Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

4 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

All this talk is cheap anyway.

I'm expecting to see a big name signing as a coach to back up all this talk otherwise all this means nothing.

Expect to be dissapointed then. 

One thing is certain whoever they appoint being a "big name" won't come into it.

I'm expecting  (more hoping ) he will become a big name. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I disagree. IMO it's important that we now have it on record. Up to now we've tended to blame CFG for our performances being a consequence of rigid adherence to the "City style." Mubarak has made it quite clear that winning is what counts. 

Hmm yes and no, i can see what you're saying

It is important in the sense that they finally publically acknowledged how poor we have been and how winning is all that counts. It's good to see (from a higher up perspective anyway) that it's time to cut the bullshit and start winning.

However, depending on the coach they sign will dictate how serious he is about this statement. We have seen such great investment everywhere else already, so their is no reason to doubt them in doing everything right to get the perfect coach. But i will hold my judgement until then.

31 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Expect to be dissapointed then. 

One thing is certain whoever they appoint being a "big name" won't come into it.

I'm expecting  (more hoping ) he will become a big name. 

Either is good.

Some of the suggestions on here (such as David Moyes) are pipe dreams. But if they do their homework and appoint a coach with a serious background in the game i'll be happy. 

Just get a coach who won't play bruno and timmy together ffs!

7 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Just get a coach who won't play bruno and timmy together ffs!

Actually I hope the opposite. 

We need someone tactically capable of using both. Both are weapons and if used properly could be dynamic. 

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Actually I hope the opposite. 

We need someone tactically capable of using both. Both are weapons and if used properly could be dynamic. 

From seeing them last season i don't think personally they can coexist on the pitch together, but i'm more then happy to be proven wrong.

4 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

From seeing them last season i don't think personally they can coexist on the pitch together, but i'm more then happy to be proven wrong.

True. It was interesting a couple times we played 4231 but maybe 442 or a varient could work. But whatever system Cahill and Fornaroli desperately need a bonafide #10. This position above all needs to be nailed. If we can get a gun AM I know both would smash it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

If you listen to Khaldoon al Mubarak's interview you will have no doubt about the will of CFG to have all their teams successful and winning silverware on a regular basis.

big talk is cheap.  they kept JVS.   they clearly have other priorities for melbourne city.  until they sign a decent manager i would believe nothing else.

13 minutes ago, nah brah said:

big talk is cheap.  they kept JVS.   they clearly have other priorities for melbourne city.  until they sign a decent manager i would believe nothing else.

That's a big call to make about the Chairman of City Football Group, Khaldoon al Mubarak. 

Its easy to confuse errors with intention. Obviously they ballsed up last season. But to suggest they have other priorities or intentions  (which I'm assuming he meant) is nonsense. 

They have proven time and again they are driven to succeed in Melbourne problem they have failed thus far. 

Recent few minutes mention in that interview is yes talk but ultimately will be what is delivered. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

4-4-2 with a diamond in midfield. Have a genuine number ten sitting behind Cahill and Bruno feeding them the ball. Simples.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, belaguttman said:

They are driven to succeed but there's been little evidence that they have understood the problem until that video. 3 wasted seasons

Bit harsh Bela. They understood enough this season to send in Hodgson on a fact-finding mission. You have to let the clubs in the CFG stable manage themselves to a fair extent, otherwise you're just a Head Office poking your nose into everything at the slightest opportunity.

Just on the impending announcement on a manager, no doubt CFG are very strategic in how they plan out these things.

I think that they were never going to announce anything major until the chairman had his say, and now I reckon they are waiting to resolve the Mooy situation, which is a 'good news' story for the club.  Also, 31 May was a milestone date in terms of 'opt-in'.

Also Khaldoon's assessment and verdict on what needs to happen was bang on in terms of what is needed to turn supporters attitude around and make the club a success.  

• Like 6

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Bit harsh Bela. They understood enough this season to send in Hodgson on a fact-finding mission. You have to let the clubs in the CFG stable manage themselves to a fair extent, otherwise you're just a Head Office poking your nose into everything at the slightest opportunity.

Yeah I was a bit harsh, they realised a few weeks earlier when Roy arrived

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexDaGroza said:

Would like to see us playing a 5-3-2 tbh. That way we get some width and can play Timmy and Bruno at the same time.  Just means cfg need to get those full back positions spot on which time and time again has proven to be difficult

We don't need to play 5 at the back, we just need to recruit decent defenders and have a decent coach that can structure the team to defend well and then transition well into attack.

• Like 1

On 2017-6-1 at 8:32 PM, belaguttman said:

More accurate to say that the team was derailed with the initial appointment of JVS

but they kept him.

13 hours ago, playmaker said:

4 CBs in a deep defensive line and the other 6 players can work out how to score goals on a counter. We will win everything.

the "sydney" 

20 hours ago, AlexDaGroza said:

Would like to see us playing a 5-3-2 tbh. That way we get some width and can play Timmy and Bruno at the same time.  Just means cfg need to get those full back positions spot on which time and time again has proven to be difficult

Play like Juventus, Chelsea and Italy.

I like the sound of that

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

This waiting around for news is beginning to get to me. I'm a nervous wreck and drinking too much...

Same but I don't drink. I think a 3-4-3 is the right shape in the Chelsea / Spurs mould. It offers a lot of flexibility and plenty of our players fit well into the setup. We just need to sign some decent cb's, a left wing back and marquee attacking player. 

12 hours ago, moops said:

Adelaide tweeted they had signed a German manager, they just aren't announcing who right now, they took him to watch the AFL lol.

That means we are the only team without a manager, it's starting to bother me now.

10 hours ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Same shit every year. Late decision leads to bad season. 

I don't think it's quite crisis time yet. Player contracts run from 1st June to 31st May, so we're really only just into the pre-season for 2016/17, and players don't report for training until 19th June.

But it would be nice to know, wouldn't it...about both the new gaffer and additions to the squad.

Agree with @Heart of Melbourne but no fucks given right now about not having a manager. Maybe in the same boat as Adelaide but CFG dont tell us shit, maybe old mate has already walked through headquaters and picked players he wants to target in the offseason. Anyways im sure David Moyes is finding todays weather as a superb winters day in Melbourne

• Like 1

On 2017-6-2 at 8:27 PM, belaguttman said:

We don't need to play 5 at the back, we just need to recruit decent defenders and have a decent coach that can structure the team to defend well and then transition well into attack.

Playing 5 at the back doesnt have to be a defensive formation. Essentially its the same as playing 3 at the back with wide players who need to get back and defend

1 hour ago, HeartOfCity said:

Agree with @Heart of Melbourne but no fucks given right now about not having a manager. Maybe in the same boat as Adelaide but CFG dont tell us shit, maybe old mate has already walked through headquaters and picked players he wants to target in the offseason. Anyways im sure David Moyes is finding todays weather as a superb winters day in Melbourne

The problem is we should have signed a manager 2 weeks after the season ended. We should know by now who our manager is. We should know what is happening in bundoora atm but we dont because nothing has yet happened. I would be upset if we dont sign a good manager and if we dont sign him by the end of next week.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

The problem is we should have signed a manager 2 weeks after the season ended. We should know by now who our manager is. We should know what is happening in bundoora atm but we dont because nothing has yet happened. I would be upset if we dont sign a good manager and if we dont sign him by the end of next week.

i can not believe it hasnt been sorted yet.  the club needs to keep its fans in the loop.  we are fkn mushrooms.

1 hour ago, nah brah said:

i can not believe it hasnt been sorted yet.  the club needs to keep its fans in the loop.  we are fkn mushrooms.

Why? What do they need to say? 

'Hi everyone, just letting you all know we'll tell you about our new manager when we tell you. Cheers!'

FWIW, I reckon today is the day. Won't cry though if it isn't. 

Won't there be a press conference/event scheduled for any major announcement - be it manager or player? I can't imagine us hiring an overseas manager without such an event.

What we need is an inside line to someone like Lynch or Davutovic so they let us know when they receive notice of such.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Won't there be a press conference/event scheduled for any major announcement - be it manager or player? I can't imagine us hiring an overseas manager without such an event.

What we need is an inside line to someone like Lynch or Davutovic so they let us know when they receive notice of such.

The minute the press notification goes out to the media is exactly when we'll find out who our manager is imo. No journo has the willpower to not give the scoop. I'd say its pretty likely we'll know who our man is on the morning of, if not the night before of the presser.

On 04/06/2017 at 11:05 AM, AlexDaGroza said:

Playing 5 at the back doesnt have to be a defensive formation. Essentially its the same as playing 3 at the back with wide players who need to get back and defend

True, formation descriptions are nominal anyway, its how the players are used. We can play higher up the pitch as we unsuccessfully try to do if we have recruited 4 good defenders and if our midfield can maintain possession. Our slow ball movement in midfield has put our midfielders under too much pressure and early turnover has put our defenders under too much pressure, compounded by poor defensive structure. 5 at the back is more suited to a counter-attacking style than it is to possession football.