Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

Seems like he will take command and instill some toughness ... 

He will no doubt be mandated to ensure consistency of performance, win lose or draw, which is badly needed and was acknowledged by the chairman during his end of season address.

Look forward to seeing what he can do and will support him in earnest, unless he is a dud, which this forum will work out as the season progresses.

Just looking at his history, he is no wallflower when it comes to coaching on the sidelines ...

633006460.jpg.2617dd8a8973dd99894b16707836105f.jpg\

634170742.jpg.d98c1222341f9358aa76b8a361bd5c9d.jpg

634172086.jpg.0d83113d8e65cfdf8d0f24284a683923.jpg

Manchester-City-v-Manchester-United-U21-Premier-League.jpg.e41956021b6f7c23a78cdb13fdc37346.jpg

Also, was a solid lad during his playing days

650743396.jpg.64c4ecbeb59616e3e694a6baa84dc3dd.jpg

• Like 2

We had a squad last season that should have been in contention to finish top and be in the grand final. If Joyce puts a rocket up Brattan, Caceres, Kamau et al and gets consistency of effort and a team ethic going then results should flow. That said, Bruno, Timmy and Brandan are self starters who never needed a coach to give them a rocket but they'll probably appreciate someone who hopefully wants to win as badly as they do - no passengers.

• Like 2

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:29 AM, jw1739 said:

I can't fathom this "marketability" point at all. I don't think people suddenly jump on board a club simply because it has a "name" as a manager. Didn't work with Aloisi, did it? What counts is results.

Incredible, isn't it? Compared to others, I know sweet FA about tactics and the technical side of the game, but the only things I wanted from the next coach were someone whom I'd never heard of and someone who wasn't picked based on his popularity with casual supporters (i.e. Kewell or Kisnorbo).

Fact is, Graham Arnold is the only coach that I would be confident about being able to come into any A-League situation and turn it around (and who might actually want to), based on his track record. Anyone else, local or foreign, your guess is as good as mine.

Hope Joyce hardens this side up and gives the starting spots to players who are all-in. How many times did we score first last year, only to draw, or lose? If we had been able to fix that, we would have been a top two side last year.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Seems like he will take command and instill some toughness ... 

He will no doubt be mandated to ensure consistency of performance, win lose or draw, which is badly needed and was acknowledged by the chairman during his end of season address.

Look forward to seeing what he can do and will support him in earnest, unless he is a dud, which this forum will work out as the season progresses.

Just looking at his history, he is no wallflower when it comes to coaching on the sidelines ...

633006460.jpg.2617dd8a8973dd99894b16707836105f.jpg\

634170742.jpg.d98c1222341f9358aa76b8a361bd5c9d.jpg

634172086.jpg.0d83113d8e65cfdf8d0f24284a683923.jpg

Manchester-City-v-Manchester-United-U21-Premier-League.jpg.e41956021b6f7c23a78cdb13fdc37346.jpg

Also, was a solid lad during his playing days

650743396.jpg.64c4ecbeb59616e3e694a6baa84dc3dd.jpg

Very excited to see him bring back the Hayden Foxe pizza delivery boy look with the shorts

Edited by GreenSeater
  • Like 3

I personally don't relate to the style of football that traditional English coaches like Joyce, preach and play. Direct, long balls and physical. Ignoring the most important element in football : technic, individuality, flair and all those attributes that have made some south americans and European nations more successful than England and the whole of Britain.  Statistics show that due to that style of football, the inventors of the most beautiful game, are under achievers. In more than 100 yrs of the game, at national level, they have only won a world cup at senior and recently another at u/20s.

His credentials don't make him look good but as a fan that wants the best for city, I will support him and give him time before passing judgement.

If Valkanis continues as assistant, I will now say that it will be another long season.

12 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

I personally don't relate to the style of football that traditional English coaches like Joyce, preach and play. Direct, long balls and physical. Ignoring the most important element in football : technic, individuality, flair and all those attributes that have made some south americans and European nations more successful than England and the whole of Britain.  Statistics show that due to that style of football, the inventors of the most beautiful game, are under achievers. In more than 100 yrs of the game, at national level, they have only won a world cup at senior and recently another at u/20s.

His credentials don't make him look good but as a fan that wants the best for city, I will support him and give him time before passing judgement.

If Valkanis continues as assistant, I will now say that it will be another long season.

'Style' is overrated in football IMO, I want my team to be succesful and win and if we accomplish it with more negative/pragmatic tactics then it doesn't bother me at all to be honest. We've trying playing with 'technique, individuality and flair' and it hasn't really gotten us anywhere. On the flip side you had Sydney last season who played a very physical and defensive style and walked the league.

Results > style.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Poor appointment. Aside from his disastrous spell at Wigan his only first team coaching experience is in the English 4th tier and the Belgian 2nd tier.

Especially when you consider that Adelaide's new coach got Kaiserslautern promoted to the Bundesliga where they finished 7th and Wellington's new coach won the Eerste Divisie and has also coached in both the Eredivise and Jupiler Pro League.

Joyce does not have the experience, pedigree or past success of these other new A-League coaches (Marco Kurz and Darije Kalezic)

Even if he is a good youth coach (which is hard to quantify), he hasn't been appointed to a youth development role, he has been appointed head coach of the first team.

Would it really be that different with him being a youth team coach? He's won the league 4 of the 7 years he's been involved in the youth team, so I think that's a great accomplishment and a good thing to have on a resumé.

28 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

For those worried about us being a feeder club for youth, Ajax do it quiet well and win championships. 

Yes but AJAX are a club (not a foreign owned franchise) and are masters of their own destiny and are responsible to their fans. I expect that with Chinese investment CFG are now seeing us as a development team and their other Asian teams are their pathway to the ACL

Edited by belaguttman

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Yes but AJAX are a club (not a foreign owned franchise) and are masters of their own destiny and are responsible to their fans. I expect that with Chinese investment CFG are now seeing us as a development team and their other Asian teams are their pathway to the ACL

Any excuse to continue to wallow in misery eh?

I honestly don't know why some of you bother tbh. If the club makes you so despondent then go watch an NPL team or something.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I expect that with Chinese investment CFG are now seeing us as a development team and their other Asian teams are their pathway to the ACL

Not sure about that. 

I genuinely feel CFG want us to become an Asian powerhouse.  The only thing I think has changed is how they think they are going to do it. Initially they wanted to win and do it with style "beauty" now I think they just want to win. Especially after what Sydney produced last season. 

This appointment is definitely a change in approach but I think the goals have unchanged. 

I'm reserving my judgment until atleast Christmas. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

"Direct, long balls and physical" or counter attack and quick ball movement  is exactly how we should be playing because "Statistics show that due to that style of football" teams at the A league level have the highest probability of success and if we rely on "individuality and flair" then we are destined to fail. 

So yes, it seems as though he is a good fit.

9 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Poor appointment. Aside from his disastrous spell at Wigan his only first team coaching experience is in the English 4th tier and the Belgian 2nd tier.

Especially when you consider that Adelaide's new coach got Kaiserslautern promoted to the Bundesliga where they finished 7th and Wellington's new coach won the Eerste Divisie and has also coached in both the Eredivise and Jupiler Pro League.

Joyce does not have the experience, pedigree or past success of these other new A-League coaches (Marco Kurz and Darije Kalezic)

Even if he is a good youth coach (which is hard to quantify), he hasn't been appointed to a youth development role, he has been appointed head coach of the first team.

FFS, Wigan is a head case and any rational person would realize that he had no hope turning that club around in 4 months.

Enough with the Wigan crap already.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Embee said:

Any excuse to continue to wallow in misery eh?

I honestly don't know why some of you bother tbh. If the club makes you so despondent then go watch an NPL team or something.

So much this. I'm a fan of many different sporting teams, and am on many different forums regarding these teams, and I'm consistently amazed at the constant negativity and gloom around the club on this forum, it goes far above and beyond the negativity of any other forum I'm on.

2 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

So much this. I'm a fan of many different sporting teams, and am on many different forums regarding these teams, and I'm consistently amazed at the constant negativity and gloom around the club on this forum, it goes far above and beyond the negativity of any other forum I'm on.

We need the return of @Murfy1

17 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

My only conclusion is that if the club is even half the car crash you make it out to be then you are the world's biggest masochist. The reality is closer to you just being a sook when you don't get what you want.

• Like 1

I don't think that the franchise is a car crash, nor is the sky falling. I'm sure that the team will make the finals I just don't see us winning or playing in Asia and I don't think that we have a coach for us to go far in the ACL. I really hope that I'm wrong. As I said earlier unlike most posters here a trip to the football often involves a 700km round trip down the Hume or a decision to stay away from home for a few days (I also have an apartment in Melbourne, I'm not sleeping at AAMI Park) so the risk for me over the coaching appointment needs to be lower for yet another commitment of money (2 tickets) and our time organising our whole summer schedule around City home games. This appointment doesn't get over the bar for me because it's not ambitious enough. As I said I really hope that I'm wrong.

My point about AJAX is that the club board are responsible to the fans for their decisions around the direction of the club, our franchise owners aren't and the success of City is only a small piece of a greater football puzzle rather than the raison d'etre of the club.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Not sure about that. 

I genuinely feel CFG want us to become an Asian powerhouse.  The only thing I think has changed is how they think they are going to do it. Initially they wanted to win and do it with style "beauty" now I think they just want to win. Especially after what Sydney produced last season. 

This appointment is definitely a change in approach but I think the goals have unchanged. 

I agree with most of this - but I think it goes deeper and they realise that 'how' to win this league is perhaps different to most leagues around the world.

The level of player here doesn't auger well for European 'mainland' tactics of brain over braun - this is fine with the skillset of the worlds top % of players, but with such a low salary cap and limit on internationals, things have to be approached differently. Our league is probably closer to a lower level English league, than that of the western European leagues as physicality plays a bigger part. Perhaps the biggest part in determining success?

Perhaps this league is a 'development' league. Is that a bad thing? Is it wrong to suggest it is?

Whilst it is it's own league on the surface, fact is many of the younger players in the country will see it is a feeder to something else in Europe. A coach who can harness improvement from within is what is needed. You can only buy so much improvement, no matter who you are.

This doesnt mean they dont want to win this league, but the method to the madness has changed.

1 hour ago, Embee said:

'Style' is overrated in football IMO, I want my team to be succesful and win and if we accomplish it with more negative/pragmatic tactics then it doesn't bother me at all to be honest. We've trying playing with 'technique, individuality and flair' and it hasn't really gotten us anywhere. On the flip side you had Sydney last season who played a very physical and defensive style and walked the league.

Results > style.

I have for many years been a fan of style and flair in football... I've seen Portugal show flair and style and outplay, Greece, Spain, Netherlands, England, etc... and come away with nothing... 2016 we ditched style and flair and won our first Euro... Clearly showed that these days you do whatever you can to get results

52 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

What other Asian Teams? CFG only has a 20% share in Yokohama F. Marinos and that's because of the Nissan Sponsorship. A League basically is a development league anyway any decent young player ends going overseas.   

Edited by DFG_82

45 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Not sure about that. 

Jovan, I was trying to like that comment... particularly the "I'm reserving my judgment until atleast Christmas." But can't like more than 7 times per day... that sucks

I think we need to give the bloke a chance before we crucify him... He's still a better option then anyone we've previously had. 

Edited by PORCHO
:( Doesn't let me add a comment

2 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Why have they retained the same coaching staff apart from appointing a new head coach? Surely, muppets like Valkanis and Montermurro have FA to contribute. Waste of assistants IMO.

There's no guarantee that they are staying though. The head coach was only just announced and I catually haven't seen any of those guys around other then MV in the Galekovic video... Maybe they're staying/going but we'll find out soon enough what the deal is... I'm still hoping PK gets announced as Assistant Coach

2 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Why have they retained the same coaching staff apart from appointing a new head coach? Surely, muppets like Valkanis and Montermurro have FA to contribute. Waste of assistants IMO.

Montermurro to go back to coaching the Womens team maybe?

56 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

What other Asian Teams? CFG only has a 20% share in Yokohama F. Marinos and that's because of the Nissan Sponsorship. A League basically is a development league anyway any decent young player ends going overseas.   

CFG have recently had a huge Chinese investment, whilst that hasn't translated into a Chinese League team yet I can't see the Chinese investing in CFG to improve the ACL chances of Marinos or us over the longer term

Joyce: City job not a problem

Joyce comes in with the experience working with Hull City, Leeds United’s youth, Belgian club Royal Antwerp and spent eight years with Manchester United’s reserve team.

He was also recently in charge of then-Championship side Wigan Athletic where he had little success.

City Football Group managing director Brian Marwood oversaw Warren’s recruitment and has strong links in Manchester.

The 52-year-old Englishman acknowledged City won the FFA Cup last season, which was their first piece of silverware, but felt the most pressure was from himself to win the club their first A-League title and an AFC Asian Champions League (ACL) berth.

And with the restrictions seen in the A-League with the salary cap, youth players and foreigners, Joyce didn’t draw much difference to his time in Europe.

“It’s not really dissimilar to some of the challenges I’ve had in the past,” Joyce said.

“Reserve football, the better players, as soon as they start playing well either go into the first-team or  get sold, so that’s a challenge in itself.

“The other clubs that I’ve managed weren’t particularly good at paying the players on time, so that possessed a different set of problems and I’ve managed abroad in Belgium as well.

Warren+Joyce+Scott+Munn+Michael+Petrillo+Michael+Valkanis+Joey+Didulica+Joe+Montemurro.jpg&c=0

Joyce walks into City Football Academy for the first time with his new staff on Monday morning.

“There’s problems or challenges in every job, I wouldn’t look at it as problems, and I’d look at it as a challenge that if you want players to react, where nothing is a problem.

“That they’re up for everything, the approach, things they may not like doing with the same enthusiasm or doing things they love doing, that’s the attitude you want to see engrained in the players as well.”

Joyce had a light-hearted reaction saying “thanks”, after it was pointed out he perhaps wasn’t the rock star appointment the public were expecting.

The 52-year-old was looking to see the team's capabilities before making any drastic changes to the squad, regardless of age and reputation.

With the experience he has experience with Aussies Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka, Jacob Burns, Danny Milosevic, Shane Cansdell-Sherriff and Jamie McMaster, Joyce said he's watched plenty of Australian football over the years.

Joyce+Manchester+united.jpg&c=0

Joyce in United colours at Anfield coaching against Liverpool in 2014

Marwood said Joyce "sees football as a way of life, not a job" and the newly-appointed City boss elaborated on the comment.

“People aren’t turning up just to get the money, it’s all the feelings you want to have, that nobody can see,” Joyce said.

“You know inside yourself what you’ve done, achieved, what the bond has been like, the spirit. They’re the aims, the things money can’t buy.

“(You) try to aim for perfection on the training ground and in the games.

"If you get that on a consistent basis, you tend to win more games than lose and then the feeling of winning games or cups or a championship.”

Just now, PORCHO said:

:( montemurro and valkanis...

Don't care tbh. Valkanis at least has proven himself to be a title winning assistant and will be better off for the managing experience imo, and Montemurro has done well with the women's side. IMO assistants impact is near negligible anyway when you compare them; as long as they dance to the tune that the gaffer sets then they are really there as an aid and to bounce ideas off.

15 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

CFG have recently had a huge Chinese investment, whilst that hasn't translated into a Chinese League team yet I can't see the Chinese investing in CFG to improve the ACL chances of Marinos or us over the longer term

Go and read about what CFG is doing in China, and what that deal was really about. (An incredible deal for both parties).

A chinese 'club' is small fry compared to what they are doing - in fact committing to a single club could be counter-productive. They basically have the 'rights' to setup academies and structure at all junior levels throughout the whole country!

Sure, they may say one day a Chinese club could be on the radar, but I think it will be secondary to what they are doing.