Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

1 minute ago, Originalmeme said:

Knights stadium would be to have upgraded and up for use. The infrastructure is already there. Having played there myself it could work well with an upgrade

Would need a huge upgrade to meet FFA requirements on below-decks facilities. Why should FFA/A-League/A-League clubs subsidise such an upgrade when they can rent one down in Geelong for two seasons?

15 hours ago, HughJass said:

One of the comments on Facebook suggested that maybe city leaked it to see the reaction they'd get.... New ceo New way of doing things? 

If they did, they are dumber than I thought not to know what the reaction would be.

'Step right up! Step right up! The circus is in town.'

15 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I’ve got better things to do than watch a poor mans Man City play some evil twisted version of football. CFG can get fucked.

Gold.

Can the actives make this into a banner.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fiji19 said:

I still think joyce will remain at City next season but not as first team coach

What is the point of that? They should faq him right away as far away as possible from this club.

I can't believe he himself hasn't said he'll be leaving end of the season. Surely, he can see he is the most hated man by everyone.

1 hour ago, Tony999 said:

What is the point of that? They should faq him right away as far away as possible from this club.

I can't believe he himself hasn't said he'll be leaving end of the season. Surely, he can see he is the most hated man by everyone.

IMO there are people out there at Bundoora who have an appreciation of what the fans think about the club in its present state, but the impression I'm getting is that certain things are dictated to them by Manchester and there's not a lot the local people can do about it.

Simon Pearce thinks (and is paid handsomely to think) CFG is God's gift (well, if not God's, certainly Mohammed's) to football, and the top level at Bundoora is paid to see what Manchester wants them to see. Joyce is one of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanz said:

What if they kept him but gave us two blockbuster marquees?

To be honest I'd be happy if our 2 marquees played most games.

It would be interesting to actually see how many games our Marquees played since takeover and compared to our rivals. Add Visas in that and without knowing I'd say we would be in the lower end of the "big clubs that actually sign marquees".

3 hours ago, Hanz said:

What if they kept him but gave us two blockbuster marquees?

What odds do you reckon Sportsbet would offer for both those hypothetical marquees to still be at the club and playing by January?

Wazza loves journeymen as they’ll do anything to get considered for selection and have very little alternative options so will put up with his 1970s style man “management “

• Like 1

On 18/04/2019 at 8:54 AM, citypool said:

What I meant by the derby comment was at the moment the biggest football derby in Melbourne is us vs victory my worry is if we don’t pull our jocks up we’ll fall down the table and the interest will be on western Melbourne vs victory.

Would be great if we developed a genuine good rivalry with WU and that became the prominent Derby in Melbourne. Currently we hate Victory because they are the other team. Imagine the butthurt victory supporters if they lose one of the 35 derby's they play each year (Big Blue, Traditional, Melbourne....) too many.

Does anyone know what format we're playing next season? I'm assuming that it's three matches against each of the other 10 clubs - i.e. 30 matches in all.

The following season there will be 12 clubs, i.e. 33 matches. At least I hope so. It will begin to look like a real competition.

There are other formats of course, but I hope that we're going to see more football, not just restrict the format to fit the current seven-month season.

51 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Does anyone know what format we're playing next season? I'm assuming that it's three matches against each of the other 10 clubs - i.e. 30 matches in all.

The following season there will be 12 clubs, i.e. 33 matches. At least I hope so. It will begin to look like a real competition.

There are other formats of course, but I hope that we're going to see more football, not just restrict the format to fit the current seven-month season.

As far as I know - we play 26 and do not play everyone equally. This is until the 12 team joins which then the format will change. Makes no sense and could be wrong.

IMO if we don't play everyone equally then the competition becomes a farce. The bye is bad enough.

So much for a "new FFA."

Actually, we ought to move/continue this discussion to/in the "A-League Expansion" topic in Australian Football - it's nothing to do with Joyce.

17 minutes ago, pm37 said:

I remember reading an article that next season will be 26 games. The reason it stuck in my memory is that you need to play 27 competitive matches to qualify for the champions league and that finals matches and ffa cup count.

Is this the article? https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/aleague-season-could-be-shortened-with-expansion-with-the-ffa-cup-crucial-to-acl-eligibility/news-story/bdaab8a84b3126bd30bf18aae09f9360

The article indicates that nothing is fixed yet.

I've copied this to the appropriate thread in "Australian Football."

Scott Miller made a great point (because it’s also what I think) on the fox podcast 

paraphrasing here...

i think that given we are in the last two rounds and there is nothing about an extension, that’s alarm bells for me as a former coach. If I don’t have anything locked in in December jan then I’m starting to look elsewhere 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Scott Miller made a great point (because it’s also what I think) on the fox podcast 

paraphrasing here...

i think that given we are in the last two rounds and there is nothing about an extension, that’s alarm bells for me as a former coach. If I don’t have anything locked in in December jan then I’m starting to look elsewhere 

I'm fucked if I can understand why we're still talking about this. It was obvious weeks, if not months, ago that this was not going to be a good season, either on or off the field and that Joyce had not turned the club around. Waiting until an "end-of-season review" was just procrastination by CFG. Losing to the bottom four clubs should have convinced them that Joyce was not the man to take us forward. What we should be doing at this stage is planning for the future, not looking back. As, for example, Ernie Merrick is doing at Newcastle. Plays 6 players under 21 and hammers six past Brisbane.

Coming seventh would have been better than coming sixth.

• Like 3

Thought experiment for the day:

Irrespective of KPI, the chairman and City Groups opinions of WJ - in the likely scenario of an early finals loss and poor season evaluation, should WJ himself turn around and admit his poor performance, man the fuck up and admit he is not the man for this club and refuse an offer? I.e. if he truly wants what is best for this club, admitting he is not the man to take it forward is in the best interest of this club.

Not saying it would happen - but should he?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Thought experiment for the day:

Irrespective of KPI, the chairman and City Groups opinions of WJ - in the likely scenario of an early finals loss and poor season evaluation, should WJ himself turn around and admit his poor performance, man the fuck up and admit he is not the man for this club and refuse an offer? I.e. if he truly wants what is best for this club, admitting he is not the man to take it forward is in the best interest of this club.

Not saying it would happen - but should he?

The mark of a great man is his humility and grace in admitting where he has made mistakes. History will judge him more kindly than the man who was stubborn to the end and then proven to have been wrong.

• Like 1

So Garb on the Fox Podcast said the CFG bosses are leaning towards a 1 year extension regardless of finals.  I would be absolutely shocked if he were resigned if we had anything less than a grandfinal appearance. But this is from a number of sources now, so there must be alot of smoke to the rumor. I really cant beleive it but this seems like a case of heart over mind. 

Also I really cant see the benefit of a 1 year extension? What is the point? He signs half the squad and then pisses off and we are at the start of yet another 3 year cycle? But what do I know... 

Edited by Dylan

36 minutes ago, Dylan said:

So Garb on the Fox Podcast said the CFG bosses are leaning towards a 1 year extension regardless of finals.  I would be absolutely shocked if he were resigned if we had anything less than a grandfinal appearance. But this is from a number of sources now, so there must be alot of smoke to the rumor. I really cant beleive it but this seems like a case of heart over mind. 

Also I really cant see the benefit of a 1 year extension? What is the point? He signs half the squad and then pisses off and we are at the start of yet another 3 year cycle? But what do I know... 

I got that impression from @bt50's brief report on Pearce's speech about this season being the most important so far concerning club culture etc.

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Maybe he is really cheap and doesn’t need any quality assistants who cost money as well. All other football intellectuals with senior coaching ability have already been booted out by the club.

You won’t see me back at AAMI park if they resign this man.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Fkn year extension??

Fuck me dead. They better put some decent funding in and organise some damn good players to mend the relationship with the few fans that are left. Far our what a joke.

I wouldn't panic just yet. The rumour has been around for a month, but when journos have asked the question they have been repeatedly told that his contract is to be the subject of a post-season review and that nothing has been decided.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

I wouldn't panic just yet. The rumour has been around for a month, but when journos have asked the question they have been repeatedly told that his contract is to be the subject of a post-season review and that nothing has been decided.

I hope you are right! 🤞