Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

Interestingly this is his interview upon getting the Wigan role. I didn't find him overally convincing when describing his coaching philosophy and preferred playing style. He speaks more of solving problems and countering opponents tactically which hopefully you would be expected to have a good understanding of anyway as a coach but I get the impression he's not fussed how the result is achieved. Which maybe we need a bit more of but I'd be suprised if this sits well with CFG and their "philosophy." Anyway I'll let you guys be the judge of your impressions of his interview. 

Edited by n i k o

23 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

Joyce to be unveiled on Monday according to TWG.

Hard-nosed former Manchester United Academy chief Warren Joyce is expected to be unveiled on Monday as Melbourne City's next coach in a what is designed to be a new era of toughness for the club.
By 
Dave Lewis

Owners the City Football Group (CFG) aim to replace a perceived soft underbelly and a meekness of will during the club's genesis with a new steely approach.

It is believed they view the no-nonsense Englishman, known for his forthright approach, as the man to change the culture at the lavishly-backed but under-achieving outfit.

Melbourne City proved you can't manufacture greatness, so what's next?
The A-League's richest club spent more than any other this season, but still couldn't get past the first week of the finals. So where does Melbourne City go from here?

Joyce is steeped in red, after eight years at Old Trafford as a youth and reserve team coach, but that has not stopped arch-rivals Manchester City from turning to him for a new direction.

While Joyce has worked with likes of Paul Pogba at youth level while at United, the 52 year old's experience at senior level is limited.

The former Bolton, Preston and Burnley striker had a brief stint as player-coach at Hull City (1998-2000) but was sacked, somewhat controversially, after just four months in charge by Wigan Athletic back in March.

Latics chairman David Sharpe swung the axe just two weeks after Joyce underwent serious eye surgery as the club hurtled towards relegation to League One, despite him signing Joyce to a three-year deal.

None of that appears to have deterred Manchester City's director of football Brian Marwood from leaning towards Joyce as the man to bring success to Melbourne City, who have been unable translate sizeable investment into tangible reward during the CFG's three-and-a-half years of ownership.

Marwood deployed former England coach Roy Hodgson to undertake a review of the club's structures, as well as the playing and coaching ranks during Michael Valkanis's tenure as caretaker at the back end of last season.

And the conclusion was that a harder edge was needed at coaching level - after the stints of John van't Schip (twice) and John Aloisi - in order to realise the CFG's investment.

• Like 2

I'm now interested to see what happens to the remainder of the coaching team - Palatsides, Montemurro, Valkanis and Didulica. Will there be changes there I wonder? I'm going to guess that there will be - perhaps not immediately but in due course. The coaching team has to have a unified and united philosophy. Further, who we have as captain next season.

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

as inspiring as cold custard

I don't disagree, but I'm still not going to revoke my membership over an appointment before even giving the guy a chance.

EDIT: That being said, having read/listened to the above posts, if Joyce is a no-nonsense hard-cunt who looks to counter and adjust to opposition teams rather than roll out the same bullshit ponderous game-style every week it might not be quite as uninspiring as we think. 

Edited by Embee
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Embee said:

I don't disagree, but I'm still not going to revoke my membership over an appointment before even giving the guy a chance.

you don't have a 700km round trip to each game so that's understandable. This appointment doesn't look like a strong clear statement of intent on the face of it and I don't trust the franchise enough to invest the time and money for yet another season 'just in case'. I might come to the odd game if I'm already in Melbourne that weekend but I'm not organising yet another summer weekend season around cold custard.

I hope to be proven wrong but I won't buy a season ticket until I am proven wrong

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Interestingly this is his interview upon getting the Wigan role. I didn't find him overally convincing when describing his coaching philosophy and preferred playing style. He speaks more of solving problems and countering opponents tactically which hopefully you would be expected to have a good understanding of anyway as a coach but I get the impression he's not fussed how the result is achieved. Which maybe we need a bit more of but I'd be suprised if this sits well with CFG and their "philosophy." Anyway I'll let you guys be the judge of your impressions of his interview. 

Image result for john vant schip laughing

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Embee said:

EDIT: That being said, having read/listened to the above posts, if Joyce is a no-nonsense hard-cunt who looks to counter and adjust to opposition teams... 

...and i think this is the thing we need to recognize if this appointment is true. It sounds like they've listened to the RH review last season and have acted accordingly. Address the soft belly mentality by appointing a hard arse that will keep the egos in check.

Isn't this what we were all asking for only just a couple of months ago?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DFG_82 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if PK took up an assistant role with the senior team. Sorensen was never officially announced as leaving/retiring was he? Perhaps he will be our GK Coach. Don't see any reason why Bruno won't be captain for next season. 

lol at your last line.....unless it's contractual.

1 minute ago, jeffplz said:

He'll thrive with our players and resources just like he did with Rashford and Pogba. All signs are pointing to Wigan's lack of funds and quality that made them shit under Joyce.

But we have limited funds too, in a capped league.

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

But we have limited funds too, in a capped league.

Yeah, but fuckloads more in relation to the rest of the league. In comparison, Wigan had just been promoted from League 1 and their players weren't Championship quality (as i've read)

4 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Yeah, but fuckloads more in relation to the rest of the league. In comparison, Wigan had just been promoted from League 1 and their players weren't Championship quality (as i've read)

Well let's hope that they think with a underwhelming coach, keeping their head down by being awkwardly silent that the few players to be signed are going to make a difference.

Honestly he probably had more money at his disposal at Wigan then he will have now, don't forget he can only sign a couple of players with what's left in cap.

Edited by Mr MO

9 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

He'll thrive with our players and resources just like he did with Rashford and Pogba. All signs are pointing to Wigan's lack of funds and quality that made them shit under Joyce.

Didnt United let Pogba go and then have to pay a shitload to get him back when he got good.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Didnt United let Pogba go and then have to pay a shitload to get him back when he got good.

Nah it was the other way around

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

It's a surprising appointment (a foreigner with limited senior experience) and I'd prefer an Australian (ante Milicic specifically) but I know virtually nothing about him, so I'm just going to wait and see. Perhaps it will be an inspired choice.

I agree Shazza. I overreacted when I heard the news, lets see what happens. With a potential midfield of Kilkenny Brattan Carceras and Troisi you would have to be a real JVS to not be successful with that combination

Fan forum is place for us to dream. In the same time in the real world... CFG said last year that they will not spend above marketing value of A-League. They purchased the club with the world famous sport city in the name for peanuts. Interested in local talents, old players to get bums on seats. And not the very best coaches. World class training blah-blah facilities. They will not spend as much as locally sponsored big clubs. If you want big name marquees and manager then better change the club. We are not the richest club by spending. Mentioned Magilton and Lowe make sense and are very much the caliber we will be serviced. For instance, incompentent Lowe is the reason why Glory with arguably the best player Castro and squad, didn't win it. Like JVS with Mooy. On the soccer map Wigan > Melbourne. We need the coach who can at least play the best players on their natural position. Someone to simply understand that Colazo was LB, Bruno is striker, Brattan is DM, that we don't have AM, goes on...

4 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

Fan forum is place for us to dream. In the same time in the real world... CFG said last year that they will not spend above marketing value of A-League. They purchased the club with the world famous sport city in the name for peanuts. Interested in local talents, old players to get bums on seats. And not the very best coaches. World class training blah-blah facilities. They will not spend as much as locally sponsored big clubs. If you want big name marquees and manager then better change the club. We are not the richest club by spending. Mentioned Magilton and Lowe make sense and are very much the caliber we will be serviced. For instance, incompentent Lowe is the reason why Glory with arguably the best player Castro and squad, didn't win it. Like JVS with Mooy. On the soccer map Wigan > Melbourne. We need the coach who can at least play the best players on their natural position. Someone to simply understand that Colazo was LB, Bruno is striker, Brattan is DM, that we don't have AM, goes on...

Are you actually Warren Joyce who just joined this forum?

This signing makes sense. 

No nonsense, hard nut to put some c*nt into this club.

Hope he gets full control to f#ck off anyone that gets in his way.

It is quite refreshing that the Munn bullshit meter went off the charts at the end of last season and CFG acted decisively and appropriately.

Lets harden the fk up and play some football.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

And the quality of the forum continues to rise

• Like 2

I am quite literally astonished by this appointment.

So astonished I can't think of anything positive to say. I can only hope that Marwood saw something in him watching Utd reserves that I didn't see. Whilst they were well organised the football was very limited imo. Just hope this isn't another wasted season for you guys.

• Like 3

Very much in the "wait and see" camp with this one.

It worries me that he seems to be known more for his work with youth teams, but i'm happy to give him a chance.

I was worried for a while we were going to get some recycled a-league coach, so i'm happy in the sense that we've picked someone from very much left field. His lack of experience at a senior level worries me, time will tell if he's any good.

I'll give it,a 7/10 :up:

• Like 1

Can't say I've heard much about this bloke until the rumour mill / this forum said he's potentially on his way

If he is coming I have significant doubts, but feel we should reserve judgement and #believe given most of the visa players who CFG has signed have been solid (which says to me the club does vet incoming overseas personnel reasonably well) and that in reality the club has been on the rise under the CFG group for all but the second half of the season just finished.

Given that the same squad who had dropped off so badly last season had won FFA Cup in November and were sitting pretty mid season, IMO the CFG management had reason to show faith in the structure they had.  With hindsight they screwed the pooch, but then again it's always easier to find fault with hindsight.

In terms of Warren Joyce

Some Pros:

=> was a hard nut as a player; can't see him being different as a manager - and something that we need

=> was ok when coaching Hull in a time when Hull was a financial mess

=> has coaching pedigree in a Man Utd era under Alex Ferguson

Cons:

=> was shite at Wigan. However, it's worth noting that the season before, Wigan had won promotion from League One so you cant really say that the core base was world beating to start with - throw in the financial limitations and Joyce was rather hamstrung

=> hasn't won anything at senior level coaching wise, and has limited experience coaching senior level

=> has no experience with salary cap system or coaching here - will have to adjust

=> brings no marketability with him.  It's more important that he can actually coach by all means (we certainly don't want another bambi) but the club is still trying to win the hearts and minds of Melbourne. That's where a Roy Keane fits better 

• Like 1

It's the A League. Anyone with a decent senior coaching record in Europe will still be coaching in Europe. They wouldn't come to a pithy league in  Australia. His experience at youth level could really set a good foundation at the club. More than willing to give Joyce a go, if it really is him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 3 Points said:

It's the A League. Anyone with a decent senior coaching record in Europe will still be coaching in Europe. They wouldn't come to a pithy league in  Australia. His experience at youth level could really set a good foundation at the club. More than willing to give Joyce a go, if it really is him.

Right on the money. I think everyone on this forum wants a coach that has won 10 trophies at senior level, is a hard cunt, has a name, has worked in a salary capped league and has had sexy with 25 Cuban virgins at the same time. News flash this magical person doesn't exist. Dumping on a guy and saying it is underwhelming is pretty pointless when I'm pretty sure most people have little to no idea about this guy. But don't let commonsense get in the way of a sad Melbourne city/ heart story.

Honestly we should get a fucking councillor on these forums sometimes. 

• Like 5