Melbourne Football

Season over - start planning for 2017-18 now

jw1739

We're going to abandon this possession based sideways bullshit, sell our squad of midfielders, buy a whole cabal of defensive players and revert to a man-marking form of Catenaccio. A real keeper will be found.

This dull version of football will see us win all titles and push average attendances above 20,000, capturing the sporting headlines in all major media.

7 minutes ago, haz said:

And Redbull to buy us out. Can't wait to go back to red and white and have freestyle motocross for half-time entertainment 👍

Friend who snowboards up at Mount Bulla is sponsored by Red Bull and heard murmurs at a recent function of Red Bull taking over Doncaster Rovers in the Men's State League 4. A plan similar to that of RB Leipzig with RB Doncaster planning to gain 5 promotions followed by the jump to A League and aspire to win it with their first attempt. Heard it here first.

3 hours ago, belaguttman said:

You seem to be very confident that we'll make the finals!

If we're not going to make the grand final, I think that's the best thing that could happen to this club.

Calling it now though: we'll beat Victory, look better than we have in three months and rope us in again for 3-4 weeks.

1 minute ago, Chris p said:

I can't believe we fucked this season. All we had to do was continue on from last season and find a top quality replacement for Mooy instead we've spent the season trying to shoehorn Cahill into a formation we've never played with dysfunctional midfield  

It's the CFG way. Where is Guus. Help us.

Just had another "Beautiful Football" survey from the club, they must be joking, even had the nerve to ask if we felt they played beautiful football. Well all ican say is goodbye to my membership next season. Money is hard enough to get without wasting it on dud football clubs. I am totally sick of watching these buffoons wander around the pitch and then have the gall to ask if we felt they played Beautiful football.So over it!!!

• Like 6

10 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

Just had another "Beautiful Football" survey from the club, they must be joking, even had the nerve to ask if we felt they played beautiful football. Well all ican say is goodbye to my membership next season. Money is hard enough to get without wasting it on dud football clubs. I am totally sick of watching these buffoons wander around the pitch and then have the gall to ask if we felt they played Beautiful football.So over it!!!

How did you get the survey? Was it email or on city voice? In total agreement with your thoughts! 

The scary thing for me about next season is the number of players who we have pre-contracted for the season. See below:

2016-17 SQUAD TO DATE: 17th January 2017

Number           Name                           Contract until

Goalkeepers.
20                    Dean Bouzanis            31/5/20.

1                      Thomas Sorensen (V) 31/5/17.

Defenders.
4                      Connor Chapman        31/5/19. Transferred to Incheon United, Korea. (23/01/17).

5                      Ivan Franjic                  31/5/18.

6                      Osama Malik                31/5/18.
2                      Manny Muscat             31/5/18.
21                    Ruon Tongyik               31/5/18.
3                      Josh Rose                    31/5/17.
22                    Michael Jakobsen (V)  31/5/18.

Midfielders.

18                    Paulo Retre                  31/5/18.
10                    Anthony Caceres          31/5/17. On loan from Manchester City, England.
26                    Luke Brattan                 31/5/17. On loan from Manchester City, England.

14                    Daniel Arzani                31/5/18.
27                    Fernando Brandan (V)  31/5/18.

8                      Neil Kilkenny                 31/5/18.

9                      Nicolas Colazo (M,V)    31/5/17. On loan from Boca Juniors, Argentina.

Forwards.

28                    Steve Kuzmanovski      31/5/17. Season-ending ACL injury.

7                      Corey Gameiro              31/5/17. Season-ending ACL injury.

23                    Bruno Fornaroli (M,V)    31/5/19.
12                    Nick Fitzgerald               31/5/18.
11                    Bruce Kamau                 31/5/18.
17                    Tim Cahill (FSGM)         31/5/18.

---                    Braedyn Crowley (S)     31/5/18. No longer listed as a senior player (22/01/17).

Only Sorensen, Rose, Kuzi and Gameiro actually come out of contract at the end of this season. Add to those Caceres, Brattan and Colazo who are on loan deals, to give seven players all up. Add in one place opened on the departure of Chapman, and I think perhaps one other place not filled this season, to give nine places available to renew the squad. I'm not sure that that's enough for what needs to be done.

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The scary thing for me about next season is the number of players who we have pre-contracted for the season. See below:

2016-17 SQUAD TO DATE: 17th January 2017

Number           Name                           Contract until

Goalkeepers.
20                    Dean Bouzanis            31/5/20.

1                      Thomas Sorensen (V) 31/5/17.

Defenders.
4                      Connor Chapman        31/5/19. Transferred to Incheon United, Korea. (23/01/17).

5                      Ivan Franjic                  31/5/18.

6                      Osama Malik                31/5/18.
2                      Manny Muscat             31/5/18.
21                    Ruon Tongyik               31/5/18.
3                      Josh Rose                    31/5/17.
22                    Michael Jakobsen (V)  31/5/18.

Midfielders.

18                    Paulo Retre                  31/5/18.
10                    Anthony Caceres          31/5/17. On loan from Manchester City, England.
26                    Luke Brattan                 31/5/17. On loan from Manchester City, England.

14                    Daniel Arzani                31/5/18.
27                    Fernando Brandan (V)  31/5/18.

8                      Neil Kilkenny                 31/5/18.

9                      Nicolas Colazo (M,V)    31/5/17. On loan from Boca Juniors, Argentina.

Forwards.

28                    Steve Kuzmanovski      31/5/17. Season-ending ACL injury.

7                      Corey Gameiro              31/5/17. Season-ending ACL injury.

23                    Bruno Fornaroli (M,V)    31/5/19.
12                    Nick Fitzgerald               31/5/18.
11                    Bruce Kamau                 31/5/18.
17                    Tim Cahill (FSGM)         31/5/18.

---                    Braedyn Crowley (S)     31/5/18. No longer listed as a senior player (22/01/17).

Only Sorensen, Rose, Kuzi and Gameiro actually come out of contract at the end of this season. Add to those Caceres, Brattan and Colazo who are on loan deals, to give seven players all up. Add in one place opened on the departure of Chapman, and I think perhaps one other place not filled this season, to give nine places available to renew the squad. I'm not sure that that's enough for what needs to be done.

I disagree - I think that the players signed have the quality. For me the real problem is the coaching - from fitness levels through to tactics through to selection. Have a decent coach that is both demanding and commands respect, the players will be motivated, start winning and things will continue to improve. 9 players released with a decent #10 and more defensive then the club should improve. However the proviso is that the coaching staff is improved and if CFG are pulling the strings then for them to get out of the way.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Embee said:

The cattle are not the problem, I don't understand why this becomes a discussion point every season when it's so clear where the real issues lie.

The tactics utilized by the coaching staff at our club are inneffective and aren't designed to get the best out of what is a brilliant list of players, the best in the league IMO.

CCM, poor as they are at times, play a brand of football much more suited to the players we have, watching them slice through Perth in transition last night was infuriating after watching the performance we put in against Newcastle on Friday, who tore us apart in a similiar fashion. It must also be said, slick transition football is a lot 'prettier' to watch than ponderous over-possesion.

Being a lover of the game itself I can't agree with you more. I enjoy the spectacle of football and enjoy watching every game except for ours. We are just destroying it.

Edited by playmaker

On 27/01/2017 at 9:52 PM, jw1739 said:

Calling it now. We won't catch either Sydney or Victory for a top two finish, and neither will we beat either in a finals match.

agree with the first part in terms of getting top two but disagree with second.

the fact we have beaten the tards twice this season and Sydney haven't beaten us yet shows we have the cattle (as to tie the discussion in with the rest of the thread so far).

of course, whether we have the resilience for the rest of the season to (a.) get a home final, and (b.) still match the top two come finals is another thing.

they were saying on the SBS commentary Friday night (and checking the games since the start it holds up) that we havent won outta Melbourne since round 1.  well with an away record and history the likes of our club, who would have bloody thought we do shit when we travel!!!  as disappointing as we have been been the last few weeks, I've never held my breath for away games - we've always been crap during away games.

this doesnt remotely let the players off for the games against Perth at home, and CCM, Adelaide and Newcastle away, and it is disappointing we have fallen off the pace so dramatically.  more that maybe people shouldnt be surprised with the last few weeks (particularly if you remember the old Heart away days).

IMO we entered a real flat spot in December / first half of January in the aftermath of the Cup win because (a.) the first bit of silverware was a very emotionally draining element for everyone at the club, and (b.) we then immediately played three successive league games against the other top 4 teams in the league (excluding us at the time of course since we were second).  

with the cup that was 4 games against the big three teams in 17 days, the most important of which (the Cup final) was the first and was the one we needed to win by far.  

I know that I was more than happy to take the Cup win at the loss of league points and I'm sure others on here are / were too.  add to that a few minor set backs with the likes of Jakobsen and Malik having injuries, Brandon and Killkenny getting suspensions and our depth was always going to be tested.

so IMO we have started to turn the corner since we have moved towards having a full squad after a few niggling injuries and have certainly had our chances in each of the games we have dropped points.

the proof will be in the pudding with Valkanis - does he have the ability to re-still the confidence in the team that we saw at the start of the season?

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Embee said:

The cattle are not the problem, I don't understand why this becomes a discussion point every season when it's so clear where the real issues lie.

The tactics utilized by the coaching staff at our club are inneffective and aren't designed to get the best out of what is a brilliant list of players, the best in the league IMO.

CCM, poor as they are at times, play a brand of football much more suited to the players we have, watching them slice through Perth in transition last night was infuriating after watching the performance we put in against Newcastle on Friday, who tore us apart in a similiar fashion. It must also be said, slick transition football is a lot 'prettier' to watch than ponderous over-possesion.

:up:  Just wanted to emphasise that I'd rather watch us play dynamic football, moving the ball forward fast whenever possible even if it seems a bit risky. Our current slow pace is boring at bat shit - crap results just the icing on the cake for the ineffectual style we're playing with probably as good a squad as is going round this season.

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

The real reason is Cahill.... He causes us to be so slow and he regularly is the culprit of turning away from goal and slowing down the play reverting us to only play on the wings with the Full backs overlapping and whipping in nothing crosses all game.
If we want to be any good next season or for the rest of this season Is we need a coach who doesn't care who Tim Cahill is and his name and put the winning formula ahead of Cahill. CFG should realise cahill's off field effect has been used up and now its time to win.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, InMyHeart said:

The real reason is Cahill.... He causes us to be so slow and he regularly is the culprit of turning away from goal and slowing down the play reverting us to only play on the wings with the Full backs overlapping and whipping in nothing crosses all game.
If we want to be any good next season or for the rest of this season Is we need a coach who doesn't care who Tim Cahill is and his name and put the winning formula ahead of Cahill. CFG should realise cahill's off field effect has been used up and now its time to win.

He's not the only one. Brattan for me is not giving the team the kind of drive I was expecting and neither is Kamau lately. Luke makes pretty circles and often slows team momentum allowing the opposition to regroup.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, InMyHeart said:

Cahill should be in the box as he doesn't work hard enough for mid field duties. He is being played wrong, wrong role, wrong position. The amount of crosses that come into box and he is nowhere to be seen is just ridiculous. Melb City manager fails again.

There is no logical reason he shouldn't be in the box, none at all

• Like 2

1 hour ago, InMyHeart said:

I agree that Cahill is a significant part of our problems. But it was FFA who wanted Cahill for the off-field stuff, not CFG. We just used him as a bargaining chip to obtain concessions from FFA. I agree that his off-field effect has finished, but the feeling is that we're obliged to play him as part of our agreement with FFA (although there's no proof of that).

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, haz said:

The boys are back at the tennis today. I hope they spent yesterday or today analysing the game from Friday...

Don't know why you're concerned. I'm sure we'll see a selfie or two of Cahill with sometennisbody or other. Building interest in the A-League you know...

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I agree that Cahill is a significant part of our problems. But it was FFA who wanted Cahill for the off-field stuff, not CFG. We just used him as a bargaining chip to obtain concessions from FFA. I agree that his off-field effect has finished, but the feeling is that we're obliged to play him as part of our agreement with FFA (although there's no proof of that).

My theory is that CFG knew all along this season was going to be a massive disappointment to City fans but were happy to go along with the whole Cahill thing so the FFA to let them change to "city blue" safe in the knowledge we would not develop any real fond memories of the club until the master plan to turn everything sky blue has been complete.

(they knew the high of the FFA cup win would ultimately be overshadowed by the low of the regular season)

sheeple-once-you-awaken-its-hard-back-be

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KSK_47 said:

My theory is that CFG knew all along this season was going to be a massive disappointment to City fans but were happy to go along with the whole Cahill thing so the FFA to let them change to "city blue" safe in the knowledge we would not develop any real fond memories of the club until the master plan to turn everything sky blue has been complete.

(they knew the high of the FFA cup win would ultimately be overshadowed by the low of the regular season)

sheeple-once-you-awaken-its-hard-back-be

Tbh its not out of the realm of possibility,  i mean with JVS in charge we all knew what was going to happen this season (despite us hoping otherwise). CFG probably just as surprised as us that we didn't choke in FFA Cup.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, malloy said:

Tbh its not out of the realm of possibility,  i mean with JVS in charge we all knew what was going to happen this season (despite us hoping otherwise). CFG probably just as surprised as us that we didn't choke in FFA Cup.

Exactly

4 hours ago, InMyHeart said:

Fuck me, so spot on, with all my football experience I honestly started to believe I was the only one seeing that this is a main issue in our general football - unless this is a trick to get me to comment haha.

We have to play him this season don't forget that.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

:up:  Just wanted to emphasise that I'd rather watch us play dynamic football, moving the ball forward fast whenever possible even if it seems a bit risky. Our current slow pace is boring at bat shit - crap results just the icing on the cake for the ineffectual style we're playing with probably as good a squad as is going round this season.

Graham Arnold must be astounded that for once his team isn't playing the most boring football in the League.

No chance Arnold would come to us. Imagine him being told what to do by CFG. 'Yes Graham you've won many championships and yes you would win many more under us if you implement your style. But that's not what we're about at City. We want beautiful football and in turn winning football.'

Great priorities. 

Edited by n i k o

14 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

He's not the only one. Brattan for me is not giving the team the kind of drive I was expecting and neither is Kamau lately. Luke makes pretty circles and often slows team momentum allowing the opposition to regroup.

We have seen this lack of drive show up in many players over the years. I think the problem is that, despite them being professionals, it is difficult to maintain enthusiasm when you are being managed by Muppets who have no vision and no ability to drive the team forward. It is the same problem you see in a lot of organisations - and I would not be surprised if many of you on here have experienced it. Give us good coaches and an energetic, enthusiastic and engaged management and watch the change.

• Like 4