Melbourne Football

Opposition GKs

SF33

Ok, the last thing this team needs is more excuses for underachieving so far this year, but has anyone else noticed that it seems to be a rule that the opposition goalkeeper will be at his absolute best against us? I'd be surprised if goalkeepers have polled more in the Tobin award (essentially being voted as his teams best or second best player) against any other team in the league and it seems to have been going on for years. I don't even really know who the crap goalies are in the league, because all of them seem to be very solid against us and it feels like it's been going on for a while (as in a couple of years). When did an opposition goalie have a nightmare game against us? Even when we beat Victory 4-1, Thomas was probably one of their better players...the margin could have been much bigger.

Any theories on why this is, or is it just one of those things? A by-product of our slow transitions?

Edited by SF33

20 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

We have the best attack in the league, however something is not clicking at the moment. 

I think it has to be considered more than that. Even though we look stagnant at times, I don't think the shots on target stat is lying: we had nine, they had one. In other words, Izzo made seven saves, Bouzanis made zero.

Just now, playmaker said:

Because 5 shots were straight at his torso. Our players can't shoot for shit.

Yeah, that's probably part of it. But he still made a number of good saves and, as an example that springs to mind, even if Fornaroli's late free kick had curled into the top corner, Izzo looked to have it covered. I'm not saying that he made seven world class saves, but he made a few good ones and he didn't make any howlers that I can think of. Seems like a pretty regular story for the opposition custodian.

I'm paraphrasing here:

"Liam Reddy was the hero for Perth, saving two Fornaroli penalties and making several other crucial saves."

"Janjetovic was outstanding in his first game for the Wanderers, after arriving this week."

"Galekovic had a great game for Adelaide."

"The margin could have been much larger, but Izzo was superb for Central Coast."

And so on, and so on...

1 hour ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

We have the best attack in the league, however something is not clicking at the moment. 

I'm not allowed to say why anymore! Believe me chaps but I've played on a high level and coached too. I've been a member since our first Melbourne derby and as arrogant as it sounds but we are better off without C+ (just like Strider misses his black banana).

I keep supporting this club.

• Like 1

The point remains.

Even if his performance was slightly overrated, Izzo was still one of Central Coast's better players and I don't think he really made an error. But this is not a one-off. Even just in the past month, Liam Reddy (who always seems to be fantastic against us, whenever I've watched him) has probably played the game of his life and Janjetovic puts in an almost flawless performance, even though he probably had to introduce himself to his defenders in the change rooms before the game. What is going on here? When is the last time a keeper had a poor game against us?

On 1/20/2017 at 8:15 AM, SF33 said:

The point remains.

Even if his performance was slightly overrated, Izzo was still one of Central Coast's better players and I don't think he really made an error. But this is not a one-off. Even just in the past month, Liam Reddy (who always seems to be fantastic against us, whenever I've watched him) has probably played the game of his life and Janjetovic puts in an almost flawless performance, even though he probably had to introduce himself to his defenders in the change rooms before the game. What is going on here? When is the last time a keeper had a poor game against us?

-Deleted Image-

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SF33 said:

The point remains.

But the common factor is the City attack.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

But the common factor is the City attack.

And I guess that's what I'm asking. Look beyond last night and whether we sufficiently challenged Izzo (hey, he's still got to catch them...would we bet on Bouzanis not having a brainfart somewhere along the way when dealing with similar shots?)...like I've said, it seems to have been happening for ages. Do people think it's a coincidence, or is it something about our style that makes it easy for goalies to play against us?

8 minutes ago, SF33 said:

And I guess that's what I'm asking. Look beyond last night and whether we sufficiently challenged Izzo (hey, he's still got to catch them...would we bet on Bouzanis not having a brainfart somewhere along the way when dealing with similar shots?)...like I've said, it seems to have been happening for ages. Do people think it's a coincidence, or is it something about our style that makes it easy for goalies to play against us?

5 minutes ago, SF33 said:

For me our attack just doesn't play with any sort of rhythm. Brandan missed an absolute sitter last night, but other than that how many of our "chances" were just a tap-in, the simple pull-back from the wing to an unmarked striker on the edge of the 6-yard area? We attacked a lot during the second half down the right, but to me Franjic and Kamau just didn't seem to know who was to go forward and when. IMO we were better down the left, but still didn't create the simple chances. Of course, taking an age to move the ball forward out of defence doesn't help because it gives the opposition time to pack their defensive lines.

IMO it's all in the City style and little to do with the opposition 'keepers.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, playmaker said:

You seem to be missing my point: it's been happening for ages. It's not about Paul Izzo, or last night's game in isolation. It's that I can't remember the last time a keeper was less than solid against us and given our recent experiences with Bouzanis and Redmayne in goals, having a keeper that is solid every week would be fantastic.

I don't buy that our players can't shoot. Kamau seems to be the only one completely bereft of confidence when he gets the ball inside the area. In the Heart days with Mifsud, Dugandzic, Williams and Ramsay, ok...then it was fair to say that we couldn't shoot for shit. But now with Fornaroli, Cahill, Colazo, Fernando and even Kilkenny firing some rippers from distance in recent weeks? We've pretty clearly got the class to finish. For whatever reason, it's not happening.

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

For me our attack just doesn't play with any sort of rhythm. Brandan missed an absolute sitter last night, but other than that how many of our "chances" were just a tap-in, the simple pull-back from the wing to an unmarked striker on the edge of the 6-yard area? We attacked a lot during the second half down the right, but to me Franjic and Kamau just didn't seem to know who was to go forward and when. IMO we were better down the left, but still didn't create the simple chances. Of course, taking an age to move the ball forward out of defence doesn't help because it gives the opposition time to pack their defensive lines.

IMO it's all in the City style and little to do with the opposition 'keepers.

Yeah, it's frustrating. Because we're certainly not lacking for quality (on paper at least) with our wingers and attacking midfielders either: Brattan, Fernando, Kamau,  Colazo, Fitzgerald, Caceres.

11 minutes ago, SF33 said:

You seem to be missing my point: it's been happening for ages. It's not about Paul Izzo, or last night's game in isolation. It's that I can't remember the last time a keeper was less than solid against us and given our recent experiences with Bouzanis and Redmayne in goals, having a keeper that is solid every week would be fantastic.

I don't buy that our players can't shoot. Kamau seems to be the only one completely bereft of confidence when he gets the ball inside the area. In the Heart days with Mifsud, Dugandzic, Williams and Ramsay, ok...then it was fair to say that we couldn't shoot for shit. But now with Fornaroli, Cahill, Colazo, Fernando and even Kilkenny firing some rippers from distance in recent weeks? We've pretty clearly got the class to finish. For whatever reason, it's not happening.

Because 30 shots were straight at the goal keepers torso or in the goal keepers safe zone. I am saying that is the reason because it is. You look at our shots on target over the last 10 matches you will agree that our players can't shoot for shit.

I put purely down to the fact is that we are now the benchmark team. Regardless of positioning on the league we are supposed to be the best team in the league. The squad we put together and the money invested into the the team and the training facilities is above and beyond what other teams spend. We are the team that's supposed to be the giant and as such whenever someone plays us they are the david trying to beat the Goliath. I don't think its as much to do with playing styles it's just the other teams and this instance have more motivation.

Hence why the keepers are playing absolute blinders against us

• 9 months later...