Melbourne Football

Round 15 vs Adelaide 12th January, Thursday

kingofhearts

3 hours ago, melby said:

For people saying tongyik best player can I ask who was at fault for both our goals? Foul from tongyik lead to goal from free kick and second goal he lost guardialo on the counter and was daydreaming while the ball was in air to allow him to play Adelaide attacker through.

im all for ball playing defenders, when they can defend. That's where this club is confused. All the fans are sitting here saying they love tongyik because he is a good ball player (ie city style) yet they aren't happy losing? Look at the amount of goals the kid has conceded. If you want nice "city style" players then don't complain when we don't win. 

sydney fc are winning the league because they don't concede goals. We have scored in every game from memory, shore the defence up and we jump up the table. But that's not "city style"

Tongyik was responsible for the foul that led to the goal but Malik didn't track McGowan and allowed him a free header.

Not only are we conceding every game but we are scoring less that last season. We are conceding 1.7 goals per game and are usually scoring 1, sometimes 2. 2 goals scored will usually get us a draw, we need to score 3 or even 4 to win but despite leading the League in 'goals into the box' stat we are much less efficient that we were last season at converting our chances. Bruno is playing to far up the park and is less effective, service to Bruno and to Timmy is ineffective

• Like 1

14 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I just see naive positioning, pressing at the wrong time, not closing down with that extra bit of effort, probably related to constantly being one step behind. Not hustling for the second ball enough, moving the ball too slowly with slow ball movement

It's blind effort. No organisation. No coordination. No system.

Its infuriating when you see how well organised other teams are defensively.

Considering posting this up on City Voice because I think we've got to the point where we need answers. How much is the 'City Way' affecting the coaching staff in our approach. Are we being held back because of the way CFG wants us to play and how much influence do they have on the coach from game to game. I want answers from the club because at the moment we are sticking with a game plan that doesn work and hasn't for 3 years for the sake of the CFG way of football. 

• Like 1

I'm getting more and more irritated with our million dollar man Tim Cahill, who can't keep a simple ball or get passed a defender. I recall several times during the Adelaide game in the first half, a easy or good pass was spoiled, just jumped of his foot whilst a control or turn would have created a good opportunity! You can't setup play with him either as he can't run and doesn't follow through. Football skills are just extremely average (not with the head), I dare to say that Josh Rose can keep a ball up longer than Tim Cahill.

Thank you Timmy for a couple of goals but you are the past now, we need players to carry this team and not a team who carries Tim Cahill.

First thing I look at is how players control the ball and turn their bodies, hence people who crack it at Franjic have no absolutely no clue about football as his touch for a full back is above average in this league.

Edited by Mr MO

Well, I was up-country from Thursday morning and didn't even know the result until now (Saturday afternoon). After reading through all your comments, I just cannot comprehend how Valkanis can have said the following (taken from the club web-site).

City Head Coach Michael Valkanis says it’s not all doom and gloom for his side as they were defeated by a spirited Adelaide United on Thursday night.

Returning to the town where he made a name for himself as a player and coach, Valkanis and City were unable to record back-to-back wins in the league, going down to the Reds after a 87th minute counter attack resulted in Mark Ochieng finding the winner.

The loss was not all negative for City, controlling proceedings and dominating possession - especially in the second half - and the interim boss admitted his side needs to be more clinical and aggressive in the final third.

“When you are dominating and playing in your attacking half and Adelaide is hitting direct balls, that is going to happen,” Valkanis said.

"I thought even in the first half, we dominated [the majority of the half] and we created a beautiful goal, and maybe even a second one with [Nicolas] Colazo, which I’d like to have a look [to see] if it was offside or not.

“I think we had them against the wall for some time and completely dominated and the [statistics] show that as well. But unfortunately one moment with the counter attack and it was a goal [to Adelaide]. 
But Adelaide were desperate today and when they were pinned back they were fighting for their lives, defending the box, desperately, and in the end you have to congratulate them on getting the three points.”

Despite the loss, City remain in third position, waiting on the result of Brisbane and Victory on Friday night and Valkanis is confident his side can mount a charge to the Championship, saying his side have shown enough this season to beat any team in the league.

“I think we’re good enough…. When I look at today’s effort from the boys, you can’t take away how hard they worked or how they played football, to pin Adelaide back, away from home.

“From the way they [the City players] played, they showed they were capable and that’s football sometimes; you can dominate and one moment, one counter attack in the second half, that’s what cost us the game.”

“Moving forward I think we’re comfortable. We’ll be OK. We dropped some points here in Adelaide; it was their do-or-die game as well… Understanding their situation they were going to give everything and we knew it would be [like] a Grand Final. I think our players gave everything and tried their hearts out.

City will look to bounce back this Thursday night as they take on the Central Coast Mariners at AAMI Park, kick-off 7.50pm. 

I mean, clearly some of this stuff is just complete bullshit. I can't think that Valkanis actually believes any of it. There is nothing positive about a defeat by the bottom club in the league - nothing whatsoever.

What is the best way for us to get our thoughts to the club? Clearly just ranting on here is not going to achieve anything. We could try posting on City Voice, but I'm pretty sure no-one at the club takes any notice of what is posted there unless they agree with it.

Any ideas?

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, I was up-country from Thursday morning and didn't even know the result until now (Saturday afternoon). After reading through all your comments, I just cannot comprehend how Valkanis can have said the following (taken from the club web-site).

City Head Coach Michael Valkanis says it’s not all doom and gloom for his side as they were defeated by a spirited Adelaide United on Thursday night.

Returning to the town where he made a name for himself as a player and coach, Valkanis and City were unable to record back-to-back wins in the league, going down to the Reds after a 87th minute counter attack resulted in Mark Ochieng finding the winner.

The loss was not all negative for City, controlling proceedings and dominating possession - especially in the second half - and the interim boss admitted his side needs to be more clinical and aggressive in the final third.

“When you are dominating and playing in your attacking half and Adelaide is hitting direct balls, that is going to happen,” Valkanis said.

"I thought even in the first half, we dominated [the majority of the half] and we created a beautiful goal, and maybe even a second one with [Nicolas] Colazo, which I’d like to have a look [to see] if it was offside or not.

“I think we had them against the wall for some time and completely dominated and the [statistics] show that as well. But unfortunately one moment with the counter attack and it was a goal [to Adelaide]. 
But Adelaide were desperate today and when they were pinned back they were fighting for their lives, defending the box, desperately, and in the end you have to congratulate them on getting the three points.”

Despite the loss, City remain in third position, waiting on the result of Brisbane and Victory on Friday night and Valkanis is confident his side can mount a charge to the Championship, saying his side have shown enough this season to beat any team in the league.

“I think we’re good enough…. When I look at today’s effort from the boys, you can’t take away how hard they worked or how they played football, to pin Adelaide back, away from home.

“From the way they [the City players] played, they showed they were capable and that’s football sometimes; you can dominate and one moment, one counter attack in the second half, that’s what cost us the game.”

“Moving forward I think we’re comfortable. We’ll be OK. We dropped some points here in Adelaide; it was their do-or-die game as well… Understanding their situation they were going to give everything and we knew it would be [like] a Grand Final. I think our players gave everything and tried their hearts out.

City will look to bounce back this Thursday night as they take on the Central Coast Mariners at AAMI Park, kick-off 7.50pm. 

I mean, clearly some of this stuff is just complete bullshit. I can't think that Valkanis actually believes any of it. There is nothing positive about a defeat by the bottom club in the league - nothing whatsoever.

What is the best way for us to get our thoughts to the club? Clearly just ranting on here is not going to achieve anything. We could try posting on City Voice, but I'm pretty sure no-one at the club takes any notice of what is posted there unless they agree with it.

Any ideas?

Does that city fan group still have meetings each month?

If not I'd talk to the people who used to be involved to help get in contact with the club to have another one asap

Edited by haz

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Well if you know it is going to happen do something about it. It's your responsibility.

You are the manager FFS 

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Well if you know it is going to happen do something about it. 

You are the manager FFS 

Im starting to take comments like this as meaning "we have a set style of play that I cannot deviate from. As a consequence of us trying to dominate possession in oppositions half as we're set out to do by our playing philosophy from CFG it's going to happen that the other team will hit direct balls." 

Edited by n i k o

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Im starting to take comments like this as meaning "we have a set style of play that I cannot deviate from. As a consequence of us trying to dominate possession in oppositions half as we're set out to do by our playing philosophy from CFG it's going to happen that the other team will hit direct balls." 

I'm taking comments like this to mean "I haven't got a fucking clue on how to manage a football team so I'm doing what JvS used to do but hope I get luckier than he did."

• Like 2