Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

I don't know enough names to provide a useful suggestion but I want to think about some of the qualities that the coach will need to have. For starters, how much of a teaching/development coach should they be, given some of the young names that we have on our books? The command of English would be useful for marketing purposes and communicating with the players (assuming that CFG don't hire a translator); Would they need to be wedded to a philosophy or would they need to be adaptable to match the quality that the club has as well as matching wits with other coaches?

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I don't know enough names to provide a useful suggestion but I want to think about some of the qualities that the coach will need to have. For starters, how much of a teaching/development coach should they be, given some of the young names that we have on our books? The command of English would be useful for marketing purposes and communicating with the players (assuming that CFG don't hire a translator); Would they need to be wedded to a philosophy or would they need to be adaptable to match the quality that the club has as well as matching wits with other coaches?

I'll stick my neck out and say that IMO we need a Head Coach who is not a teaching/development coach in the mould of JvS. Teaching and development is primarily the role of the NPL/NYL coach. Sure the Head Coach takes note of what's happening, but IMO one of JvS' weaknesses was his habit of suddenly throwing a youth player into the seniors in a critical match. IMO a good command of English is essential, and also the Head Coach must be adaptable - surely another of JvS' weaknesses was his insistence on playing "the way we want to play" even when it was not working. However, on that last point he was sometimes lauded during his Heart days as being able to change the team structure during a match to meet a set of new circumstances, and I think this "play the way we want to play" is a result of being part of CFG. A new coach may find it difficult in that respect.

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Most important thing is that they take their time and use the full resources of CFG. However long it takes its critical that they make the right choice

...and give him a contract that is performance-based rather than fixed term.

Has to be a line in the sand moment for this club.

Feel for JVS's situation and wish him and his family all the best, but this is an absolute blessing to have him depart our club. But only if we make the right decision on the next manager.

This is one of the most lucrative jobs in Asia, the fact you are given resources to assemble a squad to win titles, world class facilities, everything that comes with being involved in the city group. 

The next man in the role should be an absolute game changer. Should put us on the Asian map and take this league by storm.

Cheaping out here would be a disaster. For all the talk of Soriano and co about making us a massive club, time for them to put up or shut up.

Very interested to see what occurs.

I agree with Playmaker above. In 7 years (bar an 8 week) stint this club has been rubbish defensively. Given the flair we have up top and open football, if we can shut down the back end of the park we will destroy this league. Get a coach who knows how to organise a defense and build from the back. It's not sexy, it's not the CFG way necessarily - but it will bring us silverware. Attacking constantly and high pressing can work with world class players, super fit professionals and an unlimited purse. This is the A-league - a bit of pragmatism is required. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

I agree with Playmaker above. In 7 years (bar an 8 week) stint this club has been rubbish defensively. Given the flair we have up top and open football, if we can shut down the back end of the park we will destroy this league. Get a coach who knows how to organise a defense and build from the back. It's not sexy, it's not the CFG way necessarily - but it will bring us silverware. Attacking constantly and high pressing can work with world class players, super fit professionals and an unlimited purse. This is the A-league - a bit of pragmatism is required. 

And furthermore the stats show that it's the most unsuccessful way to play A league football.

Edited by playmaker

The challenge will be finding someone who can be successful in a salary capped league, whilst also meeting CFGs required style of play. Perhaps a manager who prefers a technical game, with a solid defensive base, and freedom up front for the attacking 3rd. Perhaps this game plan could be the compromise CFG needs for Melbourne whilst the salary cap exists. 

• Like 2

Us getting the 'perfect' manager now is probably more a pipe dream than anything. After all Manchester has 'the best' manager in the world yet they aren't at the top of the ladder. Doesn't mean they won't be eventually but no coach is perfect. And no one coach can step into any environment and succeed as evident by Pep. The Aleague is no different in that it's unique and brings with it its own challenges. I hope that whoever we get is able to take the team to new heights. I'm confident that the new manager will play a role in getting us to lift our first aleague championship, eventually. However, expecting us to dominate from the get go just because of a manager is hopeful at best. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Will be the most important decision CFG have made so far. Another 3 years of mediocrity and under whelming crowds and questions will start to be asked about the value of their investment. 

Needs to be performance based, and two years only for starters. Incumbent must be an experienced Head Coach/Manager, experienced with the style of football played in Australia, and a good man manager particularly with senior players who might have prima donna tendencies. Please not another whose interest/experience is primarily with young players.

I think this morning it's beginning to sink in - this really is "the end of an era" for the club. The new appointment does need to be a bold statement of where we want to go.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

IMO Milicic is the best candidate having served lengthy apprenticeships under JVS, Popovic and most importantly Ange. The only thing he hasn’t done is coach a team himself but he’s certainly got everything you’d want otherwise.
I think Gombau is the most likely however; CFG have certainly been positioning him for a while. Wait and see.

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

Us getting the 'perfect' manager now is probably more a pipe dream than anything. After all Manchester has 'the best' manager in the world yet they aren't at the top of the ladder. Doesn't mean they won't be eventually but no coach is perfect. And no one coach can step into any environment and succeed as evident by Pep. The Aleague is no different in that it's unique and brings with it its own challenges. I hope that whoever we get is able to take the team to new heights. I'm confident that the new manager will play a role in getting us to lift our first aleague championship, eventually. However, expecting us to dominate from the get go just because of a manager is hopeful at best. 

It won't take much to get a squad like ours to start winning again. A coach with a more balance philosophy and initially targeting our lack of defensive solidity would make a significant impact. Also if there is less focus on the high press, high possession tactics, then we won't have players running out of legs by the 60th minute which will result in far less goals conceded overall.

• Like 2

What I don't want to see a cheap coach to come in and act as a "Puppet" to CFG's game plan and tactics.

I think to have a guess as to who we will hire, is to take a look at previous CFG dealings.

My money would be on,

• Gombau -> The coach who fits "The Style" with HAL experience
  • Arteta (Or someone within CFG) -> The coach who has been trained with "The Style"
  • Popa -> The coach with HAL experience and has been successful (See Kreis' appointment to NYFC)