Jump to content
Melbourne Football
belaguttman

City tactics 2016-17

Recommended Posts

hakz7    1,424
1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

 ... and it helps when you have this guy as your finisher 

cristiano-ronaldo-chip-goal-1.gif.9ae72a9e1b7c5035f2cd76e4afec1ba7.gif

 

You couldn't put one of his many many goals against any team but Galatasaray?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Embee    2,374
27 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

You couldn't put one of his many many goals against any team but Galatasaray?

Poor Eboue :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hakz7    1,424
2 hours ago, Embee said:

Poor Eboue :(

At least we saw him do this in the second leg.

eboue.gif

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
playmaker    892

I was just reading through a couple of things at work and this article came up which basically summed up our season.

It was quite refreshing that our opposition saw our deficiencies but none of our managers did or just didn't know how to correct the problem. :(  Absolutely hopeless.

The upside is I have hope that it is a thing of the past. Interesting read none the less.

 

 

Perth Glory have brought tough talk to Melbourne and are confident of backing up their words in Sunday's A-League elimination final.

Source: 

AAP

22 APR 2017 - 8:56 PM  UPDATED 22 APR 2017 - 8:56 PM

 

Opponents Melbourne City have been labelled "fairies" and "selfish" by brash Glory striker Andy Keogh on the eve of the sudden-death match.

The trash-talk was brought on by criticism of the physical tactics adopted by Perth, who beat City 5-4 in a finals tune-up last week.

Keogh, who has scored 12 goals this season, struck out at the suggestion.

"There's no beating round the bush. Football's a physical game," he said.

"We're not a bunch of fairies and if they want to act like that and talk about the physical side of things that's their prerogative.

"But football has always been a physical game and you don't win games by not being physical."

Coach Kenny Lowe backed up the suggestion, saying critics should "play netball".

The comments promise to add more spark to a burgeoning rivalry.

The two teams have combined for 20 goals in three meetings this season, two won by the Glory with the other a draw.

Lowe said his side's firepower meant Glory would run out at AAMI Park full of confidence.

"We've scored three or more goals nine times this season ... that means we're dangerous," he said.

"You've got to deal with (Diego) Castro, you've got to deal with Keogh, you've got to deal with (Adam) Taggart, you've got to deal with (Chris) Harold, and not many do."

Comparing the counter-attacking style adopted by Glory with City's possession-hungry approach, Keogh offered another backhander.

"They're good on the ball (but) ... defensively we expose a lot of selfish players that don't like to track back," he said.

"That's how we like to hit on the counter and expose them.

"Over three games I feel we've shown we're a better side and hopefully we can prove that again tomorrow."

Lowe laughed off the suggestion his side was easy to read.

"It's a bit funny if we're predictable, I think we've beat them every time but never mind," he said.

"That's immaterial ... tomorrow it's about actions.

"Big players stand up and we've got plenty of players that can stand up."

Lowe suggested a minor concern around the fitness of Socceroos player Rhys Williams, who has played just one full game in six weeks.

"It's going to be tough for him to back up for a full game but we'll see how he goes," Lowe said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moops    238

Golecovic

Pierias-Jacobsen-Bart-Jamieson

Malik-Killa

Marcin

Fitzy-Fornaroli-Arzani

 

Boozanis, Cahill, Bratten, Kamau, La Rocca

When Brandan is fit I would put him in LW and put Arzani in instead of Fitzy. I would even consider Genreaou instead of Bratts tbh for ballance, unless La Rocca can play DM enforcer.

The HAL really needs 2 more sub's on the bench.

Edited by moops
More flavour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dylan    4,160
50 minutes ago, moops said:

Golecovic

Pierias-Jacobsen-Bart-Jamieson

Malik-Killa

Marcin

Fitzy-Fornaroli-Arzani

 

Boozanis, Cahill, Bratten, Kamau, La Rocca

When Brandan is fit I would put him in LW and put Arzani in instead of Fitzy. I would even consider Genreaou instead of Bratts tbh for ballance, unless La Rocca can play DM enforcer.

The HAL really needs 2 more sub's on the bench.

So you put in Pierias (who is fast becoming the new walker), when bart can play RB andy have no room for Tongyik?

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moops    238
38 minutes ago, Dylan said:

So you put in Pierias (who is fast becoming the new walker), when bart can play RB andy have no room for Tongyik?

Imho Tongyik is slow, error prone and surprisingly can't jump, he is probably more suitable for DM unless he improves himself.

La Rocca is card prone and I'm not certain of his quality.

Muscat shouldn't play CD or RB, he should be only considered for the Malik enforcer role.

So unless Bart moves into CD, we are weak there, but have depth with La Rocca and Tongyik.

Pierias impressed with his cameo I think to be given a chance and Muscat can fill in or Bart if he royally fucks up.

That's my thinking on the matter.

 

Edited by moops
I'm a self confessed Walkerist. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dylan    4,160

imagine being 20 and not considered #yoof enough to not be allowed to have any flaws or make any mistakes

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moops    238

I think you have misunderstood me, which doesn't mean you can't disagree with me, but your post suggests the former.

Playing youth for the sake of it is pointless.

Playing players who don't fit the position equally so, Tongyik likes to carry the ball often and he is quite a good dribbler, he can intercept, put in a tackle, but his deficiencies imho cancels him out as a CD, but he has the quality you want in a DM.

Edited by moops
Spelling!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
belaguttman    3,804
2 hours ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Looks like we will be a very aggressive team this season, all the players we've signed seem to have a lot of cunt about them

and in the past having a lot of cunt has just got us well and truly rogered defensively

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
belaguttman    3,804
1 hour ago, moops said:

Imho Tongyik is slow, error prone and surprisingly can't jump, he is probably more suitable for DM unless he improves himself.

La Rocca is card prone and I'm not certain of his quality.

Muscat shouldn't play CD or RB, he should be only considered for the Malik enforcer role.

So unless Bart moves into CD, we are weak there, but have depth with La Rocca and Tongyik.

Pierias impressed with his cameo I think to be given a chance and Muscat can fill in or Bart if he royally fucks up.

That's my thinking on the matter.

 

Tongyik's biggest problem is his defensive positioning, hopefully, this can be improved  with the combined efforts of Jakobson and our coach

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
malloy    3,157
2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

and in the past having a lot of cunt has just got us well and truly rogered defensively

When have we had a cuntish team before? Bruno and Brandan have shown grit at times, but generally our team has always lacked any mongrel about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
haz    2,092
Just now, belaguttman said:

Tongyik's biggest problem is his defensive positioning, hopefully, this can be improved  with the combined efforts of Jakobson and our coach

From Memory Tongyik was much better when he had Jakobsen beside him. People have to remember that he was paired with Malik or Muscat most of last season.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Missing_Moy    27
3 hours ago, moops said:

Golecovic

Pierias-Jacobsen-Bart-Jamieson

Malik-Killa

Marcin

Fitzy-Fornaroli-Arzani

 

Boozanis, Cahill, Bratten, Kamau, La Rocca

When Brandan is fit I would put him in LW and put Arzani in instead of Fitzy. I would even consider Genreaou instead of Bratts tbh for ballance, unless La Rocca can play DM enforcer.

The HAL really needs 2 more sub's on the bench.

Where's Mauk? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moops    238
Just now, belaguttman said:

Tongyik's biggest problem is his defensive positioning, hopefully, this can be improved  with the combined efforts of Jakobson and our coach

Sure, but that's mostly experience so I didn't mention it.

Watching our games and the U23's, with his hight, I never see him jump and be a force to be reckoned with. Imho even if he rectified that aspect, he could become a good CB. Pluss he loves to dribble, which isn't bad for a CB, but more suitable in other positions.

But if you lack speed and can't be a force in the air, you shouldn't be a CB, you have to be good at at least one, both to be an amazing player.

That's not to say he can't improve, or play a different position, he has obvious quality, I personally think he is more suited to a DM role.

Hope I am making sense.

12 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Where's Mauk? 

Lol, tbh I forgot about him :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, malloy said:

When have we had a cuntish team before? Bruno and Brandan have shown grit at times, but generally our team has always lacked any mongrel about it.

For the last 2 seasons we have we have won the yellow card count and the total bookings for each season.

Kilkenny and Brandan are 2 of the most cynical players in the league. The likes of Franjic, Muscat, Jakobsen, Bouzanis, Fornaroli and Fitzgerald never take a backwards step. Hell, even Luke Brattan seems to pick a fight with an opponent every match.

We have had mongrel and fight (and individual brilliance) for years but we consistently get out coached by opponents. We have no tricks up our sleeve other than blind effort.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
malloy    3,157
34 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

For the last 2 seasons we have we have won the yellow card count and the total bookings for each season.

Kilkenny and Brandan are 2 of the most cynical players in the league. The likes of Franjic, Muscat, Jakobsen, Bouzanis, Fornaroli and Fitzgerald never take a backwards step. Hell, even Luke Brattan seems to pick a fight with an opponent every match.

We have had mongrel and fight (and individual brilliance) for years but we consistently get out coached by opponents. We have no tricks up our sleeve other than blind effort.

Yellow cards for shit tackles (ineffective poorly timed challenges, opposed to hard ones that put the fear in attackers) and cards for bitching and whinging doesn't count as having some cunt.

Brattan picking fights is merely him looking to get a reaction from opposition players, he is literally just trolling other players. He does it all the time with the crowd too especially victory. You will see him just stand there smiling at the North Terrace winding them up. It is also evident in how he plays in that he always looks to embarrass opposition players.

I will concede that I forgot about Kilkenny having cunt in him, I would say it is one of the reasons why he was our best player last season. Brandan definitely has it in him, thats when he is trying to get the ball from a player it is literally like his life depends on it.  

I won't deny we have blind effort in the team, but that is a different trait to having grit and determination. i.e. take no prisoners style of play.

 

Just on a side note I do agree that tactically we have been quite inept, but that is on JVS not any characteristics of the players.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
belaguttman    3,804
51 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

For the last 2 seasons we have we have won the yellow card count and the total bookings for each season.

Kilkenny and Brandan are 2 of the most cynical players in the league. The likes of Franjic, Muscat, Jakobsen, Bouzanis, Fornaroli and Fitzgerald never take a backwards step. Hell, even Luke Brattan seems to pick a fight with an opponent every match.

We have had mongrel and fight (and individual brilliance) for years but we consistently get out coached by opponents. We have no tricks up our sleeve other than blind effort.

Most yellow cards indicate a mistake made somewhere else up the field, a mistake that has put our player under pressure: sloppy turnovers, ineffective passes, too much space between the lines and most usually, poor positioning. If we are going to be cunts then we need to be the type of cunts that deny satisfaction to the dicks on the other team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moops    238
4 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Most yellow cards indicate a mistake made somewhere else up the field, a mistake that has put our player under pressure: sloppy turnovers, ineffective passes, too much space between the lines and most usually, poor positioning. If we are going to be cunts then we need to be the type of cunts that deny satisfaction to the dicks on the other team

Lol, I like the way you put it.

6 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Most yellow cards indicate a mistake made somewhere else up the field, a mistake that has put our player under pressure: sloppy turnovers, ineffective passes, too much space between the lines and most usually, poor positioning. If we are going to be cunts then we need to be the type of cunts that deny satisfaction to the dicks on the other team

That's the thing, Malik is probably our best tackler, but instead of screening the back 4, he has been part of it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moops    238
2 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

Where's Mauk? 

Galecovic

Bart-Jacobsen-La Rocca

Malik

Kamau-Marcin-Mauk-Jaimieson

Cahill-Fornaroli

Boozanis, Killa, Genreaou, Tongyik, Arzani

 

 

 

Better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jw1739    7,104
1 hour ago, moops said:

Lol, I like the way you put it.

That's the thing, Malik is probably our best tackler, but instead of screening the back 4, he has been part of it.

I rate Malik as a dreadful tackler. He turns his back almost every time.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moops    238
3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I rate Malik as a dreadful tackler. He turns his back almost every time.

That's not tackling, that's when he attempts to block.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fensaddler    438

Am I the only one thinking this?  If we are all trying to put together first elevens and even sixteens, and finding that we are leaving out players we or others rate, is that not an indication of the depth of our squad?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
haz    2,092
29 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Am I the only one thinking this?  If we are all trying to put together first elevens and even sixteens, and finding that we are leaving out players we or others rate, is that not an indication of the depth of our squad?

Of course we have good depth ( I would come close to saying best in the comp), but its playing the right players in their best positions. Malik or Brattan?, Mauk or VISA CAM?, Kamau or Fitzy? Arzani or Kamau? La Rocca or Tonyik? Muscat or Pierias? Bort or Tonyik?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jovan    3,080
27 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Am I the only one thinking this?  If we are all trying to put together first elevens and even sixteens, and finding that we are leaving out players we or others rate, is that not an indication of the depth of our squad?

Spot on. If that Bort and Budweizer dudes are signed we will have 16 players all capable of starting. All I hope is that they are selected on form and to fit a particular role. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
haz    2,092

Our Depth (One Position per Player):

* Denotes my first choice

Goal Keeper:

*Eugene Galekovic

Dean Bouzanis

 

Left Back

*Scott Jamieson

 

Center Back

*Michael Jakobsen

*Bart Schenkeveld (Not confirmed)

Ruon Tongyik

Lacapo La Rocca

 

Right Back

*Dylan Pierias

Manny Muscat

 

Center/Defending Midfield

*Neil Kilkenny

Osama Malik

Denis Genreau

 

Centre/Attacking Midfield

*Marcin Budziński (Not confirmed)

*Stefan Mauk

Luke Brattan

 

Left Wing

*Fernando Brandan

Daniel Arzani

 

Right Wing

*Nick Fitzgerald

Bruce Kamau

 

Striker

*Bruno Fornaroli

Tim Cahill

Braedyn Corwley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fensaddler    438
42 minutes ago, haz said:

Of course we have good depth ( I would come close to saying best in the comp), but its playing the right players in their best positions. Malik or Brattan?, Mauk or VISA CAM?, Kamau or Fitzy? Arzani or Kamau? La Rocca or Tonyik? Muscat or Pierias? Bort or Tonyik?

Those are the good problems to have.

19 minutes ago, haz said:

Our Depth (One Position per Player):

* Denotes my first choice

Goal Keeper:

*Eugene Galekovic

Dean Bouzanis

 

Left Back

*Scott Jamieson

 

Center Back

*Michael Jakobsen

*Bart Schenkeveld (Not confirmed)

Ruon Tongyik

Lacapo La Rocca

 

Right Back

*Dylan Pierias

Manny Muscat

 

Center/Defending Midfield

*Neil Kilkenny

Osama Malik

Denis Genreau

 

Centre/Attacking Midfield

*Marcin Budziński (Not confirmed)

*Stefan Mauk

Luke Brattan

 

Left Wing

*Fernando Brandan

Daniel Arzani

 

Right Wing

*Nick Fitzgerald

Bruce Kamau

 

Striker

*Bruno Fornaroli

Tim Cahill

Braedyn Corwley

Plus several of those can play in other positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
haz    2,092
12 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

1. Those are the good problems to have.

 

2. Plus several of those can play in other positions.

1. Yes the best problem to have, it's down to the coach to utilize and solve it. If Wazza does typical JVS and Valkanis selections then we might as well accept 4th and a semi final exit.

 

2. Yep, only included 1 position so it would not be a cluster fuck.  LW and RW can play both, same as LB and RB. Brattan can play CDM CM or CAM, Cahill can play CM, CAM, ST, Arzani can play CAM, Malik and La Rocca can play CDM and CB etc. etc.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mus-28    2,293

Cahill, Mauk, Brattan, Kilkenny & Budzinski all fighting over a maximum of 3 central midfield slots plus Malik and Fitzy are able to slot in, yet we have Manny Muscat as our only established right back. I would've preferred we keep Franjic and do without 1 of Mauk or Brattan and try and find an out and out striker who can come off the bench and cause problems like Simon does for Sydney, running and challenging for everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dylan    4,160
14 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Cahill, Mauk, Brattan, Kilkenny & Budzinski all fighting over a maximum of 3 central midfield slots plus Malik and Fitzy are able to slot in, yet we have Manny Muscat as our only established right back. I would've preferred we keep Franjic and do without 1 of Mauk or Brattan and try and find an out and out striker who can come off the bench and cause problems like Simon does for Sydney, running and challenging for everything.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Cahill play this role given this is probably how he would be deployed at the World Cup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jovan    3,080
11 hours ago, haz said:

Our Depth (One Position per Player):

* Denotes my first choice

Goal Keeper:

*Eugene Galekovic

Dean Bouzanis

 

Left Back

*Scott Jamieson

 

Center Back

*Michael Jakobsen

*Bart Schenkeveld (Not confirmed)

Ruon Tongyik

Lacapo La Rocca

 

Right Back

*Dylan Pierias

Manny Muscat

 

Center/Defending Midfield

*Neil Kilkenny

Osama Malik

Denis Genreau

 

Centre/Attacking Midfield

*Marcin Budziński (Not confirmed)

*Stefan Mauk

Luke Brattan

 

Left Wing

*Fernando Brandan

Daniel Arzani

 

Right Wing

*Nick Fitzgerald

Bruce Kamau

 

Striker

*Bruno Fornaroli

Tim Cahill

Braedyn Corwley

22 players!  Thats some serious squad.  Even if Pierias Crowley Genreau Tongyik Arzani dont play much that's still 17 senior A League quality players.

It will be very interesting how Wazza goes about working out his best XI. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fensaddler    438
1 minute ago, Jovan said:

22 players!  Thats some serious squad.  Even if Pierias Crowley Genreau Tongyik Arzani dont play much that's still 17 senior A League quality players.

It will be very interesting how Wazza goes about working out his best XI. 

 

Assuming we get Bart and Marcin, I'd agree.  That looks a decent squad.  There has been some canny work pulling this together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bt50    3,335
2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

22 players!  Thats some serious squad.  Even if Pierias Crowley Genreau Tongyik Arzani dont play much that's still 17 senior A League quality players.

It will be very interesting how Wazza goes about working out his best XI. 

 

We have Cavallo as back up at LB, as well as Bort and Manny who have played there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
playmaker    892
28 minutes ago, bt50 said:

We have Cavallo as back up at LB, as well as Bort and Manny who have played there.

Cavallo looks like he has good potentional in any position on that left side. Good luck to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, haz said:

2. Yep, only included 1 position so it would not be a cluster fuck.  LW and RW can play both, same as LB and RB. Brattan can play CDM CM or CAM, Cahill can play CM, CAM, ST, Arzani can play CAM, Malik and La Rocca can play CDM and CB etc. etc.

Nando can play CAM well too, in my opinion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×