Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

24 minutes ago, haz said:

No offence to Munn and Petrillo, but I don't think they're "hard" enough to make the tough decisions. Munn seems like the sort of person who will pat everyone on the back and say that having fun is what is most important.

Most people here already know my thoughts on Petrillo.

Drain the swamp.

23 hours ago, Embee said:

There's a MASSIVE amount of hindsight being utilized there. I remember there being more than a few shakes of the head and chuckles on this forum when Newy signed Merrick. If that had of been our coaching appointment I reckon this place would've imploded

Only because half the forum know nothing about football

• Like 2

so Joyce has come in and achieved the following:

•Highest ever League finish

•Lowest goals conceded in a season 

•Improved the culture such that we now can comeback and win from behind.

•Brought in 2 talented youth players

•Turned around the career of Osama Malik

It May come as some surprise (at risk of being dubbed “Cato the Elder”) to the reader that I say he still should be fired* Here’s a few reasons:

•bench usage. The modern game is played by 14 players. Joyce seems unaware of this. Frankly no more reasons are required, but I’ll keep going for the laughs.

•random blacklisting players. He’s not a man manager. Anyone comes close to annoying him he just kicks them out. Might work at Man U but in the a League we have a salary cap, how about working through situations for a resolution like a grownup?

•Kilkenny. Enough said.

•Brandon. Enough said.

•Signing blokes then refusing to play them eg.  Budzinski, Crowley, Carusca.

•Thinking Jacobsen is a midfielder 

•ignoring in the run up to the finals that despite his defensive  flaws a guy like Budzinski might needed to turn a game so he should be given some minutes, so he’d be confident 

•thinking that because Manny Muscat works and tries hard he is somehow a match changing substitution 

•Putting 2 defenders on a bench of 4 in a must win game

•Ostracising Denis Genreau 

• crowd numbers. The elephant in the room is that our crowd is down because people got sick of watching shit football (or if you like watching shit, packaged as “football”) 

* not that I think he will be.

• Like 5

Agree with many points of the above @Shahanga has made but unfortunately or fortunately depending on your bent Wazza won't be sacked.

CFG have proven over the past decade that they don't boot coaches even if deserved. Probably the only exception was that dude in NYC but tbf I really don't know those circumstances. 

Wazza is Matwoods mate and unless there is drastic change Wazza is here to stay and I reackon we are looking at a 3 to 5 year term.

I'm still not convinced either way on Wazza all the points above are pretty compelling but what has kept me from leading the charge is that over the season he has evolved. His basic operating style is fixed, but on the park is all what really interests me. And over the year he has changed.

So at this point before the grips of winter and the bleak off season sets in I'm happy to remain on the Wazza train. 

Going into next season we need 3 quality Visas. 1 from each line.

Defender, mainly a CB but a versatile defender to partner Bort is a must.

A midfielder. A creative midfielder preferably but just a quality midfielder.

Forward. A player that can play anywhere across the front line.

We nail those and retain the core that Wazza trusts then we might have a team. 

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Our football got better @Shahanga so I doubt it was that that caused the drop in crowd numbers. This is a league wide problems that stems far beyond what we are doing or playing like as a club. 

I agree, but by the same token one member of my family stopped going to games because it was boring and he didn’t come back.

I don’t think he was the only person to do the same.

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I agree, but by the same token one member of my family stopped going to games because it was boring and he didn’t come back.

Have you ever thought it could have been because of who he was sitting next to?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I was about to post that IMO the main reason attendances are down pretty much across the board is because the format and presentation of the league has become predictable and boring, both on the field and off it. I love football and will never give it away, but then I went to my first match when I was 5 and fell in love with it, and it's impossible for me to walk away. But for any normal person balancing up options for entertainment and spending their entertainment dollar then the A-League just does not rate.

Edited by jw1739

10 hours ago, n i k o said:

Our football got better @Shahanga so I doubt it was that that caused the drop in crowd numbers. This is a league wide problems that stems far beyond what we are doing or playing like as a club. 

I would also think that the novelty of being owned by CFG has worn off a bit and as we have consistently underachieved we haven't been able to maintain crowd numbers.

11 minutes ago, malloy said:

I would also think that the novelty of being owned by CFG has worn off a bit and as we have consistently underachieved we haven't been able to maintain crowd numbers.

I actually think the CFG ownership might be a hindrance in the future for growing the supporter base unless some changes are made

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

I actually think the CFG ownership might be a hindrance in the future for growing the supporter base unless some changes are made

Agree. Because CFG hasn't yet understood the difference between ownership and management. IMO it's not a positive to read that Munn, Joyce etc. are in regular dialogue with Manchester, it's a negative because it implies that the club is really managed from Manchester and is not "local." Looking like a clone of Manchester City does not help at all.

my personal opinion is that we have had some (not many) good games overshadowed by too many boring and half hearted performances which were played by two completely different teams although they bore the same names and numbers. Some of the matches looked as though we were going to win by a large margin and then in the second half a completely different team came on and we either lost or drew totaly baffling myself and others around us.

Pep wins EPL playing the City way.  CFG appoints  a British workman to play the City way.

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Agree. Because CFG hasn't yet understood the difference between ownership and management. IMO it's not a positive to read that Munn, Joyce etc. are in regular dialogue with Manchester, it's a negative because it implies that the club is really managed from Manchester and is not "local." Looking like a clone of Manchester City does not help at all.

Other than the colors Melb City looks in no way a Man City clone.  Not in the type of coach, not in the type of players the coach prefers, not in the way the team plays.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Pep wins EPL playing the City way.  CFG appoints  a British workman to play the City way.

Because Hodgson knew there is no way found in any logical assessment of the level of this league that we could ever play the Pep style and be successful. Absolutely none.

Just now, playmaker said:

Because Hodgson knew there is no way found in any logical assessment of the level of this league that we could ever play the Pep style and be successful. Absolutely none.

The City Way is Effective Possession. Postecoglou did it with basket case of a club.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

The City Way is Effective Possession. Postecoglou did it with basket case of a club.  

Rubbish, Pep  uses the best players in the world to play a style that only elite players can play. Ange played a hybrid press that is no way comparable to Pep's style.

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

Rubbish, Pep  uses the best players in the world to play a style that only elite players can play. Ange played a hybrid press that is no way comparable to Pep's style.

Let the man speak for himself:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/players/lionel-messi/11162958/Pep-Guardiola-I-hate-tiki-taka-its-rubbish-and-completely-pointless.html

"I loathe all that passing for the sake of it, all that tiki-taka. It's so much rubbish and has no purpose. You have to pass the ball with a clear intention, with the aim of making it into the opposition's goal. It's not about passing for the sake of it."

Hence EFFECTIVE possession.

Roar scored in everyone of their 36 unbeaten games, putting 7 goals past Adelaide, and playing possession football.  That's pretty effective.  

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 9:28 PM, jeffplz said:

I don't buy the shit football rhetoric. Last season was an actual fucking snorefest. I literally began screaming at the 70th minute point in matches where we were either behind or goalless, passing it around the box, never penetrating, eventually backpassing all the way to keeper and copping a counter goal 5 mins later. 

This season, at least we're creating clear cut chances. It's just the finishing that lets us down.

Ha-one shot on target in the semi, wasn't it?

Just now, jeffplz said:

It doesn't take many brain cells to look at our other games with tons of chances

Bring up the data for me if you're so sure

I don;t care about that unless we end up in first place.  We didn't.  So i don't care about it.

I think Victory will knock us out of the Asian Champs League on Saturday.  Season wasted.  Yes, because we only had ONE SHOT ON TARGET IN THE SEMI.  

The Pep article is laughable. Wonder how he would go with a club with 10% of budget of the clubs he has coach. 

It's amazing how when you have the best players in the world that his tika-taka style magically becomes effective. Hahaha

And I am not saying Ange's coaching wasn't effective as Ernie's style is also. Effective doesn't mean high possession and if you look at Leicester City the opposite of what you are saying is true, furthermore it could be argued that Ranieri was much better than Pep because he won the league with 30 to 40% less possession therefore more effective, and probably the most effective and possession efficient side in EPL in history.

1 hour ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

I don;t care about that unless we end up in first place.  We didn't.  So i don't care about it.

I think Victory will knock us out of the Asian Champs League on Saturday.  Season wasted.  Yes, because we only had ONE SHOT ON TARGET IN THE SEMI.  

Edited by playmaker

23 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Read what i'm talking about ya spastic, i'm talking about if we're playing shit football or not, I never mentioned the results

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Read what i'm talking about ya spastic, i'm talking about if we're playing shit football or not, I never mentioned the results

there's no need to be cunt, cunt.

I know what ya talkin' about, but you're too fuckin' dumb to understand what I'm talking about.

The H and A games serve two purposes: to come first and to win in the finals.  We did neither.

According to you, what we did was study hard all year. but forgot everything in the exams  and that makes you happy.  

One shot on target when it actually mattered.

8 hours ago, playmaker said:

The Pep article is laughable. Wonder how he would go with a club with 10% of budget of the clubs he has coach. 

It's amazing how when you have the best players in the world that his tika-taka style magically becomes effective. Hahaha

And I am not saying Ange's coaching wasn't effective as Ernie's style is also. Effective doesn't mean high possession and if you look at Leicester City the opposite of what you are saying is true, furthermore it could be argued that Ranieri was much better than Pep because he won the league with 30 to 40% less possession therefore more effective, and probably the most effective and possession efficient side in EPL in history.

Yeah Leicester played effective football.  But that's different to effective possession.

55 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

there's no need to be cunt, cunt.

I know what ya talkin' about, but you're too fuckin' dumb to understand what I'm talking about.

The H and A games serve two purposes: to come first and to win in the finals.  We did neither.

According to you, what we did was study hard all year. but forgot everything in the exams  and that makes you happy.  

One shot on target when it actually mattered.

Yeah Leicester played effective football.  But that's different to effective possession.

I never mentioned being happy, or winning, nor did I care about the results. My arguement was against the "shit football" rhetoric. Was the football "shit"? No. The results were. You're arguing against a point that i'm not making

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

I never mentioned being happy, or winning, nor did I care about the results. My arguement was against the "shit football" rhetoric. Was the football "shit"? No. The results were. You're arguing against a point that i'm not making

Your point was and I quote:

"This season, at least we're creating clear cut chances":  

One shot on target in the most important game of our season is not that. 

Everything before that happened was just a practice.

5 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Your point was and I quote:

"This season, at least we're creating clear cut chances":  

One shot on target in the most important game of our season is not that. 

Everything before that happened was just a practice.

So pretty much, "trends" are something which happen over a period of time and are measurable and most often than not, discrete. One game is not indicative of a "trend" which is what I was pointing out.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Ease off on the personal abuse please lads. We're all frustrated by the way the season has ended, but calling each other names doesn't help.

Agree, there's no need to be cunt, cunt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jeffplz said:

Surely the purpose of the game of football is to score more goals than you concede? We only did that 14 times out of 29 games (incl. Finals). Football is about effective possession, but it's also about being effective when not in possession. At an elite level, it's also about entertainment. Our variable effectiveness with and without the ball make our games are far more entertaining for the neutral than for our own supporters, and this is a major reason why we struggle to build our supporter base. We are likely to play a great half, score a goal or two and then concede as least as many in the other half. That is 'shit football' to me, it doesn't always mean playing like a bunch of 11 strangers (although we've done that too).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Surely the purpose of the game of football is to score more goals than you concede? We only did that 14 times out of 29 games (incl. Finals). Football is about effective possession, but it's also about being effective when not in possession. At an elite level, it's also about entertainment. Our variable effectiveness with and without the ball make our games are far more entertaining for the neutral than for our own supporters, and this is a major reason why we struggle to build our supporter base. We are likely to play a great half, score a goal or two and then concede as least as many in the other half. That is 'shit football' to me, it doesn't always mean playing like a bunch of 11 strangers (although we've done that too).

To be fair, we lost 15 points due to blatant individual errors which is independent of the coaches tactics.

As we have said all season, the elephant in the room is our team not having a competent CAM, which leads to a road block just after transition and indirect play results.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

To be fair, we lost 15 points due to blatant individual errors which is independent of the coaches tactics.

As we have said all season, the elephant in the room is our team not having a competent CAM, which leads to a road block just after transition and indirect play results.

I agree completely that individual errors themselves are independent of coaching tactics. One role of the coach though is to try and structure the team and patterns of play to mitigate the impact of individual errors. Of course, nobody can do this 100%, but many errors occur when a player is under pressure and has no effective passing options

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I agree completely that individual errors themselves are independent of coaching tactics. One role of the coach though is to try and structure the team and patterns of play to mitigate the impact of individual errors. Of course, nobody can do this 100%, but many errors occur when a player is under pressure and has no effective passing options

Doesn't take a genius to boot the ball out of danger.

Those mistakes were stupid and basic errors that should not be made at this level.

Basically, they are uncoachable stupidity

I will call out Joyce's errors when he is responsible, and he has been sub-par on many things, but not in this case IMO