Melbourne Football

International Politics

Deeming

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 13/12/2023 at 8:04 AM, jw1739 said:

I have to ask this even though it's dangerous territory - WTF does the US think it's doing continuing to support the destruction of Gaza and the wanton killing and maiming of civilians?

WW3 is around the corner, USA just trying to not to piss off its allies in key geographical locations.

Edit: The USA turns a pretty big blind to some of the attrocities its allies commit (e.g. Turkey), to ensure they remain allies, thats not to say US don't do their fair share of fucked up shit.

Edited by malloy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Not in my lifetime, not in the kid's lifetime either...

Also likely that we'll struggle to see one of these new" frigates" or whatever it is that are also now proposed.

Perhaps I've only been paying attention to the Morrison and Albanese governments and ignored previous ones, but the capacity of these two governments to waste money is incredible.

I read this morning that 46 lawyers have been drafted in to the Home Affairs and Australian Government Solicitor's army of solicitors to work on applications to re-detain the 149 immigrants recently released from permanent detention. This to add to the recently-created "Community Protection Board" that's already got them under surveillance.

There must be a better way, surely?

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Also likely that we'll struggle to see one of these new" frigates" or whatever it is that are also now proposed.

Perhaps I've only been paying attention to the Morrison and Albanese governments and ignored previous ones, but the capacity of these two governments to waste money is incredible.

I read this morning that 46 lawyers have been drafted in to the Home Affairs and Australian Government Solicitor's army of solicitors to work on applications to re-detain the 149 immigrants recently released from permanent detention. This to add to the recently-created "Community Protection Board" that's already got them under surveillance.

There must be a better way, surely?

Step 1. Sack all judges in the High Court.

Step 2. Allow governments or litigants time to review the judgement before making the judgement active.

Step 3. Lift the ban of deporting people to 'dangerous countries' where they may come to harm. Tough shit. You were given lifeline and chose to screw it up.

• Thanks 1