Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

16 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

With you completely on this, and wonder how come a "mentoring" process wasn't put in sooner.  

IMO Hodgson is a solid coach who unfortunately will be remembered (a.) as  a typical England Football Manager who has to deal with under performing elite players against an over the top optimistic media who think England should win everything, and (b.) a very poor Liverpool tenure. Doesn't mean he'd do well here, but way better than most

IMO England don't really have under performing managers. What they have is over rated teams.

A very experienced manager like Hodgson would be a big help to Valkanis.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

roberto mancini is a free agent

Claudio ranieri is a free agent

We probably have a 1% chance of getting these coaches and i am probably talking shit, but if we had one of these coaches we would win every season untill they retire.

But at what cost

A lot less than 1%. My expectation is that we will either get someone promoted from a more junior role in the CFG network or a low profile European coach with a decent amount of experience in low profile leagues. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Do we completely rule out Hodgson getting the job?

Completely rule out? Hard to do tgT but I think it's very unlikely.

At 70 I imagine he's not looking for a 2 year minimum coaching stint down under. Too far from family, especially grandkids if he has them & he's at an age when a new full time challenge is not normally what people are looking for.

i would have thought shorter term consultancy work like this would be much more his go.

Then you have his price. I can't imagine CFG would want to pay massive dollars.

33 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I still put my money on Amor as he is a certainty to leave adelaide and they are chasing Gabriel Bastituta now anyway.

Amor and Hodgson marshalling the troops would lead to a pretty solid pre-season 

God, I hope not Amor. Adelaide were a rabble last night.

• Like 2

On 08/04/2017 at 7:56 AM, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

roberto mancini is a free agent

Zero chance that CFG hire someone that they already fired for being so argumentative that barely a single person from the board to the admin staff could stand him by the end.

I love Mancini for what he accomplished in Manchester, but I have to be completely honest: talk of him being sacked for failing to win the league again and for losing the FA Cup in 2013 are off the mark. He was fired because he ended up with barely any friends left at the club because of his abrasive manner with those he interacted.

On a completely different note, and I know that this hasn't really been raised in some time but I just wanted to get it out there: I've finally worked out where Gombau went when he went to NYC. I know a lot of people seem to have (or, did have) this theory that he was working for NYCFC and thus being kept in tactical reserve until, like King Arthur or a well-timed Dominos Pizza, he is needed most by his people. He's actually working to spearhead David Villa's own "DV7" academy, which is a CFG-like-but-not-CFG-like group of academies which aren't owned but all co-operate to share a DV-based style of football which is their signature. Gombau specifically has been designing what this style of football should look like:

http://www.manhattankickersfc.com/pages/DV7

Of course, Villa is himself a NYCFC player, so there's still very much a link, but he's conclusively not on CFG's payroll and my gut feeling is that the fact that he's not working directly for CFG suggests that he's very much independent from them and would not necessarily feel compelled to move if they asked him.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Falastur said:

Zero chance that CFG hire someone that they already fired for being so argumentative that barely a single person from the board to the admin staff could stand him by the end.

I love Mancini for what he accomplished in Manchester, but I have to be completely honest: talk of him being sacked for failing to win the league again and for losing the FA Cup in 2013 are off the mark. He was fired because he ended up with barely any friends left at the club because of his abrasive manner with those he interacted.

On a completely different note, and I know that this hasn't really been raised in some time but I just wanted to get it out there: I've finally worked out where Gombau went when he went to NYC. I know a lot of people seem to have (or, did have) this theory that he was working for NYCFC and thus being kept in tactical reserve until, like King Arthur or a well-timed Dominos Pizza, he is needed most by his people. He's actually working to spearhead David Villa's own "DV7" academy, which is a CFG-like-but-not-CFG-like group of academies which aren't owned but all co-operate to share a DV-based style of football which is their signature. Gombau specifically has been designing what this style of football should look like:

Of course, Villa is himself a NYCFC player, so there's still very much a link, but he's conclusively not on CFG's payroll and my gut feeling is that the fact that he's not working directly for CFG suggests that he's very much independent from them and would not necessarily feel compelled to move if they asked him.

A while back I did some research on this as well but I did not post it. There were photos of him with the DV academy that was setup in Puerto Rico. However after that he was appointed Olyroos coach as per this link:

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/josep-gombau-appointed-as-olyroos-coach/ynlwn4pqona1dqmvvqein1rk

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

A while back I did some research on this as well but I did not post it. There were photos of him with the DV academy that was setup in Puerto Rico. However after that he was appointed Olyroos coach as per this link:

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/josep-gombau-appointed-as-olyroos-coach/ynlwn4pqona1dqmvvqein1rk

I think he must be doing both jobs at the same time, because the Manhattan Kickers article was written in September 2016, three months after the Olyroos appointment?

14 hours ago, Falastur said:

Sorry mate but you are Sandra Sully with the late news on this one. This was publicised in Australia and posted about on here somewhere over a year ago.

Now if he is still involved despite being ollyroos coach, then that is news.

Edited by Shahanga

10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Sorry mate but you are Sandra Sully with the late news on this one. This was publicised in Australia and posted about on here somewhere over a year ago.

Now if he is still involved despite being ollyroos coach, then that is news.

From the Herald Sun 13th January 2017

Gombau was appointed technical director of David Villa’s overseas academy (DV7) in January last year.

It’s believed that he retained that post for some time after his Olyroos appointment last June.

He says he has since resigned but it is not clear when his resignation took place.

Gombau’s former Hong Kong club, Kitchee FC, announced a partnership with DV7 on December 9.

The Lunar New Year Cup tournament was then revived.

A-League chief Greg O’Rourke emailed clubs on December 6 revealing FFA had accepted an invitation from tournament organisers.

FFA appointed Gombau, 40, as full-time Olyroos coach and second Socceroos assistant coach. (Note from JW - confirmed by FFA late June 2016)

Gombau features on the website of DV7, which has academies in New York, Puerto Rico, Spain, Korea and the Dominican Republic and now Hong Kong.

However, his biography was removed from the site on Friday after the Herald Sun questioned FFA.

“We congratulate our Sporting Director, Josep Gombau, who has been named FFA head coach of the men’s Under 23 Olympic team (Olyroos),’’ the DV7 website reads.

“Gombau has worked to construct the project and methodology of DV7 Soccer Academy. A global project… to which Gombau will continue serving as a founding member and international ambassador.’’

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

HK just got the sack from Watford

We've seen what "tough" managers such as Arnold and Muscat can do with squads that are no better than ours, and I don't rate Kewell as being "tough" enough to get what we need at City. I hope we don't go near him.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I can very well see CFG being interested in Ange to be the coach after his Socceroos stint. Problem is we have another season before that. If this is true could they bring in a step in manager that's only interested in a one season stint and then have Ange for the 2018/2019 season. He would very well fit in with the philosophy I'd imagine. He has expressed interest in going overseas but he is also young however through CFG this may be the stepping stone he needs. Could very well see Ange and Paddy as assistant the following year. Doesn't provide much thought for this next season but it's an interesting prospect. 

37 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I can very well see CFG being interested in Ange to be the coach after his Socceroos stint. Problem is we have another season before that. If this is true could they bring in a step in manager that's only interested in a one season stint and then have Ange for the 2018/2019 season. He would very well fit in with the philosophy I'd imagine. He has expressed interest in going overseas but he is also young however through CFG this may be the stepping stone he needs. Could very well see Ange and Paddy as assistant the following year. Doesn't provide much thought for this next season but it's an interesting prospect. 

I doubt that Ange would come to City. Too much baggage there involving former Heart Chairman (and City life member) Peter Sidwell.