charge into his back.

I think Borrello genuinely just slipped up, he didn't even look at the ref until the whistle went and seemed shocked that it was called a penalty.

It's starting to shit me that the pundits are talking about two penalty howlers and they're showing Borrello's and Fitzgerald. There was a tug on Fitzgerald's shirt and a bump that caused him to lose his footing. Certainly pretty soft, but letter of the law, it was there. If a defender clearly grabs his opponent's shirt in the box, he's rolling the dice and he can't really have many complaints. No-one can honestly tell me they watched the entire game and think that Fitzgerald's penalty was a worse call than Caceres' non-penalty.

5 hours ago, belaguttman said:

What was the number.

We are a bigger franchise than Sydney, we have more season ticket holders

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

8,414 (although another source has 7,914).

I read 8414. Yes we do have more season ticket holders but we aren't 19 games undefeated and we had 7 players suspended and another 2 out injured. Considering this I'm pretty happy with the lot who turned out to see us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neio said:

Fuck me,  I didn't know Pierias is only 16 years old, he could seriously be good in a few years more of development 

The position he played in is perfect for a youth player in terms of learning and his ability to perform his role. Pierias hype

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony999 said:

To get 8414 with the appalling football we have been playing just proves we can get the crowd. Imagine if we were in Sydney FC's position!? We wouldn't need Samaras at all!

Just proves that 8.5k rusted on lemmings will turn up regardless. Even during the dark days under Aloisi we were getting decent crowds of between 5 and 6k.

Every season the base rusted on figure has grown mind you not as much as everyone hopes but nevertheless its grown. So I reackon within a decade or so we should be closer to 20k rusted on die hards.

9 hours ago, Jovan said:

Just proves that 8.5k rusted on lemmings will turn up regardless. Even during the dark days under Aloisi we were getting decent crowds of between 5 and 6k.

Every season the base rusted on figure has grown mind you not as much as everyone hopes but nevertheless its grown. So I reackon within a decade or so we should be closer to 20k rusted on die hards.

Proves what I always said.

Neil Young was right about everything.

"Rust Never Sleeps"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jovan said:

Can't wait for those days and when footballer is the number 1 sport.