Melbourne Football

What in earth is going on with the Women's team?

Dylan

The womens team is scoring a lot less than last season having lost 2 goal scorers and having Crummer out injured until last game. Having lost Beattie at the back they are conceding a lot more too. It just shows that to play the CFG style successfully you need very good key position players.

I went all the way out to the derby by pt and have been too disgruntled to post until now. I think there's a couple of things:

- we're missing Little in the midfield: someone to control the ball, give us a chance to recover, take the pressure off the defense and feed the ball to the forwards. Fishlock is good but she's missing someone to play off.

- our forward line is much less potent - we set up chance after chance and fail to convert them (how many times have we hit the woodwork, or passed when we should have shot, or shot from long range when we should have passed)

- the team as a whole is not connecting as well with each other - passes go astray, people don't make the runs. I don't know if this is because our squad is more unsettled and we have been changing our line up, or if it's the players we have

- other teams are fired up to play us, and also as mentioned this year other teams have lifted their game after seeing us last season, so the competition is stronger

- possibly the pressure is getting to the team in a bad way

- the coaching situation is not ideal, with Joe previously splitting his attention with the men's team, and now a player/coach and assistant coach who are fairly inexperienced

- this is just classic Melbourne City. 

On a slightly more optemistic note, the w-league is quite a rollercoaster this year anyway. Look at Adelaide, they put 10 goals past WSW and they're on the bottom of the ladder; this week Canberra thrashed Perth 7-2 and they lost to Sydney 6-1 two weeks ago.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I've been a few times by car, which is bad enough, so you deserve a medal for going by PT.

I started in the city so it was only an hour and a half to get out there (including a walk along the shoulder of the road from the bus stop because there was no footpath), but it was over two hours to get home. I'm not in a hurry to go out there again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2017 at 7:33 PM, jw1739 said:

I don't think you take Kim Little, Jen Beattie and Lisa de Vanna out of a squad and not see some impact of that. Whether there's something deeper than that in the club as a whole only time will tell.

I haven't followed the chicks very closely this year but as you say we've lost close to the best 3 players in the league that you've listed plus Crummer (injured), Goad and Chidiac. Perhaps some others too?

You lose quality like that, it's going to hurt.

1 hour ago, Kinnibari said:

Well they seem to be sorting their shit out at the right time at least. Several players have said the coaching changes actually worked out for the best.

Is that saying in effect that a Fishlock-Kisnorbo combination is better than Montemurro-Fishlock? Interesting if so.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Is that saying in effect that a Fishlock-Kisnorbo combination is better than Montemurro-Fishlock? Interesting if so.

I did wonder. The less interesting explanation would be that is was just a set of fresh eyes that helped (change in routine that led to new examination). It could also be that Montemurro was just too busy juggling multiple roles this season (after all last season went ok). But it could signal some kind of friction.

On 06/02/2017 at 10:59 AM, jw1739 said:

More info about the coaching situation in this interview with Catley:

"The coaching issues have been there since the start of the season but we have a mature and experienced group who have been able to work through it with those in charge now," Catley said.

"It's not ideal, but we have been able to handle it. Patrick coming in has really challenged us as he demands a very high standard."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/catley-confident-city-can-go-all-the-way-and-make-backtoback-wleague-history-20170206-gu6gty.html

Definitely sounds like there were issues with the previous coaching setup. Dual focus by Montemurro didn't work?

• Like 3

Thanks for that. Obviously Catley isn't going to go into details, but it sounds to me as though things just got a little bit sloppy all round with the W-squad and that Paddy K has demanded a lot more from them. TBH I think that's the problem with certain other sections of the club as well - a few too many people nicely in their comfort zone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kinnibari said:

Mmm. I don't know what's happening inside the club, but it's been good watching Kisnorbo get fired up on the sidelines.

Very early doors. But if Paddy can string a couple decent seasons who knows he could be in line for the head job. 😎

43 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Very early doors. But if Paddy can string a couple decent seasons who knows he could be in line for the head job. 😎

Wouldn't say no to him being an assistant or being sent to Manchester for some "training"

• jw1739 locked this topic