Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

1 hour ago, haz said:

Interesting that nothing there says Valkanis will be there till the end of the season.

Agree. The article doesn't say anything more than "interim" but a tweet from the club does say "for the rest of the season."

TBH I'm not as excited about van 't Schip's departure as I was two days ago. Looks as though we can expect more of the same.

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Agree. The article doesn't say anything more than "interim" but a tweet from the club does say "for the rest of the season."

TBH I'm not as excited about van 't Schip's departure as I was two days ago. Looks as though we can expect more of the same.

I guess it means that we will see the same formation and playing style, but it's down to Valkanis to be a better man motivator and his individual tactics against the current opposition.

34 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

It implies it though. Why make so many changes is it's not for the remainder of the season?

Well yeah it looks like a lot of changes on paper but I'd say in reality it's little difference to what is happening already, just a bit short staffed. They obviously left it open ended in case the coach they want pops up and the deal is done quickly or any current negotiations are faster than expected 

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Osvaldo de Oliveira Age: 66: 'Ideal candidate' - The Brazilian has a wealth of knowledge. He coached J-League side Kashima Antlers from 2007-11 (and beat Sydney FC twice in the ACL 2011). Also coached in Qatar, but mainly in Brazil. Last coached Corinthians and Sport Recife in 2016.

Ernie Merrick: Age 63: 'Ticks all boxes' - What a sensational appointment that would be. City would stick it to Victory by appointing their former coach who knows the A-League well, has had major success and is expert in developing young talent. -

Harry Kewell: Age 38: 'Popular choice' - The legend of the Socceroos has stated he'd like to coach in the A-League and clearly he'd have the respect of the players. Currently coaching Watford's U-23s. A former Heart player too

Tony Popovic: Age 43: 'Smart choice' - For a club like City, success on the continental stage is the next step. 'Popa' knows what it takes, has the respect and admiration required for a big club like City and if his vision matches City's, he'd be a fabulous addition. Was recently targeted by Shanghai Shenhua

Juande Ramos: Age 62: 'Great choice' - UEFA Pro Licence, and EPL experience with Spurs and six months with Real Madrid. He last coached Malaga till December last year and has a wealth of experience in Spain.

Frank Lampard: Age 38 'Outside chance' - Left Melbourne City's US sister club New York late last year but is still being linked with English clubs as a player, but as a coach he'd bring experience from 106 England caps, three EPL titles, a UCL winner’s medal and four FA Cups winner's medals. 

http://www.a-league.com.au/photo-gallery/6-candidates-for-melbourne-city-coaching-job-1g12rp6tyzbsq15pjshbv9lh8j

Osvaldo would be good.

I think Merrick is looking after a sick family member as well, but I would be reserved if he got the gig.

Kewell would need to get his pro licence to coach in the HAL, on the daily football show he said he only had his A licence.

I wouldn't mind Popa

Juande Ramos would be amazing, he has also coached smaller clubs in Eastern Europe of late, so could be a chance.

Lampard would be to inexperienced you would think and probably doesn't have his pro licence.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Haha yeh there's no way known CFG are going to appoint a coach with no first team experience.
The only person I can see it being that's not managed a senior team already is Milicic and that's due to his impressive apprenticeship.

You need a pro licence to be head coach in the HAL, either from FFA or Uefa.

• Like 1

One thing that has not entered in this thread is the salary. Now CFG have said they will spend the appropriate amount on the club but I wonder how much some of the coaches listed above command salary wise. We know that JVS was somewhere between $400k and $700k/season but I suspect some of the above may command much greater salaries. Also, a translator may also be required.

7 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

One thing that has not entered in this thread is the salary. Now CFG have said they will spend the appropriate amount on the club but I wonder how much some of the coaches listed above command salary wise. We know that JVS was somewhere between $400k and $700k/season but I suspect some of the above may command much greater salaries. Also, a translator may also be required.

I could be wrong, but I thought JVS was on 800k p/y, pretty sure he was when he replaced Aloisi, why would he drop his wage demands?

You could get some pretty good coaches for that kind of money.

Most people speak english nowadays, it's becoming a universal language.

Edited by moops

4 minutes ago, moops said:

I could be wrong, but I thought JVS was on 800k p/y, pretty sure he was when he replaced Aloisi, why would he drop his wage demands?

You could get some pretty good coaches for that kind of money.

Most people speak english nowadays, it's becoming a universal language.

I was going by Michael Lynch's article in the Age which claimed $400k to $700k.

And although most Europeans under the age of 40 speak English, those over rarely do. And certainly in Latin America it is not as common as it is in Europe.

I do agree we should find some pretty good coaches for that money but whether they attract CFG's attention is a different matter.

Ramos did play for Tottenham Hotspur, only for a year, but his english might not be the worst, he probably coached in English when he went to eastern Europe?

Spanish coaches would be jumping at 800k to coach

Edited by moops

10 hours ago, bt50 said:

Haha yeh there's no way known CFG are going to appoint a coach with no first team experience.
The only person I can see it being that's not managed a senior team already is Milicic and that's due to his impressive apprenticeship.

They did with Patrick Viera at New York.....

24 minutes ago, haz said:

Yea looks the goods. But considering all the teams he has managed have been big, I'm not sure if he will do well with a salary cap.

It's all relative. I think any manager will have the same limitations. Ramos would have enough wisdom and experience coaching the lower and more financially restricted teams to succeed here. Interesting though.

Juande Ramos  - what a flop! His longest spell was in Ukraine (Dnepr) with quite low football level especially after US-sponsored Nazi coup. Everywhere else he's been sacked. Even in Russia where he most definitely could buy some good players.

Number of applicants revealed after John van’t Schip’s shock Melbourne City resignation

MELBOURNE City have been inundated with applicants after the shock resignation of John van’t Schip during the week.

With the club confirming Michael Valkanis will take over on an interim basis ahead of Friday night’s clash with Western Sydney Wanderers, Fox Sports’ Adam Peacock revealed how many interested parties there are to replace the Dutchman.

“I was talking to a couple of City officials before,” Peacock said on Fox Sports’ Kick Off program. “Within one day of John van’t Schip making that announcement [to resign], they had 60 applicants come through the door.

“The word is, and we’re going to speak to the interim manager Michael Valkanis, he might not be an interim because they are going to give him every possible chance to settle in and do a good job over the next couple of weeks.”

Van’t Schip delivered City’s first piece of silverware when they won the FFA Cup in November, but they were on a five game winless run before the news broke.

It was the 53-year-old second stint in charge of the club, having been the inaugural manager before leaving for a stint in Mexico.

John van’t Schip’s record as Melbourne City manager.John van’t Schip’s record as Melbourne City manager.Source: FOX SPORTS

And upon his resignation to return to his ailing father, Van’t Schip granted Valkanis his approval to take the reins.

“I’m ready to do this right night,” Valkanis told Fox Sports. “It’s what we’ve been working towards all these years. It’s too early to discuss what’s going to happen in the future – right now we need results and we need to be playing good football.”

He added: “It was a shock to me when I received a call from JVS saying he was going to resign to go back for his dad.

“He gave me a blessing to go on with it and do it. He had given me a lot of responsibility already, he was a really good manager to work with so not much will change with what goes on out on the training ground.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/number-of-applicants-revealed-after-john-vant-schips-shock-melbourne-city-resignation/news-story/311b94395f055a09196666d0a763afdf

Edited by haz

Out of left field - Eduardo Berizzo current manager of Celta de Vigo in the Spanish La Liga. He did his apprenticeship under Bielsa, then became coach of O'Higgins in the Chilean First Division and took them to their first ever , and only, championship. O'Higgins is a mid-table club with a limited budget - and he took a group of players that were unremarkable to the top, after which many moved to bigger clubs but failed to do anything. He was then poached by Celta de Vigo another mid table club and took them to sixth position their best ever finish. Unfortunately for him, due to financial circumstances they had to sell their better players so last season they finished 13th. He is contracted until June 30 this year.

For me he ticks a number of boxes - has coached a side to a championship in a better league, has coached sides with constrained budgets (equivalent to a salary capped league), has coached in one of the major leagues in the world, and has had a good solid apprenticeship including youth leagues. This means that he will be able to nurture the younger players and has proven tactical nous. Additionally, Celta de Vigo stadium hold 29,500 almost the same number as AAMI; the club membership is not huge; Vigo is a port city as well.

So someone whose CV matches Berizzo would do me.

• Like 3

Roberto Mancini (Won FA Cup in 2010-11)

Roberto Di Matteo (Won FA Cup in 2011-12)

Dave Jones

Avram Grant

Tim Sherwood

Alan Pardew

Kenny Dalglish

Gordon Strachan

Ruud Gullit

Bryan Robson (33%)

Glenn Hoddle

Have I missed any FA cup finalists (Non-winners) who also were in the Premier League (Post 1992)

Edited by haz

2 hours ago, haz said:

Roberto Mancini (Won FA Cup in 2010-11)

Roberto Di Matteo (Won FA Cup in 2011-12)

Dave Jones

Avram Grant

Tim Sherwood

Alan Pardew

Kenny Dalglish

Gordon Strachan

Ruud Gullit

Bryan Robson (33%)

Glenn Hoddle

Have I missed any FA cup finalists (Non-winners) who also were in the Premier League (Post 1992)

I think a few of those can be struck off the list based on the fact that if it was them they would be mentioning the Champions League and not the FA Cup.

• Like 1

After today we see Sydney 13 points clear of us with just 13 matches to play. It will take a miracle to make up that difference, especially with only five home matches left. Hopefully CFG were already part of the way into the selection of a Head Coach for next season so that whoever that turns out to be can at least have some look at the existing squad in action to see what changes he might want to make before next season. Going to be an interesting period.

Edited by jw1739

5 hours ago, playmaker said:

Dutch influence is dead. Bring on more latino influence. Take it away Ricky with your pool party. Watch membership numbers soar!

Edited by HEARTinator

8 hours ago, playmaker said:

No where did they say that he is a 'red hot favourite' and certainly didn't say it would be announced shortly. 

17 minutes ago, Dylan said:

No where did they say that he is a 'red hot favourite' and certainly didn't say it would be announced shortly. 

"MELBOURNE City are set to make an audacious bid to rob an A-League rival in an attempt to replace John van’t Schip,

And now, Fox Sports understands Adelaide United coach Gui Amor is a key contender, as City look set to “pillage” their A-League rivals."

Sorry I took this as he was favourite and it was going to happen shortly 

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

"MELBOURNE City are set to make an audacious bid to rob an A-League rival in an attempt to replace John van’t Schip,

And now, Fox Sports understands Adelaide United coach Gui Amor is a key contender, as City look set to “pillage” their A-League rivals."

Sorry I took this as he was favourite and it was going to happen shortly 

I still think he fluked it at Adeliade. I reckon it was all Gombau and he came in and tweaked one or two things. This guy is a huge risk. 

• Like 2