Melbourne Football

Season over - start planning for 2017-18 now

jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Tonight's derby will determine whether we have a realistic chance of making second, and next week against Brisbane will give an indication of where we might finish in the rest of the table.

The cards have been dealt. Until we get something completely different we are going to sit around 33% win ratio. So thats 9 wins we might get to 11 but nothing more. So at this point I can't change my prediction that we'll finish 3 or 4th and lose in a Derby semi.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

The cards have been dealt. Until we get something completely different we are going to sit around 33% win ratio. So thats 9 wins we might get to 11 but nothing more. So at this point I can't change my prediction that we'll finish 3 or 4th and lose in a Derby semi.

In fact, after the first two matches, the past 15 have seen us go 5-5-5...right on the 33%. Blatantly not good enough for the squad we have at our disposal.

Just now, jw1739 said:

In fact, after the first two matches, the past 15 have seen us go 5-5-5...right on the 33%. Blatantly not good enough for the squad we have at our disposal.

Like so much else the 33% is well entrenched and it will take sweeping changes to improve. 

Pretty confident we will only get another 2 or 3 wins out the next 9.

Unbelievable that after every shit city performance people whine "it was heart like effort"

it time to accept that city has built up enough below ordinary games to have that title to them selves. 

Im not even going to bring the squad differences from then to now. 

In my opinion city fc sets low team performance standards and continuously fails to achieve them 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jestr said:

Unbelievable that after every shit city performance people whine "it was heart like effort"

it time to accept that city has built up enough below ordinary games to have that title to them selves. 

In my opinion city fc sets low team performance standards and continuously fails to achieve them

Im not sure they set low performance standards but i do think that they dont change the squad enough to keep everyone on there toes. Brattan should have been dropped by now for example but he just strolls into midfield each week. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jestr said:

It's pretty well-known in any management situation that to achieve what you really want to achieve you have to set what was at one stage called "a stretch target" - don't know what the modern jargon is. As soon as you fail to set a stretch target you will under-perform.

19 hours ago, Jestr said:

The difference is that Heart often exceeded (admittedly lower) expectations.  City set high expectations and then underperform woefully.  Failed at the sharp end last season, have failed ever since the cup win this season.  Either way it's crap, but on balance I'd rather see sixth as an achievement for a small club than an abject capitulation from one that's all mouth and trousers.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Jestr said:

It shouldn't be known as a heart or a city performance. It should be known as the JVS legacy.

Although mathematically we can still finish 1 or 2 (there's still 9 games to play and 27 points up for grabs), it seems unlikely that we will catch the tards (9 point deficit) and almost impossible that we will catch Sydney (18 point deficit) before the end of the home and away season.  

But there is still plenty to play for this season.

For instance, there is the opportunity to knock of the self proclaimed 'invincible' Sydney in week 21 ... now that would be sweet victory.

And there is the finals.  

Against the tards, I sensed the team improved on some of the fundamentals that have been killing our game of recent and in attack we went part way towards getting our mojo back.  By building on the injustice of the loss to the tards, and with the pressure seemingly off in terms of finishing 1 or 2, the boys may now start to play with the freedom needed to go on a serious run towards the back end of the season.  If we can go into the finals fearless, with nothing to lose and in form (like the women have done), no team will want to face us.

The game against Brisbane will be fascinating because it really is a backs against the wall scenario.  And, it is also against Bambi, and we all know how well he goes when expected to win.

Right now we are like a wounded animal, but we still have our teeth and I sense we are ready to fight ... 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Although mathematically we can still finish 1 or 2 (there's still 9 games to play and 27 points up for grabs), it seems unlikely that we will catch the tards (9 point deficit) and almost impossible that we will catch Sydney (18 point deficit) before the end of the home and away season.  

For instance, there is the opportunity to knock of the self proclaimed 'invincible' Sydney in week 21 ... now that would be sweet victory.

And there is the finals.  

Against the tards, I sensed the team improved on some of the fundamentals that have been killing our game of recent and in attack we went part way towards getting our mojo back.  By building on the injustice of the loss to the tards, and with the pressure seemingly off in terms of finishing 1 or 2, the boys may now start to play with the freedom needed to go on a serious run towards the back end of the season.  If we can go into the finals fearless, with nothing to lose and in form (like the women have done), no team will want to face us.

The game against Brisbane will be fascinating because it really is a backs against the wall scenario.  And, it is also against Bambi, and we all know how well he goes when expected to win.

Right now we are like a wounded animal, but we still have our teeth and I sense we are ready to fight ... 

Really agree with you here. For some weird reason, i have a feeling we're going to be all over the toilet seat. Perhaps the weekend calamity might be what was needed to snap everyone back into a winning team. 

1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

And there is the finals.  

Saves me writing it again so I've copied and pasted it from another thread:

Our season is truly over. We have no chance of getting top 2. So ACL opportunity is gone. We've proven we can't win enough games in a row let alone even one game on the road which is what we will have to do to win the championship. ACL gone again. Finals gone. Seasons gone. 

14 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Saves me writing it again so I've copied and pasted it from another thread:

Our season is truly over. We have no chance of getting top 2. So ACL opportunity is gone. We've proven we can't win enough games in a row let alone even one game on the road which is what we will have to do to win the championship. ACL gone again. Finals gone. Seasons gone. 

Well tbf, we can still get the ACL half spot by finishing third and hoping MV and Sydney make the final, or alternatively making the GF. We can get a full spot if we win the GF.

It looks a serious uphill battle, but I definitely dont think its an impossible task. Perhaps the enforced 'rest' and back to the wall job might force a change in the way we go about the rest of the season.

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Well tbf, we can still get the ACL half spot by finishing third and hoping MV and Sydney make the final, or alternatively making the GF. We can get a full spot if we win the GF.

It looks a serious uphill battle, but I definitely dont think its an impossible task. Perhaps the enforced 'rest' and back to the wall job might force a change in the way we go about the rest of the season.

Yes, that's how Brisbane are in it this year. 3rd must be the primary objective now. We've got to dig deep and demonstrate to the fans that we are prepared to do that. 

51 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, that's how Brisbane are in it this year. 3rd must be the primary objective now. We've got to dig deep and demonstrate to the fans that we are prepared to do that. 

Yes, we'd have to start by beating Roar this week, a 6 pointer but with a depleted side. We have 5 more away games including Perth and Wanderers where we traditionally are poor and Nix where we are usually but not always poor. We play Sydney at home. Mathematically possible but we aren't talking about our womens team. I think that we'll be lucky if we finish 6th

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rass said:

Really agree with you here. For some weird reason, i have a feeling we're going to be all over the toilet seat. Perhaps the weekend calamity might be what was needed to snap everyone back into a winning team. 

This is what delusion feels like 

24 minutes ago, Chris p said:

This is what delusion feels like 

Just a feeling..

But you really think that we are so much worse than any other team with a chance? 

Hang onto third and we can have a Melbourne semi v Victory... and you really think they're miles ahead of us?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rass said:

Just a feeling..

But you really think that we are so much worse than any other team with a chance? 

Hang onto third and we can have a Melbourne semi v Victory... and you really think they're miles ahead of us?

As a team. Yes.

They seem very united, which is massive.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rass said:

Going on the celebration, we looked pretty united too when we took the lead on Saturday night. 

As in, everyone is on the same page and working well as one, and towing the line and invested in the game plan as opposed to fractured and unsure and fragmented on the pitch.

Manager leadership has a lot to do with it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Only Adelaide and CCM have garnered fewer league points than us since 1st December.

Sydney:     30
Victory:      29
Perth:        20
Brisbane:  17
WSW:       16
Newcastle:16
Phoenix:    15
City:          14
CCM:         11
Adelaide:   11

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Only Adelaide and CCM have garnered fewer league points than us since 1st December.

Sydney:     30
Victory:      29
Perth:        20
Brisbane:  17
WSW:       16
Newcastle:16
Phoenix:    15
City:          14
CCM:         11
Adelaide:   11

No wonder we are all feeling so despondent. 

14 hours ago, fensaddler said:

No wonder we are all feeling so despondent. 

I just wonder whether anyone at the club even looks at this sort of thing? I've concluded that no-one does, because if they did they wouldn't come out with the coachbabble that we hear time and time again. Valkanis is now quoted as saying (after Sydney match): "There's a lot to learn from this game." Well FMD.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I just wonder whether anyone at the club even looks at this sort of thing? I've concluded that no-one does, because if they did they wouldn't come out with the coachbabble that we hear time and time again. Valkanis is now quoted as saying (after Sydney match): "There's a lot to learn from this game." Well FMD.

This is just as stupid as JVS's "it's a work in progress" ie we have failed - again.

When will we get a coach who can actually say I got it all wrong and who will take responsibility.

4 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

This is just as stupid as JVS's "it's a work in progress" ie we have failed - again.

When will we get a coach who can actually say I got it all wrong and who will take responsibility.

Honestly would take Avram Grant, the Israelites don't take any shit.

On reflection I'm shocked how quickly our season went to hell in a hand basket.  Coming to the cup final we were going along pretty well, in touch with a high performing Sydney and looking a real threat for the Plate (the genuine No 1 title in my view).  We win the cup , then that's it, complete crap.  I think the ludicrous manner of the then manager didn't help - our season on the line and he comes out with "we are in a good place", when, actually, one more loss and its season over.  

So next year a manager who's a winner thanks and get him another starting quality centre back.  Do that and we are contenders.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

On reflection I'm shocked how quickly our season went to hell in a hand basket.  Coming to the cup final we were going all pretty well, in touch with a high performing Sydney and looking a real threat for the Plate (the genuine No 1 title in my view).  We win the cup , then that's it, complete crap.  I think the ludicrous manner of the then manager didn't help - our season on the line and he comes out with "we are in a good place", when, actually, one more lose and its season over.  

So next year a manager who's a winner thanks and get him another starting quality centre back.  Do that and we are contenders.

If they were smart they would bring someone in to clean out the rot, bring in the coach they have planned for the next few years immediately  to lead the troops for the remainder of this season so he knows who to keep and who to get rid of, and to start scouting the key players he needs for his system of play.

Anything other than this and we will just be in a compromised position at the start of next season.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, playmaker said:

If they were smart they would bring someone in to clean out the rot, bring in the coach they have planned for the next few years immediately  to lead the troops for the remainder of this season so he knows who to keep and who to get rid of, and to start scouting the key players he needs for his system of play.

Anything other than this and we will just be in a compromised position at the start of next season.

A forlorn hope based on the assumption that CFG had been planning for a new coach. And there is little to base that assumption on. Apologies for being negative.

11 hours ago, Shahanga said:

On reflection I'm shocked how quickly our season went to hell in a hand basket.  Coming to the cup final we were going along pretty well, in touch with a high performing Sydney and looking a real threat for the Plate (the genuine No 1 title in my view).  We win the cup , then that's it, complete crap.  I think the ludicrous manner of the then manager didn't help - our season on the line and he comes out with "we are in a good place", when, actually, one more loss and its season over.  

FFA Cup curse