Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

11 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Didn't think Joyce did much wrong last night tbh.

His starting 11 was an eleven that has been good all season and proven to be effective, including last time out against these guys. We were atleast on par with them in the first half aside from two LaRocca stuff ups. At halftime he changed everything up, something our previous managers wouldn't have done (I believe Aloisi submits his substitutions before the game) and we dominated the next 20 minutes until yet another stuff up cost us a goal and all momentum. After that there was little he could do, but he still tried to be more attacking and iuse what options he did have left on the bench. 

The big test is this week. The players and formation no longer have earnt their spots, so now we see if he looks to have another plan and an ability to execute it. 

Totally agree. 

Your never going to win a game when you gift 3 goals. 

Galekovic and La Rocca are both to blame but in our previous games they are the major reasons for our wins. So for me I would play them both next week and give them the opportunity to redeem themselves and if they fuck up again axe both of them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

Totally agree. 

Your never going to win a game when you gift 3 goals. 

Galekovic and La Rocca are both to blame but in our previous games they are the major reasons for our wins. So for me I would play them both next week and give them the opportunity to redeem themselves and if they fuck up again axe both of them.

I agree about not dropping those two just because of that game, previously they were both great.

The thing is though we can’t keep playing Jacobsen in midfield, so something has to give. 

It's still not too late for the old topic subject.  For the string of bad results it's always the coach who is responsible to the owners. 

La Rocca plays in Jakobsen position.  Jako and Bart are arguably the best pairing in the league.  Jako takes you-name-him position in the DM line. That's Wazza decision and responsibility. 

Just now, Jovan said:

This forum is fucked!

A loss and the sky is falling in, and 4 wins in a row we are world beaters.

It's always going to be somewhere in the middle. 

Disagree. It's not one loss, it's one point out of nine. If you want to play in the Asian Champions league, and if your "bad" is going to be runs like that, then your "good" is going to have to be better than four wins in a row.

46 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Disagree. It's not one loss, it's one point out of nine. If you want to play in the Asian Champions league, and if your "bad" is going to be runs like that, then your "good" is going to have to be better than four wins in a row.

Of course its 1 point out of a possible 9 but its also 13 points from a possible 21. I understand patterns and results sometimes don't actually reflect true quality ( or lack off) but for me last night was a just one of those games were errors just killed us. 

I'm not thinking wholesale changes are needed.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

He was playing for us when AU won the title but also played for them for the first half of the season and was then swapped for Mauk

Yep, the first half of the season with zero wins in the first 8 rounds. Malik had zero impact on the title he was injured and played poorly when available - moving him on was a master stroke from Amor I thought.

47 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

No coach is fully successful in the first season.  Especially when coming to league with no background knowledge. 

4 minutes ago, malloy said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_Amor

Here come the Wazza excuse makers

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_Amor

Here come the Wazza excuse makers

TBH I am still in the Wazza camp, however my assessments of him will be objective until I get to the point of disliking him, which is pretty much a point of no return.

I think some of Wazza's team selection has been wrong, however he may have had a valid reason for doing so in that it was necessary to fix the poor culture we have all been complaining about that has been pervasive at the club.

I think he has shown that he can make quite good tactical adjustments (Brisbane game) and we do look much better mentally and structurally than under JVS so I think the signs are there that he can turn it around and that he can be competent.  His first five weeks ( I don't necessarily see the Sydney game as a bad game) have bought him more time from my usual assessment point of 7 weeks into the season proper.

• Like 2

People are overlooking the fact that this season 4 of the goals conceded were directly from individual players brain farts rather than strategic or tactical inadequacies which is pretty much the opposite of last year's defensive shambles.

This just illustrates that the players are at fault rather than the coach as there are just some things the coach can't control and should not be held accountable for.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Inferno said:

I'm with @Dylan from what I've seen of wazza and his team selection has made me think why did we get this guy?

When He first got the job he was interviewed on RSN:

Harford (host): The position; Do you apply for these types of positions or do the City Group come looking for you?

Joyce: Ummm . . . theres a bit of both really. You know, obviously, I've known Brian Marwood for a long time, um, from football in varying jobs and varying times.

Source: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=106223

4 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

No coach is fully successful in the first season.  Especially when coming to league with no background knowledge. 

Lavicka won the double in his first season at Sydney.

43 minutes ago, playmaker said:

there are just some things the coach can't control and should not be held accountable for.

Well we don't have a game plan for when we have possession of the ball. Is this the players fault too?

And while I'm on a roll, he doesn't make tactical changes, he makes personnel changes. Isn't it strange how we are able to keep possession of the ball and move it forward when the likes of Carrusca, Brattan, Budzinski and Kilkenny are on the field late in games.

1 hour ago, Inferno said:

I'm with @Dylan from what I've seen of wazza and his team selection has made me think why did we get this guy?

We "got this guy" because, as explained by Khaldoon Al Mubarak, Chairman of City Football Group, our owners were not satisfied that Melbourne City showed the club spirit, determination to win and pride in the shirt expected of a CFG club (my paraphrasing), and Joyce is known to have what CFG think are the managerial qualities necessary to get this required culture established at the club.

It's possible, perhaps even likely, that we will see further managerial changes before CFG achieve what they want. The "balance of power" between Petrillo and Joyce is one area that interests me, and the Assistant Coach appointments going forward is another.

IMO it's ridiculous to write off Joyce after seven league matches.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, malloy said:

TBH I am still in the Wazza camp, however my assessments of him will be objective until I get to the point of disliking him, which is pretty much a point of no return.

I think some of Wazza's team selection has been wrong, however he may have had a valid reason for doing so in that it was necessary to fix the poor culture we have all been complaining about that has been pervasive at the club.

I think he has shown that he can make quite good tactical adjustments (Brisbane game) and we do look much better mentally and structurally than under JVS so I think the signs are there that he can turn it around and that he can be competent.  His first five weeks ( I don't necessarily see the Sydney game as a bad game) have bought him more time from my usual assessment point of 7 weeks into the season proper.

I agree, I wasn't keen on this appointment but so far he hasn't shone but has been OK. One of the important roles for this appointment though has been to address the team culture and whilst there's been signns of progress this can't happen quickly enough

20 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I agree, I wasn't keen on this appointment but so far he hasn't shone but has been OK. One of the important roles for this appointment though has been to address the team culture and whilst there's been signns of progress this can't happen quickly enough

And when you have oversize ego's in the changeroom (Cahil) there will be disruptions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Drain the swamp Wazza. 

Start with Timmy and go down the list until you are happy.

We don't need this festering cesspool of waste at our club any more. 

I can feel the opinion of the fans change today.  He's set us up, he's after money, and you wouldn't put it past him to have conspired with uber flog Aloisi. Grovelling apology Tim, or train alone until you don't get picked for Russia. Quite right playmaker, drain the swamp until we've got rid of anyone pulling in another direction.  If necessary play the kids.  But on no account give in to this.

Edited by fensaddler
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I can feel the opinion of the fans change today.  He's set us up, he's after money, and you wouldn't put it past him to have conspired with uber flog Aloisi. Grovelling apology Tim, or train alone until you don't get picked for Russia. Quite right playmaker, drain the swamp until we've got rid of anyone pulling in another direction.  If necessary play the kids.  But on no account give in to this.

Heard a whisper today that Fernando could be on his way as well.

We've got 6 bloody good Scholarship players - Genreau, Najjarine, Roberts and co. - who'll play their hearts out for us and the club. Rather have them than flogs like Cahill any day, even if we come bottom of the league.

• Like 2

Drain the swamp!

Make City Great Again!

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We've got 6 bloody good Scholarship players - Genreau, Najjarine, Roberts and co. - who'll play their hearts out for us and the club. Rather have them than flogs like Cahill any day, even if we come bottom of the league.

Where did you hear that Brandan was out? Was a reason cited?

54 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@malloy Uncorroborated, but from a fellow member. Reason given was that Joyce just doesn't like him as a player. I'll keep my ear to the ground.

Interesting. I went and watched them train the week before round 1 and Brandan trained fully and looked very close back then.

8 weeks later and still no sight, so unless he's picked up another injury, I'm very surprised he hasn't made his way back yet.

Might go out tomorrow if i have time and see who's actually there. 

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Nah screw Waz if that is true. Brandan is 2x the player kamau is in every aspect. Ill change my opinon on Waz if he pushes Brandan out, does anyone know if similar things happened at Wigan when Waz was in charge?

42 minutes ago, haz said:

Nah screw Waz if that is true. Brandan is 2x the player kamau is in every aspect. Ill change my opinon on Waz if he pushes Brandan out, does anyone know if similar things happened at Wigan when Waz was in charge?

I suspect Nando was always likely to be the fall boy if they wanted to retain Rossco. No inside info, just the assumption I made when they mentioned they would like to sign someone that will possibly 'stay around'.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

I suspect Nando was always likely to be the fall boy if they wanted to retain Rossco. No inside info, just the assumption I made when they mentioned they would like to sign someone that will possibly 'stay around'.

So far 'Rossco' doesnt even deserve a spot on the U16 team

• Like 1

Crazy amount of support on here for Wazza. Tbh I'm not a fan. As has been mentioned we have become quite boring to watch although defensively we do look a bit more stable. Large part of that is because or Bort and La Rocca ( yes he had a bad game the other night it happens). Brattan should've started the other night and hearing all these "rumours" about players that he doesn't rate just annoys me. Then he has his favourites. One of them being Muscat who makes me question myself as to why I can't be playing as a right back for us. Honestly no where near A-league level the bloke would struggle in the NPL hes absolutely hopeless yet Wazza loves him.

#SackJoyce 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

Whispers, rumours, conjecture, opinions....Is someone trying to distabalise the club or the team? 

This is a football forum, and it's what you get when there are no clear "official" statements, explanations, rebuttals etc. etc. when a story hits the media.

People comment nearly every week about why Fernando isn't mentioned in the team list - all that speculation would be cleared up if the club gave an update on his rehab. Wrt Cahill, a club wouldn't normally comment on an internal matter, but Cahill is an icon of the Australian game and the media is all over the story like a rash. A statement from the club would help clear the air.

In the meantime the speculation will continue.