Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

15 hours ago, Jovan said:

No actually your point was that no coach ever has transformed a side over a pre season. Which is just wrong.

Secondly I don't think any reasonable poster has called for Wazza to be replaced. 

My personal opinion is that after last night I'm worried. Seriously worried that CFG have got this appointment completely wrong. Now I'm going to stand by Wazza and support the bloke until he no longer deserves it and nothing before round 6 or 7. 

IMO any calls for Wazza's head are completely unreasonable until it's beyond reasonable doubt that he's incapable of using the players at his disposal to best advantage.
I doubt that he's had any significant input into the signings made so far, except for Carrusca - responsibility for the others lies firmly with  Petrillo and CFG. He's not responsible for past signings either - such as Bouzanis on a 3-year contract, the exchange of Mauk for Malik, for the signing of Kamau etc. etc. He's not responsible for not signing an injury-replacement for Brandan (originally forecast to miss almost all of 2017-18). He's not responsible for the retention of Montemurro and Valkanis as assistant coaches. And so on and so on.
Like many others I'm concerned about the performances so far. Conceding goals from penalties and free-kicks just outside the box, and our inability to do much creatively going forward. But IMO we have to give time for things to settle, especially if these three rumoured additional signings do eventuate. I hope I can remember this post and stick with Wazza until half-way through the season at least. The A-League can change very quickly, as Adelaide showed in 2015-16.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

IMO any calls for Wazza's head are completely unreasonable until it's beyond reasonable doubt that he's incapable of using the players at his disposal to best advantage.
I doubt that he's had any significant input into the signings made so far, except for Carrusca - responsibility for the others lies firmly with with Petrillo and CFG. He's not responsible for past signings either - such as Bouzanis on a 3-year contract, the exchange of Mauk for Malik, for the signing of Kamau etc. etc. He's not responsible for not signing an injury-replacement for Brandan (originally forecast to miss almost all of 2017-18). He's not responsible for the retention of Montemurro and Valkanis as assistant coaches. And so on and so on.
Like many others I'm concerned about the performances so far. Conceding goals from penalties and free-kicks just outside the box, and our inability to do much creatively going forward. But IMO we have to give time for things to settle, especially if these three rumoured additional signings do eventuate. I hope I can remember this post and stick with Wazza until half-way through the season at least. The A-League can change very quickly, as Adelaide showed in 2015-16.

Agreed. 

As a side note I'm a hell of a lot more comfortable with conceding goals via free kicks and pens than i am from open play. Those sort of things are swings and roundabouts imo.

Sometimes there's just not a lot you can do in those situations, whereas getting ripped open in general play like last year is generally down to dreadful defending.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Agreed. 

As a side note I'm a hell of a lot more comfortable with conceding goals via free kicks and pens than i am from open play. Those sort of things are swings and roundabouts imo.

Sometimes there's just not a lot you can do in those situations, whereas getting ripped open in general play like last year is generally down to dreadful defending.

I'm opposite. Coping goals from frees and pens are more often than not avoidable. Rash or clumsy challenges in or around the box does my head in and in a battling side coach killers. La Rocca prime example. (Obvious referee blunders are of course a caveat)

Being scored against from well worked opposition moves or high quality strikes is frustrating but preferable to me.

But each to their own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

I'm opposite. Coping goals from frees and pens are more often than not avoidable. Rash or clumsy challenges in or around the box does my head in and in a battling side coach killers. La Rocca prime example. (Obvious referee blunders are of course a caveat)

Being scored against from well worked opposition moves or high quality strikes is frustrating but preferable to me.

But each to their own.

Interesting take. Obv no-one likes to see unnecessary fouls or pens given away in that  area of the ground, but many of the ones at that level are born out of a necessity to stop a pretty decent goal-scoring opportunity. At the end of the day a free kick in particular is less risky to a defence than a through on goal shot; the attacking team still needs to put it in over a wall.

• Like 1

Wazza says in the papers that in best case scenario  (new players) we won't be ready until round 3. You can't just gather new players and start playing well in planned game style.

Means that the Club people shared the same opinion as some posters: it's a long preseason, why rush before actual kick off. 

We play in only two competions, Cup and League.  From first we are eliminated. For the second will not be ready on time.

Australia is not the preferred destination for players. It's a football backwater, and we can't entice them (except marquees) with big payments because of the cap. With most European players, for example, the new contract year starts on 1st July, so they don't jump at an offer from here unless they've shopped around in the Euro leagues for a couple of months, hoping to get another club there.

These factors affect all the clubs, not just City. For example, Newcastle have just signed (subject to medical) a player last with AEK Athens. That said, it does seem that City are slow with signings, but could that be because we set our sights higher than some other A-League clubs?

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Australia is not the preferred destination for players. It's a football backwater, and we can't entice them (except marquees) with big payments because of the cap. With most European players, for example, the new contract year starts on 1st July, so they don't jump at an offer from here unless they've shopped around in the Euro leagues for a couple of months, hoping to get another club there.

These factors affect all the clubs, not just City. For example, Newcastle have just signed (subject to medical) a player last with AEK Athens. That said, it does seem that City are slow with signings, but could that be because we set our sights higher than some other A-League clubs?

I don't know but I think @Imtellingyou has a fair point. Surely it's not too much to ask the club is actually ready for round 1?

every other club seems to be able to do it.

13 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I don't know but I think @Imtellingyou has a fair point. Surely it's not too much to ask the club is actually ready for round 1?

every other club seems to be able to do it.

No, it's not too much to ask. But, let's look at it. We're allegedly signing three players. One is Budzinski, who's been held up by visa problems. Two is an injury replacement for Bruno, and the club can't be expected to be able to do that immediately. Three is possibly a right back, but we don't know any details.

But, as I said,  we do appear to be slow to move when compared with the other clubs.

Wazza laying down the foundations for excuses nice and early.

RD 6: Look I am confident our results will turn around. The boys are beginning to gell.

RD 15: I think we are competitive, we have had unlucky lapses. I am still confident to stay in the 6

RD 27: Look this season has been a learning curve for all of us, its my first year here and I have learnt a lot. I expect to challenge for the 6 next season.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's funny how people are getting so concerned about Wazza's ways when he was only able to field a substandard team with 4 of our best attacker not available for the full 90 minutes.

Has anyone thought about how any other team would have gone given the same scenario. Not well I bet and any other coach would have had to change tactics to try and nullifying the smurf's attacking potential. 

So any criticism or concern resulting from the FFA cup match performance or presumptions for the future is just not called for really. Until we see our team's performance with a full starting list which includes the players to come who will clearly address our deficiencies, then we should be optimistic until reality proves otherwise.

46 minutes ago, playmaker said:

It's funny how people are getting so concerned about Wazza's ways when he was only able to field a substandard team with 4 of our best attacker not available for the full 90 minutes.

Has anyone thought about how any other team would have gone given the same scenario. Not well I bet and any other coach would have had to change tactics to try and nullifying the smurf's attacking potential. 

So any criticism or concern resulting from the FFA cup match performance or presumptions for the future is just not called for really. Until we see our team's performance with a full starting list which includes the players to come who will clearly address our deficiencies, then we should be optimistic until reality proves otherwise.

Is a right back included with regards to players to come? Or is it just a marquee AM & an injury replacement for bruno.

3 hours ago, playmaker said:

Chill mate, it's just a discussion, no one's gone hard on Wazza.

6 hours ago, playmaker said:

Remember that game when we had dispended players, remember our young guns coming in?

We have our team, Wazza had a team and he chose his, was it the right team?

Edited for discussion.

Edited by moops

20 minutes ago, Dylan said:

If you are trying to get through to a bloke that keeps picking Malik as a starter Id go to twitter too

Of course Waz could turn out to be shit, im waiting till R3 to make my decision.

Idk what deal was offered to Valkanis but why did he stay? Its like breaking up with your ex but staying with her while she gets fucked by another man, hes a cuck. Waz might turn out to be a better root or not, time will tell.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

I'd imagine for Valkanis in the back of his mind he didn't beleive the job was going to be his. He would have already been preparing to retake an assistant coaching role prior to last seasons end. I don't agree with the analogy @haz because of this very reason. Anyway Valkanis is more like the friend of a 9/10 stunner that has just broken up with someone and they end up fucking on the rebound but in the back of his mind he knows it won't go anywhere but he's damn happy he got the opportunity and is now content to go back to being a friend now that he has had his shot. Pun intended. 

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I'd imagine for Valkanis in the back of his mind he didn't beleive the job was going to be his. He would have already been preparing to retake an assistant coaching role prior to last seasons end. I don't agree with the analogy @haz because of this very reason. Anyway Valkanis is more like the friend of a 9/10 stunner that has just broken up with someone and they end up fucking on the rebound but in the back of his mind he knows it won't go anywhere but he's damn happy he got the opportunity and is now content to go back to being a friend now that he has had his shot. Pun intended. 

Ha+ Valkanis was the hook-up while the girl was sad and had no-one to turn to.

The 9/10 girl was originally a 3/10 but after puberty and making a fair amount of money shes now a 9/10. But is still a bit awkard and not as confident as other 9/10s

Edited by haz
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Inferno said:

I think a lot of you are harsh on Valkanis. He was a caretaker last season  and was never meant to be a head coach. He is an assistant and a good one in my opinion. 

They said he was in the running to take over as head coach but the way the season ended that went out the door.

3 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

I can imagine he’s harsh and maybe unapproachable by some players, but I doubt there’s a rift at this point. Rift implies they are not communicating, hate each other. bull.

Maybe the Fashionistas in the team are agaisnt him wearing shorts

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

While I doubt we'll see any similarities in the football that they play, Ange Postecoglou was disliked by staff and kicked out about half the team in his first season in charge at Brisbane.

Its a good point. Perhaps more relevant from a style point of view, but Arnold had a shocking season at Sydney in 15-16 with a fair bit off turbulence before turning the ship to the best season ever last year.

Not making excuses whatsoever, but they are points worth noting.

Anyway, as many have said, Lets give it at least a month before we judge.

Supporters generally (myself included) are far too quick to write-off coaches.

Coaches need a fair bit of time to transfer in/out the players they need/don't need, implement their style and even change the culture in some cases. This is true in every sport. 

I hope we give him the season at the very least. 

6 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Supporters generally (myself included) are far too quick to write-off coaches.

Coaches need a fair bit of time to transfer in/out the players they need/don't need, implement their style and even change the culture in some cases. This is true in every sport. 

I hope we give him the season at the very least.

Pffttt... I want him tarred and feathered if we don't have at least 9 points from the first 3 rounds with a goal difference of +15.

6 hours ago, Tommykins said:

I think the year he took charge early in the year he lead them to the worst points total in Roar history?

The only reason they didn't get the wooden spoon after he took over was due to the points accumulated under Farina. It seemed like a path of destruction and all the "keyboard hardmen" wanted Ange gone!

@Harrison is right. Takes a while to see what's happening. He needs at least half the season.

Having said that I've made some negative predictions, but that's not the same as calling for the coach's head.

I don't buy the "it takes time" argument in this situation. 

Wazza has had a 3 months to organize what he wants. He has a massive behind the scenes set up to get what he wants to be able to put together a competitive team. A after that Cup performance,  the team and him personally ballsed it up massively. 

Now I'm not suggesting for a second that he needs to go or be replaced but from his first test the team and he as head coach failed miserably. 

But to say he needs time doesn't wash with me. How long? 6 months? Or are we going to repeat the Aliosi debacle.

Wazza was announced June 19. So for argument sake lets say he has had all of July August and September to put together a decent playing team and for further arguments sake should be compared directly to Adelaide and their development. Mind you they had a very poor core squad to begin with. 

So basically Wazza has had plenty of time and resources and because so zero excuses. 

As I've stated several times I'll wait till round 7 but what I've seen so far doesn't fill me with any joy.