Melbourne Football

A-League Rivalries and Derbies

Celt

Watching the Sydney derby got me thinking about derbies on a whole in Australia. 

What's considered the biggest? Most atmospheric? Heated/Passionate? Competitive? 

Perth seem to have a bit of a rivalry with Brisbane due to Berisha's dive in the grand final a few years back, any others like this that aren't necessarily city rivals? 

There's only one that matters. It's "The Derby", and it was the first, and we won the very first 2-1 (watch the build-up to our winner if you want to see one of the best-ever goals in our history).

Nothing can take the memory of that wonderful evening away.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hakz7 said:

I do agree that the Sydney derby is bigger than ours'. But only because both teams have large fan bases. However, in terms of  the on field aspect alone, the Melbourne Derby always feels bigger.

I don't think it's the fan base necessarily, I think it's bigger because there is a real divide between the two supporter bases. Sydney FC are the upper class, inner city elite bling club, and the Wanderers are the lower-middle class, immigrant filled outer-West club. The Melbourne Derby as much as I love it is just navy blue vs sky blue.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

I don't think it's the fan base necessarily, I think it's bigger because there is a real divide between the two supporter bases. Sydney FC are the upper class, inner city elite bling club, and the Wanderers are the lower-middle class, immigrant filled outer-West club. The Melbourne Derby as much as I love it is just navy blue vs sky blue.

Absolutely agree. Originally there was a legitimate venom in our derbies. But a lot of the hatred seems to have died out and the rivalry has become about as heated as a big bash derby.

Or maybe its because i am not in active any more so i no longer have to exit the stadium dodging fares and coins.

5 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

It's not so much inner city but east Sydney. Well every other direction than west. But there is a real divide there where there issnt one in Melbourne. The closest we have is maybe the Yarra south of the Yarra/North of the Yarra but that's about it

6 minutes ago, Dylan said:

It's not so much inner city but east Sydney. Well every other direction than west. But there is a real divide there where there issnt one in Melbourne. The closest we have is maybe the Yarra south of the Yarra/North of the Yarra but that's about it

I'm not sure about geography being that important. I think time is the factor. Belgrade has a great derby between Partizan and Red Star and they are both very close geographically also Liverpool and  Everton are close and the Milan derby is always in the San siro probably heaps more examples. Give it 50 years and the Melbourne derby will be something.