Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

47 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I still think he fluked it at Adeliade. I reckon it was all Gombau and he came in and tweaked one or two things. This guy is a huge risk. 

It's funny, I was really baffled with their performance this season so I analysed the game against the tards. They play well and out played the opposition with a very balanced game but couldn't convert while opening up the tards defence quite easily. It seems to be a consistent theme this season. They were the better team on the pitch, better tactics and strategies so I am on the fence with Amor's abilities even though I would say he would be a huge improvement over JVS.

9 hours ago, playmaker said:

That is just not a fair interpretation of the article. Just media speculation. The complete article below. You can read anything into this "links with CFG" theme - CFG is a big organization and has links all over the place.

MELBOURNE City are set to make an audacious bid to rob an A-League rival in an attempt to replace John van’t Schip, who shocked everyone by resigning on Tuesday.

Van’t Schip returned to the Netherlands to be with his ill father, with City immediately inundated with a host of applications within 24 hours of the announcement.

And now, Fox Sports understands Adelaide United coach Gui Amor is a key contender, as City look set to “pillage” their A-League rivals.

“Melbourne City adhere to the City Football Group’s philosophy which is basically the Spanish style of play,” John Kosmina explained on Fox Sports’ Sunday Shootout. “My mail was on, and I suggested him, Josep Gombau as he was linked about 12 months ago before he came back with the Socceroos.

“I have also heard maybe Gui Amor [could take over]. If you look at the Barcelona connection there, there’s a lot of stories in Adelaide about Melbourne City.

“You’ve got Michael Petrillo and Michael Valkanis in the football staff at City and there’s talk they’ll get Isaias next season with Sergio Cirio going there too.

“They’re basically going to pillage the Adelaide Spanish connection.”

In recent weeks, Amor has also been linked with a shock move to become Pep Guardiola’s assistant coach at Manchester City, strengthening the rumours of a link up with City Football Group.

Gombau also had been linked with the New York City job in the MLS after leaving Adelaide (another of the City-branded clubs) before working with former Melbourne City guest player David Villa with his academy in Puerto Rico

With Valkanis taking over on an interim basis, City have reshuffled the coaching set up of their entire club – including the W-League and youth set up – in the wake of Van’t Schip’s decision.

But while Amor’s name has emerged, there has also been talk that a former Premier League and FA Cup finalist manager could throw their hat into the ring as an option.

“The three of us were going through FA Cup finalists coaches over the last 10 years,” Mark Bosnich said on Shootout. “I’ve had it on very good authority that it’s not either of Alan Pardew and Tim Sherwood.

“In that case, the other [options] are: Alan Curbishley, Avram Grant, who is with Ghana at the moment, Steve Bruce, who is with Aston Villa, Kenny Dalglish, Dennis Wise, Gordon Strachan or David Jones who coached Cardiff against Portsmouth back in 2008.

“Out of all of them, no one really jumps out at you to say ‘ok that sounds right’. Maybe Avram Grant but he’s with Ghana and he’s got the African Cup of Nations right now.

Amor to leave Adelaide for us mid season is completely fanciful. Next season more likely but still a stretch. 

Our senior coaching job in my standard uninformed oponion will be filled by someone that will become part of the CFG coaching setup. Similar to Viera at NYC. 

Question for any Manchester posters,  are there possibles from EDS or NYC setups? 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Amor to leave Adelaide for us mid season is completely fanciful. Next season more likely but still a stretch. 

Our senior coaching job in my standard uninformed oponion will be filled by someone that will become part of the CFG coaching setup. Similar to Viera at NYC. 

Question for any Manchester posters,  are there possibles from EDS or NYC setups? 

Agreed. If we were going to make such an immediate appointment why would we bother with all the "changes in the coaching mandates?"

1 hour ago, neio said:

60 applicants just after a day JvS announced his resignation !.. Doubt that will be the case back in Heart days.. But not Pardew please.. no disrespect to him but we need someone better. Juande Ramos please.. as he has that Spanish connection..

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Melburnian said:

Marcelino a top choice who is Spanish, great winning percentage, managed big clubs, good age (51). 

Ticks all the boxes as well. Get it done CFG.

And was sacked after a brawl in the change rooms.

Atleast he's no pussy.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jovan said:

Agree with him coming to us is fanciful. But leaving Adelaide mid season is very likely. 

On 08/01/2017 at 11:20 PM, Jovan said:

I really liked Jason Wilcox, who I thought did wonders with the U-18s in Manchester, but he got passed up for promotion when Vieira (who was at that point EDS manager) went to NYC, so I suspect CFG doesn't think he's there yet. Simon Davies could be being lined up for something, but I doubt it. As for the NYC set-up, they're really building their youth academy slowly. They started off in 2015 with just an u-13/14 team and expanded last year to split the team up in u-13 and u-14 (because of changes to their league organisation) and added a u-16 team. However, while the u-16 team did really well last year, their coaches are virtual unknowns, even by the end of the season. The only name that ever gets talked about there is Christian Lattanzio, who has worked for CFG since 2010 and IIRC has Barcelona connections of some sort or something like that, though he's more of a youth coordinator, and again I don't think he's being lined up for a move into management.

So to cut a long story short - no-one that I can think of, no.

Tbh don’t know that much about him style wise so probably not fit to comment. Still, he’s coached Chelsea and taken them to runner up in CL Final; the one Terry slipped on the winning pen from memory, so he has to be at least half decent. Sounds a good get on face value at least.

Edited by bt50

11 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Tbh don’t know that much about him style wise so probably not fit to comment. Still, he’s coached Chelsea and taken them to runner up in CL Final; the one Terry slipped on the winning pen from memory, so he has to be at least half decent. Sounds a good get on face value at least.

Tbh that finals appearance was, imo, down to Steve Clarke and a few players playing for a new contract. AG struggled with the big names in the club and barely had control of the change room. 

1 hour ago, raw10 said:

tbh..I am not that keen on Grant and defo could do better..

The ambitious Australian side are keen on signing the former Chelsea manager to handle their technical department to boost their fortunes.

Could be a translation/interpretation issue, but could it be we're actually looking at him to fill a Director of Football role, rather than as the actual manager? It's probably worth noting he's held that kind of role a number of times and find it appealing to return to it in the CFG structure.

Grant is known in Israel for giving a chance to young players in almost every club he coached, such as Alon Hazan and goalkeeper Raffi Cohen at Petah Tikva, Avi Nimni and Itzik Zohar at Maccabi Tel Aviv, Gal Alberman in the Israeli team, and many more. Grant famously did not include Israeli star Eyal Berkovic in the national squad during 2005, saying he wanted to create "a younger team", but, nonetheless, retaining 34-year-old Avi Nimni. In 2007, Berkovic described the way Grant became Chelsea's manager as "disgusting" and "disrespectful".[20] Another known critic of Grant in Israel is Shlomo Scharf, who was Israel's coach during most of the 1990s.

Grant, as is also the case with another coach from Petah Tikva, past Israel coach Dror Kashtan, is considered one of the most successful Israeli coaches. He has a reputation of a lucky winner in Israel, which caused the invention of the frequently used humorous term 'Hatachat shel Avram'. This means 'Avram's Ass', a reference to the allegedly large amount of luck Grant enjoyed during the 2006 World Cup campaign.[21][22]

Congolese forward Lomana LuaLua, presently with Blackpool of the English Premier League, stated that it was Grant's encouragement and emotional support that kept him from ending his career after the loss of his son Yoshuha to pneumonia. Grant was director of football at Portsmouth during LuaLua's stint at the club.[citation needed]

I like this part... "He has a reputation of a lucky winner in Israel"

We could do with some luck after all our unluckiness in the past. 

• Like 1

I liked the mention of Gordon Strachan earlier. The press conferences would become a hell of a lot funnier.

Journo: "Gordon can I have a quick word" GS: "velocity"

5 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Apart from Chelsea he also has the experience of managing teams without unlimited budgets, something useful in a salary capped league

I think many pundits under rate this aspect.

need a coach who can manage a team that will have Roses & Ramsays to balance the books

39 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I liked the mention of Gordon Strachan earlier. The press conferences would become a hell of a lot funnier.

Journo: "Gordon can I have a quick word" GS: "velocity"

You can't get much more stubborn  then the Israelis. 

3 hours ago, haz said:

Well all the 'rumors' and timeline of things meet up, I'd expect to see him here right after the ACON even if he still has a week left in his contract.

Grant is on the list that you posted earlier. Wouldn't surprise me if the journos are simply using that list as one of the "Sources close to Melbourne City" and building the rumour on that. Grant's record is pretty good except at Portsmouth and West Ham, but at 61 doesn't seem the sort of manager that CFG would appoint to one of the lesser teams in their stable - I would have expected someone a little younger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Grant is on the list that you posted earlier. Wouldn't surprise me if the journos are simply using that list as one of the "Sources close to Melbourne City" and building the rumour on that. Grant's record is pretty good except at Portsmouth and West Ham, but at 61 doesn't seem the sort of manager that CFG would appoint to one of the lesser teams in their stable - I would have expected someone a little younger.

He feels a bit of a has been.  I'm not enthusiastic.  I sense we can do better.

Melbourne City must make a statement with new manager selection

By Evan Morgan Grahame, 10 Jan 2017

While the Melbourne City supports bade John van’t Schip a sympathetic adieu, few of them were all that upset he’d vacated the manager’s position.

The reasons for his departure – the poor health of his father – were not those you would wish on anyone, but his decision to leave has given City an enticing task.

Filling the vacancy has become, from all reports, a matter of simply picking from a teeming tree of applications. However, their choice should be more than simply hiring a new fellow to scribble the Xs and Os on the whiteboard and spout cliches to the media. At this grand chapter in City’s story, this hiring needs to be a grand statement.

The post is yearning for reputation. The current interim, Michael Valkanis, won his first game in charge, earning in the process City’s first clean sheet since Round 1. But it was not a vintage performance, as solid as the logical defensive reshuffle was. Besides, now is not the moment to be nurturing through a prospective manager from within. Now is the time source sensationally from outside.

But who to pluck?

It will be, undoubtedly, a European. The position offers considerable potential for further movement within the City Group; New York, Yokohama and Manchester the current alternative destinations, with further City Group ventures no doubt to come. The attractiveness of this is considerable, and yet the Melbourne franchise cannot expect to lure one football’s elite unemployed to their doors.

Of the available managers unlikely to be swayed by the chance to work with Manny Muscat, Roberto Mancini – an ex-employee of the City Group – Louis van Gaal, Frank de Boer and Marco Bielsa can probably be thrown into the fantasy category.

But there are still some well-known names out there.

Rumours abounded a few days ago that an ex-Premier League manager that had taken their team to an FA Cup final was imminently arriving to make a presentation. Alan Pardew fits that bill, as does Tim Sherwood, with the latter currently the Director of Football at Swindon Town. Avram Grant technically fits the bill too, though as a West Ham fan I’d advise vigorously against that particular option.

Pardew tends to do extremely well after arriving at a new club, only for his team’s form to drop off a cliff somewhere during season two – sort of the managerial equivalent of the show True Detective. He would certainly be able to get more goals from this City attack than are currently dripping out of it at the moment.

Francesco Guidolin, most recently sacked rather suddenly by Swansea City, showed – in spite of his dismissal – that he was a capable manager able to oversee a ball-playing side.

Cesare Prandelli, the most recent piece of flotsam to escape the sinking hot mess that is Valencia, might make an intriguing applicant.

As to the recent link to Adelaide United manager Gui Amor, well, sourcing from the bottom of the competition seems an unwise move, both in appearance and practice. It would be something of an unwelcome let-down, and – having lured Bruce Kamau from the Reds over the off-season – would be a further cannibalisation of the beleaguered reigning champions.

But above all else, this is a team in need of an authoritative hand, applied firmly but fairly.

City have meandered through matches this season, drawing when they should have won, and lurched diabolically through others, drawing when they could easily have lost. Their squad is one of the most handsomely assembled in A-League history, and yet has under-performed in what is undoubtedly their marquee season, led as they are by Australia’s greatest player. Their defensive record is closer to the quite often shambolic Perth’s tally than it is to league leaders Sydney. They’ve only scored three more goals than Newcastle.

An appointment, at this moment, to make the players all sit up straight and pay attention – instead of lazily coasting on cruise control – will make good the pre-season predictions for them, of grand final victories and glorious homecomings.

Who knows, the new manager may well be handed some money to splash about in January. But he will have to be appointed soon. Sydney FC are 13 full points above City, a gaping deficit to bridge if a minor premiership is still to be pursued. Meandering as they have done into the finals, hoping the higher stakes slap them awake would be reckless.

Action is the most resounding kind of statement, and City now must act with audacity.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/01/10/melbourne-citys-new-manager-must-statement/