Melbourne Football

Season over - start planning for 2017-18 now

jw1739

On 28/02/2017 at 7:02 AM, Dylan said:

FFA Cup curse

After winning it in 2014 Adelaide came third that season after coming sixth the season before. And then the next season they came first.

City are currently fourth after having come fourth last season. There was talk at the start of the season by some that we would start the season brightly until other teams figured us out.

Also we played at AAMI park for the quarter final, semi final and final. When does a team ever get that? Three home games to finish a cup.

21 minutes ago, Alexxxandro said:

After winning it in 2014 Adelaide came third that season after coming sixth the season before. And then the next season they came first.

City are currently fourth after having come fourth last season. There was talk at the start of the season by some that we would start the season brightly until other teams figured us out.

Also we played at AAMI park for the quarter final, semi final and final. When does a team ever get that? Three home games to finish a cup.

The semi was a Victory home match. It would have been madness on the part of FFA to have played it anywhere other than AAMI Park. As for the final - well, Sydney had barely been out of Sydney for their whole campaign, whereas we had been to Brisbane and Perth.

I don't have any problems with our FFA Cup win. We won it fairly and squarely, and played bloody good football to do so against some tough opponents all the way through. Credit where credit is due.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I know this season ended off badly. We should have ended up 3rd and made asia and could have gone all the way if we signed a good coach after JVS was sacked.

But 2 achievements we had was winning the FFA cup and being one of the two teams to beat sydney.........and also smashing victards 4-1.

Even though we all argue with eachother occasionally. It shows we all have a "Heart" for this club and want the best out of it.

Its time to concentrate on the preseason and be ready for hopefully a great next season and getting a great coach and players.

Up the city boys

Sack Valkanis 

Love u fellas

Edited by xXCiTyZeNXx
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Your posting record aside - Highlighting a derby win as a plus for the season is pathetic and everything that's wrong with this club and our fans. 

I didnt attend to cause more harm than good from my post. I know the second half of the season was shocking and it was shit. But at least we won something mate. City hasnt won anything since the club started.

I apologize if i offended u by writing the post mate

1 hour ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

I didnt attend to cause more harm than good from my post. I know the second half of the season was shocking and it was shit. But at least we won something mate. City hasnt won anything since the club started.

I apologize if i offended u by writing the post mate

We taking attendance now?

Galekovic

Tongyik       New CB      Jackobsen

Franjic                                   Kilkenny                              New LB

Visa CAM     Caceras

Bruno   Brandan/Fitzy

This should be our formation given our squad. Everyone bitched and moaned about us using 3 at the back but it was worse with 4 at the back

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

Galekovic

Franjic                                   Kilkenny                              New LB

Visa CAM     Caceras

Bruno   Brandan/Fitzy

This should be our formation given our squad. Everyone bitched and moaned about us using 3 at the back but it was worse with 4 at the back

Brandan won't be available until late in the next season so it'll have to be Fitzy up with Bruno.

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

Galekovic

Visa CAM     Caceras

Bruno   Brandan/Fitzy

Couple of comments. IMO Franjic is no more than a squad player now. We need to give Retre and Pieiras plenty of match time if we want them to progress. And I agree that Cahill shouldn't be in the starting line-up, so what is our bench going to look like?

59 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Brandan won't be available until late in the next season so it'll have to be Fitzy up with Bruno.

If that is the case, surely this season we will look to have an injury replacement?

5 hours ago, Dylan said:

Galekovic

Visa CAM     Caceras

Bruno   Brandan/Fitzy

I'd tweak it slightly:

Galekovic

Tongyik       VISA CB      Jackobsen

Franjic                        Kilkenny    Visa CM                       New LB (Or Josh Rose)

Martinez (MQ)

Bruno(MQ)   Brandan(Injury Replacement)

Bouzanis, Malik, Retre, Fitzy, Cahill

The only issue with the 3-5-2 is that there's not a clear spot in the 11 for guys like Fitzy or Kamau, neither of them are wingbacks or strikers, although given Fitzys directness and end product this season he could be worth a try there

5 minutes ago, Embee said:

The only issue with the 3-5-2 is that there's not a clear spot in the 11 for guys like Fitzy or Kamau, neither of them are wingbacks or strikers.

Bang on the money. We were stocked with decent wingers, precisely to play the 4-3-3, with Fitzgerald, Kamau, Colazo, Brandan and Kuzmanovski. 

Since three of those are unlikely to play next season we are down to Fitzgerald and Kamau. You'd think that we would be going after another one or even two in that case.

The mens team will not progress until they address the group mentality issue by using someone like this

He's a former business leader and strategist for the Wiggles and now the beating heart behind Sydney FC's winning mentality.

Mike Conway, professor at the Macquarie Graduate School of Management, has been a quiet but enduring presence at the Sky Blues - even before the A-League season started.

Wearing the club tracksuit and often loitering around training and the dressing room on matchdays, the 'emotional intelligence, resilience and leadership advisor' can be credited with helping ingrain the inclusive team culture often referenced by coach Graham Arnold.

Where strength and conditioning coach Andrew Clark maintains the players' physical fitness, Conway develops fitness of the brain.

And in a sport centred just as much on mental durability as skill, his influence has been a vital component of Sydney's absurdly successful campaign.

"I have enjoyed working with the first team squad at Sydney FC," Conway wrote in a post on LinkedIn.

"These young men are in most instances optimistic souls. However, all have their doubts at one time or another, particularly under pressure or in times of failure and disappointment.

"In these instances, non-effective processes creep in. I have been specifically adopting a positive psychology and hypnotherapeutic techniques which build individual emotional intelligence and resilience."

The result is obvious in the way Arnold and his players genuinely expect to win each week, and in this week's insistence that Saturday's season-defining semi-final against Perth is nothing more than "round 28".

Of course, superstition still plays a little part - chicken and pumpkin risotto is the fixed lucky lunch menu the day before each game, and there might be something behind the continuing presence of skipper Alex Brosque's sumptuous beard.

But overall, defender Rhyan Grant said the psychological growth had made a huge difference.

"We've done a lot of mental stuff this year with Arnie and the staff," Grant said.

"People like Mike have come in talk to us about that sort of stuff.

"It's a confidence thing and we have that belief in each other that we can always get a goal back, go up a goal and go until the final whistle.

"It's put belief in everybody, we know we can run a game out and score goals whenever we put our minds to it."

• Like 2

On 27/04/2017 at 5:55 AM, Dylan said:

Galekovic

Visa CAM     Caceras

Bruno   Brandan/Fitzy

tongyik should be nowhere near the first team.  he show boats by going for a run up the pitch like david luiz and everyone thinks he's special.  the only reason defenders like that get up the pitch is because they briefly overload midfield with an extra man. he is a liability and his positioning has cost us goals.  we were pretty soft at the back v perth with him on the pitch.

i'd rather play rose on than waste cap space on a new left back.

our priorities are:

1. a coach

2. a central defender

3. a marquee creative attacking midfielder

we are good in every other position.  i have some preferences for changes but if we can keep remaining squad an nail those 3 we will be infinitely stronger next year.

Edited by nah brah

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Bela, my preparation for next season is to remove our memberships from the "auto-renewal" process and move from City Gold to City Blue. This means we won't be anywhere the City bench, and I won't be tempted to hurl abuse at the back of Valkanis' head (or whoever inherits the poisoned chalice), and therefore at half-time MrsJW won't threaten to divorce me unless I stop embarrassing her for the rest of the match. I think I'm doing very well so far and I'm looking forward to being something of a "new man" next season.

Just yell louder.

33 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Just yell louder.

Like everyone at the active end does 

50 minutes ago, nah brah said:

tongyik should be nowhere near the first team.  he show boats by going for a run up the pitch like david luiz and everyone thinks he's special.  the only reason defenders like that get up the pitch is because they briefly overload midfield with an extra man. he is a liability and his positioning has cost us goals.  

That should be the signal for one midfielder to begin a forward run and transfer the overload to the front third and the other midfielder to drop back into the hole created by Tongyik. It's better that he moves forward with the ball in the first phase of attacking transition than just stand on it or pass it sideways or backwards

• Like 2

23 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Like everyone at the active end does 

That should be the signal for one midfielder to begin a forward run and transfer the overload to the front third and the other midfielder to drop back into the hole created by Tongyik. It's better that he moves forward with the ball in the first phase of attacking transition than just stand on it or pass it sideways or backwards

should be.  and it happened when malik was in midfield against perth a couple times.  im not saying its a totally bad thing.  im just saying that people jizz over it more than it is worth.

i just think he is a very ordinary defender.  chapman was a better option. tongyik he gets out of shape.  he's flat footed and gets done to easily by opponents.  he makes shit passing choices.  i get the sense that he thinks he's much better than he is and gets overly confident.  or he just doesnt pay attention.  

i just can not believe we went into this season with one first choice central defender.  this is an epic failure. seriously malik, muscat, kilkenny and tongyik should not be first choice central defenders.  the squad this season was so poorly balanced.  a player roster that did not fit the system and 2 key positions just not accounted for - a second central defender and a creative attacking mid.  just nothing there.  

There are certainly valid concerns about recruiting and player selection but they pale into insignificance when you look at the problems with our lack of defensive structure, repeated errors throughout the season and the strong case that can be made for our defensive structure and decision making having got worse over the course of the season

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

There are certainly valid concerns about recruiting and player selection but they pale into insignificance when you look at the problems with our lack of defensive structure, repeated errors throughout the season and the strong case that can be made for our defensive structure and decision making having got worse over the course of the season

I don't think there's any doubt about that whatsoever. Our defenders looked completely lost against Perth - more like a team already consigned to relegation than one contesting the finals play-offs. 

1 hour ago, Missing_Moy said:

IMG_3047.thumb.JPG.4eb4dfda0246092babfde3b1e6e1c2b7.JPG

Saw this on ALM page list of each clubs uncontracted players for next season 

Who should we target?

I'd be keen on Ibini, although I doubt we could get him. Other than that I'm content with our squad as is and think our real improvement will come from nailing our visas and most importantly, the gaffer.

I thought Nico Martinez was on a one-season loan (from Olympiacos) with WSW and that that had now expired? There was a rumour that we were interested. But we will be linked with every player under the sun over the next few months. As above, the manager is the one who should be signed first.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I thought Nico Martinez was on a one-season loan (from Olympiacos) with WSW and that that had now expired? There was a rumour that we were interested. But we will be linked with every player under the sun over the next few months. As above, the manager is the one who should be signed first.

Completely agree. The manager and city management system is the most important. Once we work on building our defensive structure and fixing our tactics then thats when we can sign players

11 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

IMG_3047.thumb.JPG.4eb4dfda0246092babfde3b1e6e1c2b7.JPG

Saw this on ALM page list of each clubs uncontracted players for next season 

Who should we target?

Liam Reddy for one season - then we would become his eight club in the A-League. Afterwards that would leave only AU and Victory to play for thus being the first player to have played for all clubs.

• Like 1