Melbourne Football

City Vs Roar, Sat 11/2 - 7.50pm - AAMI

neio

5 hours ago, recyclosaurusrex said:

The club should make this a bring a friend for free game or kids go free. Anything to keep interest/crowds at a decent level. I can't see many people turning up to this with a depleted lineup.

Perversely, because there really is nothing to lose, I feel more positive about this than I might with fewer suspensions.  We'll have a go, we'll probably lose, but I sense I'll walk away thinking we genuinely tried.  Feels like going to a cup tie against a team two divisions higher.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

That's fine too. My main point is that we need to flood the defence and break quickly. We still didn't get enough players back against Victory, and we weren't desperate enough - see Malik at the second goal, doesn't do enough to try and cut out the final cross.

Yes, this is something like a non-league club in a cup-tie. We won't be favoured to win, so get out there, show some bottle and make the fans proud of you whatever the result. Wish I was going to be there...

Bugger me JW. I hadn't even read your comment when I wrote mine above.  Great minds...

18 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO we just have to throw numbers into defence. My English non-league team had an away match in the FA Trophy over the weekend and earned a home replay by playing 5 at the back in the closing stages.

GK: Sorensen;
Defenders: Retre, Franjic, Tongyik, Colazo;
MF: Kilkenny, Arzani, Caceres;
Front: Kamau, Crowley, Fitzy.

Game plan should be just to choke them with numbers at the back, and then break quickly on the counter.

There are alternatives to the above that involve Rose.

I like this, lets play them the way the Bambi plays us "anti" style. Full bus parked in the box with Fitzy and Kamau getting ready for the counter, not sure Bruce can score but Fitzy has shown he can.

Edited by HeartOfCity

While our team is weakened it's not completely terrible

Kilkenny and Franjic are top 5 in the league in their position 

Sorenson has undoubted experience 

Caceras,  kamau,  Fitzgerald, Tongyik have all shown they are very capable at the level

Retre is a squad player who isn't useless

All the young guys are mostly unproven 

It's not terrible,  hopefully we can get some form of result 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, neio said:

While our team is weakened it's not completely terrible

Kilkenny and Franjic are top 5 in the league in their position 

Sorenson has undoubted experience 

Caceras,  kamau,  Fitzgerald, Tongyik have all shown they are very capable at the level

Retre is a squad player who isn't useless

All the young guys are mostly unproven 

It's not terrible,  hopefully we can get some form of result 

Not to mention we'll have a marquee playing. Time to shine Nico and prove your value.

According to Dave Davutovic the FFA has rung City to say that Beath made an error and that Cahill should have been shown a yellow card rather than a red but that there is no rule that allows it to be reversed! If this is true then he should have been allowed on the pitch in the derby and also should have been available for this game

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

According to Dave Davutovic the FFA has rung City to say that Beath made an error and that Cahill should have been shown a yellow card rather than a red but that there is no rule that allows it to be reversed! If this is true then he should have been allowed on the pitch in the derby and also should have been available for this game

Do you have a link to this?

7 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Get ready for all FFA City slurs. If Cahill's card gets rescinded just add another point bambi will draw attention to.

Be great if he can play and score a couple. 

It's the same rule its always been with a red card. If the ref issues a yellow for an incident, its deemed to have been dealt with and can't be taken up by the MRP. Likwise, if a red card is issued to something that is a yellow card offence but an offence still occured, again it is deemed to have been dealt with and can't be rescinded.

Exactly the same as the O'Donovan one a couple weeks ago.

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Get ready for all FFA City slurs. If Cahill's card gets rescinded just add another point bambi will draw attention to.

Be great if he can play and score a couple. 

It won't.

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Does that also apply to the 1 game ban because it was a straight red even though they are now saying it should have been a yellow. 

Yep. Red card = mandatory one game ban. It can only be rescinded if its clear there was no offence took place ie. Berisha example.

Tim's offence did take place, and even though it may have been harsh to issue a red, he is still guilty of the offence.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Yep. Red card = mandatory one game ban. It can only be rescinded if its clear there was no offence took place ie. Berisha example.

Tim's offence did take place, and even though it may have been harsh to issue a red, he is still guilty of the offence.

Cheers.

Beath is an incredibly average referee (although who isn't this season) and whilst I completely agree with what Cahill said in this instance, abusing a ref is a red and he deserves his ban. 

I'm excited to see us try something different, maybe even try Colazo up front since he's been average everywhere else idk

20 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Perversely, because there really is nothing to lose, I feel more positive about this than I might with fewer suspensions.  We'll have a go, we'll probably lose, but I sense I'll walk away thinking we genuinely tried.  

Yep, it's going to be the first game I get to since the cup final (the slump could be my fault) and I can get behind a ragtag bunch that genuinely has a crack. That's all I'm asking for, considering how decimated the squad will be. 

On 2/6/2017 at 2:35 PM, jw1739 said:

That's fine too. My main point is that we need to flood the defence and break quickly. We still didn't get enough players back against Victory, and we weren't desperate enough - see Malik at the second goal, doesn't do enough to try and cut out the final cross.

Yes, this is something like a non-league club in a cup-tie. We won't be favoured to win, so get out there, show some bottle and make the fans proud of you whatever the result. Wish I was going to be there...

How many times have us old Pom's seen this in the FA Cup, big team against lower league side and the lower league side either holds them to a draw or wins it with a lot of arse or park the bus and stand firm.

On 06/02/2017 at 0:20 PM, neio said:

Sorenson

Franjic.       Tongyik.     ________    Rose

Kilkenny.       Retre

Caceras

Kamau.         _________           Colazo 

My line up:

Sorrnsen

Franjic Tongyik @japiedog Rose

Retre.      Kilkenny    

Caceres

Kamau.   Colazo.   Fitzgerald 

bench:

Arzani, anyone from active who looks sober. 

• Like 5

Shanghai Shenhua: Jamie Young, Jack Hingert, Luke DeVere, Jade North, Corey Brown, Thomas Kristensen, Matt McKay, Dimitri Petratos, Brandon Borrello, Jamie Maclaren, Thomas Broich, Tommy Oar, Daniel Bowles, Nick DAgostino, Shannon Brady, Joe Caletti, Connor OToole

This is the squad Brisbane is taking to China,  so no Theo,  Holman,  Arana or Pepper is the only fit senior squad players that arnt going

So they could be either pretty tired or playing a weaker squad against us 

3 hours ago, neio said:

Shanghai Shenhua: Jamie Young, Jack Hingert, Luke DeVere, Jade North, Corey Brown, Thomas Kristensen, Matt McKay, Dimitri Petratos, Brandon Borrello, Jamie Maclaren, Thomas Broich, Tommy Oar, Daniel Bowles, Nick DAgostino, Shannon Brady, Joe Caletti, Connor OToole

This is the squad Brisbane is taking to China,  so no Theo,  Holman,  Arana or Pepper is the only fit senior squad players that arnt going

So they could be either pretty tired or playing a weaker squad against us 

Petratos has left for the K League. 

They will definitely have a weakened side and very fatigued. They will be lucky if they can make it to Melbourne by late Thursday or Early Friday so to backup Saturday night will be tricky.

1 hour ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Kilkenny and Tongyik should play CB

There is merit to this.

Tongyik is a talented kid but he looks out of sorts at times. Kilkenny's marshalling is second to none and he'd be an effective leader of the backline.

We'd miss his defensive ability a little further up the pitch. He seldom loses the ball as a number six, and replacing his skills there would be difficult. 

11 hours ago, R410 said:

Everyone is putting up decent team lists and what we should go with, but lets be honest its going to be something dumb like Rose playing CB

That's not that dumb. Rose played his last season at CCM there. Would st least provide experience next to Tongyik, instead of s youth kid.  Can't imagine a clean sheet though with those 2 in the middle & we'd still have to find a left back.

if we player Killer there who fills the gap at #6? Lose midfield and we get smashed.

33 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Must be some sort of record, surely? We have 7 players suspended for this match!

Yes they did well didn't they? They should all be very proud of their professionalism.

My predicted XI:

-----------------Sorenson----------------

Franjic---Jakobson---Tonyik---Rose

------------------Kilkenny-----------------

---------Caceras------Arzani------------

Kamau-------Crowley??-------Colazo

Bench: Sozer, Fitzy, Retre, Grenau, Cavallo, 

With Arzani and Colazo to maybe switch. I have no idea who the striker will be (maybe Colazo or even Arzani too)

Edited by haz