Melbourne Football

Newcastle Jets Vs Melbourne City. Friday 27th January, 7:50KO

kingofhearts

Really, the next fortnight is our last chance to catch the top two. let's see how much they want it. I'm sick of hearing things like "We all know what City is capable of..." If the last three months are anything to go by, we're completely incapable of winning a second half and of putting teams to the sword when they're down.

Just now, SF33 said:

Really, the next fortnight is our last chance to catch the top two. let's see how much they want it. I'm sick of hearing things like "We all know what City is capable of..." If the last three months are anything to go by, we're completely incapable of winning a second half and of putting teams to the sword when they're down.

It is. It's conceivable we can be back on terms with Victory in the next fortnight given they have Perth (A) off a four day break from Welly away, Sydney and then us. We have to come to the party with two wins but its certainly not beyond us

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bt50 said:

It is. It's conceivable we can be back on terms with Victory in the next fortnight given they have Perth (A) off a four day break from Welly away, Sydney and then us. We have to come to the party with two wins but its certainly not beyond us

Yep. It's certainly conceivable, but on recent form, it looks pretty unlikely. We'll draw against the Jets, or we'll draw both games, or Victory will beat Sydney.

Scenarios that look straightforward on paper for this team rarely play out that way. Take last season, as an obvious example. People may find it hard to remember, but we were actually top of the table with two games to play. Win those two games and we win the league. So what happened? We went down 3-0 against Perth, before salvaging some pride with a couple of consolation goals, then we lose 2-0 at home, the only time we failed to score at AAMI all season. Finishing on top of the league was that close last season and we just failed to show up and finished fourth. I'll trust this team when it gives me a decent reason to.

7 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Yep. It's certainly conceivable, but on recent form, it looks pretty unlikely. We'll draw against the Jets, or we'll draw both games, or Victory will beat Sydney.

Scenarios that look straightforward on paper for this team rarely play out that way. Take last season, as an obvious example. People may find it hard to remember, but we were actually top of the table with two games to play. Win those two games and we win the league. So what happened? We went down 3-0 against Perth, before salvaging some pride with a couple of consolation goals, then we lose 2-0 at home, the only time we failed to score at AAMI all season. Finishing on top of the league was that close last season and we just failed to show up and finished fourth. I'll trust this team when it gives me a decent reason to.

This. People have forgotten all the records we set last season - as a club and all the personal recognitions that went with it. But as with every JvS season we crumpled at the end. It was our chance to get into Asia and take a quantum step forward and upwards and become a real powerhouse in Australian football.

We blew it, and as this season has shown, the chance doesn't come easily.

Sigh.

17 minutes ago, SF33 said:

On exposed form you would have laughed if anyone said Victory would be anywhere near top 2 after 5 rounds as well tbf. 
Form is never permanent so I'm hoping we've had our bad stretch and are going to come into some serious form in the back end of the season, and live up to our squad on paper and potential.

I still doubt we'll make second but you're only a chance as long as you believe you are, and everyone that follows this club knows we have the players to do it. The question is whether we have the mental aptitude.

There's plenty to play for this season even if we don't finish top two; ACL qualification and getting into a good groove heading into the finals can set us up for a legit crack at the toilet seat.

34 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

This becomes the pivotal game of the season for us ...  a must win, and we need to do it with style and in comfort

Every game seems to become this.

Saying that, 2-2 un-inspiring draw. One of ours being from a penalty and a Newcastle goal conceded around the 80th minute.

Edited by haz

1 hour ago, haz said:

Every game seems to become this.

Saying that, 2-2 un-inspiring draw. One of ours being from a penalty and a Newcastle goal conceded around the 80th minute.

That's because every game is. The Heart/JvS mentality that we're improving each week, that players are coming back from injury, that we know we need to start winning, that there's still so-and-so games left, that we've shown we can beat anyone in the competition etc. etc. is a cancer that has been in this club since Day 1. Unless you've already won the league every league match is as important as any other - they all have three points up for grabs. We're in this position at this time of the season because we don't have the right attitude.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That's because every game is. The Heart/JvS mentality that we're improving each week, that players are coming back from injury, that we know we need to start winning, that there's still so-and-so games left, that we've shown we can beat anyone in the competition etc. etc. is a cancer that has been in this club since Day 1. Unless you've already won the league every league match is as important as any other - they all have three points up for grabs. We're in this position at this time of the season because we don't have the right attitude.

out of likes JW

13 hours ago, Melburnian said:

If we are to get in the top two this is a must win as Victory lost tonight.

Based on us, we will score first, act like millionaires then concede two minutes later. Then after having 70% of the possession but not doing anything with it, we will concede in the 85th minute. 

2-1 loss.

So so True, unfortunately.

On 20/01/2017 at 10:05 AM, bt50 said:

On exposed form you would have laughed if anyone said Victory would be anywhere near top 2 after 5 rounds as well tbf. 
Form is never permanent so I'm hoping we've had our bad stretch and are going to come into some serious form in the back end of the season, and live up to our squad on paper and potential.

I still doubt we'll make second but you're only a chance as long as you believe you are, and everyone that follows this club knows we have the players to do it. The question is whether we have the mental aptitude.

There's plenty to play for this season even if we don't finish top two; ACL qualification and getting into a good groove heading into the finals can set us up for a legit crack at the toilet seat.

He does my head in with his anti-City agenda, but Mark Rudan was spot on about something, he was talking about the gap between Sydney and Victory (following Victory's City-like capitulation in Perth), though he could just have easily been talking about Sydney v everyone else. The Sky Blues are the one team in the league that you can trust, either to consistently come from behind for a result or to get a lead and then go for the jugular. They have seven goals against and the next best in the league is twenty. They understand how important every game is and that pats on the arse and "better luck next time" following a disappointing performance won't win you anything of significance.

So, I guess that's one of the reasons that we could catch Victory: because you can't truly trust them to take care of business either, although they have been more trustworthy than us this year and far more trustworthy our respective histories (if the ladder positions stay the same, this would be the fifth time in seven years that they've finished higher than us). I will admit though, the putrid performance against Central Coast looked a bit sweeter, once we gained ground on them. 

• Like 1

I think that we have to look to Graham Arnold for the above. In Japan he had a minor blip to his managerial success story, but his records with Central Coast and now Sydney can only be described as outstanding.
With Central Coast 112 matches, 54 wins, 29 draws and 29 defeats (win% 48.2).
With Sydney 90-45-25-20 (win% 50.0).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SF33 said:

They understand how important every game is and that pats on the arse and "better luck next time" following a disappointing performance won't win you anything of significance.

Yep. Say what you want about Arnold but he's generally got the best out of his teams over the season. That's because he doesn't

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

I think that we have to look to Graham Arnold for the above. In Japan he had a minor blip to his managerial success story, but his records with Central Coast and now Sydney can only be described as outstanding.
With Central Coast 112 matches, 54 wins, 29 draws and 29 defeats (win% 48.2).
With Sydney 90-45-25-20 (win% 50.0).

Yep I was just starting to write the above when you posted.

• Like 1

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/michael-valkanis-wants-defensive-stability-and-melbourne-city-to-make-most-of-pressure-and-chances-20170126-gtz074.html

Valkanis saying the obvious, that we need to be better in defence and take our chances up front.   Tonyik will most likely be back in the starting XI

Edited by haz

1 hour ago, haz said:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/michael-valkanis-wants-defensive-stability-and-melbourne-city-to-make-most-of-pressure-and-chances-20170126-gtz074.html

Valkanis saying the obvious, that we need to be better in defence and take our chances up front.   Tonyik will most likely be back in the starting XI

If he's quoted correctly, he's opting for a back four too. IMO most of us would be more comfortable with that.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

If he's quoted correctly, he's opting for a back four too. IMO most of us would be more comfortable with that.

It's not only the structure, but also the tactics that are killing us. The high press with too much space between the CBs and GK will always make us vulnerable on the counter attack. I am interested to see if he attends to this.

• Like 1

What's killing us is the high press coupled with our low conversion rate with our multitude of scoring chances. Bruno is less efficient both in terms of opportunities and in converting his chances. If we had last season's attack with this season's defence we would have won last season and be leading this season.

I'm expecting us to concede 2 goals against Jets and it's unlikely that we can score 3

Edited by belaguttman

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

What's killing us is the high press coupled with our low conversion rate with our multitude of scoring chances. Bruno is less efficient both in terms of opportunities and in converting his chances. If we had last season's attack with this season's defence we would have won last season and be leading this season.

I'm expecting us to concede 2 goals against Jets and it's unlikely that we can score 3

Don't be too positive mate.

We got this dw, 3-1 win (because we always concede a goal)

"bro just sprint at 4000km/h towards the defenders and they'll fuck up and we'll score a goal I promise"

"but I can't regain momentum and don't have the stamina required to constantly regain possession, leading to them easily cutting the ball back a few centimeters and passing across the field where none of our players are due to aforementioned press to render it useless"

"dw you're improving every week"

siktir git amk

They just need to flood our box for the whole game, get us fatigued, and then long ball into 40 metres of space behind our defenders after the 60th minute.

That's how you score against us.

White line, white line, white line, white line..... fatigue....... then crash.

Hopefully Valkanis does something 

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

They just need to flood our box for the whole game, get us fatigued, and then long ball into 40 metres of space behind our defenders after the 60th minute.

That's how you score against us.

White line, white line, white line, white line..... fatigue....... then crash.

Hopefully Valkanis does something 

IMO it's time for the whole club to stand up and show that it means business. As individuals and as part of Melbourne City. On and off the field. We've heard the mantra, and read the promises, and it's time now for the delivery. Brisbane had a big season not so long ago, and Sydney are doing it this season. If we want to be the club to which we purportedly aspire, then now is the time to demonstrate that.

• Like 1