Jump to content
Melbourne Football
Dylan

Wazza Watch

Recommended Posts

rass    934
12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'd say that's highly likely. If it's true that CFG are just starting now to look for our new man, and with four months to go to the end of the season (including finals) then I doubt that they could go through a proper selection process and get a new man on the job before season's end. Unless they have a ready-made shortlist already.

I agree they would have a short list, but that would have been with next season in mind.

However now it's publicly official he's gone, it would have brought out shit loads of potential applicants from around the world out of the woodwork, eager to join the CFG network.  So they'll need time to trawl through all of those before making a decision, so i think it's highly likely Valkanis will see out the season. 

My thoughts anyway. They may have found the winner already and look to have him in during the transfer window for all we know.

Edited by rass
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dylan    3,949
30 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'd say that's highly likely. If it's true that CFG are just starting now to look for our new man, and with four months to go to the end of the season (including finals) then I doubt that they could go through a proper selection process and get a new man on the job before season's end. Unless they have a ready-made shortlist already.

I would be surprised if at the very least this list wasn't though about  given that JVS said he wouldn't be here next season months ago and I am sure that JVS probably did give notice or an indication that he was thinking of resigning a couple of weeks ago. 

In the end I think it depends on whether they know exactly who they want already and they are in negotiations or this list is legitimate. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
InMyHeart    314
2 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

Yes but to state the bleedin' obvious we need someone with good track record as a coach. We don't need to try out someone who's inexperienced at the highest level - like trawling through the NPL FFS.

HAL championship and premiership silverware winning coaches have points-per-game (PPG), and win ratios like: Arnold (1.78, 50.3%), Ange (1.78, 50.9%), Muscrat (1.75, 50%). Compare that to JVS (1.38, 36.1%) :droy:

Gombau comes in with 1.52 and 43.8% (but with 57 games in the a-league compared to over 100 for GA, AP, KM and JVS).

Top overseas managers have a PPG around 1.75 and close to 2, and win ratios into the 40+%. If this club really wants to taste success and get into Asia it needs to act and recruit the best available (within financial constraints of course).

I think getting an NPL coach for our club would be a disaster and I never stated that I wanted that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
belaguttman    3,682

I wouldn't dismiss Valkanis as permanent coach depending on how his 'work experience trial' over the next few months goes

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
playmaker    788
1 minute ago, belaguttman said:

I wouldn't dismiss Valkanis as permanent coach depending on how his 'work experience trial' over the next few months goes

I agree, he has done his ground work under some decent senior coaches. He has earned the right for an opportunity.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
haz    1,699
10 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I wouldn't dismiss Valkanis as permanent coach depending on how his 'work experience trial' over the next few months goes

I'm all for giving him a chance. But what happens if he goes on a 6 match winning streak, gets signed to a 2-year contract, then becomes a shit Mr 31% then onwards? My preference would be an experienced winning coach with preferable salary cap experience.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
playmaker    788
17 minutes ago, haz said:

I'm all for giving him a chance. But what happens if he goes on a 6 match winning streak, gets signed to a 2-year contract, then becomes a shit Mr 31% then onwards? My preference would be an experienced winning coach with preferable salary cap experience.

Agree, that why he needs to see out the season and if successful, he needs to be on a performance based contract. Any coach, for that matter, should be on this type of deal.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Embee    2,191

He'd have to win at least one more trophy to be in the conversation and both of them to be a serious contender in my book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bt50    3,031
22 minutes ago, Embee said:

He'd have to win at least one more trophy to be in the conversation and both of them to be a serious contender in my book.

IMO he’s already in the conversation, albeit a rank outsider at this point in time.

If he was able to get us to the premiers plate, given how far back we are I’d appoint him regardless of whether we went on to the toilet seat. If he gets us to 2nd place and the toilet seat he’s got a pretty compelling case, whilst second and no toilet seat (but GF loss) he’s a 50%chance imo.
Anything less than second/or gf appearance I’d probably rule him out.

 

All this of course is assuming he was to get a complete run at it until seasons end.

Edited by bt50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rass    934
1 minute ago, bt50 said:

IMO he’s already in the conversation, albeit a rank outsider at this point in time.

If he was able to get us to the premiers plate, given how far back we are I’d appoint him regardless of whether we went on to the toilet seat. If he gets us to 2nd place and the toilet seat he’s got a pretty compelling case, whilst second and no toilet seat he’s a 50%chance imo.
Anything less than second I’d probably rule him out.

 

All this of course is assuming he was to get a complete run at it until seasons end.

Sydney are what, 13 points ahead? We only play them twice so the premier's plate is out of our hands now. Same scenario applies with Victory as we are miles behind them too now.

All he can do is getting us playing winning football so we can give ourselves the best shot at the championship. If we pick up the premier's plate on the way, well good luck to us.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bt50    3,031
4 minutes ago, rass said:

Sydney are what, 13 points ahead? We only play them twice so the premier's plate is out of our hands now. Same scenario applies with Victory as we are miles behind them too now.

All he can do is getting us playing winning football so we can give ourselves the best shot at the championship. If we pick up the premier's plate on the way, well good luck to us.

 

Basically yeh, but id be very confident that winning at least 11 of our last 13 would get us the plate or dangerously close to. Huge ask though.

There aint a snow flakes chance in hell that Sydney won't drop games on the way home. Theyre clearly the best side atm, but not by as much as their record suggests.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fensaddler    334

Plate is beyond us, second will be hard work.  We are just too far behind.  If we can start playing well and winning again, and see how far that gets us.  GF appearance should be our aim, winning it would be a bonus.  Huge achievement to win the final from here, as we'll be playing at least the final away from home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bt50    3,031
5 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Plate is beyond us, second will be hard work.  We are just too far behind.  If we can start playing well and winning again, and see how far that gets us.  GF appearance should be our aim, winning it would be a bonus.  Huge achievement to win the final from here, as we'll be playing at least the final away from home.

Oh absolutely agree that the plate is probably beyond us. All I'm trying to say is that if we did by some miracle achieve it, Valkanis should be appointed No questions asked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mjake1234    222
5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'd say that's highly likely. If it's true that CFG are just starting now to look for our new man, and with four months to go to the end of the season (including finals) then I doubt that they could go through a proper selection process and get a new man on the job before season's end. Unless they have a ready-made shortlist already.

Which, if they actually are on top of everything, they should have as it was always accepted that JVS would leave at the end of the season anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HEARTinator    946
8 hours ago, InMyHeart said:

I think getting an NPL coach for our club would be a disaster and I never stated that I wanted that.

Agree. Was just having a general rant to get things off my chest - post JVS stress :mellow:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Defibrillator    644
On 04/01/2017 at 11:34 AM, n i k o said:

I still think there's only two Australian coaches CFG would ever consider, those being Arnold and Postecoglou. 

I'd actually add Popa to this list too. Popa and Arnold to me are the ultimate pragmatists who play a team according to the strengths and personnel they have. Arnold is by nature a lot more defensive and I think Popa allows players to play with more flair if they bring it. Shinji Ono was a good example where he was given a free reign to create. He obviously had some issues with Mooy, but the most comprehensive coaching master classes I've seen at AAMI park have been against WSW - the (??) 3-0 defeat down here last year sticking in my mind - he shredded JVS. . He played the season with a very strong 6 and 8 with Dimas and Andreiu all the way to the final with an otherwise average squad. The guy can seriously coach and I'd love to have him here with a list full of talent.  His record against Heart/City should put him on the radar too.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jw1739    6,779
1 minute ago, Defibrillator said:

I'd actually add Popa to this list too. Popa and Arnold to me are the ultimate pragmatists who play a team according to the strengths and personnel they have. Arnold is by nature a lot more defensive and I think Popa allows players to play with more flair if they bring it. Shinji Ono was a good example where he was given a free reign to create. He obviously had some issues with Mooy, but the most comprehensive coaching master classes I've seen at AAMI park have been against WSW - the (??) 3-0 defeat down here last year sticking in my mind - he shredded JVS. . He played the season with a very strong 6 and 8 with Dimas and Andreiu all the way to the final with an otherwise average squad. The guy can seriously coach and I'd love to have him here with a list full of talent.  His record against Heart/City should put him on the radar too.  

Our record against WSW in league matches is miserable: 2 wins, 3 draws, 8 defeats.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris p    156
4 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

I'd actually add Popa to this list too. Popa and Arnold to me are the ultimate pragmatists who play a team according to the strengths and personnel they have. Arnold is by nature a lot more defensive and I think Popa allows players to play with more flair if they bring it. Shinji Ono was a good example where he was given a free reign to create. He obviously had some issues with Mooy, but the most comprehensive coaching master classes I've seen at AAMI park have been against WSW - the (??) 3-0 defeat down here last year sticking in my mind - he shredded JVS. . He played the season with a very strong 6 and 8 with Dimas and Andreiu all the way to the final with an otherwise average squad. The guy can seriously coach and I'd love to have him here with a list full of talent.  His record against Heart/City should put him on the radar too.  

Wsw currently sitting 6th... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bt50    3,031
2 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Wsw currently sitting 6th... 

What @Defibrillator said. The difference in quality is huge. I dont think we'll go down that path, but a defensively minded hard ass manager like Popovic will make us so hard to beat given our attacking riches at the other end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris p    156
1 minute ago, bt50 said:

What @Defibrillator said. The difference in quality is huge. I dont think we'll go down that path, but a defensively minded hard ass manager like Popovic will make us so hard to beat given our attacking riches at the other end.

I think his repeated failures with recruitment says alot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bt50    3,031
3 minutes ago, Chris p said:

I think his repeated failures with recruitment says alot 

Well he's got the CFG scouting network if he's at City so not really an issue. Not to mention the heightened marquee budget and the effective salary cap concession of being a CFG club : meaning that players, particularly young ones will come here for less because of the CFG links that we can offer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris p    156
4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Well he's got the CFG scouting network if he's at City so not really an issue. Not to mention the heightened marquee budget and the effective salary cap concession of being a CFG club : meaning that players, particularly young ones will come here for less because of the CFG links that we can offer.

Surely a coaches judgment of players by itself is kinda important ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bt50    3,031
Just now, Chris p said:

Surely a coaches judgment of players by itself is kinda important ? 

I think his record is more important and that speaks for itself.

1 ACL Title, 1 Premiers plate, 2 x runners up, 3 x GF runners up in four seasons. All with arguably average squads.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Defibrillator    644
12 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Surely a coaches judgment of players by itself is kinda important ? 

I think you've missed the point (and I'm not trying to be rude).  A scouting network ferrets out who is possibly available and who is "gettable" before they're  even presented for consideration to a coach. Not to mention the pull of a large organisation like CFG and the potential for exposure and post football opportunities. 36 scouts mean more doors are opened and explored. I don't think WSW would have had knowledge or access to the Visa players we have and, to be fair to CFG, their record over the last couple of years with visa players has been pretty good. Add to this that players like Kamau are on the record as saying that they came to us because of the opportunities of coming to a global entity, then it's clear we're in a very strong position. The only piece of the jigsaw I see to be filled now is a decent, pragmatic, results focussed coach. 

Edited by Defibrillator
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dylan    3,949
4 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

I think you've missed the point (and I'm not trying to be rude).  A scouting network ferrets out who is possibly available and who is "gettable" before they're  even presented for consideration to a coach. Not to mention the pull of a large organisation like CFG and the potential for exposure and post football opportunities. 36 scouts mean more doors are opened and explored. I don't think WSW would have had knowledge or access to the Visa players we have and, to be fair to CFG, their record over the last couple of years with visa players has been pretty good. Add to this that players like Kamau are on the record as saying that they came to us because of the opportunities of coming to a global entity, then it's clear we're in a very strong position. The only piece of the jigsaw I see to be filled now is a decent, pragmatic, results focussed coach. 

Well this is exactly what happened with Fornaroli. Coaching staff said what they wanted and scouts came back with a list. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
belaguttman    3,682
31 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Our record against WSW in league matches is miserable: 2 wins, 3 draws, 8 defeats.

Our record against most teams if poor to average, more of a selection of heart recruiting/injuries and JVS/Bambi coaching. Even Muscunt has out coached JVS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dylan    3,949

In fact I bet JVS and the coaches at the same time said the same shit that was posted on here. Why cant we get a 15 goal a season striker? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KSK_47    5,411
1 minute ago, belaguttman said:

Our record against most teams if poor to average, more of a selection of heart recruiting/injuries and JVS/Bambi coaching. Even Muscunt has out coached JVS

Even bambi has outcoached jvs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
playmaker    788

I recon if Valkanis doesn't work out and we can't get Gombau or Ange, then we look outside Australia. I am sure CFG can lure a good quality European division 2 manager to get the best out of our squad.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
playmaker    788

Osvaldo de Oliveira Age: 66: 'Ideal candidate' - The Brazilian has a wealth of knowledge. He coached J-League side Kashima Antlers from 2007-11 (and beat Sydney FC twice in the ACL 2011). Also coached in Qatar, but mainly in Brazil. Last coached Corinthians and Sport Recife in 2016.

Ernie Merrick: Age 63: 'Ticks all boxes' - What a sensational appointment that would be. City would stick it to Victory by appointing their former coach who knows the A-League well, has had major success and is expert in developing young talent. -

Harry Kewell: Age 38: 'Popular choice' - The legend of the Socceroos has stated he'd like to coach in the A-League and clearly he'd have the respect of the players. Currently coaching Watford's U-23s. A former Heart player too

Tony Popovic: Age 43: 'Smart choice' - For a club like City, success on the continental stage is the next step. 'Popa' knows what it takes, has the respect and admiration required for a big club like City and if his vision matches City's, he'd be a fabulous addition. Was recently targeted by Shanghai Shenhua

Juande Ramos: Age 62: 'Great choice' - UEFA Pro Licence, and EPL experience with Spurs and six months with Real Madrid. He last coached Malaga till December last year and has a wealth of experience in Spain.

Frank Lampard: Age 38 'Outside chance' - Left Melbourne City's US sister club New York late last year but is still being linked with English clubs as a player, but as a coach he'd bring experience from 106 England caps, three EPL titles, a UCL winner’s medal and four FA Cups winner's medals. 

 

http://www.a-league.com.au/photo-gallery/6-candidates-for-melbourne-city-coaching-job-1g12rp6tyzbsq15pjshbv9lh8j

Edited by playmaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
n i k o    4,678

Suprised Bozzas suggestion of Cahill as player-coach isnt in there. Maybe he needs some sort of credentials to be a coach before blurting out ridiculous comments.  

New announcement from the club...

Melbourne City FC has confirmed a number of changes to the mandates of its coaching staff in order to underpin the appointment of Michael Valkanis as interim Head Coach.

Michael Valkanis was announced earlier this week as interim Head Coach, following the departure of John van’t Schip. 

Joe Montemurro, Head Coach of the 2015/16 Premiership-Championship double winning women’s team and second assistant to the men’s team, will assume the role of interim Senior Assistant Coach. Montemurro has now worked across all the Club’s teams, having initially joined as Head Coach of the National Premier League (NPL) team in 2015.
 
Joe Palatsides will act as Assistant Coach A-League team, alongside his current role as Foxtel National Youth League (NYL) and NPL Head Coach and Head of Academy.
 
Joseph Didulica will continue as Goalkeeping Coach.

Jess Fishlock, who was a playing Assistant with Montemurro, will be promoted with immediate effect to interim W-League Head Coach for the remaining weeks of the W-League season, while continuing her playing duties. 

NPL under-20 coach, and former men’s captain, Patrick Kisnorbo will become W-League Assistant Coach for the remainder of the W-League season, alongside second Assistant Paul Kilpatrick.

Melbourne City FC CEO Scott Munn said:
“This interim coaching re-structure further demonstrates our commitment to the development of talent, both on the pitch and in all of our support functions. Over the last three years we have worked hard to develop a single footballing philosophy across all of our teams, and the simplicity of this arrangement validates the effectiveness of the model that has been created.”

Valkanis’ first A-League match in charge will be on Friday 6 January against Western Sydney Wanderers, and Fishlock’s first W-League match in charge will be the Round 11 fixture against Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium on Sunday 8 January.

- See more at: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-confirms-interim-coaching-mandates/1g3tswa0llq9j1xe7h9fd2ligk#sthash.q7f0GN4h.dpuf
Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-confirms-interim-coaching-mandates/1g3tswa0llq9j1xe7h9fd2ligk#IcpCKIY0z82Jg5ih.99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bt50    3,031
1 minute ago, n i k o said:

Suprised Bozzas suggestion of Cahill as player-coach isnt in there. Maybe he needs some sort of credentials to be a coach before blurting out ridiculous comments.  

Haha yeh there's no way known CFG are going to appoint a coach with no first team experience.
The only person I can see it being that's not managed a senior team already is Milicic and that's due to his impressive apprenticeship.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jw1739    6,779

Like I said, we're going to be linked to every coach they have ever heard of. Waste of time reading this shit. Unless the successful candidate leaks it himself there won't be a leak out of CFG and the first anyone will hear about the new appointment will be the official announcement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
n i k o    4,678
2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Haha yeh there's no way known CFG are going to appoint a coach with no first team experience.
The only person I can see it being that's not managed a senior team already is Milicic and that's due to his impressive apprenticeship.

Yeh but not only that you need to have your FFA pro badge to be a head coach in the aleague :droy: I dare say Cahill wouldn't even have the most basic of courses completed yet. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shahanga    3,382
49 minutes ago, haz said:

Interesting that nothing there says Valkanis will be there till the end of the season.

It implies it though. Why make so many changes is it's not for the remainder of the season?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×