Melbourne Football

Chinese Super League influence on A League/Australian football

MattN

Have been wondering recently what impact the Chinese Superleague will have on the A League/Australian football in light of some of the recent signings made by Chinese clubs.

It gives the players of A League teams the opportunity to play against quality players in a competitive tournament that matters as opposed to friendly's made against European clubs during preseason which don't count for anything.

Also ACL home games played on Australian soil should produce more public interest if the likes of Tevez and Oscar come to town. Who knows what teams they will put together in the future. Even though I see them as money grabbing and not playing for what I believe football is about there's no doubt the ACL games will continue to be more and more popular.

Just something that crossed my mind...

I don't see it as beneficial at all. I see the Chinese decimating the A-League.

They've always shopped here down the years, they know they can get value for money and good squad fillers. 

Half decent A-League players who will never command in excess of $10-15k a week, here or in Europe, will get it over there and will jump through hoops for it. 

Even the commentators on last nights Melb Victory match were angling for a move (!) and I think they said a ref was going over. 

As for playing against good players in ACL duty, that will be negated by the homegrown/foreign player rules, no? They'll have top squads domestically and Chinese guff in the ACL. 

Unfortunately, I see Fornaroli there. Be a snip compared to what we've seen on the likes of Tevez, he gets bums off seats (and on them) and he's someone who won't be filthy rich and wouldn't scoff at becoming so. 

I don't believe the Chinese SL will be cannibalising our imports. Why poach Fornaroli when you can have Tevez? It is the Australian players that will continue to be targeted as they can count toward their Asian visa spot. With regard to the strength of the competition domestically vs continentally, I thought the 3 + 1 rule was implemented in the CSL as well as the Asian CL.

Edited by Blackout

13 minutes ago, Blackout said:

I don't believe the Chinese SL will be cannibalising our imports. Why poach Fornaroli when you can have Tevez? It is the Australian players that will continue to be targeted as they can count toward their Asian visa spot. With regard to the strength of the competition domestically vs continentally, I thought the 3 + 1 rule was implemented in the CSL as well as the Asian CL.

I'm assuming not all clubs will be able to afford a Tevez, there will be levels of finance, just like every other league. 

He's flash, prolific at a level they know well and has that S.American swagger that the Chinese are mad for. Infinitely cheaper than anybody of his ilk with a reputation.  

Not sure about the rules in the CSL. 

Edit: What does 4 +1 mean? 4 foreigners? Non-Asian? 

Edited by Celt

4 hours ago, Celt said:

I'm assuming not all clubs will be able to afford a Tevez, there will be levels of finance, just like every other league. 

He's flash, prolific at a level they know well and has that S.American swagger that the Chinese are mad for. Infinitely cheaper than anybody of his ilk with a reputation.  

Not sure about the rules in the CSL. 

Edit: What does 4 +1 mean? 4 foreigners? Non-Asian? 

Correct. 4 foreign players + 1 foreign Asian player.

So they have the whole world to find the first 4 players (which will almost certainly be South Americans and Europeans) and 1 player from the comparatively weaker Asian confederation. So at the end of the day, they end up raiding the smaller Asian talent pool (which is realistically limited to South Korea, Japan and Australia) in order to maximise their foreign players allowance.

Edited by Blackout
  • Like 1