Melbourne Football

Round 16 vs CCM Thursday 19th January

kingofhearts

I thought he was hard done by till they showed the replayof him looking over his shoulder and his body positioning was such that he didn't need to balance himself like that, so it certainly looked deliberate.

anyway like you say our record against 10 is appalling, so might have been better if he stayed on

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Not sure about that. First he looks where he is, then he slings his elbow back (for no reason). Can't argue.

This. He looks, preps himself and then flings an arm. In real time it looks alot worse (was right near it) than the replays but everyone watching on TV including the commentators. 

I'm at the game and this is shocking.   Can you say "cow's ass" and "banjo"?    We couldn't score in a $2 brothel!!

No team will give us so many chances with 10 men.  Victory will kill us playing like this.  

WTF has happened?  We look neutered each week apart from Timmy headers. 

1 hour ago, Habitual said:

Not a red card.

If we copped that same card I'd be at JB Hifi tomorrow getting a new TV.

VIOLENT CONDUCT

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.

• Like 2

Three points, I suppose, but yuk. Can't help but think the teams above us would have won by 3+ against 10 men, at home, against the bottom team in a must win game.

Fair criticisms:

• Failed to win the second half (we've won two all year)
  • All that firepower, all those balls in the box, still struggling to score.
  • Giving up reply goals almost immediately, because we open the scoring and start thinking we're Barcelona. You'd think they'd learn after it cost us umpteen times so far this year, but there you go.

Ridiculous criticisms:

• Mark Rudan: seriously fuck off. What was it (as Valkanis correctly pointed out) 27 shots to 2? He was making it sound like they were unlucky to lose and that every time they got the ball into the final third was "looking dangerous". We absolutely slaughtered them everywhere but on the scoreboard. Get real. I thought Travis Dodd was in rare form, suggesting that Adelaide scoring the second goal last week was "nothing less than they deserved", but Rudan's something else.

On another note, good on Valkanis for pointing out the bleeding obvious: that we should have put several goals in and failed to capitalise and that it's concerning not just how regularly we give up reply goals, but just how quickly we do it. Both need to improve tremendously in order for us to threaten this season.

With the upcoming games for us and Victory, it's definitely conceivable that we can quickly catch them on the table. But on that point, Rudan is right: it's hard to see it happening, on current form.

20 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Not the most inspiring game, but happy to take the 3 points. Rewatching the red card makes me think it was the right decision. And as little as Cahill may add to the team structurally, if he keeps scoring goals I'm happy.

Imagine if he scores and works for the team!!!

yes I'm not a Cashill fan.

Well we hung on to win against the bottom team in the League

Positives:

We won against the bottom team in the League at home and against 10 men for 70 minutes

We scored against 10 men, finally.

We only conceded one goal

Good game from Colazo, probably his best since his ear problem.

I had 2 sausages

Negatives:

We won against the bottom team in the League at home and against 10 men for 70 minutes

That second half was 49 minutes of my life I'll never get back again

How many more times are we going to cross the ball and continue to not have a runner on the near post? The ball is always collected by the opposition CB.

Still too many backwards balls when a forward pass is the better option

Last year's team would have scored 5 goals in that game, we must be one of the worse teams for conversion efficiency in the League. 26 shots, only 9 on target. Shooting accuracy 34%

I couldn't enjoy the game as even in extra time I was waiting for the sucker punch equaliser. We can't kill a game off against the bottom team whilst we've conceded more >80 minutes goals than any other team

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 3