Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I’ve actually brought this up on this forum not ago. I’ve got no inside info but I’m surprised that the club is looking into something like. After all you have to put people in positions where their strength lies, and for Joyce that isn’t football.

FTFY

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fiji19 said:

Have heard there is "restructuring" going on at the club, wouldnt surprise me if Joyce still remains but no longer in his current capacity but more so with youth development

Given that Munn is departing in April and we will have Rowse as our new CEO, I'm not surprised at all if there is some restructuring taking place or about to take place. In fact I would expect it - new broom and all that. Whether it involves the football department and/or Joyce we'll have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Given that Munn is departing in April and we will have Rowse as our new CEO, I'm not surprised at all if there is some restructuring taking place or about to take place. In fact I would expect it - new broom and all that. Whether it involves the football department and/or Joyce we'll have to wait and see.

But Rowse isn’t new he’s from the same old mediocre management.

6 hours ago, Mork said:

, did I strike a chord champ?

Nope, just don't like fake news

6 hours ago, Mork said:

NPC huh? Well I had to look it up because I didn’t know what it was. I’m old enough to understand the connotation behind it, yet not quite old enough to have played enough video games to know it inside out (There’s a joke in there too...just in case you missed it).

A 2 minute Google search doesn't do much does it.

6 hours ago, Mork said:

If that’s how you feel about my opinion then that’s fine, I really don’t give a shit,

Of course it's fine, after all we aren't on CityVoice are we?

Just for the record this is my post in 2016 which by the way got shot down by so many when I went against the common idea that he wouldn't be good enough to lead the youth team.

Screenshot_20190314-233659.thumb.jpg.f4cf02bb80834111ef5975e6bf512228.jpg

I think he went on to coach the youth to a title. Go figure.

Regardless, I think he deserves the opportunity to manage the men's team for the rest of the season if the opportunity arises.

And I also think your comments are bullshit, baseless and full of innuendo Morkman.

49 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Nothing has come of the rumour. Doesn't look as though Joyce is going anywhere before the end of the season.

Lets face it, he was never going regardless if we won or lost all of our games before the end of the season. He is here to stay and will be moved on after the finals series.... if we make it of course.

41 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Still think its somewhat of a week to week proposition tbh. And unless we win the toilet seat, there's no chance he's reappointed.

I'm along exactly this premise. 

We haven't lost our previous 2 games and we are playing 2nd placed Sydney, so in all fairness we would have played the top 3 teams and so far we have 2 points, now another point and I would argue that's a massive achievement. Alternatively the context of those games would really bring down that argument being that we choked in both games and we where completely shit and lucky not to lose.

But, and this is a rather huge but, we win on Sunday and it's a completely different scenario both for the up coming weeks and Joyce's immediate future. 

We get smashed and it could be the final nail for him.

I'm not sure he is completely gone for next season and maybe they could give him a 1 season extension, obviously that would cheer up most on here.

I think after all is said and done no decisions have been made and it could come down to a week to week situation. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

We haven't lost our previous 2 games and we are playing 2nd placed Sydney, so in all fairness we would have played the top 3 teams and so far we have 2 points, now another point and I would argue that's a massive achievement. Alternatively the context of those games would really bring down that argument being that we choked in both games and we where completely shit and lucky not to lose.

But, and this is a rather huge but, we win on Sunday and it's a completely different scenario both for the up coming weeks and Joyce's immediate future. 

I'm not sure he is completely gone for next season and maybe they could give him a 1 season extension, obviously that would cheer up most on here.

I think after all is said and done no decisions have been made and it could come down to a week to week situation. 

Honestly over it but its the most accurate inference we can make. If they were concered the past few months about results then they have had many opportunities to dismiss him - many nails in the coffin. Makes it seem like this is not a funeral and CFG are on a different path than fans of the club.

6 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I think we could win 8 in a row from here and lose the GF and he's still likely gone imo.
The only way he doesnt lose his job without a toilet seat is if something changes the fan sentiment across the board, and to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure anything will do that.
I know we pot the club regularly, but i really dont think they'll ignore the fans here. The only reason they probably havent sacked him yet in my opinion is likely financial and the lack of benefit that comes with that decision.

2 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Honestly over it but its the most accurate inference we can make. If they were concered the past few months about results then they have had many opportunities to dismiss him - many nails in the coffin. Makes it seem like this is not a funeral and CFG are on a different path than fans of the club.

I'm fully understanding of how you feel about Joyce. And he has been a disastrous appointment and I'm hoping he gets axed.

But sadly the more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that he is here to stay. 

They are not interested in being popular or trying to create a warm cozy relationship with the fans in their minds (CFG I'm referring) they are creating a framework for the years to come.

And because of this it wouldn't surprise if we get Joyce extension before a termination.

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think we could win 8 in a row from here and lose the GF and he's still likely gone imo.
The only way he doesnt lose his job without a toilet seat is if something changes the fan sentiment across the board, and to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure anything will do that.
I know we pot the club regularly, but i really dont think they'll ignore the fans here. The only reason they probably havent sacked him yet in my opinion is likely financial and the lack of benefit that comes with that decision.

I really hope your right. But I think the contrary.

14 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'm fully understanding of how you feel about Joyce. And he has been a disastrous appointment and I'm hoping he gets axed.

But sadly the more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that he is here to stay. 

They are not interested in being popular or trying to create a warm cozy relationship with the fans in their minds (CFG I'm referring) they are creating a framework for the years to come.

And because of this it wouldn't surprise if we get Joyce extension before a termination.

And I hope you are wrong! But perfectly plausible and valid. 

My god can you imagine the fan sentiment in the comments for a Wazza Extension update on the clubs social media. 

22 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I dont think you're wrong there, but at the end of the day he hasnt met his targets, and has alienated the fan base in the process.
I think they will probably think he's played a key role in shaping the club, but he's not the man for the job going forward. 

If they do choose to reappoint him, which again i stress, i think is basically impossible barring the toilet seat, the club will get the whack they will well and truly deserve.

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

I dont think you're wrong there, but at the end of the day he hasnt met his targets, and has alienated the fan base in the process.
I think they will probably think he's played a key role in shaping the club, but he's not the man for the job going forward. 

If they do choose to reappoint him, which again i stress, i think is basically impossible barring the toilet seat, the club will get the whack they will well and truly deserve.

Given the small numbers of support perhaps fan sentiment means little. We have wacked hard and long without seeing any cracks.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Given the small numbers of support perhaps fan sentiment means little. We have wacked hard and long without seeing any cracks.

I dont think thats the case at all tbh, i just  think they've gotten it a little bit wrong on a lot of occasions and its just built up into a huge issue. Death by a thousands cuts if you like.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

I'm going to go against this mould and argue that our results are disastrous given the context of the club as a whole (financially, stability, resources, know how etc.). You can come back at me and say I'm full of shit but the bolded part where you are claiming 3 points from 9 as a massive achievement is such a negative and to be frank loser mindset it surprises me just how much this club has altered people's expectations over the course of the last 10 years. Understand please I'm not saying that you have such a mindset in general but more so this particular comment. 

Whats interesting being on this forum over so many years is seeing how people's opinions of the club, players, results etc. can waver so frequently and often depending on the success or failure at the current moment. I was guilty of doing that before and personally I got to the point a bit back where no single moment will define a player or coaches ability in delivering results going forward for me. Joyce has had the team for 2 seasons now, has had multiple run ins with bigger players, has won only 1 game for 2019 and is currently on the verge of possibly causing us to drop out of the six. It should be nail in the coffin already. There is no need for us to get smashed on Sunday for this to happen. 2 years of underachieving won't ever be swayed by 90 minutes of football on Sunday. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I'm going to go against this mould and argue that our results are disastrous given the context of the club as a whole (financially, stability, resources, know how etc.). You can come back at me and say I'm full of shit but the bolded part where you are claiming 3 points from 9 as a massive achievement is such a negative and to be frank loser mindset it surprises me just how much this club has altered people's expectations over the course of the last 10 years. Understand please I'm not saying that you have such a mindset in general but more so this particular comment. 

Whats interesting being on this forum over so many years is seeing how people's opinions of the club, players, results etc. can waver so frequently and often depending on the success or failure at the current moment. I was guilty of doing that before and personally I got to the point a bit back where no single moment will define a player or coaches ability in delivering results going forward for me. Joyce has had the team for 2 seasons now, has had multiple run ins with bigger players, has won only 1 game for 2019 and is currently on the verge of possibly causing us to drop out of the six. It should be nail in the coffin already. There is no need for us to get smashed on Sunday for this to happen. 2 years of underachieving won't ever be swayed by 90 minutes of football on Sunday. 

Not wrong.

All a matter of perspective. We are just left to speculate how CFG perceives it. On the face of it it seems Joyce has done enough to defer dismissal. Perhaps over a "busy period" and given "top teams" and the team "gelling" in the transfer we have done okay. Call it positive signs going forward - trust the process.

Conversely, and more damning is the growing gap between potential and reality. Your salient reminders are sentiments all fans need reminding of. If we accept mediocrity we will never achieve Asia or the cup. We will always be the underperformers. Was this not the cultural shift that was supposed to happen? The one now where it seems we sit increasingly further away from achieving.

12 hours ago, playmaker said:

Nope, just don't like fake news

A 2 minute Google search doesn't do much does it.

Of course it's fine, after all we aren't on CityVoice are we?

Just for the record this is my post in 2016 which by the way got shot down by so many when I went against the common idea that he wouldn't be good enough to lead the youth team.

Screenshot_20190314-233659.thumb.jpg.f4cf02bb80834111ef5975e6bf512228.jpg

I think he went on to coach the youth to a title. Go figure.

Regardless, I think he deserves the opportunity to manage the men's team for the rest of the season if the opportunity arises.

And I also think your comments are bullshit, baseless and full of innuendo Morkman.

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:53 PM, DAM10 said:

I personally don't relate to the style of football that traditional English coaches like Joyce, preach and play. Direct, long balls and physical. Ignoring the most important element in football : technic, individuality, flair and all those attributes that have made some south americans and European nations more successful than England and the whole of Britain.  Statistics show that due to that style of football, the inventors of the most beautiful game, are under achievers. In more than 100 yrs of the game, at national level, they have only won a world cup at senior and recently another at u/20s.

His credentials don't make him look good but as a fan that wants the best for city, I will support him and give him time before passing judgement.

If Valkanis continues as assistant, I will now say that it will be another long season.

"Direct, long balls and physical" or counter attack and quick ball movement  is exactly how we should be playing because "Statistics show that due to that style of football" teams at the A league level have the highest probability of success and if we rely on "individuality and flair" then we are destined to fail. 

So yes, it seems as though he is a good fit.

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 2:13 PM, Jacques Le Cube said:

Poor appointment. Aside from his disastrous spell at Wigan his only first team coaching experience is in the English 4th tier and the Belgian 2nd tier.

Especially when you consider that Adelaide's new coach got Kaiserslautern promoted to the Bundesliga where they finished 7th and Wellington's new coach won the Eerste Divisie and has also coached in both the Eredivise and Jupiler Pro League.

Joyce does not have the experience, pedigree or past success of these other new A-League coaches (Marco Kurz and Darije Kalezic)

Even if he is a good youth coach (which is hard to quantify), he hasn't been appointed to a youth development role, he has been appointed head coach of the first team.

FFS, Wigan is a head case and any rational person would realize that he had no hope turning that club around in 4 months.

Enough with the Wigan crap already.

Your track record isn't very good bud.

Or do you cherry pick to get your point across?

Who cares what an anonymous poster thinks about Kisnorbo?

With all due respect to @Mork, it's just a personal opinion and it doesn't mean much in the scheme of things. No need to take it personally, unless you are actually Patrick.

What we should be discussing is Warren Joyce's tenure as Head Coach. 

It's simply not good enough for a club with our resources and ambition to be making up the numbers, wallowing away in 6th with little hope of winning the Championship.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I'm afraid I have to agree.

30 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

If we accept mediocrity we will never achieve Asia or the cup. We will always be the underperformers. Was this not the cultural shift that was supposed to happen? The one now where it seems we sit increasingly further away from achieving.

Again, right on the nail.

Management in any form is not a one bad week followed by one good week. It's what is achieved over a period. As for cultural change, we still lose matches against the bottom sides that we should have won and have our now-famous come-from-ahead draws, and along the way we have discarded an unprecedented number of senior players, the very same players that we needed to achieve stability and the results the fans crave.

The current administration has built nothing during the past two seasons whilst alienating players and the fans.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I'm afraid I have to agree.

Again, right on the nail.

Management in any form is not a one bad week followed by one good week. It's what is achieved over a period. As for cultural change, we still lose matches against the bottom sides that we should have won and have our now-famous come-from-ahead draws, and along the way we have discarded an unprecedented number of senior players, the very same players that we needed to achieve stability and the results the fans crave.

The current administration has built nothing during the past two seasons whilst alienating players and the fans.

I watched highlights last night of our run to winning the FFA Cup in 2016. Do you know how many players we still have from that squad?? One. Brattan. In 2 years we have managed to recycle an entire trophy winning team. I don't mean to be piling on the the negativity but it's yet another problem we have culturally at the club. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I watched highlights last night of our run to winning the FFA Cup in 2016. Do you know how many players we still have from that squad?? One. Brattan. In 2 years we have managed to recycle an entire trophy winning team. I don't mean to be piling on the the negativity but it's yet another problem we have culturally at the club. 

Turnover is also an A-league wide problem.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/players-leading-push-to-abolish-a-league-salary-cap-20190309-p512xh.html

Players leading push to abolish A-League salary cap

By Dominic Bossi

March 9, 2019 — 5.29pm

A week in which A-League clubs' ability to compete in Asia came under the microscope has coincided with a push to abolish the salary cap by the players themselves.

After 15 years of strict financial regulations governing A-League player wages, the players' union, Professional Footballers Australia, is sewing the seeds for the removal of the cap when CBA negotiations begin with Football Federation Australia.

Their motivation is to end the high turnover of players, improve the financial viability of the competition, increase player pathways and the development of youth in Australia. A report that will form the basis of their argument to gradually remove the salary cap contains significant research comparing the A-League's on- and off-field performance against other leagues and questions whether the A-League salary cap actually ensures competitive balance in football.

"Fifteen years on, we operate the same model that has been tinkered with around the edges. It’s no longer fit for purpose. The current system is theoretically supported for two reasons. The first is competitive balance, which data over recent years will challenge. The second reason is club sustainability, yet the current model denies clubs access to potentially significant financial upside," PFA chief John Didulica said.

The current regulations allow 23-man squads under a $3.03 million salary cap, of which two designated players can be paid outside, exceptions for long-serving players, homegrown players and mature-age rookies.

Despite recent concessions, the A-League still has one of the highest rates of player turnover in world football. This year, almost two-thirds of the players in the competition are coming off contract, illustrating a culture where clubs resort to short-term deals.  According to those working in the industry, that's largely perpetuated by the salary cap constraints.

"If you look at the list of players that are out of contract every year it is frightening," player agent John Grimaud said. "That’s an indictment on the league and you wonder why we don’t get transfer fees for players. Clubs aren't inclined to scout properly so they don’t take risks with signing players. They sign them for one year and if they make it, good. If they don’t, they cut them and move on. That’s the problem with the salary cap."

Australian football is missing out on significant revenue streams which the PFA claims is due to the salary cap. With short-term contracting so widespread, the A-League is missing out on the massive global spike in transfer fees. In the past six years, transfer fees received by Asian clubs has doubled from $84 million to $170m. Over that period, transfer revenue in the A-League fell from $3.7m to $2.6m.

"The salary cap has proven to act as a barrier to our players developing as footballers, to clubs building sustainable businesses that capitalise on the growth of the global football economy and to our sport building better teams and competing – on all fronts – with greater success," Didulica said

Against teams operating without salary cap restrictions and squad size constraints, Australian teams are falling behind in other income streams. In AFC Champions League performances bonuses and prize money, competing Australian teams received $326,000 last year. Japanese teams were rewarded with over $6m.

By failing to retain more national team players, many of whom are no longer playing in high-profile European leagues, A-League teams are lagging behind in World Cup benefits paid by FIFA to clubs to compensate clubs for the number of players took part in the tournament. From the 2018 World Cup in Russia, $1.7m was paid to A-League teams, South Korean teams received $4.4m and J-League clubs were given $5.1m .

Money aside, there are questions raised by the PFA over the competitive balance provided by the cap. According to PFA research, there is a greater proportion of games won by a margin of three goals or more in the A-League than the major five European leagues. The A-League has had a more varied list of winners, in part due to the final series, though Central Coast Mariners appear set to finish bottom for three of the past four seasons and the points ratio between wooden spooners and premiers has almost doubled in the past nine years.

The clubs are yet to reach consensus on the future of the salary cap. Some appreciate the cost certainty. Others see it as preventing them from reaching their full potential and competing for silverware in Asia.

United under the Australian Professional Football Clubs Association, the A-League club owners are split. The APFCA chairman, Western Sydney Wanderers owner Paul Lederer, says the matter remains a delicate topic within the group but one they must address in the near future.

No consensus: Paul Lederer says the issue of the salary cap must be handled delicately among club owners.

“It’s a major subject that has got to be considered very carefully," Lederer said. "There will be discussions in the next few weeks about that, probably very shortly as to where do we stand as clubs and what do we want to do.”

They appear unanimous in relaxing the cap constraints. As part of their submission for a new A-League operating model, APFCA want to increase the number of foreign players in the A-League from the current limit of five and follow in the footsteps of the MLS in USA, where clubs have eight spots on average.

However, if current trends are anything to go by, more foreigners means a higher wage bill. The A-League is on course to become independent from the FFA, giving clubs significantly more influence in the operations, rules and regulations of the competition meaning they might get their wish.

Under the proposed new operating model, the FFA will - at the very least - retain a golden vote on the board of the new entity, enabling them to block or pass any motion or amendment. Already, the FFA is looking at ways on relaxing the tight restrictions on squads and salaries but are not yet willing to remove the cap entirely.

"Don’t throw it away but fix it," Head of the A-League, Greg O'Rourke, said. "You’d want to make changes around home-grown talent, loyalty players, more investment in Australian players. You might want to talk about having more designated players in and out of the cap to build the quality of the product.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, n i k o said:

Just look at the match squad we had that day. And Sydney had Bobo, Holosko, and Ninkovic on show. No wonder we pulled in 18,700. 

image.png.b29c8a88dbc45d09af6d4288f74d4708.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

salary cap or not, CFG will not splash money on us.

I tend to agree. Melbourne City and the whole Australian adventure for CFG gives the impression of being a low cost ‘puppy farm’ where aspiring young players are  identified and then whisked away to a foreign land. I hope I’m wrong.

2 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

I tend to agree. Melbourne City and the whole Australian adventure for CFG gives the impression of being a low cost ‘puppy farm’ where aspiring young players are  identified and then whisked away to a foreign land. I hope I’m wrong.

Unpopular opinion, perhaps, but so far only Daniel Arzani fits your description. Aaron Mooy was neither young nor a Heart/City youth product.

This season no-one looks like moving from Melbourne to Manchester.

No salary cap, and 8 foreign players per squad, CFG would splash out on Bart quality overseas players, and each would be paid current marquee level wages. They’d also lock down the best available aussies and Aussie youngsters and we’d be a dominant force playing attractive winning football, and we’d be competitive in Asia. Wazza also would be youth coach, or gonski (or am I dreaming?)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

No salary cap, and 8 foreign players per squad, CFG would splash out on Bart quality overseas players, and each would be paid current marquee level wages. They’d also lock down the best available aussies and Aussie youngsters and we’d be a dominant force playing attractive winning football, and we’d be competitive in Asia. Wazza also would be youth coach, or gonski (or am I dreaming?)

And 9k would turn up instead of 7k.

27 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Love the optimism but heck I don’t see it but geez I’d be prepared to eat my hat if it happened :lol:

35 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Why? They can win the league now by nailing the visa and marquee players, and they just aren’t doing it and look not interested.

Is it more important to win the league or qualify for ACL when the salary is being removed?

I don’t believe anything of the stories of holding back spending until the salary cap goes.

Imagine being successful now and  become even better down the track - That’s how you become a big club with a good supporter base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Why? They can win the league now by nailing the visa and marquee players, and they just aren’t doing it and look not interested

This. The salary cap and visa quotas have not stopped Victory, SFC or any of the other clubs from winning silverware and qualifying for the ACL.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

I can see no evidence to support this possibility whatsoever. IMO the management at Bundoora and in Manchester has taken our club backwards over last season and so far this season in terms of any metric you care to name. Go back and look at the match squad we had when we beat Sydney to win the FFA Cup, and compare it with the squad for tomorrow. 
As @Mr MO says, CFG just don't seem interested in us whatsoever. 

16 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

8 Bart level players on the team would be great, but that leaves the local puppies on the bench, no player development

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

8 Bart level players on the team would be great, but that leaves the local puppies on the bench, no player development

How’s our development going now? All I see and hear is fringe youth players going to other clubs, Lesiotis, Pierias etc....

43 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

How’s our development going now? All I see and hear is fringe youth players going to other clubs, Lesiotis, Pierias etc....

Quite so. The only players we have developed so far for our own use are Atkinson and (possibly we can count) Genreau, the latter on loan at PEC Zwolle. The only one we have developed for transfer to Manchester is Arzani. Other youth players have featured in one or two senior matches, but none have secured a regular berth in the match-day squad.

I don't count Mooy - he was already a mature player before he came to us.