Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

He probably got the idea from here: http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/harry-kewell-opens-up-about-links-to-melbourne-city-coaching-job/news-story/a3a296a13d0c9c8aac041eba3ede941e

Not even one year older than Cahill. Risks being a disaster in terms of squad discipline.

Do not like at all.

It would end in nothing but disaster, especially with Cahill still at the club.. Will be Aloisi 2.0

What is HK's record with Watford youth anyway?

Not sure if he'd be the first bloke I'd pick, but i wouldnt be against it. Plenty of good reports about his coaching ability from around the traps.

Obvious concerns is that he'd be an Aloisi 2.0, although I'm honestly not sure that experience means a lot if you have the right person when it comes to managing.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, haz said:

It would end in nothing but disaster, especially with Cahill still at the club.. Will be Aloisi 2.0

What is HK's record with Watford youth anyway?

Don't know about HK's overall record, but this season they are bottom (10th) of the Professional Development League (South) with a 6-3-12 record, 31 GF, 53 GA, for 21 points.

Just now, jw1739 said:

Don't know about HK's overall record, but this season they are bottom (10th) of the Professional Development League (South) with a 6-3-12 record, 31 GF, 53 GA, for 21 points.

Doesn't sound amazing.

I think we are all scarred from the Aloisi experience, although there are a number of younger coaches going around who are doing well. But I would feel mostly let down if CFG go for HK as the "Well known" "Media recognizable face" option, it feels all too familiar........

• Like 2

Bloody over reaction here is crazy.

I for one would be up for having Kewell. You all want an experienced manager or Gombau for example, but what experience as a senior manager has he had or Amor had when he took Adelaide to win it all last season. Popa has taken the wanderers to 3 grand finals and won them a champions league with no experience as a manager. 

You dont always need experience. You need hunger to succeed and football knowledge and if anyone has heard Harry speak about coaching, he sounds obsessed with it.

Plus all this talk about the egos in the dressing room being an issue. This bloke has achieved in football what most in our squad could only dream of and thats including Tim.  Plus Tim is a bloody professional. Whos to say that having Tim at the club who he's played along side wont help him in the dressing room.

I say fuckin bring it on!!!!

btw...

No Gombau

http://outside90.com/josep-gombau-rules-out-taking-melbourne-city-job-506/

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

I for one would be up for having Kewell. You all want an experienced manager or Gombau for example, but what experience as a senior manager has he had or Amor had when he took Adelaide to win it all last season. Popa has taken the wanderers to 3 grand finals and won them a champions league with no experience as a manager. 

You dont always need experience. You need hunger to succeed and football knowledge and if anyone has heard Harry speak about coaching, he sounds obsessed with it.

Plus all this talk about the egos in the dressing room being an issue. This bloke has achieved in football what most in our squad could only dream of and thats including Tim.  Plus Tim is a bloody professional. Whos to say that having Tim at the club who he's played along side wont help him in the dressing room.

btw...

No Gombau

You could have copied and pasted a post like this when Aloisi was appointed

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

btw...

No Gombau

I Dont think it's an over reaction.

It's just stating the obvious reluctance of signing an untried coach. Yes heaps of successful coaches have a one point been untried and have had stellar careers.

I just feel that this appointment cannot afford to fail and no unecessary risks should be taken. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jovan said:

It's just stating the obvious reluctance of signing an untried coach. Yes heaps of successful coaches have a one point been untried and have had stellar careers.

I just feel that this appointment cannot afford to fail and no unecessary risks should be taken. 

Every appointment has risk. Many would rate Pep as a coach Man city haven't set the world on fire...yet. Mourinho, United 6th. Klopp..... Granted competitive league blah blah blah. I agree with you that the decision is a large one but just taking out first time coaches given we are at the arse end of the world seems like it would take out plenty of capable football coaches in the making. Unfortunately the nature of the business is you dont know how someone will go until they are in the job.

Hmmmm............... my head says no (tried and true please) but my heart says do it!!! I think his football mind combined with his hunger to succeed plus a dash of IM THE FUCKING BOSS (of which we have never had) and a bit of ego to boot would be what this club needs. I do fear however that he might over coach and players might 2nd guess themselves every now and then.

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

Surely SURELY we have learnt from the Aloisi debarcle 

And the JvS debacle. JvS had very little experience at club level before Heart, and didn't show anything special at FC Twente or Guadalajara.

I think everyone has that nagging doubt that we may not have learnt.

Watching this year and the most expensive squad in A-League history not even putting up a fight in the Premiership, I still hope that we will have the sense to appoint someone who can instill into our squad the discipline and the will to grind out results.

For all I know Harry K. might be just the person, but I'd be more comfortable with someone who has already demonstrated that at A-League level or above.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And the JvS debacle. JvS had very little experience at club level before Heart, and didn't show anything special at FC Twente or Guadalajara.

I think everyone has that nagging doubt that we may not have learnt.

Watching this year and the most expensive squad in A-League history not even putting up a fight in the Premiership, I still hope that we will have the sense to appoint someone who can instill into our squad the discipline and the will to grind out results.

For all I know Harry K. might be just the person, but I'd be more comfortable with someone who has already demonstrated that at A-League level or above.

I have no issue with HK being apart of the coaching group of the club but we need an experienced head at the top. 

If they want a 'marquee coach' then go and get Hiddink and have HK as an assistant. Then if they wanted they could market that to a broader public.  HK would be mad to take a senior position now given how little experience he has.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

On 15/03/2017 at 6:19 PM, Andrew Edmonds said:

Ante Milicic (if that's how you spell his name), said anything is possible when asked about taking our manager position. Maybe he's been approached... hasn't denied it!

Would be the foremost Australian candidate I would have thought. 

Has now got an impressive CV for an assistant and is surely ready for a senior role.

PS when will people learn that there is no correlation between good players and good managers? The roles are very different and a retired player, no matter how great, needs to learn his craft.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, moops said:

TBH, if they say Valkanis was our next head coach, I wouldn't mind, I think he did well tonight and over the last two weeks.

I would.

Can't say i'm a big fan of his tactic of starting our best performing player on the bench.

We can do much better

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 3

On 3/17/2017 at 6:22 PM, Jovan said:

Totally agree with you, but who do we honestly think the CFG will bring over?

Most likely a coach we haven't heard about with an average record. If anyone is expecting a big name, i wouldn't be holding your breath.

56 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

Totally agree with you, but who do we honestly think the CFG will bring over?

Most likely a coach we haven't heard about with an average record. If anyone is expecting a big name, i wouldn't be holding your breath.

I am hoping for a "Marquee Coach" that is someone that has coached/managed at the highest level. 

But we will probably get a no name guy and if that is the case it I would prefer someone from within CFG  (Manchester mainly). 

Simon Davies or Jason Wilcox perhaps. 

Who knows a couple more wins and grand final appearance could make a Valkanis appointment a real option.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

I am hoping for a "Marquee Coach" that is someone that has coached/managed at the highest level. 

But we will probably get a no name guy and if that is the case it I would prefer someone from within CFG  (Manchester mainly). 

Simon Davies or Jason Wilcox perhaps. 

Who knows a couple more wins and grand final appearance could make a Valkanis appointment a real option.

He gets us there and i'm happy to keep Valkanis to be honest, but i think that the only way he stays is if we win it.

GF away to Sydney is going to happen. Already booked my leave for it hahaha

• 3 weeks later...

So with a new manager pending, and a possible rethink of our way of playing, the question is how long would be acceptable for the club to succeed?

Do we expect success in the first season or would it be wiser to allow a new manager 2 or 3 years to undo the JVS culture and bring long term league dominance?

What is the expectation of the fans and what would we consider real success?

Ange changed the Roar culture in less than a season, Arnold took a little longer at the surfs but that was complicated by poor recruiting in his first season. I'd expect tp see a big change next season, in particular around recruiting balance and the teams ability to manage the pressure that comes with success. i'd also look for greater psychological residence when we fall behind in a game