Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

442 Comment

My concern for City this year is coach Joyce.

No British coach, and British trained, has had any success to date in Oz. Magilton, McMahon, Money, Nevin, Butcher all failed with the cattle they had.

The Brits who have had success have had local training and are products of the Aussie milieu. Ernie, Mulvey and Lowe are to all intents and purposes, Aussie coaches.

Even if City get Troisi, and any other cattle, I'm tipping Joyce to fail. Unless he has worked extensively with some of the decent senior coaches in his clubs, his training could be worse than the current Aussie coaches. I think like all of his previous countrymen he is in for a shock. I'm happy to be proved wrong. 

36 minutes ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

Spoke to Joyce tonight, 4-3-3 is the formation for the season. Also spoke to Michael who said we'll be playing on the counter

------------------Galekovic-------------------

Muscat---VISA CB---Jakobsen---Scotty J

------------------Kilkenny-----------------------

--------Marquee Visa--Mauk/Brattan-----

Fitzy-----------Fornaroli----------Brandan(after injury)

SUB: Bouzanis, Cahill, Mauk/Brattan, Kamau, Tonyik/La Rocca

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Muscat bothers me. Certainly our weak link in the back. 

I'm willing to see how he performs under a different manager and in a different system where the fullbacks are less exposed. Still feel that if we have the back four that Haz suggested then you can carry a weaker fullback in it without too much issue.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Embee said:

I'm willing to see how he performs under a different manager and in a different system where the fullbacks are less exposed. Still feel that if we have the back four that Haz suggested then you can carry a weaker fullback in it without too much issue.

I would also like to see Pierias given a go at RB too.

26 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Probably more likely is La Rocca as CB and no Visa at all. 

A back 4 of 

Muscat La Rocca Jakobsen and Jamieson is servicable but nothing special. With Ruon getting a sniff here and there. 

If so, where would we use the last two VISA places?

Regarding the lack of ambition thus far with our signings, I think this may foreshadow a change in approach by City Group in terms of how it views its Melbourne club.

Considering:

• the salary cap and counter-intuitive trading restrictions put in place by FFA which hinders City Group's ability to compile a genuine AFC level championship contender
  • we are now 'City' blue (which was a huge objective, and is probably the only reason we have a Cahill type player in the squad)
  • feedback from fans saying consistency of performance is critical (not necessarily results)
  • a desire not be a mini-Manchester
  • the success, goodwill and money generated through the success of Aaron Mooy
  • Warren Joyce's experience in developing young players
  • the possibility of returning to some of Melbourne Heart's founding principles around developing young Australian players and future Socceroos;

I get a feeling that Melbourne City FC will be considered a low cost feeder club for City Group, to push players into the Championship / EPL, and the development of our young players (and further development of established A-League players) and on-selling players will be preferential to winning trophies, provided supporters are happy to see the young guys given a go and we have consistency of competitive performance.

21 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Regarding the lack of ambition thus far with our signings, I think this may foreshadow a change in approach by City Group in terms of how it views its Melbourne club.

Considering:

• the salary cap and counter-intuitive trading restrictions put in place by FFA which hinders City Group's ability to compile a genuine AFC level championship contender
  • we are now 'City' blue (which was a huge objective, and is probably the only reason we have a Cahill type player in the squad)
  • feedback from fans saying consistency of performance is critical (not necessarily results)
  • the possibility of returning to some of Melbourne Heart's founding principles around developing young Australian players and future Socceroos;

I get a feeling that Melbourne City FC will be considered a low cost feeder club for City Group, to push players into the Championship / EPL, and the development of our young players (and further development of established A-League players) and on-selling players will be preferential to winning trophies, provided supporters are happy to see the young guys given a go and we have consistency of competitive performance.

Interesting view.

Is that your personal feeling about a perceived change in direction, or have you received hints from "inside"? Is it worth running "feeder clubs" - or is it cheaper to let other clubs develop players until they are proven to be quality and then cherry-pick the ones you want with irresistible transfer fee offers?

It's true FFA has thrown up all sorts of roadblocks in front of CFG, but I would have thought having finally achieved "City Blue Brand" at quite some cost, CFG would have been keen to capitalise on it rather than change direction at this stage.

1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

Considering:

So is all of this is based on the signings (or lack off) during this transfer window? 

Edited by Jovan
Sorry just seen your reply.

1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

Its my gut feeling.  CFG have always said they will only invest commensurate to what the A-League is worth to them, so unless the salary cap changes, I think there is a chance that the approach detailed above is where they will focus their priorities.  The next 1 or 2 signings will be telling.

My 2 cents.

We will always maximise the salary cap also this season, it's so ridiculously low and we would be stupid not to do so. Surely CFG sees completing the salary cap as the minimal investment they have to make.

What makes you think it's a change in approach?

We showed in previous years that we aren't willing to spend a crazy amount on a marquee, this year won't be any different. I think the club is just taking its time, carefully moving players on to solve the salary cap puzzle. This is also why Brattan isn't announced yet and they aren't clear on the Brandan situation in regards to injury replacements. Maybe we really have no cap space left hence only one or two incoming players?

We are now allowed to sign more Scholarship players for development purposes, so we would be really silly not to build a competitive squad with the remaining cap space.

Edited by Mr MO

37 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

My 2 cents.

We will always maximise the salary cap also this season, it's so ridiculously low and we would be stupid not to do so. Surely CFG sees completing the salary as the minimal investment they have to make.

What makes you think it's a change in approach?

We showed in previous years that we aren't willing to spend a crazy amount on a marquee, this year won't be any different. I think the club is just taking its time, carefully moving players on to solve the salary cap puzzle. This is also why Brattan isn't announced yet and they aren't clear on the Brandan situation in regards to injury replacements. Maybe we really have no cap space left hence only one or two incoming players?

We are now allowed to sign more Scholarship players for development purposes, so we would be really silly not to build a competitive squad with the remaining cap space.

The club would be stupid not to fill the remaining VISA spots.

If we only sign one, I would rather see a VISA CB then a VISA CAM, im sure some will disagree.

2 minutes ago, haz said:

If we only sign one, I would rather see a VISA CB then a VISA CAM, im sure some will disagree.

I'm happy for the CAM to be Australian, if they are up to standard as marquee. I can't particularly think of anyone that is good enough to fill that role thats eligible though tbh. So Visa Marquee CAM and a Visa CB.

The rumours doing the rounds re Carrusca are ok with me under the cap, but no way in hell should we be using our marquee slot on him. A marquee CB i wouldn't be against, but would def prefer CAM.

5 minutes ago, haz said:

With the marquee spot available & the salary cap room available after franjic leaving i am pretty certain we will sign the two remaining visa players. One should be a #10 but not sure if the final visa spot should go to a centre back or right back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

With the marquee spot available & the salary cap room available after franjic leaving i am pretty certain we will sign the two remaining visa players. One should be a #10 but not sure if the final visa spot should go to a centre back or right back.

If it's either/or, and I suspect it is, I'd go for central defence as I think we can make do and mend at RB.  Moreover I suspect we'll want to keep three at the back as a viable option.  The marquee really needs to be a number ten.  I don't think Mauk is our solution there, decent as I think he might prove to be.

Can't see them signing a CB to be honest. Jacobsen, LaRocca, Tongyik, Muscat, Malik, Jamieson, and a couple of youth for the full back fill in roles, is about it I think.

The transitional aspects of the game is where we faltered and this is purely a tactical issue. The manager is solely responsible for this and I think the players we have are more than capable if the are coached right.

At the moment we are the only Australian based team in the competition never to have won a Championship. We share a city with a rival that has been successfull. If improving support is a metric for the franchise then winning a Championship has to be a priority otherwise we'll be the number 3 team in Melbourne behind South Melbourne FC

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

At the moment we are the only Australian based team in the competition never to have won a Championship. We share a city with a rival that has been successfull. If improving support is a metric for the franchise then winning a Championship has to be a priority otherwise we'll be the number 3 team in Melbourne behind South Melbourne FC

WSW have won a Premiership but not a Championship. Perth hasn't won either since the A-League was formed. But the point is well made. We're the only (current) Australian-based club never to have featured either in the top two in the regular season or in a Grand Final.

Edited by jw1739

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

WSW have won a Premiership but not a Championship. Perth hasn't won either since the A-League was formed. But the point is well made. We're the only (current) Australian-based club never to have featured either in the top two in the regular season or in a Grand Final.

Bit selective. We are the cup champions.

3 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

Coming from England and Man U he thinks he's the best coach. Who wouldn't. That's fine. Reality check comes in the second round. Then against Grumpy and Poppa. First test next week away. We didn't trash last opponent.

Mainly because we played quite a few of our youngsters, Where do you hide your head in a bucket of sand or something.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

its goal, so it could be complete made up bullshit, but if that article on wazza is true that makes me like him even more haha

26 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Well if it's true and they have a good record, you'd think he would bring his own assistants. Little concerned that he isn't a fan of sport science. But hey, it's on his head if he fucks up

Not sure you get to bring your own assistants down here, particularly when the existing ones are contracted.