Melbourne Football

Melbourne Derby: The XXIII Instalment......4th February 2017

n i k o

Just now, bt50 said:

My reasoning centres more around they'll want to get Brandan in after his performance last week, and his earlier performances against the mongs. The logic says Brandan eithe comes in at LW or CAM, which means Colazo gets moved to either LB with Rose making way, or into CAM to replace Cahill. Alternatively he stays put on the left and Fernando goes to CAM. For mine Fernando at CAM is super risky in a derby tho, he's a red card waiting to happen in the middle of the park imo. I'm pretty confident Tongyik will replace Malik though, who has been ordinary for a few weeks now.

I know what your saying bt and can only hope it happens. I just think there a good chance that it won't. 

9 hours ago, bt50 said:

Sorensen

Franjic      Jakobsen        Tongyik    Colazo

Brattan           Kilkenny

Caceres

Kamau                 Fornaroli         Brandan

SUBS Bouzanis    Fitzgerald   Cahill    Muscat      Malik

IMO that's our best lineup and hope to god thats what we'll try. I think there will be at least one axing out of Brattan, Bouzanis and Cahill.

Fitzy in for Kamau

• Like 1

You're all delusional.

We know it will be a 4-3-3.

---------------Bouzanis------------------

Franjic---Malik---Jakobson---Rose

------Brattan--Cahill--Kilkenny-----

Kamau------Fornaroli--------Colazo

Bench: Sorenson, Brandan, Arzani, Caceras, Fitzgerald

4-1 Loss is my prediction.  (Our goal being a penalty)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Been playing terribly for the past month with penalties our only way to goal. Gonna get royally violated, take lube.

Well that's not true.

Our last 4 games we've scored 5 goals for one penalty.

We have been playing shit though.

Was promising to hear from Franjic in the presser that he said the club worked on rectifying the issue with counter attack goals that we keep coping. When pressed for more information by the journalist he almost gave out what work had been done, but stopped short cause he said he was saying too much but sounded to me like the strategy and positioning of the defence will change for this game. 

Edited by coys

20 minutes ago, coys said:

Was promising to hear from Franjic in the presser that he said the club worked on rectifying the issue with counter attack goals that we keep coping. When pressed for more information by the journalist he almost gave out what work had been done but sounded like the strategy and positioning of the defence will change for this game. 

Lets fuckin hope so.

I'd love to play quick counter attacking football ourselves. With the quality and pace we have on the wings, we'd rip teams apart

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, coys said:

Was promising to hear from Franjic in the presser that he said the club worked on rectifying the issue with counter attack goals that we keep coping. When pressed for more information by the journalist he almost gave out what work had been done but sounded like the strategy and positioning of the defence will change for this game. 

Heard it all before. If it takes the club this long to change what has been blindingly obvious to everyone else associated with the A-League then we need a lot more than Franjic's assurances.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Heard it all before. If it takes the club this long to change what has been blindingly obvious to everyone else associated with the A-League then we need a lot more than Franjic's assurances.

And so have I, but from the presser and the question asked by the journalists to me indicates that the playing group always felt unlucky to cop the goals we do but now it's a realisation that it's not luck it's a counter attack and we know that whatever team we play will set up that way and something proactive has finally be done.

Ofcourse as you say and a part of me thinks shit all's gonna happen and we are still gonna cop goals on the counter but I feel optimistic about what happened at this weeks training. Or maybe I've completely lost the plot. Who knows until we find out this weekend

Melbourne Victory squad:  2.Jason GERIA, 4.Nick ANSELL, 5.Daniel GEORGIEVSKI, 6.Leigh BROXHAM, 7.Marco ROJAS, 8.Besart BERISHA, 9.Max BEISTER, 10.James TROISI, 11.Mitch AUSTIN, 13.Oliver BOZANIC, 14.Fahid BEN KHALFALLAH, 15.Alan BARO, 16.Rashid MAHAZI, 20.Lawrence THOMAS (gk), 21.Carl VALERI (c), 22.Stefan NIGRO, 23.Jai INGHAM, 40.Matt ACTON (gk)

**two to be omitted**

Ins:  4.Nick ANSELL (promoted), 11.Mitch AUSTIN (promoted), 22.Stefan NIGRO (promoted)

Outs:  17.James DONACHIE (suspended – 1 match)

Unavailable:  Nil

Melbourne  City FC squad:  1.Thomas SORENSEN (gk), 2.Manny MUSCAT, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 6.Osama MALIK, 8.Neil KILKENNY, 9.Nicolas COLAZO, 10.Anthony CACERES, 11.Bruce KAMAU, 12.Nick FITZGERALD, 14.Daniel ARZANI, 17.Tim CAHILL, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 21.Ruon TONGYIK, 22.Michael JAKOBSEN, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI (c), 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Fernando BRANDAN

**two to be omitted**

Ins:  2.Manny MUSCAT (promoted), 14.Daniel ARZANI (promoted) 18.Paulo RETRE (promoted)

Outs:  3.Josh ROSE (omitted)

Unavailable:  7.Corey GAMEIRO (ACL – season), 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI (ACL – season)

Rose out is bound to make a few of the plebs happy.

Sorensen

Franjic      Jakobsen        Tongyik    Colazo

Brattan           Kilkenny

Caceres

Kamau                 Fornaroli         Brandan

SUBS Bouzanis    Fitzgerald   Cahill    Muscat      Malik

Sticking with my earlier week squad although Bouzanis and Cahill for Sorensen and Caceres probably more likely. Increasingly confident Colazo will play at LB this weekend. Arzani or Retre for Malik on the bench a distinct chance too imo.

Edited by bt50

4 minutes ago, coys said:

And so have I, but from the presser and the question asked by the journalists to me indicates that the playing group always felt unlucky to cop the goals we do but now it's a realisation that it's not luck it's a counter attack and we know that whatever team we play will set up that way and something proactive has finally be done.

Ofcourse as you say and a part of me thinks shit all's gonna happen and we are still gonna cop goals on the counter but I feel optimistic about what happened at this weeks training. Or maybe I've completely lost the plot. Who knows until we find out this weekend

I'll believe we've done something when I see us line up without our full-backs standing almost on the half-way line and our GK in the goal area and not looking like a centre-back but in a different strip.

• Like 1

I'm going completely different, I'm going back to 3 at the back.  I still stand by that we played our best games when we did it.  I know valkanis said he wants 4 but that's not working 

Bouzanis 

Malik.     Jakobsen.   Tongyik

Franjic.         Brattan.       Kilkenny.      Colazo

Brandan

Cahill.           Fornaroli 

Sorenson Muscat Caceras Kamau Fitzgerald 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, neio said:

I'm going completely different, I'm going back to 3 at the back.  I still stand by that we played our best games when we did it.  I know valkanis said he wants 4 but that's not working 

Bouzanis 

Malik.     Jakobsen.   Tongyik

Franjic.         Brattan.       Kilkenny.      Colazo

Brandan

Cahill.           Fornaroli 

Sorenson Muscat Caceras Kamau Fitzgerald 

Tell me you're joking with Malik.

Change that with Muscat and you have a team

8 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

Tell me you're joking with Malik.

Change that with Muscat and you have a team

I'm not, he was poor last week but in general I think Malik gets unfairly criticized on here. He is a better player than muscat. IMO he is in our best 11 

5 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

Things to consider. They haven't got Donachie but we have Jako back for this one. We didn't have him last derby and we lost. I'm feeling another pumping, 3-0

So who is pumping and who will be pumped?

They are the home team.

4 minutes ago, neio said:

I'm not, he was poor last week but in general I think Malik gets unfairly criticized on here. He is a better player than muscat. IMO he is in our best 11 

He has been consistently poor from the day we got him last season.

Maybe Malik at his best (which we haven't seen for 2 seasons now), but atm he has been just as to blame for our poor defending as Rose has been.

Muscat has had his moments, but has played well for us more often than not. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

All the pessimists need to remember that our opponents have lost 3 on the trot. This game is therefore a battle between the two teams with the worst form in the league.

i can't see it being s spectacle, but we do have a chance.

The worst of the best in the league

Edited by n i k o

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

Valkanis said in this MC pre-match interview that both teams are playing well. 

Delusional, we have no hope. 

I'm all for a more honest assessment of our performances post match. But these are the things you say before any performance to the media and the players. Nothing wrong with what he said as it s about drawing on all positives, even when some of them may not be entirely true. You've been a little too over critical about everything the last few weeks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

You've been a little too over critical about everything the last few weeks. 

Sorry, I am just fed up with our potential being stifled by incompetence.

Also fed up with Melb City treating it's members like idiots as all he needed to say was that both teams have been not playing to their potential blah blah blah. At least acknowledge what is obvious instead of fake propaganda.

I am not critical of the team, just really angry with the coaching staff.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Sorry, I am just fed up with our potential being stifled by incompetence.

Also fed up with Melb City treating it's members like idiots as all he needed to say was that both teams have been not playing to their potential blah blah blah. At least acknowledge what is obvious instead of fake propaganda.

I am not critical of the team, just really angry with the coaching staff.

Fully understand. There are differences of opinion on minor things, but IMO most of us are fed up for the same basic reasons.

Valkanis ponders A-League derby line-up - Football
By AAP

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/02/03/10/40/valkanis-ponders-a-league-derby-line-up

Melbourne City coach Michael Valkanis is toying with deploying an ultra-attacking line-up to unsettle Melbourne Victory in Saturday's A-League derby.

The Etihad Stadium match takes City back to the scene of their extraordinary 4-1 triumph back in October, when Tim Cahill announced his A-League arrival with a 40-metre goal to set the contest alight.

City used their early-season momentum to claim the FFA Cup but have endured slim pickings since then, with just two wins in nine matches.

It's why a return to the 3-4-3 formation that bore fruit at the start of the campaign is in consideration for Saturday night's blockbuster.

And with it, could come the return of Fernando Brandan.

The cult City hero and Victory pantomime villain has been out of the City starting side since the most recent derby, on December 17.

But Valkanis knows his qualities and is pondering whether a line-up that includes the diminutive Argentinian - as well as countryman Nicolas Colazo, Tim Cahill, Bruce Kamau and Bruno Fornaroli - will do the business.