Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

5 hours ago, jeffplz said:

You're arguing against a point that i'm not making

STRAWMAN if you will?

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Let's not get too negative. Despite everything we still achieved our best league position since formation. That's the new benchmark for our club.

Thank you for putting things into perspective. This is the reason we took a week off the Pod, good to give it a bit of time for the dust to settle before reviewing and analyising

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Let's not get too negative. Despite everything we still achieved our best league position since formation. That's the new benchmark for our club.

Is there any other Australian based A-League team that's taken 8 seasons to achieve a third place highest ever finish? 

Sure, it's better than 4th etc., and we can't undo what has happened but we need to stop thinking like a small team and stop being content with third place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Is there any other Australian based A-League team that's taken 8 seasons to achieve a third place highest ever finish? 

Sure, it's better than 4th etc., and we can't undo what has happened but we need to stop thinking like a small team and stop being content with third place.

I doubt anyone here is content with 3rd place. That doesnt undo the belief that many have, myself included that we have made progress. The two are not inextricably linked.

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Whatever positives anyone comes up with a negative can always be found.

IIRC no-one has said or written to express contentment with third place.

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

Doesn't take a genius to boot the ball out of danger.

No, but then most footballers aren't geniuses! Not every error can be prevented or mitigated by coaching of course (like that one), but many can, and are, by good coaching

Edited by belaguttman

These are historical facts without being signed in either positive or negative side.

It was one of the weakest seasons since we compete. Wazza started it without Brattan and Arzani in the picture.  Kamau was knocking on EPL door. Marquee was cemented on the bench. Brandan was forced out.  He believed in Muscat even as a midfielder up till the last round.  

We didn't deserved more this season.  Saying that, it's hard to grasp previous fact and have a belief in better management next season. 

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

According to who?

Because whoever said that is an idiot.

I don't think anyone said that. There was an article suggesting he had ambitions in Europe, even dreaming about playing for Barcelona, but that was based purely on his own fantasies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think anyone said that. There was an article suggesting he had ambitions in Europe, even dreaming about playing for Barcelona, but that was based purely on his own fantasies. 

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/bruce-kamau-capable-of-playing-football-in-england-says-city-coach-warren-joyce/news-story/c51f32b9ec3f9e7252f83e2134789c9b

Championship!

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think anyone said that. There was an article suggesting he had ambitions in Europe, even dreaming about playing for Barcelona, 

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

After his 2nd game!!! Gee Wazza you got that wrong.

Edited by playmaker

11 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

Wazza out?

Marwood has already confirmed that he will be in charge next season.

IMO we now need to focus on what sort of a squad Joyce and Petrillo assemble.  We've seen five departures so far - four that we anticipated and a fifth (Cavallo) that no-one had really heard of. Perhaps there will be several more if we can off-load some dead wood, and then we need to see what signings we make. If we're serious about winning anything then we have to get all of them right, especially the visa players.

Edited by jw1739

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Marwood has already confirmed that he will be in charge next season.

IMO we now need to focus on what sort of a squad Joyce and Petrillo assemble.  We've seen five departures so far - four that we anticipated and a fifth (Cavallo) that no-one had really heard of. Perhaps there will be several more if we can off-load some dead wood, and then we need to see what signings we make. If we're serious about winning anything then we have to get all of them right, especially the visa players.

So who then should:

Stay?

Go?

Youth to be promoted?

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/05/2018 at 5:31 PM, Imtellingyou said:

Sure Wazza is the right coach for Manchester people.  Just why they chose  for Manchester City Chilean and Spaniard coach. 

Even NYC with bigger attention got Aloisi type of coach. What can we expect. 

Wanderers have just appointed Markus Babbel as their new coach. Played for Bayern and Liverpool. Coached Hertha Berlin, Hoffenheim and Stuttgart.

We have Wazza:(

It just shows the gulf in ambition.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Wanderers have just appointed Markus Babbel as their new coach. Played for Bayern and Liverpool. Coached Hertha Berlin, Hoffenheim and Stuttgart.

And Wanderers had Popovic, an untested coach and won titles and the ACL. I see your point but until this guy does better than Wazza I wouldn't get carried away by this decision. 

• Like 3

Just now, n i k o said:

And Wanderers had Popovic, an untested coach and won titles and the ACL. I see your point but until this guy does better than Wazza I wouldn't get carried away by this decision. 

It does show the gulf in ambition though. Wanderers hire a coach that's coached at a high level in Bundesliga, qualified Stuttgart for UCL, we hire a youth coach from Man U. It suggests that Wanderers wants to win things, we want to develop players to on-sell

6 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Would rather City hire the right person for the job, not the person with the flashiest credentials

2 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Would rather City hire the right person for the job, not the person with the flashiest credentials

Qualifying Stuttgart for Champions League is pretty flashy. Coaching Hertha Berlin to promotion from Bundesliga2 to Bundesliga is not quite as 'flashy' but still impressive, what do you want? I also wished that City had hired the right person for the job of winning.

Edited by belaguttman

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Qualifying Stuttgart for Champions League is pretty flashy. Coaching Hertha Berlin to promotion from Bundesliga2 to Bundesliga is not quite as 'flashy' but still impressive, what do you want? I also wished that City had hired the right person for the job of winning.

I agree that the appointments of Popovic by Perth and now Babbel by Western Sydney are visible statements of intent by those two clubs. However, I'm trying not to get too concerned about our preparation for 2018-19 until we see what player signings and re-signings we make in the coming weeks. I'm not expecting us to announce much, if anything, until we return for pre-season some time in June. It's too easy to get down-hearted at this point in time when there's very little information coming out of the club.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Simon Hill interview with Joyce

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/simon-hill-sat-down-with-melbourne-city-coach-warren-joyce-ahead-of-the-new-aleague-season/news-story/2a247cdb470c7fbc3005e55a09be17a7

A-League news: Melbourne City, Warren Joyce, Daniel Arzani, Florin Berenguer

IN the run-up to the new Hyundai A-League season, Simon Hill has conducted individual chats with the 10 coaches who will be aiming for the big prize come next May.

In today’s instalment, he talks to Melbourne City’s Warren Joyce

Simon Hill: Warren, you are now twelve months into the job — what has the Australian experience been like for you — any pleasant surprises and/or unexpected frustrations?

Warren Joyce: Football is football around the world — there’s nothing new or different. For me it was about learning the league, the teams, the players, the styles. I’ve done it before in Belgium so I kind of knew what to expect. You continue learning all the time, but I have a better handle on it than I did last year. The travel is different, but you can still travel four hours to a game in England, or two hours in Belgium. The top teams in Europe do it too in the Champions League. The fact it is a flight and not a train ride, it’s still travel. In some ways it’s easier. The heat is the main difference — that’s a big thing.

Warren Joyce says he has a better handle on the A-League this season.Warren Joyce says he has a better handle on the A-League this season.Source: AAP

SH: Is it fair to say you brought a change in emphasis to the club — a more disciplined approach, based around structures? And did you find it difficult to impose that philosophy?

WJ: You want people to know their jobs. For players to sacrifice themselves for the team, and work hard every day to improve. We want them to be humble, self-motivated, and prepare off the pitch like top pros, to be ready to go again the next day. People who are fit, and desperate for success — if you have those things in place, then you tend to win more than you lose. That’s the environment you want. I think it’s different now to this time last year.

SH: Last season, you started well and finished well — the bit in the middle was more problematic — how do you avoid something similar this season?

WJ: Yes, we had a good start and then dipped, but we also had some good results. There were three distinct periods really, and that was because we almost had three distinct teams. We played one way, then brought new players in — then after Christmas, we played a different way. We have to try and build from that going into this season.

Melbourne City lost to the Newcastle Jets in last season’s semi-final.Melbourne City lost to the Newcastle Jets in last season’s semi-final.Source: AAP

SH: The club now appears to have adopted a “no big-name marquees” policy — does that sit OK with you?

WJ: We have a very good scouting network, but we have a way of how we want to build it. From the start, I talked about getting the best young Aussie players — having an Aussie spine to the team. To get them playing a brand of football that is exciting. That is what we are working towards. We don’t look at anyone else — they have their own culture and remit. I want our players to be hungry for success. That’s the market we look at. Those who have a point to prove, and players who want to win things and get better, even if they are 27 or 28 — they are our type of people.

SH: Let’s have a look at one or two of your new signings — Michael O’Halloran for instance — is he going to provide competition for Bruno Fornaroli?

WJ: He can play anywhere along the front line really — he has pace, he has a trick, there are goals in him. It’s not easy to come from the other side of the world, but he is working hard to integrate himself — he arrived a little late. I think he will be used more in wider areas.

Joyce says Florin Berenguer is similar to Sydney FC’s Milos Ninkovic.Joyce says Florin Berenguer is similar to Sydney FC’s Milos Ninkovic.Source: Getty Images

SH: Florin Berenguer is an interesting one — tell us a little about him?

WJ: Well if the Mariners have Usain Bolt, then we have Flo-Jo! (Laughs) Again, he’s a good pro and wants to be successful. He has a good technique, was keen to come and get involved in the Aussie culture. He is a creative type of midfield player — clever & technical. He’s a (Milos) Ninkovic type player.

SH: Your latest signing is ex-Manchester United defender, Ritchie de Laet, presumably to form part of a reworked defence along with Mark Birighitti in goal. Is that where you intend him to play?

WJ: The beauty with Ritchie is he can play anywhere on the pitch — centre half, either full back, anywhere in midfield. He once scored a hat-trick for United that won us the (reserve) league at Bolton. He has great experience of the Premier League and winning things. In a salary capped league, the fact he is a utility player is a big help. As for him coming to Australia — I think Ross (McCormack) has done a lot to help that last year. He made people sit up and take notice of the A-League. Word spreads, and there’s been plenty of interest from agents — they don’t always understand the rules with foreign players, but they are pushing. It’s live on television in England every week, so more people are watching it. Players talk to each other about the experiences they have had — it helps grow the league. It opens peoples eyes.

SH: Were you interested in getting Ross (McCormack) back this season?

WJ: We were interested — but it’s about timing isn’t it? We can’t actually afford to sign him unless the (selling) club wants to do a lot to help you. It’s not easy, as we found out at Christmas last year. You ring up about a player, and you can’t get anywhere near (his wages). The clubs in Europe have to help out.

Ross McCormack has joined the Central Coast Mariners after his stint at City last season.Ross McCormack has joined the Central Coast Mariners after his stint at City last season.Source: Getty Images

SH: One of the features of your season last time around was the emergence of younger players such as Nathaniel Atkinson and Daniel Arzani — is there more to come this season?

WJ: Lachlan Wales and Riley McGree will be there of course — they’ve done well. Dylan Pierias has done very well too. But we’re the victim of our own success, because there’s been two or three Aussie junior camps, and we have had I think twenty-odd players in total going away. Seven have been away with both the under-19’s and under-20s. So they have missed time and chances they could have had with us already. Then there are tournaments coming up too. It wasn’t until after Christmas last season that we got the kids ready to play. Obviously, kids want to play for their country, and the league wants the country to be successful. But as with Daniel (Arzani) last year — he would have played a lot more games for us had he been involved at the start of the season. Maybe he would have even started at the World Cup. Graham Arnold has been trying to build relationships to improve it though since taking over the national team job, which is really good for all concerned.

SH: On the subject of Daniel Arzani — he has now gone to Celtic via Manchester City. Would you have preferred him to stay for another year?

WJ: You want to see players develop. You put demands on them, and he reached some of those targets last season. There’s still plenty of work for him to do, and you would like to be involved in that, but the World Cup opens up the football world to him on a different level. The way the rules are here too with contracts — it doesn’t make it easy to sign young players on long term deals because of the salary cap.

Daniel Arzani has left Melbourne City after an impressive World Cup.Daniel Arzani has left Melbourne City after an impressive World Cup.Source: AAP

SH: Would you like to see those rules amended?

WJ: Well, most lads come through on minimum wage, so if you want to improve a young lads contract, and sign him on a three-year deal for example, you physically can’t, because you don’t have the money in the cap. I imagine other clubs might have lost out too. Perhaps Central Coast Mariners might have wanted to give Lachlan Wales a longer deal? So you see, players in this league have a good year, and then they go at the end of the season — even though the clubs might want to keep them. If the dream is developing young Aussies and growing the league, then you can’t do that with this constant turnover. All the clubs are changing all the time — there’s not many young players that are tied down to thee or four year deals.

SH: Back to the upcoming season, and across town, (Melbourne) Victory have signed Keisuke Honda, Ola Toivonen — are they going to be title favourites?

WJ: It is a level playing field at the start of the season — everyone is ambitious. Every coach will think the same. I don’t believe there are real favourites. Sydney for instance, haven’t got the same team, everyone has made changes. It depends on who settles in well.

SH: City play Victory in the opening round — you played in a few derby matches during your playing career, so how do you enjoy the Melbourne version?

WJ: Yeah, there’s always a really good atmosphere at the games — and obviously we won the first one last year, so I enjoyed that. You feel going into the stadium that there’s an extra edge on those matches, and that’s what you want — you want all the games to be like that. The Sydney & Newcastle games were big too because of what was at stake.

SH: What is success for Melbourne City this year — the championship? Asian Champions League? Bigger crowds?

WJ: You want all of those things — finish as high as you can, play attractive football, you want crowds to improve, and for them to enjoy coming to watch us. You should never be happy — you always want to do better than last year. Even if it’s just small gains.

SH: How do you relax away from football?

WJ: I actually enjoy watching other sports — Rugby, Aussie Rules, Cricket, Tennis, Surfing — I like all sports. I like watching the big events, and studying them — you can learn a lot from watching. I probably watch Melbourne Storm more than anyone else, because I know a bit more about that sport. They find a way to win, which I like.

SH: Finally, what is your long-term plan — do you intend staying in Australia for a long time?

WJ: Well I suppose the club decides that! There’s a lot of good people at this club with a vision of how they want to move forward, and how they want Australian football to be. If I can keep playing my part in helping it develop — then I’ll be delighted to try. It’s an exciting time for the game here, and the club — and you are in this job for those challenges. You want to build something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Every time I hear Joyce speak at pressers or this interview I like what comes out.

That all changes when I see what happens on the pitch.  

He himself said we haid 3 teams last season or played 3 different styles which I still can't get my head around, that is we had the players on paper at the start of the year to do better but for whatever reasons they were replaced so we are entering another season in the same scenario. 

Basically it's good to hear his or the clubs philosophy, but ultimately it's about what is produced each week.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, haz said:

From last season:

image.png.1aafb35329cd4e7927659e362d3044f6.png

If Waz can improve our consistency now that he as his own* signings, we can finish top 2.

Yes, those losing streaks are a regular occurrence every season, if we can stop that and bounce back after single losses then we'll improve our finishing position

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Shahanga said:

If we win more games than last season I reckon we’ll finish higher on the table 

TBH, we could have finished 2nd if Newcastle didnt pull their season out of their arse. But Kudos to them, they were the better team.

Just think of about the 4-5 games we lost due to stupid stupid mistakes. I think at least 7 points lost were preventable.

• 4 weeks later...