Melbourne Football

Round 16 vs CCM Thursday 19th January

kingofhearts

I'm more positive than most here I think.

Obviously disappointing not to bury them but on another night we could have had 4 or 5. Missed some sitters.

Felt different to the last few games where we've had 60%-70% possession and hardly created anything.

Love Timmy.

Massive two games coming up in terms of our push for top 2.

I think people here are just concerned about how Timmy is being used in the current structure. Nothing to do with his commitment and leadership. Simple frustration.

last season our defensive performance was poor, maybe even atrocious at times, however we had absolute magic up front with silky skills of Mooy slicing opposition with his passes to god Bruno and his buddy Harry . 

It just worked a treat.

This season with Timmy on board and decent signing of Brattan everyone expected goals to rain at the rate of 3 or 4 per game.

most games it still does, only issue is too many are in our net.

Edited by Jestr
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, SF33 said:

It's a bit tough to not have at least a tinge of negativity when we've only filled our boots against an outmatched/outclassed opposition exactly once this year. Ok, we've won a couple of games since the new year and hopefully arrested the slide, but until City manages to just shred a team from start to finish and win 3-0, 4-0, 5-1, until they manage to show that collectively, they're even in the same postcode as the sum of their parts, I'll continue to treat them with skepticism. Scratching out results against 10-man cellar dwellers at home is nothing to write home about.

Totally agree.

i spend most of my time sitting down so bored that I decided to take my laptop out and looking for excitement on redtube

• Like 4

Wasn't the worst match this season, but wasn't the best. We really should have put them away easily.

Some fairly random comments that come to mind.
Our defence still leaks goals far too easily. Didn't think very much of either Rose or Franjic tonight. The Franjic-Kamau combination just doesn't seem to click at all. Thought Malik was shaky in the first half, but improved as the match went on.
Kilkenny had a cracker - bossing the midfield and driving the players on.
Brattan a bit better than recently, but I would like to see Caceres given a start instead.
Colazo had a good one as I expected he would, but I would play him at LB in place of Rose and play Brandan on the LW. I would start Fitzgerald instead of Kamau.
Bruno was being held every time the ball went near him. A couple of the the incidents should have been yellow cards at least IMO as he was the last man in on goal. He's not chatting the referee nearly as much as early in the season.
Thought Valkanis delayed his subs too long. At half-time he was having what looked like a heated discussion with Montemurro.

Big positive that we received no cards tonight.

Overall I get the impression that the whole team is conscious of the run of poor results and isn't playing with much freedom. We should have had at least four goals tonight, but I'll take the three points and move on.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Yeah I noticed. I really don't get the criticism of him on here at all. The guy is clearly a fantastic leader, he scores goals including big goals in big games, he does an incredible job promoting the club and the league and tonight he got us the win just like he has several times this season. What more do people want from him? He's genuinely doing exactly what he's being paid to do. If you were expecting him to come out here, run his nuts off for 90 minutes up and down the park and be a creative midfielder you've clearly never watched him play for any of his previous clubs or the national team. At the end of the day Cahill has made a name for himself by being one of the best poachers going around. He knows where to be and when to be there, he scores headers and tap ins and then the occasional belter. He's not a Kilkenny type player with a massive engine who runs and moves the ball all day. He's a finisher and a bloody good one at that.

I also couldn't give a flying fuck what we're paying him and neither should anyone. At the end of the day he's basically a bonus marquee completely outside the salary cap being paid for by one of the richest men in the world on our behalf. It's not like our memberships are what's paying him like the Heart marquees of old.

At the end of the day he's not the reason we're playing worse than last season as so many people on here want to believe. The reason we aren't as good as last year can be summed up in two words: Aaron Mooy. You don't lose the best and most influential player in the history of the league and expect to be as good the next season. It was never going to happen. We are currently third on the table and we've been in the top three for pretty much the whole year. We have a caretaker coach replacing an almost entirely unsuccessful coach and we've already won silverwear this season. We also won tonight in case nobody noticed? I get that people are frustrated but fuck me just a couple of years ago we wouldn't have even been able to dream of a season as good as this one currently is. Lighten the fuck up everyone and lay off the bloke who won us three points tonight. /rant.

I respect that you have you been around for while and that cahill wins the occasionally game for us.

I'm voting Timmy for man of the match tonight! A good performance doesn't go unnoticed for this old timer.

sorry but without the last Etihad win and the FFA cup final, what has he done for us? I'm sorry but I'm not convinced he is worth the money, he had good game today. Let's hope that is the standard but  we are one mid way the season.

40 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Yeah I noticed. I really don't get the criticism of him on here at all. The guy is clearly a fantastic leader, he scores goals including big goals in big games, he does an incredible job promoting the club and the league and tonight he got us the win just like he has several times this season. What more do people want from him? He's genuinely doing exactly what he's being paid to do. If you were expecting him to come out here, run his nuts off for 90 minutes up and down the park and be a creative midfielder you've clearly never watched him play for any of his previous clubs or the national team. At the end of the day Cahill has made a name for himself by being one of the best poachers going around. He knows where to be and when to be there, he scores headers and tap ins and then the occasional belter. He's not a Kilkenny type player with a massive engine who runs and moves the ball all day. He's a finisher and a bloody good one at that.

I also couldn't give a flying fuck what we're paying him and neither should anyone. At the end of the day he's basically a bonus marquee completely outside the salary cap being paid for by one of the richest men in the world on our behalf. It's not like our memberships are what's paying him like the Heart marquees of old.

At the end of the day he's not the reason we're playing worse than last season as so many people on here want to believe. The reason we aren't as good as last year can be summed up in two words: Aaron Mooy. You don't lose the best and most influential player in the history of the league and expect to be as good the next season. It was never going to happen. We are currently third on the table and we've been in the top three for pretty much the whole year. We have a caretaker coach replacing an almost entirely unsuccessful coach and we've already won silverwear this season. We also won tonight in case nobody noticed? I get that people are frustrated but fuck me just a couple of years ago we wouldn't have even been able to dream of a season as good as this one currently is. Lighten the fuck up everyone and lay off the bloke who won us three points tonight. /rant.

I respect that you have you been around for while and that cahill wins the occasionally game for us.

I'm voting Timmy for man of the match tonight! A good performance doesn't go unnoticed for this old timer.

sorry but without the last Etihad win and the FFA cup final, what has he done for us? I'm sorry but I'm not convinced he is worth the money, he had good game today. Let's hope that is the standard but  we are one mid way the season.

maybe I keep dwelling on last season and sexy football but just  need to be satisfied with 2-1 win against a ten men ccm. 

I think tonight we showed signs we are slowly improving. I understand that we were playing against 10 men, but we moved the ball a bit better tonight. Our finishing is still fucking atrocious, how many times do we kick the ball right at the keeper ffs, but a win is always good. 

As the 15th person to say this, i can't believe all the cahill hate. Its the systems fault that him and Bruno  have not been able to play together. I couldn't really give a fuck if he only touches the ball 3 times a game, as long as one of those touches invlve him scoring a goal, i'm happy. I would like to think a competent coach would be able to get them to both work well on the park, because at the moment it seems like each week one will have a good game whilst the other will be invisible.

I think people need to understand that we are a different team now that mooy has left. I understand it has not been pretty football recently with our wins, but people need to understand maybe we're not a flashing, high scoring team now. Maybe our identity is to grind out games. As long we get good results, thats all that matters at the end of the day.

• Like 5

I just feel so conflicted about this team at the moment.  Whilst I'm happy to take the three points and Cahill is the MOM with two good goals, I just think we're playing boring rubbish football and not playing anywhere near our potential.  I think Cahill is great for marketing and getting fans through the gate but I think structurally he's horrible for our team.  Hence my mixed emotions - I really like the guy, like his goals, but dislike our style of play which I don't think, after watching us over the last three weeks, will deliver us any more silverware if we continue at this rate.  The difference from last year is not Aaron Mooy alone, the major difference is that we're not playing a number 10 really at all who can play the ball around the park. present to the DMs and provide an avenue through the middle of the park.  I know this may not be popular to say, but look at the last 15 minutes of the game with Colazo in the middle (not a natural 10, but presented to the 6 and 8) and then especially Caceras, and you see interplay, faster ball movement, attacking through the middle of the park and quick balls played to the feet of our Argentinian forwards who like playing this way.

For 75 minutes, Cahill as our 10 may would occasionally present to our two DMs, but then charge forward to join the front line for a header.  We couldn't play through the middle and always had to play wide because we had no 10 to transition through the middle of the park.  That's ok - that's playing to Cahill's strength - but I don't think it is a way to win against really good teams who will chop it out easily and get us on the counter. Hence I'm conflicted.  Because whilst we gain from Cahill's strengths, we take from Bruno's and Brandan's who are basically useless when your major avenue to goal is a Franjic cross.  Very few clever through-balls all night and no plan B with the team set up as it is.  My real concern is whether, given the FFA have tipped so much money in to get Cahill, that there is an expectation that we have to play him.  I'd suspect not but I wouldn't be surprised if there was.  I love Tim Cahill as a player and a leader but I just hope the new manager can find a way to gel him with the rest of the team because at the moment the football is pretty uninspiring. The current setup, structure and style needs to be re-thought.

The other thing my son commented upon and becomes clear when you hear then on the park was that this just looks like a team that isn't enjoying itself.  Kilkenny is getting frustrated with players not listening to him, others are getting pissed off back with his yelling at people and giving them a spray and Bruno just isn't happy with the lack of space due to a crowded forward line.  They don't look like a happy bunch and I think this is also reflected in the football.  There's a long way to go and plenty of time but at the end of the day you do want to see your team having fun and playing for each other.  It all looks a bit robotic, defensive and negative.

Take the money and run - I am happy with a win and we do march on.  We have some tougher games coming up and hopefully the team can pull together and enjoy some wins.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Thrillhouse said:

we're fucking shit, thank god for cahill, should of won our potm too 

get the new coach in asap so we don't have to go through the "getting to know each other" bullshit at the start of next season

1 minute ago, Defibrillator said:

I just feel so conflicted about this team at the moment.  Whilst I'm happy to take the three points and Cahill is the MOM with two good goals, I just think we're playing boring rubbish football and not playing anywhere near our potential.  I think Cahill is great for marketing and getting fans through the gate but I think structurally he's horrible for our team.  Hence my mixed emotions - I really like the guy, like his goals, but dislike our style of play which I don't think, after watching us over the last three weeks, will deliver us any more silverware if we continue at this rate.  The difference from last year is not Aaron Mooy alone, the major difference is that we're not playing a number 10 really at all who can play the ball around the park. present to the DMs and provide an avenue through the middle of the park.  I know this may not be popular to say, but look at the last 15 minutes of the game with Colazo in the middle (not a natural 10, but presented to the 6 and 8) and then especially Caceras, and you see interplay, faster ball movement, attacking through the middle of the park and quick balls played to the feet of our Argentinian forwards who like playing this way.

For 75 minutes, Cahill as our 10 may would occasionally present to our two DMs, but then charge forward to join the front line for a header.  We couldn't play through the middle and always had to play wide because we had no 10 to transition through the middle of the park.  That's ok - that's playing to Cahill's strength - but I don't think it is a way to win against really good teams who will chop it out easily and get us on the counter. Hence I'm conflicted.  Because whilst we gain from Cahill's strengths, we take from Bruno's and Brandan's who are basically useless when your major avenue to goal is a Franjic cross.  Very few clever through-balls all night and no plan B with the team set up as it is.  My real concern is whether, given the FFA have tipped so much money in to get Cahill, that there is an expectation that we have to play him.  I'd suspect not but I wouldn't be surprised if there was.  I love Tim Cahill as a player and a leader but I just hope the new manager can find a way to gel him with the rest of the team because at the moment the football is pretty uninspiring. The current setup, structure and style needs to be re-thought.

The other thing my son commented upon and becomes clear when you hear then on the park was that this just looks like a team that isn't enjoying itself.  Kilkenny is getting frustrated with players not listening to him, others are getting pissed off back with his yelling at people and giving them a spray and Bruno just isn't happy with the lack of space due to a crowded forward line.  They don't look like a happy bunch and I think this is also reflected in the football.  There's a long way to go and plenty of time but at the end of the day you do want to see your team having fun and playing for each other.  It all looks a bit robotic, defensive and negative.

Take the money and run - I am happy with a win and we do march on.  We have some tougher games coming up and hopefully the team can pull together and enjoy some wins.

Spot on.

Obviously we will take the win, but I didn't walk away tonight feeling like we had improved on the display we put on in Adelaide last week.  I also agree with an earlier post that the lads seem to crack it with each other far too much (on the park).  I am all for seeing passion on the park but not if its misguided.  I haven't played for ages but I remember there was nothing better than playing with guys who were genuine leaders on the park, lots of positive chatter, slaps on the back, giving directions etc.  Their attitude and actions were infectious.  I don't see much of that going on at our games...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Defibrillator said:

This is what I was trying to say the other week when I suggested that Bruno and Cahill aren't working in the same team. I suggested we play Cahill up top for a game and give Bruno 60 mins off. I suggested Tim starts as he looks the most likely to score in our team currently (perhaps linked to style) and nearly got shanked. But I maintain Cahill at 10 and Bruno at 9 won't reap results over the season. So perhaps it's time to try Caceres at 10 and leave Bruno up top and have Cahill ride the bench for a bit. I'd even be happy to see Brandan tried at 10. Someone with work rate that can link up with the dm's and the forwards.

7 hours ago, JC22 said:

I'm more positive than most here I think.

Obviously disappointing not to bury them but on another night we could have had 4 or 5. Missed some sitters.

Felt different to the last few games where we've had 60%-70% possession and hardly created anything.

Love Timmy.

Massive two games coming up in terms of our push for top 2.

Wot? 

Anyway it was lacklustre, we need the new manager ASAP

I think we are on the verge of pulling out of this rut we seem to be dwelling in since FFA Cup, I saw Colazo really starting to hit his straps and was unlucky to hit the post twice (should of had a goal last week), Brats is starting to link up well with people in the box maybe needs to link up or hit the pass earlier before opposition has a back 11 flooding the joint. Kamau and Frana work well together doing the little cut backs to get in behind defence. As soon as we start getting multiple scorers and not relying the little few we have been then I think opposition defences will start to become stretched and it will be party time. 

3-5-2 with Cahill and Bruno up front together, Brandan/Caceres at #10, Colazo and Franjic as wing backs.  Or 3-4-2-1 with Cahill and Brandon/Caceres in behind Bruno. Would make us better defensively having 3 CB's (who don't attack), utilises the strengths of Franjic/Colazo crossing to Cahill and should give Bruno more opportunities to get the ball to feet though the number 10 (s). 

another frustrating night at the office

I'll take the 3 points, but it shows how disjointed this team is

We've ruminated on this since the FFA Cup

playing the bottom team at home, against 10 men for 70 minutes and we can put 1 goal past them in that 70 minutes?

I give up trying to work out what's going on,

FMD, Sydney or Victory would have put 3 or 4 goals past CCM in that 70 minutes,

we ain't going to catch those 2 to get an Asian Cup spot

Edited by japiedog
  • Like 2

Central Coast Mariners coach Paul Okon has labelled Melbourne City goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis as “unprofessional” after he urged officials to send off Roy O’Donovan in the 2-1 loss on Thursday.

The Mariners found themselves trailing from a Tim Cahill goal, before O’Donovan quickly equalised. However in the 23rd minute linesman George Lakrindis adjudged the Irishman had elbowed Michael Jakobsen in the face as they were both contesting for the ball in flight.

It resulted in the Dane reacting angrily as well as Bouzanis running to the officials and ultimately referee Daniel Elder dismissed O’Donovan.

Okon said he was disappointed with the City goalkeeper.

“He’s (Bouzanis) a good kid, I like Dean, but to run out of your goal for 60 metres, straight up to the linesman… unprofessional and it’s not fair play,” Okon said.

“I’d hate that from one of my players to behave like that so again we hope to have Roy available next week, I think that would be logical and normal.”

The Mariners boss expected O’Donovan’s suspension to be rescinded by the FFA.

A similar incident occurred in the Melbourne Victory versus Brisbane Roar game last week where Besart Berisha was sent off for an adjudged elbow on Luke Devere, with many on social media believing Elder had ruined the game.

“I would be surprised if there was someone in the stadium or at home on TV who thought that was a red card,” he said.

“I just want to say I hope common sense prevails, that the match review panel look at that and clear Roy to play next week.

“It would be very disappointing if we were punished tonight because of that decision and if he’s not free to play next week it punishes us again the following week because don’t have anyone available, I hope common sense prevails and it gets rescinded.

“The referee’s got a yellow card in his hand, he’s deemed it to be yellow card. If it’s at worst a yellow card.”

Okon felt it changed the game for City to simply keep possession.

But the Mariners boss still lauded his young side.

“City had one or two more chances to make the score-line bigger. I couldn’t be more proud of the way the boys played,” he said

“The effort and we’ll still be heading in the right direction. But we have nothing to show for it.”

Ha+

Edited by haz

What do all you guys think about the red card?

I don't get how Okon and some others compare this to the Berisha red card. 

I can clearly see a high arm swinging back and a hand hitting Jakobson in the face, the arm moves in a unnatural way. In the replay you can see Roy looking over his left shoulder before the incident so he knows exactly where the defender is.

Berisha his arm was no way as high and didn't reach out that much, and there was minimal contact.

Edited by Mr MO

It's probably harsh,  but it was a silly thing to do.  I would have been comfortable with just a yellow card. It won't get rescinded but it will just be a 1 match ban 

And he can't compare it to berisha,  I still have no idea what he did to get a red card. 

Also where the fuck did okon get 60 metres from,  it was about 20 

Edited by neio

4 minutes ago, neio said:

It's probably harsh,  but it was a silly thing to do.  I would have been comfortable with just a yellow card. It won't get rescinded but it will just be a 1 match ban 

And he can't compare it to berisha,  I still have no idea what he did to get a red card. 

Also where the fuck did okon get 60 metres from,  it was about 20 

Yeah, I probably would have said a yellow was fair enough.

I think Okon's getting his knickers in a twist because Bouzanis is the goalkeeper. Any other player running up to the ref and pleading his case wouldn't have raised a mention. Personally, I find it pretty distasteful the way an entire team will go after the referee after an incident like that, but if the shoe had been on the other foot, I'm sure a couple of Mariners players would have been just as demonstrative as Bouzanis was.

And, yeah, 60m? that would have been two thirds of the way to the other goals. Hyperbole like that doesn't exactly help Okon.

Just now, SF33 said:

Yeah, I probably would have said a yellow was fair enough.

I think Okon's getting his knickers in a twist because Bouzanis is the goalkeeper. Any other player running up to the ref and pleading his case wouldn't have raised a mention. Personally, I find it pretty distasteful the way an entire team will go after the referee after an incident like that, but if the shoe had been on the other foot, I'm sure a couple of Mariners players would have been just as demonstrative as Bouzanis was.

And, yeah, 60m? that would have been two thirds of the way to the other goals. Hyperbole like that doesn't exactly help Okon.

Just on the bolded bit, we need to remember the players dont have the benefit of a replay, or perhaps even saw it properly to start with.

I know if I was playing and out of the corner of my eye i saw an opposition player throw their arm back and collect a teammate i'd be pretty off it too. And unless you clearly see otherwise, you'll always back your teammate.

• Like 3

It's all about intent which the refs at the time beleive existed. If Roy glanced back and jumped up, disguising his flailing arm as part of a jumping motion with the intent of hitting Jakobsen with his arm on the face would that be a red? 

I wouldn't have objected to a yellow and I wouldn't be suprised if this is overturned but does the above explanation change the decision or not? 

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Just on the bolded bit, we need to remember the players dont have the benefit of a replay, or perhaps even saw it properly to start with.

I know if I was playing and out of the corner of my eye i saw an opposition player throw their arm back and collect a teammate i'd be pretty off it too. And unless you clearly see otherwise, you'll always back your teammate.

There's backing your teammate and then there's bullying the referee into trying to make the decision that you want. I'm talking about when pretty much an entire team will go after a ref, screaming at him, in an attempt to intimidate him. It just shows a complete lack of respect. If you want to scream at someone, scream at O'Donovan. If you want to talk calmly to the referee, go right ahead.

It looks awful when groups of players do that and it sends a terrible message. Just my opinion.

Just now, SF33 said:

There's backing your teammate and then there's bullying the referee into trying to make the decision that you want. I'm talking about when pretty much an entire team will go after a ref, screaming at him, in an attempt to intimidate him. It just shows a complete lack of respect. If you want to scream at someone, scream at O'Donovan. If you want to talk calmly to the referee, go right ahead.

It looks awful when groups of players do that and it sends a terrible message. Just my opinion.

I don't disagree, but every team does that tbf.

Football in general, moreso than any other sport ive encountered, has a shocking lack of respect for referees.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, bt50 said:

This goes for the referees as well. I was right there and saw it and at real speed it looked far worse than it was because you saw him look where Jackobsen was, sort of prep himself and then fling an arm back towards his head. Its critical to remember that it wassnt aimed at Jakobsen's body and bounced up, or that Jackobsen bent down, it was aimed for the head. 

Here is the thing every player should remember.

DONT GIVE THE REF THE OPPORTUNITY TO GIVE A RED IN THE FIRST PLACE

Its fucking frustrating people at home and commentators (especially Brenton Speed) bitching and moaning AFTER looking at a replay and not when it first happens. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

Red.

Lack of duty of care, arm fully extended at the player's head, eyes for the player and arm in an unnatural position relative to the body motion.

Red card.

If that was my teammate that got belted I would be pretty pissed off as well and discussing with the ref why a red should be issued.

As for the refs, they are all substandard and the FFA should replace them all with Marquee refs if they really want the game to grow.

Linesman should be suspended for a month without pay for making critical mistakes in a match.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Dylan said:

DONT GIVE THE REF THE OPPORTUNITY TO GIVE A RED IN THE FIRST PLACE

I agree wholeheartedly with this. A golden rule for any footballer at any level, but gold+ at a professional level because you are letting your fellow players, your club and your club's fans down. Argument that it should have been red or yellow after the match will happen whatever decision the ref. has made. O'Donovan clobbered Jakobsen across the mouth. Stupid. Red card. End of story.

6 minutes ago, haz said:

The stats show that we were very dominant during the game. If we had scored another 2 goals then we would have complete different thoughts on how we played.

CityvsMariners1.JPG

CityvsMariners2.JPG

CityvsMariners3.JPG

CityvsMariners4.JPG

CityvsMariners5.JPG

The stats are exactly what any decent team should be against a shit side with 10 men for 70 minutes.

And we couldn't score for a whole half and could have given up the win in one counter attack.

There are 6 other teams in the comp that would have buried CCM before the 60th minute.

If they had 11 men we would have lost the same way we did against Adelaide because our passing accuracy would have dropped and they would have got us on the counter with Pain, Buhagiar and O'Donovan ripping us to pieces.