Melbourne Football

City Vs Roar, Sat 11/2 - 7.50pm - AAMI

neio

1.Thomas SORENSEN (gk), 3.Josh ROSE, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 8.Neil KILKENNY, 9.Nicolas COLAZO, 10.Anthony CACERES, 11.Bruce KAMAU, 12.Nick FITZGERALD, 14.Daniel ARZANI, 18.Paulo RETRE, 21.Ruon TONGYIK, 22.Michael JAKOBSEN, 29.Braeydn CROWLEY, 34.Denis GENREAU, 35.Christian CAVALLO, 36.Dylan PIERIAS, 40.Yaren SOZER (gk), 41.Yusuf AHMED **two to be omitted**

Ins: 3.Josh ROSE (promoted), 12.Nick FITZGERALD (promoted), 14.Daniel ARZANI (promoted), 29.Braeydn CROWLEY (promoted), 34.Denis GENREAU (promoted), 35.Christian CAVALLO (promoted), 36.Dylan PIERIAS (promoted), 40.Yaren SOZER (promoted), 41.Yusuf AHMED (promoted)

Outs: 2.Manny MUSCAT (suspended – 1 week), 6.Osama MALIK (suspended – 1 week), 17.Tim Cahill (suspended – 1 week), 20.Dean BOUZANIS (suspended – 5 weeks), 23. Bruno FORNAROLI (suspended – 1 week), 26.Luke BRATTAN (suspended – 1 week), 27.Fernando BRANDAN (suspended – 1 week) - 

18 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Must be some sort of record, surely? We have 7 players suspended for this match!

To me this again a demonstration of bad management. When you have players getting close to the maximum number of yellows you manage it. Don't expose some to playing time, get others to attract a yellow etc.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

To me this again a demonstration of bad management. When you have players getting close to the maximum number of yellows you manage it. Don't expose some to playing time, get others to attract a yellow etc.

Good example is Cahill. Should have kept his mouth shut, could have come on and replaced Bruno, thus avoiding the latter's yellow in the final minute of the match. Instead both are now missing.

You're absolutely right. Bad management.

50 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

Yeah but it was a derby. You're not going to hold them back for that.

Post-match Members' Function is on after the Brisbane match.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/come-along-to-our-post-match-members-function/5kmhrrgo6ykr11sniv8k89xj1

Melbourne City FC will be holding its Post-match Members Function after our clash with Brisbane Roar at AAMI Park on Saturday 11 February.

The function will give our 2016/17 members the chance to rub shoulders with all of the 2016/17 A-League squad as well as sign autographs and take pictures with their Melbourne City heroes.

This year’s function will be held in the northern internal concourse (not Edwin’s Café) and will require all members to exit the stadium and proceed to the entrance between ticket sale window F and Edwin’s Café on Olympic Boulevard (which will be clearly marked). Please note that all members must exit the stadium before heading to the function and must present their valid 2016/17 Melbourne City membership.

The event will start at 10pm and conclude at 11pm with bar and food outlets open in the northern concourse.

6 hours ago, neio said:

Huge game for colazo,  with hingert going down last night, he will probably be up against either a reserve right back or a youth right back

Stand up and show your marquee standard Nico 

I'm with you on this, could be his defining game of the season, especially if he starts up front. 

Come on Nico old son, show us some Bocas class.

31 minutes ago, n i k o said:

If Kilkenny didn't play for us he'd be one of my most disliked players in the league

Ha ha, typical robotic DM.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

I'm with you on this, could be his defining game of the season, especially if he starts up front. 

Come on Nico old son, show us some Bocas class.

Would love for him to play AMF and curl a couple in from outside the box.

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Whatever way I try and look at this game I keep coming back to the same conclusion. We are going to get pumped.

What is our worst ever loss. I can recall a few 5 goal smashings.

Surely Valkanis won't play the high press high possession system. If he does it will end badly.

He can't be that stupid, can he?

20 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

In principle I'd certainly say for sure. In our situation I think they (management and player in question ) couldn't have done anything different.

Cahill is a no brainer.  He is totally at fault and as a senior pro and what stage the game was at should have just kept his mouth shut.

Bouzanis same as Cahill although he was provoked but even still should have kept his mouth shut.

Fornaroli has been playing on 4 yellows since round 11. So he has done super well to get hacked continually and avoided picking up his 5th yellow for 7 games. Should he have been shielded by the coach and taken off. It's a Derby.

Muscat's last yellow was r12 6 games

Brandan r9, although he got a red and missed a few afterwards for some unknown reason. (Maybe his yellow situation )

Brattan r15 and Malik r17.

So really what could have been done. 

6 minutes ago, Jovan said:

In principle I'd certainly say for sure. In our situation I think they (management and player in question ) couldn't have done anything different.

Cahill is a no brainer.  He is totally at fault and as a senior pro and what stage the game was at should have just kept his mouth shut.

Bouzanis same as Cahill although he was provoked but even still should have kept his mouth shut.

Fornaroli has been playing on 4 yellows since round 11. So he has done super well to get hacked continually and avoided picking up his 5th yellow for 7 games. Should he have been shielded by the coach and taken off. It's a Derby.

Muscat's last yellow was r12 6 games

Brandan r9, although he got a red and missed a few afterwards for some unknown reason. (Maybe his yellow situation )

Brattan r15 and Malik r17.

So really what could have been done. 

I guess when you look at each aspect of this season so far in isolation it's difficult to answer "what could have been done?" It's when you look at the season as a whole with our squad and our off-field resources that that our frustration shows - Sydney unbeaten in the league with 47 points and us on 26 points etc. etc. etc. You look at the repetitive choking. You look at the fact that we haven't replaced any of Gameiro, Kuzi and Chapman, you look at us going into our next match with 7 players suspended, and IMO it's understandable that you start to ask questions about our management.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harrison said:

I counted eight, which is a good effort in less than a minute.

Re the match, I have some hope that the inclusion of some younger, fresher players will add a new dynamic. I hope Arzani starts, I'd love to see what he is capable of. Same with Genreau.

Be interesting with the youngsters but if more than 2 are on at the same time we could get smashed. Id put Tongyik as 1 of those. So it's good to see what there capable of but wether we can win I have my doubts.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

I guess when you look at each aspect of this season so far in isolation it's difficult to answer "what could have been done?" It's when you look at the season as a whole with our squad and our off-field resources that that our frustration shows - Sydney unbeaten in the league with 47 points and us on 26 points etc. etc. etc. You look at the repetitive choking. You look at the fact that we haven't replaced any of Gameiro, Kuzi and Chapman, you look at us going into our next match with 7 players suspended, and IMO it's understandable that you start to ask questions about our management.

I'm with you @jw1739 there are alot of things that could have been done or not done and hindsight can cloud the discussion.  I genuinely believe all the decisions that have been made have been in attempt to get the best possible result and with all the information available at the time. Sometimes things just don't work out as planned.

Our problem is that we haven't had all things work for the good ever. I have resigned myself for next season. The only positive is this feeling normally comes around in December. 

• Like 1

No expectation, no pressure, and we get to see some of the kids. TBH i havent seen much of the NYL guys, so i'm looking forward to it.

Realistically I think we'll be under the pump for the majority, so I'd play 1 up front for 60 - 70 mins and then reassess at that time depending on the score/game. Play Fitzy up front on his own, he'll run and chase long balls all day and should occasionally cause a bit of panic with his pressure and speed. Sit Caceres behind him as AM. When the time comes, sub Fitzy, Caceres, or Kamau for Arzani and let him run at tired defenders. 

Edited by LB
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, LB said:

No expectation, no pressure, and we get to see some of the kids. TBH i havent seen much of the NYL guys, so i'm looking forward to it.

Realistically I think we'll be under the pump for the majority, so I'd play 1 up front for 60 - 70 mins and then reassess at that time depending on the score/game. Play Fitzy up front on his own, he'll run and chase long balls all day and should occasionally cause a bit of panic with his pressure and speed. Sit Caceres behind him as AM. When the time comes, sub Fitzy, Caceres, or Kamau for Arzani and let him run at tired defenders. 

If you think about it really, we are't going to be that terribly undermanned when it comes to the starting 11. 

Franjic Jacobsen Tongik Rose

Caseras         Killkenny 

Colazo

Kamau    Arzani    Fitzy

or even...

Franjic Jacobsen Tongik Rose

Retre        Killkenny 

Caseras         

Kamau    Arzani    Colazo 

Majority will be senior footballers anyway

Edited by [LIBBA]

1 minute ago, belaguttman said:

We struggle to score more than 2 goals with Fornaroli and Cahill, it can't be much worse without them

If we can play a little more counter attacking based football, we have the pace up front to really trouble Brisbane.

Plus i think you might see the best of Kamau this week if we go down that path 

I still think we're cooked.

We need Fitzy Kamau and Flopazo to play at a level that none have done so far this season  (exception Kamau who has been pretty good tbf but he still needs to lift.

Caceras Retre and Kilkenny must win the middle (for 95mins)

and Jakobsen must get through and Rose abd Tongyik and Franjic have to avoid critical errors. Then Sorensen has to come in and perform at a level that he hasn't played for 3 months. 

Then if they can all do that the youngsters need to have an influence in the last 20 or so.

So without being too negative we are well and truly fucked and our only hope is Brisbane get stuck in customs.